The Running Thread - 2019

Just finished my 4 miles for Global Running Day.

I will probably order some new socks from Running Warehouse because they are having 20% off select items today.

Jumping in as my morning at work is just not the same without a QOTD.
QOTD
As @BikeFan noted above and social media keeps telling me, it is global running day. Are you acknowledging this? Are you planning to run? If so, does this deviate with what you would have done otherwise in your training patterns? Did you buy something or sign up for a race?

ATTQOTD: I think this happened to me last year too...I have a tennis match scheduled today. On weekdays, I don't usually both run and play tennis. But I think I'm going to do a running activity of a few minutes to get my Garmin badge. Because darn it, I'm going to have run Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday of this week! :) Now, if my match gets rained out, I will legit do a run in the rain this evening.

I'm not buying anything or signing up for anything unless something really fortuitous falls in my lap...

Jumping in as my morning at work is just not the same without a QOTD.
QOTD
As @BikeFan noted above and social media keeps telling me, it is global running day. Are you acknowledging this? Are you planning to run? If so, does this deviate with what you would have done otherwise in your training patterns? Did you buy something or sign up for a race?

I started my day with a 5k race in Central Park, so here is a RACE REVIEW

It was the NYRR/NB 1 for You, 1 for Youth 5k.
Everyone registered received a pair of New Balance Fresh Foam Zante Pursuit and another pair was given to a local youth in need ( over 2,500 pairs of sneakers were donated to NYC kids).
It seemed like a great idea when I signed up......but when I looked at the time we needed to be in the corrals and my train schedule...not my best decision.
I normally run in the park a couple days a week before work and I have a train that gets my there early enough to have plenty of time for 4-5 miles.
This race started only 30 minutes earlier but the infrequent train schedule forced my to wake up at a very RunDisney-like 3:15am.

The bright side of getting to the train station so early is a prime parking spot right up front. So, after a nap on the train and a rather long wait for the subway, I met my coworker at the office and then jumped a cab up to the race start.
The course started on East Park Drive @ 82nd st and wrapped over the top of the park finishing on the west side....which unfortunately included the Harlem Hills.
My coworker and I split into our corrals and the race started 5 minutes later. The weather was perfect, no need for a long sleeve and not too hot.

I had a 27 min goal since I have been training long and slow for my ultra and haven't run a 5k in quite some time.
The horn sounded and we were off. It was really, really crowded and a bit difficult to pass for the first 1/2 mile. Once it opened up I was able to pick it up.
I got a bit of a cramp at the 1 mile mark but as soon as we hit the downhill just before the first big uphill I picked up my pace and I seemed to put the cramp out of my mind as I enjoyed the fast ride. But, that didn't last long as we made the turn west and up the biggest hill in the park. My pace slowed but I kept pushing and picked my way around slower runners as I powered up the first of the hills. The two mile mark came amid the rolling hills at the top west corner of the park and I was beginning to feel the effects of my unfamiliar pace but with only a mile to go I wasn't going to let up.
Unfortunately the finish line was at the crest of a hill and made it a bit harder to give a last kick to the finish.
I beat my goal with an official time of 24:50 and a 8:00/mile pace, not my fastest 5k but I'm really happy with it considering the hills and my lack of speed focus these last few months. Plus, I have a nice pair of sneakers to wear that aren't retired running shoes and I feel good about helping out local kids.
Overall, it was a fun way to take part in Global Running Day and NYRR always puts on a nice event, but getting up at that hour is a killer.

Now, I need to find away to keep from falling asleep at my desk the rest of the day. 😴

Question for night racers...

I'm running my first ultra next week. It will be an "ultra-lite" or "ultra on training wheels" for me because I only signed up for the 6-hour and not the 12-hour or 24-hour options. I finished my only marathon last fall just under 6 hours, but I'm not sure if I'm at that fitness level at the moment. So if I only make 22-24 miles I will consider the race a success; thus not a true ultra.

The race starts a midnight and is a 1-mile loop around a lake. The path will generally be lit (with Christmas decorations) and past runners have blogged that a headlamp was not necessary. I'm planning to bring mine anyway.

Now finally for the question...I usually run early morning; should I time shift my waking/running/sleeping over the next ten days so that midnight feels like 6:00 am? Or should I just get plenty of rest the day before and take a long afternoon nap the day of the race? Thanks!
Not from a running standpoint, but from having worked some garbage hours on my feet, I would just recommend trying to rest as much as possible the evening before and not worry about trying to adapt your sleep schedule. Get quality sleep in the days leading up to it, though. I don’t think anything will truly prepare you. YMMV

I've got three ATTQOTDs... I read these and then am too tired to respond at night. Kids + summer = one tired mama.

Outdoor run for sure. 2-3 years ago I used to only run on treadmills. ONLY. My husband was traveling a lot and I could drop my kids at the childcare at the gym. As I've added more kids, it just requires more energy to actually go to the gym so I just walk out the door and run. Now I love it. As far as doing the same run over and over, I tend to do that anyway.

3 people: Ummmm..... I'd say someone I could talk Disney with for one. A lot of times I listen to Disney podcasts so that would be like a normal run for me. Someone I could talk food with. I like to cook and eat. I went to pastry school right after college. Someone I could talk parenting with from a Christian angle. I always love hearing people's wisdom who have walked this road.

National Running Day. This was day 2 of me getting up early to go run. I did 4 miles. It went fine. Yay me for celebrating made up holidays. ;)

ATTQOTD: I ran today. One of the run groups I’m a part of had a special run today (they generally only meet Tuesdays & Sundays). I generally do run a short run 2-3.1 miles) on Wednesdays but that’s at the gym on the treadmill at the end of my workout. Tonight after the workout I left to meet the run group at a trail I’ve never ran on before and did a 3.92 mile run.

I started my day with a 5k race in Central Park, so here is a RACE REVIEW

It was the NYRR/NB 1 for You, 1 for Youth 5k.
Everyone registered received a pair of New Balance Fresh Foam Zante Pursuit and another pair was given to a local youth in need ( over 2,500 pairs of sneakers were donated to NYC kids).
It seemed like a great idea when I signed up......but when I looked at the time we needed to be in the corrals and my train schedule...not my best decision.
I normally run in the park a couple days a week before work and I have a train that gets my there early enough to have plenty of time for 4-5 miles.
This race started only 30 minutes earlier but the infrequent train schedule forced my to wake up at a very RunDisney-like 3:15am.

The bright side of getting to the train station so early is a prime parking spot right up front. So, after a nap on the train and a rather long wait for the subway, I met my coworker at the office and then jumped a cab up to the race start.
The course started on East Park Drive @ 82nd st and wrapped over the top of the park finishing on the west side....which unfortunately included the Harlem Hills.
My coworker and I split into our corrals and the race started 5 minutes later. The weather was perfect, no need for a long sleeve and not too hot.

I had a 27 min goal since I have been training long and slow for my ultra and haven't run a 5k in quite some time.
The horn sounded and we were off. It was really, really crowded and a bit difficult to pass for the first 1/2 mile. Once it opened up I was able to pick it up.
I got a bit of a cramp at the 1 mile mark but as soon as we hit the downhill just before the first big uphill I picked up my pace and I seemed to put the cramp out of my mind as I enjoyed the fast ride. But, that didn't last long as we made the turn west and up the biggest hill in the park. My pace slowed but I kept pushing and picked my way around slower runners as I powered up the first of the hills. The two mile mark came amid the rolling hills at the top west corner of the park and I was beginning to feel the effects of my unfamiliar pace but with only a mile to go I wasn't going to let up.
Unfortunately the finish line was at the crest of a hill and made it a bit harder to give a last kick to the finish.
I beat my goal with an official time of 24:50 and a 8:00/mile pace, not my fastest 5k but I'm really happy with it considering the hills and my lack of speed focus these last few months. Plus, I have a nice pair of sneakers to wear that aren't retired running shoes and I feel good about helping out local kids.
Overall, it was a fun way to take part in Global Running Day and NYRR always puts on a nice event, but getting up at that hour is a killer.

Now, I need to find away to keep from falling asleep at my desk the rest of the day. 😴

Cool review. I am in the city this week and have been running the reservoir in the mornings with my daughter and then down to the south side of the park to get back to my hotel. When we finished our run lap this morning we were right by the start for this race. Looked like a good crowd and I was actually able to grab a picture with Tiki Barber. I wish I had known about this race earlier. Would have definitely liked to do it.

ATTQOTD: Great question! I have been trying to decide on mine since yesterday. LOL.
  • Shalane Flanagan because I think she could teach me a thing or two about perseverance and believing in yourself.
  • Kate Middleton because I am obsessed with the Royal Family and love the somewhat true life fairy-tale, plus hearing her accent for 26.2 miles would be fine with me.
  • Cameran Eubanks from Southern Charm because she is hilarious and could keep me entertained with her commentary, plus she loves Chick-fil-a as much as I do so we could go get that afterward.

I wouldn’t mind running with Kate too. She’s easy on the eyes and the accent would be cool to listen to as well.

ATTQOTD (yesterday): The kiddos (7 and about to be 3) went for a jog around the neighborhood sporting the runDisney printable bibs which they decorated. Made it about 3/4 mile – my youngest would probably have kept running until he passed out but I could tell he needed to call it a day!

I got my scheduled training run in after they were asleep – 2.2 miles with surges as part of my 10K training I just started up.

ATTQOTD: I ran to the bar to order Old Fashioneds (Basil Hayden Dark Rye FTW!) before last call. Does that count?
Works for me – a good Old Fashioned on Friday night is my preferred way to wind down after the week.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter