The Running Thread - 2019

ATTQOTD: The full marathon, because of the challenge it presents and the reward of meeting that goal. It's twice as far as the half, but multiple times more difficult. I feel like most people could get in decent enough shape to complete a half marathon in a relatively short period of time. In fact, there are lots of folks who could at least walk it with very little training and not be too uncomfortable at the end. The marathon requires so much more that even walking can be a monumental challenge. To get in shape to run it, even more so. The extra time commitment and mental energy required means it's not everyone's cup of tea - totally get it - but for those who do it, it's quite something. Personally, I've never been emotional upon finishing a half marathon, but I've been in tears after the marathon.

Please note: I did NOT say the half marathon is EASY, nor did I say it is not an accomplishment. It isn't easy and it's quite an achievement. In relative terms to me, however, the marathon is the master. (And, tears after a half, quarter, 5K, 100-meter dash, etc. are perfectly acceptable, too.) No race I've done has a greater emotional impact on me than 26.2 miles. (Of course, that may be because I am so damn tired.)

ATTQOTD: My gut choice is the Half Marathon because of literally all the reasons everyone has already said. But then I wouldn't be able to run any of the World Majors and I wanna do that, so Marathon it is for me!

If anyone wants to hear about my trip to SWGE, I posted a small trip report on my training journal.
https://www.disboards.com/threads/every-mile-is-a-miracle.3648335/post-60699121

ATTQOTD: I think this happened to me last year too...I have a tennis match scheduled today. On weekdays, I don't usually both run and play tennis. But I think I'm going to do a running activity of a few minutes to get my Garmin badge. Because darn it, I'm going to have run Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday of this week! :) Now, if my match gets rained out, I will legit do a run in the rain this evening.

I'm not buying anything or signing up for anything unless something really fortuitous falls in my lap...

Following up on myself....

it rained where I worked, but not where the tennis was scheduled, so I played.

The matches are timed at 2 hours unless you start a match tie-breaker before the 2-hour limit, which we did...so my singles lasted for 2:20 and I lost by a hair! (6-4, 4-6, 1-0 (11-9)) I painfully shuffled in the door after 9:30pm and then realized I'd forgotten to do at least a token run down my driveway to get that blasted Garmin badge! So back out I went! 8000 steps in singles has to be worth a running badge. :)

attqotd: half marathon. Long enough to have people say I am crazy and that they could never do it, and me to have to assure them that they can, but not so long as to have a massive time commitment. I also would gladly trade all running races for splitboard races that I could actually attend, and not be so busy with work that I can’t even look in their direction.
Totally agree on the HM for the same reasons. No idea about the splitboard, so no comment on that. :)

ATTQOTD: Half for many of the reasons listed (mainly feeling fine by the time you get your medal). 10 mile is pretty close though, far enough but you can really push it for a good portion too.

I didn't take advantage of any sales, just because I am still trying to figure out my schedule for the rest of the year.

I'm in the same boat: no running events planned so need to buy anything right now. Really need some suggestions for fall running events, maybe we could make that a QOTD. Anyone have some good suggestions?

ATTQOTD: Like many have said, I’d choose the half marathon distance. The time commitment for a marathon is exceptionally hard (even though I’m signed up to run my fourth in four years...). Training for a half is still hard but knowing your longest training run is 12 miles is much better to process than knowing you have to do 20.

Yesterday’s QOTD: I ran because I’m a sucker for getting those badges on Garmin and Strava and because I’m doing a run streak for the month of June. My favorite part was the discounts on races that I was planning on signing up for!

ATTQOTD: If someone could assure me that my body will hold up for another 20-30 years I would pick the marathon. It's such a beast to master, so many variables, so intriguing, and such a journey. Ultimately though, I would probably go with the half marathon for all the reasons mentioned.

ATTQOTD: Ask me when I have a few Marathons under my running belt. As of today, I would probably choose the Half because that is what I know.

HM is my favorite. Although I'm doing my 5th marathon in January as part of Goofy, I'm doing it for the 15th anniversary and to accompany DH who is one of the 78 Perfectly Goofys left. At my age and pace, marathon training takes too much time and energy for me to continue doing it, but HM training is like @baxter24 says ... training up to 12 miles isn't too much, but up to 20 miles is more than I want to do. I am glad that I can say, "I am a Marathoner!" though.

Since it's 10:17 a.m. (on the East Coast at least), I'll jump in for QOTD.

If you could only run one race distance for the rest of your running career / life, what would it be? (Goofy/Dopey/combo answers not allowed!)

Definitely the marathon. I love to travel for races, and it seems more worth it to travel for a full than a half.

I'm in the same boat: no running events planned so need to buy anything right now. Really need some suggestions for fall running events, maybe we could make that a QOTD. Anyone have some good suggestions?

Richmond marathon in November. Great course, usually good weather, and lots of spectator support.

Since it's 10:17 a.m. (on the East Coast at least), I'll jump in for QOTD.

If you could only run one race distance for the rest of your running career / life, what would it be? (Goofy/Dopey/combo answers not allowed!)

If I could ensure good health and no injuries I would go with the full marathon because of the amount of those races I would love to still run. If I am being realistic about my situation I would go with the 1/2.

Richmond marathon in November. Great course, usually good weather, and lots of spectator support.
Yay Richmond! Don't know about the "usually good weather" part anymore though – never know what we're going to get thrown at us these days!

ATTQOTD: No clue – so far I've done a few 5Ks and am training for a 10K currently (just started last week). A half doesn't seem like something I'd work my way up to anytime soon, but who knows.

Side note: to everyone that recommended Born to Run a few days back, I'm a little less than halfway through and it's been great so far!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!