The Running Thread - 2019

I did one in january, and am in the midst of one now. It’s a run/Walk Streak - 1 mile a day - for the month. I haven’t run all the days, but have gotten out for a mile each day so far.

I also had a 10k steps a day Streak going for a while, and had to stop when I had Lyme last year. I’m back on it again now, and closing in on a month!

@Kazrak — Summer Breeze in early August in the Bay Area is going to be my very first half marathon! (I live on the Peninsula and wanted to do something nearby and flat.)

Very cool! My wife and I are running the 10k, and my daughter's running the half marathon. It's the same course as Bay Breeze in February, so I can testify that it is indeed extremely flat. Strava says 33 ft. of elevation change.

If you'd like, we can sync up as we get closer.

I was going to say no streaks for me but realized I am in the middle of a great one that now I need to keep alive and well. I have been at every runDisney weekend for the past 5 events and have the next 4 planned (just waiting for SW early registration)
This is a streak I hope to continue for many years

Any suggestions for the following?
Tuesday Aug 13 (75 min): Staying in Venice Beach. Is it safe to run alone? Route?
You can take the strand, the beach trail from Venice Beach north to the state park and back south you had to skirt Marina Del Rey and can get almost all the way to Torrence and you will cover all the distance you need on a relatively flat paved path. I would be fine with either direction in daylight, but skip it in the dark. There are water fountains and restrooms along the way. Plenty of homeless people and plenty of stoned people are hanging out and plenty of runners are around. You can detour along the piers, and if you need to add miles I would probably take some crisscrossing sidewalk in Santa Monica (largely because I find myself getting lost in the not-right-angle streets in Venice Beach) or detour up to the side of the bluffs at Palisades Park in Santa Monica, it is a lovely high view of the water.

Warning: there are some large hills inland should you decide to go perpendicular from the coast north of Venice Beach.

I am now entering my first Full Marathon training cycle. After a bit of rest, I will be starting at week 3 of a 16 weeks plan. While I expect June and July to be simple in terms of schedule, I am greatly questioning how I will be able to run the proper volume during the two weeks of my California vacation.

Any suggestions for the following?
Sunday Aug 4 (110 min): Registered to Double 8k at Crissy Field in San Francisco so, ok!
Tuesday Aug 6 (80 min): Staying in Downtown San Francisco. Is it safe to run alone? Route?
Thursday Aug 8 (75 min): Will be in Yosemite. I might consider hiking/running when flat an ok substitute.
Saturday Aug 10 (40 min): Big driving day. Might squeeze a small run while exploring Monterey.
Sunday Aug 11 (over 2 hours): Driving from Monterey to Cambria and wanting to enjoy... No idea how to fit a run in.
Tuesday Aug 13 (75 min): Staying in Venice Beach. Is it safe to run alone? Route?
Thursday Aug 15 (90 min): Disneyland. Route ideas? I doubt that one will happen.
Saturday Aug 17 (30 min): Disneyland. Route ideas? I doubt that one will happen.
Sunday Aug 18 (over 2 hours): Flying home, I will catchup that long run during the week.

Wherever I travel, I always ask the front desk/concierge for running routes. Also, I'll check out mapmyrun and google. And worse comes to worse, I'll just hit the treadmill if there's one available.

SF: try the embarcadero! Avoid the tenderloin district.
Monterey: if not looking for mileage, you can run around the piers/docks
Venice: Ocean Ave in Santa Monica seems nice to run along and it looks like it connects to Pacific Ave in Venice
Disneyland: depends on where you're staying. I did a ~3 mi loop around the parks (Disneyland Dr->Ball->Harbor->Katella) and repeated it over and over again. The gym was packed with parents trying to finish before EMH. If you really want to RUN, then check out the Santa Ana River Trail. They cleaned it up recently, but I never got to try it.

I agree with the embarcadero in San Francisco. I did it a couple times while I was visiting and it was a pretty run with plenty of people around. I never felt unsafe.

