The Running Thread - 2019

Running shoe questions:

I've been in the Brooks Ghost for 4 or 5 years. I've had zero complaints.

I've been having various minor pains in the bottom of my feet since the beginning of the year. I don't think it's an issue with the shoes; I'm wondering if my feet just need a little more cushioning.

I'm thinking about changing to Brooks Glycerin.

Questions:
For those of you running in Glycerins, what is your feedback on them? What's the deal on the sockliner?
Anyone made the change from Ghost to Glycerin? Any issues?
The drop is 12mm for Ghost and 10mm for Glycerin. Is that enough of a change to really matter?
I'm getting conflicting information on the weight. Brooks website shows the Ghost at 10.9 oz. and the Glycerin at 10.6, which I find hard to believe. More cushioning and less weight?
Runner's World shows the Ghost at 10.2 and the Glycerin at 11 oz.
General question: do I ditch a shoe I've been happy with for 5 years or stick with the Ghost?

I'm at the preliminary stage and haven't even tried on the Glycerin yet. I plan on doing that this week.

Thanks.

Running shoe questions:

I've been having various minor pains in the bottom of my feet since the beginning of the year. I don't think it's an issue with the shoes; I'm wondering if my feet just need a little more cushioning.

Questions:
For those of you running in Glycerins, what is your feedback on them? What's the deal on the sockliner?
The drop is 12mm for Ghost and 10mm for Glycerin. Is that enough of a change to really matter?
I'm getting conflicting information on the weight. Brooks website shows the Ghost at 10.9 oz. and the Glycerin at 10.6, which I find hard to believe. More cushioning and less weight?
General question: do I ditch a shoe I've been happy with for 5 years or stick with the Ghost?

I'm at the preliminary stage and haven't even tried on the Glycerin yet. I plan on doing that this week.

Thanks.

My transition was the opposite direction. I used to run in the Glycerins, but they actually got too cushioned for me in the last couple of generations. I used them from the 5s to the 13s and then can't seem to run in them from the 14s onward. I moved to the Ghost and have been very happy. I'm on my 6th or 7th pair of Ghosts. One thing to look out for is the lifespan of the shoe. At the best of times, I could only get 200-220 miles out of a pair of Glycerins, while I'm able to get 280-300 miles per Ghost pair. My suggestion would be to pick up a pair of Glycerins and use them side by side with the Ghosts for a while. See how they feel matched up side by side on equivalent runs and use that to help make a decision. Also, I'm not sure what info you're looking for on the sock liner. I was just pulling some sock liners last night for my PT to modify for me today and as best I could tell, the Ghost 10 and Glycerin 15 were using the same sock liner. BTW, now is probably a good time to try this experiment. If I remember correctly, Brooks usually refreshes the Glycerins around this time of year, so look for the current model to go on clearance soon.

@OldSlowGoofyGuy .....I have also moved away from Glycerines, to the Launch 5 and Saucony Ride so probably not much help to you. I loved my Glycerines and cycled through 3 generations of them over the years. The cushioning was amazing, and I put a LOT of miles on them. I put over 1000 miles on my first pair . But they were one of the more expensive models and always felt......"heavy" to me. Started trying out other shoes for shorter runs. I guess you could say I was seeing other shoes behind my Glycerine's back.

Interested in trying out the new 16s and may do so if I can find them at a decent price. Good luck with your search and let us know how it turns out.

Last edited:

Welcome back @LSUlakes ....hope you guys had a great time.

I'm in the middle of trying something "new" to me and it's running related- A Run Streak. The goal is to run at least a mile each and every day from Memorial Day to 4th of July. So I'll jump in with today's Question of the Day with.

QOTD-Have you ever participated in a Run Streak or running related streak? Perhaps it's running each day, or running a half marathon each month, or running the same event every year, or being perfectly Goofy, or something else.
Tell us about your "streak", how you started it, and how long you've been doing it.

ATTQOTD- I started a run streak this Memorial Day as a way to jumpstart my running habits again. Was losing focus and motivation for a while.
Right now it's morphing into the "Put One Foot In Front of the Other Streak" as it's been extremely hot and muggy in VA and hard to stay motivated. Today is Day 15 of my Streak. But I will make it until 4th of July and hopefully longer with the streak intact.

ATTQOTD: I've been running daily since 4/22 and probably at least until 6/14, but I think the streak will be broken once I go to Disneyland. Waaah and yay?

Running shoe questions:

Questions:

I tried the Ghost after all the rave reviews here and not wanting to pay so much for my beloved Nimbus. But the lack of cushioning made me switch to the Glycerin. I do think they wear out pretty quickly. I can easily get 450 mi off my Nimbus, but I feel like I can barely get to 250 with the Glycerin. I really can't tell about drops and weights. They're all pretty much the same to me. The Glycerin is a worthy cushioned Nimbus substitute and I love that I can buy them for half off when the new models come out. But I'd still go back to the Nimbus if they can get their toe box back.

