The Running Thread - 2019

ATTQOTD: My refreshing summer treat is always a hefewizen. There is a local race organizer that always has a freezer full of Popsicles and ice cream sandwiches at the end of their events and I love the strawberry fruit bars when I am done.
And I am now realizing it is adult Popsicle season.....

Wow, I haven't thought about those in ## years! Going to get a pack this weekend. Do they make them with electrolytes?

If not, Shark Tank, here I come.
They make pedialyte pops which contain electrolytes, they are not bad until someone pukes red dye all over the house.

Wow, I haven't thought about those in ## years!
I just saw them in my grocery store last week! But I'm still going through the zillion-pack I bought a decade ago for my son, who, it turned out, doesn't like them. :rolleyes: I can personally vouch the suckers never go bad lol! #alltheadditivesandpreservatives

I saw someone make frozen pops out of Nuun, but would like it so much more in a plastic tube, so please send that to Shark Tank. Thanks.
Hang on... Nuun will freeze?! I've never tried because I assumed it had too much salt in it. I may need to try making some Nuun ice cubes to throw in my water bottle for hot runs!

ATTFFQOTD: Those old-school flavored, colored ice in a tube things - I grew up calling them "Freezy-Pops" but have no idea what they're really called! After a long, hot run, I grab one of those and sit in the pool eating it until my core temp finally simmers down.
What a great idea! So great that I just bought a package over my lunch break. This weekend's post-running treat will be great!

I'll jump in with a fun Friday question to end the week :)

Fun Friday QOTD: What is your favorite post-run treat in the summer?

ATTQOTD: I love cold watermelon after a hot run. I will also never turn down an ice cream bar of any type, especially the drumstick cones or a snickers ice cream bar.

After a hot workout in the summer, I often crave one of two things. One of them is an ice-cold Diet Pepsi in a can. The can is crucial to the taste, and it must be really cold and fizzy. The second thing is a grape popsicle.

Both of these are from teenaged memories. And I think both of these have been reformulated or my tastebuds have changed, because on the occasions when I prepare ahead and have one on hand, they never really live up to my imaginary taste any more. :) So I don't really have a particular thing.

ATTFFQOTD: Those old-school flavored, colored ice in a tube things - I grew up calling them "Freezy-Pops" but have no idea what they're really called! After a long, hot run, I grab one of those and sit in the pool eating it until my core temp finally simmers down.

Don't I remember right that you have Raynaud's? (As do I?) How do you keep from swinging the opposite way and freezing your a** off? Even when it's really hot out and I'm really hot, assuming that I go into a normally air-conditioned house, after my shower I usually end up under a blanket for a few hours because my core temperature has dropped to nothing. I usually just have a cold drink. Or maybe that's not a Raynaud's thing and I've got some other super-weird thing. :) My family all knows I'm totally crazy for bundling up in a sweater for about 3 hours after my run on a 90-degree day.

Brazen, the folks who do a bunch of local races in the SFBA, provide coolers of It's-It ice cream sandwiches in the post-race snack area. They're a local brand with ice cream (various flavors available - vanilla, strawberry, mint, cappuccino, etc.) between oatmeal cookies, then dipped in chocolate.

I actually haven't hit any of their summer races before, but I'm signed up for Summer Breeze in early August...

Those ice cream sandwiches sound amazing!

Don't I remember right that you have Raynaud's? (As do I?) How do you keep from swinging the opposite way and freezing your a** off? Even when it's really hot out and I'm really hot, assuming that I go into a normally air-conditioned house, after my shower I usually end up under a blanket for a few hours because my core temperature has dropped to nothing. I usually just have a cold drink. Or maybe that's not a Raynaud's thing and I've got some other super-weird thing. :) My family all knows I'm totally crazy for bundling up in a sweater for about 3 hours after my run on a 90-degree day.
I do have Raynaud's but I'm not aware that internal temp swings are a Raynaud's thing, though maybe it is for some? For me, it manifests when my skin is subjected to cold, in the form of hives. So when I eat my freezy-pop, I have to hold it wrapped in 3 layers of paper towel lol! I have an old condo and an old AC unit; I can't even get my AC low enough in summer to be cold. ;)

Based on the elevation map, how bad would this half marathon actually be? Course is all pavement, but the temperature could be as low as 40 and as high as 80. I have done 4 other half marathons (including WDW), but all of them have been pretty flat.

I'm moving to an area where races are no where near as plentiful as the Chicago area, so my choice for a distance race in October within 50 miles of the new house is this or a 10 k.

That frustrating feeling that you get when you've been good, done your PT exercises, waited the appropriate amount of time, and start running slowly again, only to find that you are feeling familiar strains in familiar places. :(

That's the feeling I have today. Guess the only thing to do is stop doing the exercises and stop running again. Hoping another week or two will fix this.

How long has it been? I had a femoral neck stress fracture that was diagnosed on February 20th. I just started running again on May 6th.

Wow, I haven't thought about those in ## years! Going to get a pack this weekend. Do they make them with electrolytes?

If not, Shark Tank, here I come.
Here’s a pretty basic ziplock Otter pop set up. I know they make the tubes that you can then use a simple heat sealer or vacuum packer to close, but I’m not digging around for it. I stumbled upon them when I was thinking about making boozy otter pops for our bar years ago, but working within the liquor laws in Utah proved challenging. You then pretty much need to figure out how much table salt and “no-salt” you want to use in them, since sodium and potassium are arguably the most important electrolytes.

How long has it been? I had a femoral neck stress fracture that was diagnosed on February 20th. I just started running again on May 6th.

Well....it was confirmed on May 8th by the bone scan --but had already started healing. The damage was done probably end of March--and running Boston on it didn't help! Same area as you, coincidentally. It's not a "hip hurt", but it feels like my usual tendon strains. Just ticks me off.

ATTQOTD: I run in the mornings, so for me it's chocolate milk.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter