The Running Thread - 2019

ATTQOTD: No big plans for fathers day except spending time with family this weekend.

YQOTD: I do not have any desire to do a tri. We have friends that were into them for awhile and it takes so much more work training than I would like to put in. I am scared of riding on the road, don't have a desire to spend the money you need for a good road bike, and am not the best swimmer. I've heard too many stories of people getting accidentally hit or kicked in the face in the swim portion. Major respect to those that do it! A husband of a friend growing up went to Kona twice and I follow him on Strava. The amount of time he put in training seem daunting to me.

I’m going to jump in with a QOTD...

QOTD: Have you ever done a triathlon? (I know some of you have.) If so, what distance? If not, why not? And what I really want to know... how much more time on top of regular marathon training would it take for an Ironman distance??

ATTQOTD: I’ve never done one, but have considered it a few times. The extra time, and my not being a great swimmer keep holding me back. But, it was announced yesterday that Tulsa would be a host venue for the next three years. Since it is somewhat close to me, it is making me think a little more about trying a tri. Someone help me out! How much more time do I need to invest into training! o_O

As of this posting, I've done six sprints, two Olys and two 70.3 relays on the swim leg (it could be seven sprints if I decide to same-day register for one tomorrow).

I'm currently in Peak for my A-Race of the year (an Oly I've done twice before, but am shooting for it to be a PR/fitness test) and then I will work into a Base Phase program that incorporates the races I have before my intended 2020 70.3 (YES, IT'S HAPPENING NOBODY TELL @FFigawi).

For me, I prefer the variation that the training provides. I actually do more swim workouts than my coach advises, but mostly it's because I love how I feel after a swim workout - like, all stretched out and loose like after a good yoga session.

I find that the cycling portion is easier for me if the weather is bad than the running. I have a trainer at home and can just pop the bike on there and get my ride on, whereas it's either run in the rain/cold/don't want to go outside weather or drive to the gym and do it on a treadmill.

I looked back at my Garmin data and my training time has definitely upped by 3-6 hours a week when I was in tri training versus marathon/Dopey training, but that's also because I have to go to the gym to swim and I usually work in a weight grouping or two to make the drive worth the while.

But more than that, you need to make sure that your friends and family are on-board with the time commitment it takes to train for some of this stuff - and if you're shooting for a full IM, that means 5-6 hour sessions on the bike weekly in Build/Peak. Your life WILL change. My training partner did a full IM last year, and he had to bring his bike trainer with him on weekend trips - even camping - because he had to get the miles in. Things like that.

You also need to factor in the expense of a coach. A REAL coach, not somebody on the internet that somebody might say is good. Someone you can see, who you can ride with occasionally and in your case, probably someone that can coach you on swimming. Someone that can get you linked up with group rides and group swims to get you used to what a cluster it is to be swimming and riding a bike in a mass of people. Joining a tri club will also help - and it will be a good chance to see if this kind of endurance event is a good fit for you!

Last edited:
Yesterday's QOTD: I finally put on a bathing suit and ALMOST went in the water on my cruise a few weeks ago. So Tris are a no-go for me. I'd need swimmies and a tranquilizer just to get in the water.
Today's QOTD: I decided to sign my oldest son and myself up for a 5k that morning (free beer, free pizza, and it supports veterans- who could say no to that??), so my husband will get special bonding time with the other 3. In the afternoon we will cook out, and he will work on my trailer (he's making a trailer so we can camp for 2 weeks at the Fort in August of this year).
My goal in the next few weeks is to get each kid to an officially timed 5k by themselves. We have always done local fundraisers that aren't timed, so they are excited that they will be able to see their name on the internet with their final time. And this way they can't claim a sibling slowed them down. On Wednesday I took my 7 year old, and he was thrilled to get a silver medal for his age group (shhhh he doesn't know there were only two kids in his group). I was hoping to get him in under 35 minutes, but he ended up at 36:46.
Tomorrow I'm supposed to do an 8 mile long run. I'm dreading it. I don't even know how I'm going to find an 8 mile route to do it in. I'm kicking myself for not doing it earlier in the week.

ATTYQOTD: I never did a tri and have no plans to do one in the future.

Many years ago, I had a few summers of biking but I now find the roads too dangerous. I bought one of these comfortable bikes when the kids were young thus turning the page on any serious riding distances.

Many, many years ago, I had done a season in a Master swimming club. That was fun and I might go back to swimming when I am old or retired. Getting to a pool and coming out all humid when it is dark and cold before going to work in winter is not tempting.

I am in my running years now. I hope to keep this up for a long time.

ATTQOTD: For Father’s Day, we spend time as a family. I get a card for DH and we will probably want a brunch somewhere.

Last edited:

I'm currently in Peak for my A-Race of the year (an Oly I've done twice before, but am shooting for it to be a PR/fitness test) and then I will work into a Base Phase program that incorporates the races I have before my intended 2020 70.3 (YES, IT'S HAPPENING NOBODY TELL @FFigawi).

The Dubai 70.3 is in late January or early February. Come do the race with me & stay for a visit!

You also need to factor in the expense of a coach. A REAL coach, not somebody on the internet that somebody might say is good. Someone you can see, who you can ride with occasionally and in your case, probably someone that can coach you on swimming. Someone that can get you linked up with group rides and group swims to get you used to what a cluster it is to be swimming and riding a bike in a mass of people. Joining a tri club will also help - and it will be a good chance to see if this kind of endurance event is a good fit for you!

This is probably the best advice yet in the tri discussion.

This year, I suddenly have a daughter-niece. (Not legally or biologically.) What is a daughter-niece, you ask? We've adopted (again not legally) a young couple
They wanted to do something for me on Sunday so I relented. I requested a henna tattoo as my gift. I'm thinking bicep ring. I'll post some pics of our non-traditional celebration if we get some.

As promised:

How often can you think of a legit reason to post a picture of yourself flexing?

Close-up of forearm:

With the artist and DDN (darling daughter-niece). She looks 14 in this picture, but she's really 28.

We had a great time! She and her husband (who was somewhat distracted by Cricket World Cup), did a great job of hosting Father's Day.

I’m going to jump in with a QOTD...

QOTD: Have you ever done a triathlon? (I know some of you have.) If so, what distance? If not, why not? And what I really want to know... how much more time on top of regular marathon training would it take for an Ironman distance??

Presently, I've only done one triathlon, a sprint. I am aiming to participate in my 2nd one this summer pending if the event will happen (race company health issues). If it doesn't, then I will probably try to do another one in 2020.

QOTD: How far back do I need to go to get back up to speed on the thread?

ATTQOTD: I am way behind and have another crazy busy week. Fun news from the weekend... We picked up our puppy! She has been a great little girl. Little to no whining at night. Shes real sweet playful. Shes also catching on to "sit" easily. DD loves her and DS only like to watch her from a distance lol. He has yet to even try to pet her.

ATTQOTD: I've never done a tri, but I really want to. I have pretty easy access to a pool (We have a natatorium as part of the gym facilities at work) and I swam competitively growing up. I am terrified of the bike part (1 because of the bike expense, I have some nice mountain bikes so I know how much even bare-minimum road bike is going to be and 2. because I am petrified of riding on the road). I'm also pretty sure that knowing my personality if I do any tri I will have to do an ironman and that's a lot of training.
And here I thought your handle was a triathlon reference.

ATTQOTD: I am way behind and have another crazy busy week. Fun news from the weekend... We picked up our puppy! She has been a great little girl. Little to no whining at night. Shes real sweet playful. Shes also catching on to "sit" easily. DD loves her and DS only like to watch her from a distance lol. He has yet to even try to pet her.

Pics or it didn’t happen

In other news, I ordered two pairs of Goodr sunglasses today and I am so excited! I have never run in sunglasses but I heard good things and I'm thrilled to try them out. Plus fun names.
I hope you enjoy your goodr's initially I didn't like the pair I bought, but now their my primary sunglasses.
I’m petrified of riding on the road as well. So DW and I go out to the American Tobacco Trail. My road bike handles the crushed gravel southern portions just fine and the northern 2/3 or so of the trail is paved. I’ve easily gotten some 20+ mile rides in out there and only have to worry about traffic where the trail crosses a road.
Hadn't thought about riding on ATT. That would be a good flat ride. On the other side of town Umstead could probably be a good ride with some really decent hill training.

And here I thought your handle was a triathlon reference.
Nope it's just an ancient user name based on a college nickname that I've used online since the AOL days.

I hope you enjoy your goodr's initially I didn't like the pair I bought, but now their my primary sunglasses.

Hadn't thought about riding on ATT. That would be a good flat ride. On the other side of town Umstead could probably be a good ride with some really decent hill training.

Nope it's just an ancient user name based on a college nickname that I've used online since the AOL days.
I really liked my goodr Bigfoot’s Fernet Sweats while I was running in snow, but now that the trails are all rocky I had to quit wearing sunglasses. It’s hard enough to see my line when the sun is at my back without the tint making things worse. That being said I just tried running in a hat for the first time last week and I highly recommend it. No sunscreen running off my head into my mouth and the sweat drips off the bill instead of in to my eyes.

I really liked my goodr Bigfoot’s Fernet Sweats while I was running in snow, but now that the trails are all rocky I had to quit wearing sunglasses. It’s hard enough to see my line when the sun is at my back without the tint making things worse. That being said I just tried running in a hat for the first time last week and I highly recommend it. No sunscreen running off my head into my mouth and the sweat drips off the bill instead of in to my eyes.

With the heat and humidity we have in Virginia, I tend to get the "headsweats" too. Need my sunglasses to protect my eyes from harsh light/ dirt/pollen/bugs but also like the hat for sun protection and to keep sweat out of my eyes. Did you like the Goodr glasses except for the tint issue?

With the heat and humidity we have in Virginia, I tend to get the "headsweats" too. Need my sunglasses to protect my eyes from harsh light/ dirt/pollen/bugs but also like the hat for sun protection and to keep sweat out of my eyes. Did you like the Goodr glasses except for the tint issue?
Yeah. I’ll start wearing them again when the snow comes back.

Watch Rant!

Anyone else have the issue with the Garmin FR 235 resetting steps to zero when you sync via the cable?

I stopped using the cable because of this, but today it wouldn't connect via Bluetooth so I hooked up the cable to my PC. Instantly zero steps!

Just so you know I'm not crazy:

So I ran 6 miles today without taking any steps. Yay me!

This annoys me way out of proportion to how serious it is.

I think I'm the only person on the planet who doesn't like Goodrs for running. I don't really love them for non-running, either, but I bought a pair, so I make myself use them occasionally when out and about. They're just too big: the bottoms rest on my cheeks, which drives me insane, and the tops hit my hat/visor, which pushes the bridge into my nose bone, and they don't provide any peripheral sun protection, which I really need. I got a new pair of smaller Tifosi's that I love, though!

I am a big fan of Visors, particularly because they help with the sweat issue. The sweat tends to do the same thing run down and drip off the bill.

I think I'm the only person on the planet who doesn't like Goodrs for running. I don't really love them for non-running, either, but I bought a pair, so I make myself use them occasionally when out and about. They're just too big: the bottoms rest on my cheeks, which drives me insane, and the tops hit my hat/visor, which pushes the bridge into my nose bone, and they don't provide any peripheral sun protection, which I really need. I got a new pair of smaller Tifosi's that I love, though!
So I have some interchangeable lens Tifosi's, a pair of store brand Photochromatic biking glasses from performance bike, a pair of Revo's and some Maui Jims. With the Tifosi's. PB Bike, and Goodr's I got headache's when I wore them for an extended period of time. I didn't have that issue with the revo's or the maui jims. For whatever the reason the lens in those glasses didn't seem to agree with me. I liked the way the goodr's looked and I was a lot less concerned about damaging them so I found I kept them with me and wound up using them more. After a while the headaches seemed to go away.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!