I find trying to maintain any kind of streak very stressful. "Having" to go for a run everyday isn't fun for me.
If someone came up to me everyday and said "Hey! Let's go for a run!" I'd be all for it. But if that same person said "you have to run everyday" I'd make sure I didn't. I guess I'm just a sucker for reverse phychology. :)

I find trying to maintain any kind of streak very stressful. "Having" to go for a run everyday isn't fun for me.
If someone came up to me everyday and said "Hey! Let's go for a run!" I'd be all for it. But if that same person said "you have to run everyday" I'd make sure I didn't. I guess I'm just a sucker for reverse phychology. :)
What if someone told you that you are absolutely not allowed to run? pirate:

Has anyone done both the Richmond Half and the Philadelphia Half? I'm trying to decide between the two for my November race. Pros for Richmond - I've done it before and really enjoy it, a little cheaper, earlier in November so better chances of warmer weather. Pros for Philadelphia - Something new to try, good reviews, it seems like it might have a more scenic course. Anyone have insight into which one is flatter? That may be my deciding factor :) From the website, it seems like the current course for Philadelphia has a lot of uphill at the end?

Has anyone done both the Richmond Half and the Philadelphia Half? I'm trying to decide between the two for my November race. Pros for Richmond - I've done it before and really enjoy it, a little cheaper, earlier in November so better chances of warmer weather. Pros for Philadelphia - Something new to try, good reviews, it seems like it might have a more scenic course. Anyone have insight into which one is flatter? That may be my deciding factor :) From the website, it seems like the current course for Philadelphia has a lot of uphill at the end?
I ran the Philly half a few years ago. It’s a nice course, especially the half. Mostly through scenic sections and it starts and finishes near the art museum which is nice. Great crowd support.

I should add that I remember 2 uphills, a longer one around maybe midway, in University City, that area, that I kept thinking was over but then it wasn’t. Then a pretty short but very steep hill after the zoo in Fairmount Park. I don’t remember more than that but there should be an elevation profile on the website

@SheHulk Thanks! I did find the elevation map on their website but it seems to be a lot of uphill from mile 4 to mile 8, and again from mile 9 to 10. This is what the elevation looks like on their website. I'm looking back at my data from when I ran Richmond and it says a total elevation gain of 114 feet. But it's just hard to really remember as it was a while ago. I was just wondering if there was anyone who had already done both that could remember enough to compare :)

data

QOTD-Have you ever participated in a Run Streak or running related streak?
About the only running related streak I have going is running a challenge race weekend at Disneyland or Disney World every year since 2015.
I have never done a run streak of any type as I need/want my day off.
Same here. I've heard and read way too many people discuss the absolute importance of rest as a vital part of any successful training plan. I suppose that a 1 mile run could constitute rest, but I prefer giving myself the ability to take a day off and not feel guilty.

@Chaitali …...I ran both the Richmond Half and the Philly Half last November. Think they were back to back weekends.
Both had decent sized expos.

Neither is pancake flat but neither is outrageously hilly either. Both start downtown with lots of cheering fans, both have an uphill section around a park, both have a festive fun finish. The Richmond half definitely ends on a rolling downhill section.

Philly seemed to have more downtown running (hey there's Independence Hall!) and cheer zones with screaming people.
Richmond seems a little more relaxed and you have some open areas without as much crowd support.
Both also had lots of aid stations and neighborhood aid stations with candy, beer, etc, and both had nice finisher medals.

You can't go wrong with either.
Or just do what I did and do BOTH!

@SheHulk Thanks! I did find the elevation map on their website but it seems to be a lot of uphill from mile 4 to mile 8, and again from mile 9 to 10. This is what the elevation looks like on their website. I'm looking back at my data from when I ran Richmond and it says a total elevation gain of 114 feet. But it's just hard to really remember as it was a while ago. I was just wondering if there was anyone who had already done both that could remember enough to compare :)

data
Always remember, 408502
The earth is flat. Don’t buy Big Vert’s lies.408504

Question for the runner folk here. I just had a root canal yesterday (yay) and so have been taking advil every 6 hours. I've read several places that runners shouldn't run if they took advil already that day or night before. (but they can take it after running)
I've googled a bunch of different articles. Lots of things about it masks injury, etc.
Am I ok to run tonight...am I being too paranoid? It would be just easy miles for less than an hour.
PS I don't take a lot of pain medication...but the root canal was a good reason to this time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter