The Running Thread - 2019

Question for the runner folk here. I just had a root canal yesterday (yay) and so have been taking advil every 6 hours. I've read several places that runners shouldn't run if they took advil already that day or night before. (but they can take it after running)
I've googled a bunch of different articles. Lots of things about it masks injury, etc.
Am I ok to run tonight...am I being too paranoid? It would be just easy miles for less than an hour.
PS I don't take a lot of pain medication...but the root canal was a good reason to this time.
Caveat: I am not a medical professional. :) But my understanding is that yes, NSAIDS are hard on kidneys, as is distance running, and the two combined can be problematic. That said, my friend who is a doctor told me that at a slow pace with plenty of hydration for not very long distances, it shouldn't be a problem. Honestly, I'd be more concerned about the root canal: exercise will increase inflammation, which may increase your pain. My dentist didn't want me running for a few days post-root canal for that reason.

Thanks @SheHulk @Slogger and @Professor_Cookie for the answers! It does sound like either option would be a good option so I just need to decide whether I'd rather try something new or go back to Richmond which was my first half in 2014. I wish I could do both but I'm trying to not spend too much on races this year as we're also renovating our house :) And I want to save money for going to Galaxy's Edge next year...

Thanks @SheHulk @Slogger and @Professor_Cookie for the answers! It does sound like either option would be a good option so I just need to decide whether I'd rather try something new or go back to Richmond which was my first half in 2014. I wish I could do both but I'm trying to not spend too much on races this year as we're also renovating our house :) And I want to save money for going to Galaxy's Edge next year...
I know traditionally Philly has had medals for the half and full that are some version of the Liberty Bell and actually tinkle! So that's fun... :) I'm considering running the full this year but idk.

Question for the runner folk here. I just had a root canal yesterday (yay) and so have been taking advil every 6 hours. I've read several places that runners shouldn't run if they took advil already that day or night before. (but they can take it after running)
I've googled a bunch of different articles. Lots of things about it masks injury, etc.
Am I ok to run tonight...am I being too paranoid? It would be just easy miles for less than an hour.
PS I don't take a lot of pain medication...but the root canal was a good reason to this time.

Sorry you had that- it sounds painful!

I have spent a decent (embarrassing?) amount of time on google in my life, especially this year. I would recommend just calling and asking your doctor or dentist. Some things I thought were total "no's," my doctor has told me is decades old information and out of date.

Caveat: I am not a medical professional. :) But my understanding is that yes, NSAIDS are hard on kidneys, as is distance running, and the two combined can be problematic. That said, my friend who is a doctor told me that at a slow pace with plenty of hydration for not very long distances, it shouldn't be a problem. Honestly, I'd be more concerned about the root canal: exercise will increase inflammation, which may increase your pain. My dentist didn't want me running for a few days post-root canal for that reason.

Yeah, I didn't think of that. Probably a good idea to have a nice casual walk around the neighborhood tonight instead.

Sorry you had that- it sounds painful!

I have spent a decent (embarrassing?) amount of time on google in my life, especially this year. I would recommend just calling and asking your doctor or dentist. Some things I thought were total "no's," my doctor has told me is decades old information and out of date.

Yeah, google can be a really bad idea sometimes. I asked my Dr. all the questions about eating and drinking and forgot to ask about running. I guess that proves where my priorities were at!

I think you'll be fine. Yes, NSAIDs can impact the kidneys, but it's going to be a long term, cumulative impact, not something that happens all at once, if it even happens. It's a combination of the kidneys having to work harder to clear the NSAIDs out of the blood stream while also being stressed by being dehydrated from the running. That's why you hear the rule of thumb that you can take them after running after you've been to the bathroom at least once. As a non-routine painkiller user, I don't think you've got any cumulative effect worries. The bigger question is going to be whether your mouth feels like running. I had an extraction in February and was back to running two days later.

My understanding about advil and running is that you should not take it 24 hours before a race and wait until 48 hours after a race. Partially this is because advil reduces swelling and your body will naturally swell to begin the healing process after a race so you don't want to delay that healing process. From what I've read, it should not be an issue for a short easy run or walk.

It is a good idea to consult your doctor and/or dentist because there may be additional factors they know about that we are not aware of.

?? No idea why you couldn't run if you have taken Advil. If you just had a root canal, then take it easy on the run, of course, but if you're feeling OK, then why not. I'm trying to remember if I ran the day after my root canal, but I may have had that done before I began running. I'm sure I played tennis the day after. :)

ATTQOTD - I like to run every day so have run more than 100 days in a row many times, but never as an attempt at a streak. I have a friend who did a streak for a few years (he hit 1000 days before quitting), but many of those days were just him going out and running a single mile to "continue his streak". When I asked him if he ever just ran a mile other than these days to continue his streak, he said no. IMO, that isn't a streak. If your shortest run is 3 miles, then your shortest run in a streak should be 3 miles. Now, if your shortest run is one mile, then a one mile run would count to continue the streak. At any rate, that is my opinion.
You mentioned Strava a bit back? Mind if I follow you? Or do I already?

I'll jump in with a fun Friday question to end the week :)

Fun Friday QOTD: What is your favorite post-run treat in the summer?

ATTQOTD: I love cold watermelon after a hot run. I will also never turn down an ice cream bar of any type, especially the drumstick cones or a snickers ice cream bar.

Ice cold water is always good for me. Cold watermelon is always nice too.

I've heard they fixed that issue with the Cumulus 21's, so maybe Nimbus is next? I haven't tried them yet though...

ATTQOTD:

I would like to try a run streak sometime when I'm not training for something, but realistically, I really like my rest days. :-)
The Cumulus haven’t been fixed! I tired them on after the Nimbus disappointed so much. I tried on about 4 other Asics models I have never normally tried in hopes of finding a Nimbus replacement. My conclusion is, I’m thankful I have a couple of new boxes from an older model to carry me over until I find something. Brooks might be the next brand. The Altras look really wide and I have heard they are soft too. I just haven’t been running so it hasn’t been an issue.

The Cumulus haven’t been fixed! I tired them on after the Nimbus disappointed so much. I tried on about 4 other Asics models I have never normally tried in hopes of finding a Nimbus replacement. My conclusion is, I’m thankful I have a couple of new boxes from an older model to carry me over until I find something. Brooks might be the next brand. The Altras look really wide and I have heard they are soft too. I just haven’t been running so it hasn’t been an issue.

Speaking of Asics, has anyone tried the Kayano 25 or the new Kayano 26? I’m on my last pair of the 22s and want to make sure there aren’t any issues with the two newest models.

Ice cold water is always good for me. Cold watermelon is always nice too.

My only issue with the altras is, and this is a trail issue, I have fallen hard three times this year and each time was in my altras. I haven’t had that problem in my Solomons, hokas, or sauconys.

I’m going to jump in with a QOTD...

QOTD: Have you ever done a triathlon? (I know some of you have.) If so, what distance? If not, why not? And what I really want to know... how much more time on top of regular marathon training would it take for an Ironman distance??

ATTQOTD: I’ve never done one, but have considered it a few times. The extra time, and my not being a great swimmer keep holding me back. But, it was announced yesterday that Tulsa would be a host venue for the next three years. Since it is somewhat close to me, it is making me think a little more about trying a tri. Someone help me out! How much more time do I need to invest into training! o_O

QOTD: Have you ever done a triathlon? (I know some of you have.) If so, what distance? If not, why not? And what I really want to know... how much more time on top of regular marathon training would it take for an Ironman distance??

ATTQOTD: I’ve never done one, but have considered it a few times. The extra time, and my not being a great swimmer keep holding me back. But, it was announced yesterday that Tulsa would be a host venue for the next three years. Since it is somewhat close to me, it is making me think a little more about trying a tri. Someone help me out! How much more time do I need to invest into training! o_O
I started training for tris when I was flush with cash a several years ago and I started the process of a custom bike frame. I ended up pulling the plug, but not before I discovered that I probably should have been a swimmer in high school. In one length of the pool I could destroy all the others in the masters group in freestyle, was generally in the top of backstroke. Breast, fly, and anything with turns and it went to the people with decades of technique. An 80” wingspan will do that, though.

I gave up when I realized I don’t want to spend so much time in a pool, no matter how much of a “natural” I was at swimming and I hate open water. I really like running outside.

I've never done a triathlon. I was very interested in trying one last year, to the point that I bought a bike and started riding over the summer. I haven't swum since college, though, and don't have ready access to a pool without laying out a significant amount of $$$ for a membership somewhere. That's the point at which things kind of broke down. I've since found that ultras fill my internal desire to "go bigger" and have enjoyed the few of them that I've done immensely. I might still try a tri in the future if something changes with the swimming aspect (ie, I get easier access to a pool), but not right now.

ATTQOTD: I have done 2...a sprint and a Half Ironman. So for the 70.3 I followed a plan that was 3-3-3 workouts (run/bike/swim). I think it was Matt Fitzgerald Super Simple 70.3 Since I was then using FIRST for run training, I used that for my run portion. Like many runners, I was nervous about the swim, but diligently did my workouts, had my stroke evaluated and tried to get in at least a few open water swims. The goal for that section was to finish within the time cut-off. I can't say I enjoyed it, but I will say that I think it was easy to get unnecessarily freaked out by it. Cycling was somewhat better, and honestly, you spend more time on the bike than any individual section, so IMHO it's the area that should get a focus during training. OTOH, it also takes the most time. My long ride maxed at 60 miles, I think, and that's a long time in the saddle. This turned out to be the piece that was the most challenging. So total it up and while it's not 3x the training time as running, it's probably close.

I decided after that one 70.3 that I didn't really like triathlons enough to keep up with it. (Part of that was because I finished 2nd in my age group and then felt immediate pressure to be competitive). I have thought about what it would take to do an iM and don't have the right attitude or commitment to effort required to get there. Thus, so far keeping true to the words that I spoke to my DH when I crossed the finish line at the 70.3..."If you ever hear me say I want to do an IM, shoot me!"

ATTQOTD: I have never done a full triathlon, but I have done the swimming leg of a tri-relay. It was super fun!

I love swimming, it was my 1st love, so the idea of a triathlon appeals to me. BUT I am a terrible biker nor do I really enjoy it. I would also have to join the gym in the town where I work to have access to a pool. There also aren't any races close... so it's probably not in the cards for me.

ATTQOTD: I have never done a triathlon, but I really would like to try one someday. There are two big things holding me back:

1) I have issues with pudendal neuralgia - I will spare you the details on that affliction, but if you were to google it, you will find that riding a bike is the worst thing to do when suffering from this condition.

2) Cost - I don't have a bike or a gym membership.

I might be able to pull off a sprint tri at some point...maybe. I love to swim and run, but the bike training would be minimal.

ATTQOTD: I have not yet. My husband likes participating in tri's because he enjoys swimming more than running. But he is also part fish. I'm signed up for one of those very beginner swim in a pool, short distance races later this year. But I'm woefully behind in that I have not gotten a bike and have not practiced much in the water. So may have to be a wait until next year situation. Time management has not been my strength this year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!