The Running Thread - 2019

QOTD: Have you ever done a triathlon? (I know some of you have.) If so, what distance? If not, why not? And what I really want to know... how much more time on top of regular marathon training would it take for an Ironman distance??

I have not done a triathlon. My fear of serious injury or death is too high to risk it. Whether it's the outdoor cycle training or the open water swim itself. Just this past weekend we had three separate people die in the open water swim (2 in a 70.3 and a third in a different tri event). And we've had several local cyclists die while training because they were hit by a car. I do small loops of 1.5-4 miles when I run and never on roads that have higher than a 25 mph speed limit. I'm not sure I could find a loop of similar somewhat safeness that wasn't coming to an intersection spot constantly and was still safe with enough shoulder. So I'd say for the time being the risk is too high for me. And I certainly understand these deaths are outliers, but I always try to keep my hobby in perspective of my overall life.

With that being said, I spent the last 28 weeks following a triathlon plan in order to circumvent my bodies response to high level run training. Several cycles of run training in a row have seen injuries of some sort. So the last 6 months was spent trying to run+cycle+80 day obsession my way to the same running performance. All of the cycling was done on an indoor trainer (Wahoo Kickr Core) which admittedly wasn't all that bad. And in some cases I really liked it because then I could do really long sessions while my daughter was just upstairs playing/watching tv. I loosely followed a plan from TrainerRoad but did quite a few edits to the plan (so much so that it only resembled it and wasn't the same). Those edits caught up to me when I pushed just a touch too far and pulled my glute. I was doing about 14-16 hours per week of training for the last 10 weeks.

Starting on July 1st, I'm following the TrainerRoad Ironman plan with little to no edits to train for the 2020 Disney Marathon. The only swap I'm making is changing swims for 80DO (Total Body Core, AAA, and Cardio Flow), but I'll be more cautious with these than I was this last cycle.

Screen Shot 2019-06-13 at 11.13.29 AM.png

It's 3x per week 80DO, 4x per week Cycle, and 4x per week Run (with Thursdays and Saturdays alternating every other week as either Brick or both events but morning/evening). It peaks at just under 20 hours of training with most weeks in the 13-17 hr range, average is 14 hours, and the average of the last 6 weeks of peak training is 17:45 hours. The amount of training I'll be doing coincides with the low end of this chart from Alan Couzens.

Screen Shot 2019-06-13 at 11.24.09 AM.png
https://help.trainingpeaks.com/hc/en-us/articles/230904648-Suggested-Weekly-TSS-and-Target-CTL
With that being said, this is the max Ironman TrainerRoad training plan. The mid-level appears to peak around 19 hours, but the training is a bit easier in intensity based on the total stress score.

I'll detail the entire plan sometime within the next week or so on my journal if you want to see the nitty gritty of it.

QOTD: Have you ever done a triathlon? (I know some of you have.) If so, what distance? If not, why not? And what I really want to know... how much more time on top of regular marathon training would it take for an Ironman distance??
ATTQOTD: Nope. Why not? 1) I am not a good swimmer and 2) don't even own a bike anymore. While training for a triathlon looks like fun, to actually do one, I would need to get a lot better at swimming and then I would probably need to travel somewhere less dangerous to bike. I would love to bike to work every day as I am only 4 miles away but the thought of biking through the Hartford area streets during rush hour with all the crazy CT drivers makes biking something I don't want to do. It is bad enough running around this area.

ATTQOTD: I have done 2 Sprint Triathlons yearssss ago and I have been telling myself "I am going to do another one!!!" but then running gets in the way and training for three sports is hard. When I did my first two Triathlons, I was a stay at home mom with a stay at home husband and a 1 year old. Life was surprisingly easy. I did both races on an old, cheap bike and running shoes that easily had 500 miles on them. But I was a swimmer my whole life so I wasn't worried about that part.
I now own an actual road bike but have yet to race it. One of these days I will get out there again, but my max distance for now would be an Olympic, probably.

I've never done a triathlon. I was very interested in trying one last year, to the point that I bought a bike and started riding over the summer. I haven't swum since college, though, and don't have ready access to a pool without laying out a significant amount of $$$ for a membership somewhere. That's the point at which things kind of broke down. I've since found that ultras fill my internal desire to "go bigger" and have enjoyed the few of them that I've done immensely. I might still try a tri in the future if something changes with the swimming aspect (ie, I get easier access to a pool), but not right now.
ATTQOTD: I have done 2...a sprint and a Half Ironman. So for the 70.3 I followed a plan that was 3-3-3 workouts (run/bike/swim). I think it was Matt Fitzgerald Super Simple 70.3 Since I was then using FIRST for run training, I used that for my run portion. Like many runners, I was nervous about the swim, but diligently did my workouts, had my stroke evaluated and tried to get in at least a few open water swims. The goal for that section was to finish within the time cut-off. I can't say I enjoyed it, but I will say that I think it was easy to get unnecessarily freaked out by it. Cycling was somewhat better, and honestly, you spend more time on the bike than any individual section, so IMHO it's the area that should get a focus during training. OTOH, it also takes the most time. My long ride maxed at 60 miles, I think, and that's a long time in the saddle. This turned out to be the piece that was the most challenging. So total it up and while it's not 3x the training time as running, it's probably close.

I decided after that one 70.3 that I didn't really like triathlons enough to keep up with it. (Part of that was because I finished 2nd in my age group and then felt immediate pressure to be competitive). I have thought about what it would take to do an iM and don't have the right attitude or commitment to effort required to get there. Thus, so far keeping true to the words that I spoke to my DH when I crossed the finish line at the 70.3..."If you ever hear me say I want to do an IM, shoot me!"
Oooh, oooh, meme time!

I would love to do a tri. I have a decent bike and am a good swimmer, though I would need to join a gym and train better in the pool and on the bike.

My issue is that I don't know the process and am a terrible introvert and would feel so out of place at one. I'm surprised I ever got into this running gig.

Learning about what to wear, where to put your bike, how to put your numbers on your arm, what to do during transitions, looking like a fool out there, etc.

ATTQOTD:
While it seems the only race options for the summer are trail runs or tris, I have no plan for either. I think I could be a reasonable swimmer, and I used to be an avid biker, but I am not going to commit my time to it. Also, I have enough of a problem not following a training plan, I do not think it would be better.

ATTQOTD: I did a tri sprint a gazillion years ago. I think the distances were .25 mile lake swim, 12 bike, 3 run. It went like this:

Swim: almost drown and got swamped by the faster women swimmers. (Men started first, women a few minutes later.)

Bike: rode a big heavy mountain bike. All I remember about the bike is that I was so happy that I did not drown that I had tears in my eyes. RE a QOTD from a couple of weeks ago: I think this was as close to a runner's high as I've ever been.

Run: uneventful, except that I'm doubly thrilled that I did not drown AND did not crash.

I have no record of the total time. At the time, it was one of the most rewarding things I've ever done, only surpassed by finishing a marathon. I will probably never do one again, but I'm glad I did one.

Oh yeah, you feel like a bad a$$ when they write numbers on your arm and leg.

Speaking of Asics, has anyone tried the Kayano 25 or the new Kayano 26? I’m on my last pair of the 22s and want to make sure there aren’t any issues with the two newest models.

I tried them and they weren't comfortable to me but they never have been so mabe that's good news for you. : )

My only issue with the altras is, and this is a trail issue, I have fallen hard three times this year and each time was in my altras. I haven’t had that problem in my Solomons, hokas, or sauconys.

Interesting.

I’m going to jump in with a QOTD...

ATTQOTD: I’ve never done one, but have considered it a few times. The extra time, and my not being a great swimmer keep holding me back. But, it was announced yesterday that Tulsa would be a host venue for the next three years. Since it is somewhat close to me, it is making me think a little more about trying a tri. Someone help me out! How much more time do I need to invest into training! o_O

I haven't yet but my goal was try a full ironman before I turned 50 but I don't think my ankles will allow for that. I was talking this past weekend about trying a 1/2 ironman. I am not a great swimmer but I will ride a bike forever and a 1/2 is clearly doable. My orthotics that I ordered came today. I am hoping it stops raining so I can go for a run and see if they help.

Question for you CA people. I am taking the wife (not married yet but will be for the trip) to CA in Sept for a weekend on the beach. We fly into LAX. We are looking for a good beach with stuff to do at night like a nice strip of restaurants or something where we can walk to everything. Ideally we could find a place to stay that has chairs and umbrellas to rent. Anyone have any ideas that can point me in the right direction, looking for reasonable prices as well?

ATTQOTD: I have not, and don't really plan on doing one. I have lots of friends that have done Galveston 70.3 and the Woodlands IM, and the amount of time they put in for the swim and bike portion is not something I want to invest in.....plus I think I would drown on the swim since the dog-paddle is my go-to stroke.....

I’m going to jump in with a QOTD...

ATTQOTD: I’ve never done one, but have considered it a few times. The extra time, and my not being a great swimmer keep holding me back. But, it was announced yesterday that Tulsa would be a host venue for the next three years. Since it is somewhat close to me, it is making me think a little more about trying a tri. Someone help me out! How much more time do I need to invest into training! o_O

I’ve done several sprints, two Olympics, three 70.3, and one Ironman. To train properly for an Ironman takes more time than training for a marathon, but not drastically more. Most weeks I had 3-4 swims of 2-4000m, 3-4 bike sessions with one long ride, and 3-4 runs with one long-ish run. Some of the runs were after the bikes, and sometimes I’d swim in the morning and run or bike at night. Had one rest day every week, with total hours in the 8-14 range. It’s a lot of work and you get pretty tired, but the overall impact is less stressful than pounding out miles on the road day after day.

ATTQOTD: I'd love to do a tri. Only problem is the annual one here has been on a two year delay while there is highway construction on the part that the bike part of the course uses. Also the swim portion is in the Allegheny River which is absolutely disgusting to swim in (just asking to get sick). They've cancelled the swim portion in years when there has been a lot of rain the days leading up to it. The do a adventure race as well which subs out kayaking for the swim so that'd be more doable.

ATTQOTD: No tris for me. 1. I haven't ridden a bike since middle school and don't ever care to again - they really hurt my back and hips (scoliosis). 2. I have no natural buoyancy: I sink like a stone and alwyas have. I'm a strong swimmer, but it's a lot of effort and not at all enjoyable for me. I leave the tris to those who can actually enjoy them. :)

I’ve done several sprints, two Olympics, three 70.3, and one Ironman. To train properly for an Ironman takes more time than training for a marathon, but not drastically more. Most weeks I had 3-4 swims of 2-4000m, 3-4 bike sessions with one long ride, and 3-4 runs with one long-ish run. Some of the runs were after the bikes, and sometimes I’d swim in the morning and run or bike at night. Had one rest day every week, with total hours in the 8-14 range. It’s a lot of work and you get pretty tired, but the overall impact is less stressful than pounding out miles on the road day after day.
Thanks! I think my peak week marathon plans have had around 10 hours running (will be around 9 this session) plus two additional hours of OrangeTheory. I’m not sure how much more time I could commit to tri training, but it sounds like I may not be too far off. I might have another 2-3 available on the weekends...

ATTQOD: I have done 3 sprint tris. I agree with @FFigawi training while longer in duration seems easier on the body as you are not pounding the pavement. I think i might have even been faster at running or it was because of the cross training that got me faster. My issue is the training and that i am a TERRIBLE swimmer. It is a lot easier to throw on shoes and go for a run than it is to get the bike out or hit the pool. I stopped training for them as i was focusing on my BQ. Now i keep telling myself to get on the bike but again more effort than just going for a run. I will do a half ironman, but not until i can commit to a year in the pool with an instructor. My last tri, i was so unhappy with my swim, i to had tears in my eyes on the bike, because i was so disappointed. I said I won't do it again till i can commit to swimming a lot.

I have not done a triathlon. My fear of serious injury or death is too high to risk it. Whether it's the outdoor cycle training or the open water swim itself. Just this past weekend we had three separate people die in the open water swim (2 in a 70.3 and a third in a different tri event). And we've had several local cyclists die while training because they were hit by a car. I do small loops of 1.5-4 miles when I run and never on roads that have higher than a 25 mph speed limit. I'm not sure I could find a loop of similar somewhat safeness that wasn't coming to an intersection spot constantly and was still safe with enough shoulder. So I'd say for the time being the risk is too high for me. And I certainly understand these deaths are outliers, but I always try to keep my hobby in perspective of my overall life.

With that being said, I spent the last 28 weeks following a triathlon plan in order to circumvent my bodies response to high level run training. Several cycles of run training in a row have seen injuries of some sort. So the last 6 months was spent trying to run+cycle+80 day obsession my way to the same running performance. All of the cycling was done on an indoor trainer (Wahoo Kickr Core) which admittedly wasn't all that bad. And in some cases I really liked it because then I could do really long sessions while my daughter was just upstairs playing/watching tv. I loosely followed a plan from TrainerRoad but did quite a few edits to the plan (so much so that it only resembled it and wasn't the same). Those edits caught up to me when I pushed just a touch too far and pulled my glute. I was doing about 14-16 hours per week of training for the last 10 weeks.

Starting on July 1st, I'm following the TrainerRoad Ironman plan with little to no edits to train for the 2020 Disney Marathon. The only swap I'm making is changing swims for 80DO (Total Body Core, AAA, and Cardio Flow), but I'll be more cautious with these than I was this last cycle.

View attachment 408779

It's 3x per week 80DO, 4x per week Cycle, and 4x per week Run (with Thursdays and Saturdays alternating every other week as either Brick or both events but morning/evening). It peaks at just under 20 hours of training with most weeks in the 13-17 hr range, average is 14 hours, and the average of the last 6 weeks of peak training is 17:45 hours. The amount of training I'll be doing coincides with the low end of this chart from Alan Couzens.

View attachment 408783
https://help.trainingpeaks.com/hc/en-us/articles/230904648-Suggested-Weekly-TSS-and-Target-CTL
With that being said, this is the max Ironman TrainerRoad training plan. The mid-level appears to peak around 19 hours, but the training is a bit easier in intensity based on the total stress score.

I'll detail the entire plan sometime within the next week or so on my journal if you want to see the nitty gritty of it.

The college near my house has an indoor gym duathlon every year. You get a set time you have to go on the exercise bike and then run around the track. You win by who goes the farthest in the set time. I feel like you'd probably do well in that after all your indoor bike training.
NOTE: I have not done this, but I see it advertised often.

I do get what you are saying about safety. I am apprehensive about the bike trails near me and being by myself. Something my giant strong looking husband doesn't get as scared about. So I stick to populated neighbordhood areas for running.

I love watching Ironman races on tv because of the part where all the people who worked so hard start crossing the finish line...and I just can't imagine how elated and exhausted they must feel...and I bawl my eyes out everytime.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!