The Running Thread - 2019

I would love to do a tri. I have a decent bike and am a good swimmer, though I would need to join a gym and train better in the pool and on the bike.

My issue is that I don't know the process and am a terrible introvert and would feel so out of place at one. I'm surprised I ever got into this running gig.

Learning about what to wear, where to put your bike, how to put your numbers on your arm, what to do during transitions, looking like a fool out there, etc.

There are Triathlon clubs you can join that will help you figure that stuff out.

https://www.trifind.com/Clubs/FindATriathlonClub.aspx

I’m going to jump in with a QOTD...

QOTD: Have you ever done a triathlon? (I know some of you have.) If so, what distance? If not, why not? And what I really want to know... how much more time on top of regular marathon training would it take for an Ironman distance??

ATTQOTD: I'm definitely interested in an ultra someday. I wouldn't mind combining running and biking someday, also. But I will probably never add the swimming bit. The whole issue of prepping for swimming and then cleaning up afterward seems too time-consuming, plus I don't have very good pool access. Maybe it will seem more appealing when I'm retired and have more time. I definitely admire those that do any form of triathlons.

QOTD: Have you ever done a triathlon? (I know some of you have.) If so, what distance? If not, why not? And what I really want to know... how much more time on top of regular marathon training would it take for an Ironman distance??

I did my first tri around 1.5 years ago. Have done several sprints and a handful of international/Olympic distance. I am now training for the Wilmington Ironman 70.3 in October.

Time: My week in general includes Swim x3 (2 U.S. Masters Monday and Thursday @ 5:30 a.m./1 solo at my club pool); Cycle x3 (2 indoor sessions 45 minutes to 1:15 Wednesday and Friday/1 road 2 hours to 4:15 Saturday); Run x4 (Tuesday 45 min-1 hour/Wednesday easy 1 hour/Thursday sprints or mile repeats/Sunday long run); Weights x 2.

I work 50-70 hours per week and unless I am getting it done in the early morning my plan is shot. My long ride on Saturday takes up a large amount of time. Some days I am working out in the a.m. and p.m. With prep, travel, warm-up, workouts and maintenance I am at 15-20 hours per week. I have neither the desire nor time to train for a full Ironman.

Expense: Be prepared. I have a road bike, tri bike, race helmet, training helmet, cycling shoes, race cycling shoes, race wheels, wetsuit, swim cap, goggles x3, a bag of swim training tools, sunglasses, tri shorts and tops, running shoes (multiple) and a bunch of other stuff. I pay for Masters Swimming. You do not need all of this to start but it gets quite expensive. When you travel for a race you have to lug all of this stuff.

My Experience: I am a far better runner than triathlete as my swimming holds me back. Nevertheless, the training is much more enjoyable. I like the international/olympic distances but will see how the 70.3 goes. I am fortunate to be able to swim (outdoors only), cycle (indoor and outdoor) and run (indoor, track and street/paths) in my immediate neighborhood. My indoor pool (Masters) is about six miles away.

In summary, if you have the basic equipment and easy access to train it is worth the effort. Best to try the sprint distance before investing time and money. I can't tell you how much it sucks to cycle for a few hours and then try to run.

Last edited:
I would love to do a tri. I have a decent bike and am a good swimmer, though I would need to join a gym and train better in the pool and on the bike.

My issue is that I don't know the process and am a terrible introvert and would feel so out of place at one. I'm surprised I ever got into this running gig.

Learning about what to wear, where to put your bike, how to put your numbers on your arm, what to do during transitions, looking like a fool out there, etc.

All of these things can be easily managed. Take it from another introvert. And one or two good conversations (even messaging) with anyone who's done a tri would take care of most of your logistical questions.

The college near my house has an indoor gym duathlon every year. You get a set time you have to go on the exercise bike and then run around the track. You win by who goes the farthest in the set time. I feel like you'd probably do well in that after all your indoor bike training.
NOTE: I have not done this, but I see it advertised often.

We had a duathlon locally recently, too. It was outdoors, though, and you had to run a 5k, bike 30k, then run another 5k. I was going to try it out since there was no pesky swimming, but it fell during my trip to WDW. I'm keeping my eyes open for something similar to come around again.

ATTQOTD: I'm definitely interested in an ultra someday. I wouldn't mind combining running and biking someday, also. But I will probably never add the swimming bit. The whole issue of prepping for swimming and then cleaning up afterward seems too time-consuming, plus I don't have very good pool access. Maybe it will seem more appealing when I'm retired and have more time. I definitely admire those that do any form of triathlons.

Following up on myself...the whole prepping and cleaning up for swimming - I meant doing that on a regular basis for training would be time consuming. Probably obvious. :)

But thinking about the running + biking. My husband has gotten into biking, but only on a trainer in our basement. In what seems kind of absurd to me, he bought a rather expensive bike and now has both wheels traded out, the back for the trainer and the front for a device that will raise and lower the bike to simulate incline.

Anyway, I keep trying to talk him into doing a relay duathlon, where he will do the biking and I will do the running. These seem to exist, although there aren't many of them. So far, I haven't had any luck. I haven't gotten him to actually take the bike outside yet, which as he says, is a good first step toward this. I am hoping for next spring/summer...

(Someone is now going to ask me what kind of bike he has. I checked, and it is a Cannondale of some kind.)

Expense: Be prepared. I have a road bike, tri bike, race helmet, training helmet, cycling shoes, race cycling shoes, race wheels, wetsuit, swim cap, goggles x3, a bag of swim training tools, sunglasses, tri shorts and tops, running shoes (multiple) and a bunch of other stuff. I pay for Masters Swimming. You do not need all of this to start but it gets quite expensive. When you travel for a race you have to lug all of this stuff.
Yep. My ex was a triathlete and I think at the time we met, his road bike alone was worth more than my car. :rotfl:

Long time, no post! I'm just going to jump back in...

ATTQOTD: No tri for me. I'm not a super strong technical swimmer. Ironic because my oldest daughter is on the swim team and I am at the pool literally every single day.

In other news, I ordered two pairs of Goodr sunglasses today and I am so excited! I have never run in sunglasses but I heard good things and I'm thrilled to try them out. Plus fun names.

I love watching Ironman races on tv because of the part where all the people who worked so hard start crossing the finish line...and I just can't imagine how elated and exhausted they must feel...and I bawl my eyes out everytime.

Crossing the finish line at my IM was an incredible moment, made all that much better by having my family & friends there too. @Keels was the best course support buddy one could ask for. It might be worth my mental sanity to fly her out to my next one, wherever that happens to be. :)

All of these things can be easily managed. Take it from another introvert. And one or two good conversations (even messaging) with anyone who's done a tri would take care of most of your logistical questions.

There are tons of resources online which can help you learn how the setup and transitions work, in addition to the local clubs mentioned previously. Most of us experienced triathletes are happy to help out too.

No tri for me, with bad discs my back is on fire after ten minutes on a bike. Swimming is actually hard on my knees, not sure why but the resistance of the water has a definite adverse affect on them and I’ve had surgery to reattach both rotators in my shoulders. Running is about the only thing I can do that doesn’t beat me up (I know, i was surprised too)

Maybe after I get a couple dopeys behind me I’ll look at ultras or trail running

ATTQOTD- No tri events for me so far. I have a mountain bike that I never ride and I don't do much swimming.
Our town hosts a sprint tri each year but the open water swimming in the lake with goose poop and worse does not sound appealing.
(we used to hit tennis balls into the lake to our golden retriever, and would promptly give her a bath because she smelled so bad from the swim!)
Yuck!

Hope to do it one day. I have several friends that have done them and they rave about the experience.

ATTQOTD: I haven't done a tri. My ex did a sprint one years ago. I feel good about the biking and now the running part, but not the swimming. My ex was on her high school swim team but I must have lead in my body. When we first me, she said everyone can float. After several tries, she gave up on that idea with me.

ATTQOTD (yesterday): I haven't, but I really want to do one. The swim is the only thing holding me back. I know how to swim, but never took lessons so it is more of a doggy paddle than a formal swim. We have started biking more so I don't think that would be an issue, I just know I would want a fancier bike than I really need. We have a really good Tri Club in town that I keep saying I will join...and haven't.

Anyone have exciting plans or traditions that they celebrate during Father's Day weekend?

In the past, Father's day has been a non-event for us: no kids and both our fathers have passed. Cats don't seem to care.

This year, I suddenly have a daughter-niece. (Not legally or biologically.) What is a daughter-niece, you ask? We've adopted (again not legally) a young couple. At first, I was 'Uncle'. I am in the process of being promoted to 'Father'. (Ok, 'Daddy'). So father-uncle = daughter-niece.

They wanted to do something for me on Sunday so I relented. I requested a henna tattoo as my gift. I'm thinking bicep ring. I'll post some pics of our non-traditional celebration if we get some.

ATTQOTD: I've never done a tri, but I really want to. I have pretty easy access to a pool (We have a natatorium as part of the gym facilities at work) and I swam competitively growing up. I am terrified of the bike part (1 because of the bike expense, I have some nice mountain bikes so I know how much even bare-minimum road bike is going to be and 2. because I am petrified of riding on the road). I'm also pretty sure that knowing my personality if I do any tri I will have to do an ironman and that's a lot of training.

ATTQOTD: Never done a tri and don’t have any particular desire to do one. I don’t really enjoy biking, don’t own a bike, and have nowhere to practice swimming. I have a baseline competence in both disciplines, so I imagine I could finish a sprint assuming I could procure a bike; but it’s not something that really interests me. All respect to all the athletes who have finished them.

ATTQOTD: I've never done a tri, but I really want to. I have pretty easy access to a pool (We have a natatorium as part of the gym facilities at work) and I swam competitively growing up. I am terrified of the bike part (1 because of the bike expense, I have some nice mountain bikes so I know how much even bare-minimum road bike is going to be and 2. because I am petrified of riding on the road). I'm also pretty sure that knowing my personality if I do any tri I will have to do an ironman and that's a lot of training.

I’m petrified of riding on the road as well. So DW and I go out to the American Tobacco Trail. My road bike handles the crushed gravel southern portions just fine and the northern 2/3 or so of the trail is paved. I’ve easily gotten some 20+ mile rides in out there and only have to worry about traffic where the trail crosses a road.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!