ATTQOTD: Never a daily run streak but I've done a race every month in a year once. There was one month I couldn't make work, so signed up for a virtual...so that streak has an asterisk.
I wonder if I did a daily streak where I just ran a mile on my off days, if it'd take me longer to get ready to run a mile than it would to run the mile?

ATTQOTD - I like to run every day so have run more than 100 days in a row many times, but never as an attempt at a streak. I have a friend who did a streak for a few years (he hit 1000 days before quitting), but many of those days were just him going out and running a single mile to "continue his streak". When I asked him if he ever just ran a mile other than these days to continue his streak, he said no. IMO, that isn't a streak. If your shortest run is 3 miles, then your shortest run in a streak should be 3 miles. Now, if your shortest run is one mile, then a one mile run would count to continue the streak. At any rate, that is my opinion.

QOTD-Have you ever participated in a Run Streak or running related streak? Perhaps it's running each day, or running a half marathon each month, or running the same event every year, or being perfectly Goofy, or something else.
Tell us about your "streak", how you started it, and how long you've been doing it.
ATTQOTD - No streaks for me. Doing a run streak sounds like fun but if I did it, for me, I would agree with @BuckeyeBama that I would need to do a "normal" run each day. Over the course of my running/workout career, I have always felt that cross training and rest are 2 important elements of getting healthy/fit which is why I have never run daily. However, I have also always felt that changing things up is important, too and I might think about doing a daily streak for maybe a month or two and seeing how it goes.

Running shoe questions:

Questions:
Oh, oh, oh! I can get in on this one! Back story: I was having non-stop IT Band and inner ankle issues in the months leading up to 2019 WDW Marathon - was in stability shoes, as I'd been told I needed, and tried nearly every stability shoe on the market, to no avail. So I tried a new-to-me running store, which did a much more in-depth fitting than I'd had previously and told me I really needed to be in a neutral shoe: the medial stability was causing my issues. I tried a few kinds and wound up in the Ghost 11, which I used for my final long training run and the marathon.

The Ghost was fine, but not great. I'm a forefoot striker and the amount/quality of cushioning in the forefoot wasn't working well past about 8 miles. I also get some knee pain under the patella in them, and I really think that slightly higher heel drop is to blame. I tried a bunch of options and wound up loving the Glycerin 16! I don't really feel like it has more cushion, but the cushion is more even across the sole: the forefoot and midfoot feel much better to me than the Ghost, which feels like all the cushion is in the heel. I really like the fit of the Glycerin, too: they hold my heels snug, but give me adequate room for toe splay up front. Grip is great, and I'm getting much better wear on the outsole. Faults? The Glycerins are pretty heavy: I don't use them for any kind of speed work, but they're perfect for long and recovery runs. And the upper and laces are ridiculously stretchy: I've got near 100 miles on one pair and I still have to stop and tighten my laces after a mile or so.

You really won't know which works better for you without trying, but I think it's worth a try! FWIW I also just started using the Launch 6 for mid-week short (but not speed - I use Saucony Kinvaras for that) runs and I like them much better than the Ghost. Very similar fit, but, like the Glycerins, the Launch feels like it's more evenly cushioned, albeit less cushion overall than the Glycerins. That may be worth trying, too.

ATTQOTD: I have done multiple summer run streaks and always enjoyed them. Interestingly enough, my total monthly mileage actually decreased as I did a lot of 1-milers.
I am not doing a run streak this summer, but I am currently in a very long "move streak" on my apple watch- 378 days! I have also closed every single ring on my watch since June 30th of last year... I maybe had a really dumb moment of walking on the treadmill during the stomach flu, but #goals.

ATTQOTD: I did a run streak two years ago for the month of July. It was a great way for me to get excited about training for Dopey. I was planning on doing it in July again but caved to social media pressure and decided to make it June instead. Going fine so far except that this last week was super busy and I had a few one mile treadmill runs at 9:00 at night to keep the streak going.

ATTQOTD: I am currently on day 41 of my current Run Streak that I started on May 1st. This is my 4th or 5th time doing a Run Streak, which entails running at least one mile a day (sorry that some people on this thread think that doesn't count, but okay.) I have also done a Margarita Streak twice, because Margaritas.

ATTQOTD: sorry that some people on this thread think that doesn't count, but okay.
Hmmm...I don't think anyone said a 1 mile streak doesn't count. I just said I wouldn't do a streak unless I was doing what I would consider a normal run or workout. Since I mostly run at lunch, for me to do a 1 mile run, I would have to block the time on my calendar, head to the locker room which is in another building, change, go outside, run the mile, come back, shower, change again and then head back to my office. For me, I wouldn't do all that for a mile. You may do things differently and that is cool. Different strokes for different folks...:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter