The Running Thread - 2019

ATYQOTD: Yesterday was supposed to be a non-running day for me (mowed my lawn instead), but I couldn't resist running just 1.2 mi after to celebrate my favorite hobby. I was honestly motivated by the rD post of the World Showcase being 1.2 miles.

ATTQOTD: Yesterday was a scheduled rest day, but I missed my workout on Tuesday and had a super stressful day so I went on a 3 mile run to clear my head after work. I didn't take advantage of any sales, just because I am still trying to figure out my schedule for the rest of the year.

ATTQOTD: Probably a half marathon. My overall fitness goal is to be able to run injury-free, middling amount of miles and be able to complete a half, rather than race it. Marathon involves too much training, 10k is a distance that begs to be raced, but I have a hard time pacing. 5k is a great distance, with lots of choices for when/where, but again, I would want to race all-out, and the logistics of 5k don't always lend themselves to being able to do that.

attqotd: half marathon. Long enough to have people say I am crazy and that they could never do it, and me to have to assure them that they can, but not so long as to have a massive time commitment. I also would gladly trade all running races for splitboard races that I could actually attend, and not be so busy with work that I can’t even look in their direction.

Since it's 10:17 a.m. (on the East Coast at least), I'll jump in for QOTD.

If you could only run one race distance for the rest of your running career / life, what would it be? (Goofy/Dopey/combo answers not allowed!)
10K, but there do not seem to be so many to run.

5K is too short to be such a disruption in my day. I have only two 13.1 experiences and while I very much enjoyed them and want more, I am still intimidated by the distance. I have no intention of anything longer. I think if I were faster (currently in the back of my mind for next target) perhaps the 10K would also be of less interest but for now it is enough time to outweigh the disruption to a morning and family stuff, not long enough that I am really wiped out for the day or two following.

ATTQOTD: OK. I'll break the trend. If I had to choose a single distance, it would be the marathon. I really enjoy the distance and get a feeling of accomplishment upon completion that I just don't get from the shorter distances. It also keeps a lot of the races that I would love to run available, like London, Berlin, Paris, Boston (yeah, right), etc. The training can be a bear, but I actually find that when I go back to half marathon training plans, I don't feel like I'm running enough. I might have a problem...

@camaker i could not have said it better. i agree with you on not running enough. I have gotten better but even if i ran 10 miles in the morning when i see people running in the evening I used to think i should go out for a run. Granted I never did, but i thought OMG i have a problem :rotfl2:

If you could only run one race distance for the rest of your running career / life, what would it be? (Goofy/Dopey/combo answers not allowed!)
I really don't need to train to run a 5k or 10k as I run 25-30 miles/week already. I only run in shorter races to support a charity or when I need a proof of time.

For me, the race is a celebration of my training. I would go with Marathons if I were the only one participating. But since my wife cannot run Marathons (physical limitations), I will go with Half Marathons so I could continue to race with her.

ATTQOTD: OK. I'll break the trend. If I had to choose a single distance, it would be the marathon. I really enjoy the distance and get a feeling of accomplishment upon completion that I just don't get from the shorter distances. It also keeps a lot of the races that I would love to run available, like London, Berlin, Paris, Boston (yeah, right), etc. The training can be a bear, but I actually find that when I go back to half marathon training plans, I don't feel like I'm running enough. I might have a problem...
Same.
I’d choose the marathon. I feel really accomplished after each one (even though I know each distance is an accomplishment) and I have more motivation to travel for a full than a half. And I don’t like running as hard as I have to for a 5k and 10k.

ATTQOTD: Half marathon. Not a near-death event like 5 and 10Ks, not a grind like a marathon. You can set a PR, drink beer at 10 AM, take a nap, and still have part of the day left.

I'll add that the one 8K I did was pretty sweet, maybe because of the mental boost of the metric to miles conversion working in your favor. You hit mile 4 and have less than a mile to go, unlike mile 2 of a 5K or mile 5 of a 10K.

ATTQOTD: Half marathon. Not a near-death event like 5 and 10Ks, not a grind like a marathon. You can set a PR, drink beer at 10 AM, take a nap, and still have part of the day left.

I'll add that the one 8K I did was pretty sweet, maybe because of the mental boost of the metric to miles conversion working in your favor. You hit mile 4 and have less than a mile to go, unlike mile 2 of a 5K or mile 5 of a 10K.
Perhaps if I were done earlier and there was still beer left I would be more interested in the half distance

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter