The Running Thread - 2019

I am a big fan of Visors, particularly because they help with the sweat issue. The sweat tends to do the same thing run down and drip off the bill.

So I have some interchangeable lens Tifosi's, a pair of store brand Photochromatic biking glasses from performance bike, a pair of Revo's and some Maui Jims. With the Tifosi's. PB Bike, and Goodr's I got headache's when I wore them for an extended period of time. I didn't have that issue with the revo's or the maui jims. For whatever the reason the lens in those glasses didn't seem to agree with me. I liked the way the goodr's looked and I was a lot less concerned about damaging them so I found I kept them with me and wound up using them more. After a while the headaches seemed to go away.
Were the Goodrs BFGs or OGs?

I have been on the fence about purchasing a pair of goodr sunglasses but after yesterday's run with the sun in my eyes and reading this thread, I think I am going to try them.
I certainly didn't mean to be negative about them. Within my running group and their families Goodrs are pretty much the only sunglasses that anyone wears. I think I was the only wierd one that had issues until I became acclimated to them.

Related sunglasses question. I have issues with glasses fogging up if I pull them away from my face mid run then put them back on. Is there anything to prevent that?

@IamTrike ......they make anti-fogging wipes and sprays for glasses that you could use. Instead of spending a lot of money, I just apply shaving cream and that seems to do the trick.

Related sunglasses question. I have issues with glasses fogging up if I pull them away from my face mid run then put them back on. Is there anything to prevent that?
I require corrective lenses and I stopped wearing glasses of any kind on my runs years ago because of the issues that they present. I wear contacts on my runs (only on my runs). These issues extend to sun glasses.

Glasses of any kind are a safety problem for me. They provide obscured vision in too many outdoor situations (rain, cold, heat), and they must be removed to wipe sweat from my head every 5 minutes, which presents other risks.

I certainly didn't mean to be negative about them. Within my running group and their families Goodrs are pretty much the only sunglasses that anyone wears. I think I was the only wierd one that had issues until I became acclimated to them.

How close to your face do they sit? The further away/down your nose you can wear them can help.

Do you wear a hat or headband when you run? The less sweat that’s around them also helps with keeping them unfogged.

@LSUlakes I have my result from Sunday’s race and 3 more races to add.

Cabela’s 5 Miler - 43:54 which is a new PR by 1:46!

Races to add;
June 29 - KevM - Run the Village 5K (NG / N/A)

July 13 - KevM - Phil’s Quarter Marathon (1:00:00/NA)

July 21 - KevM - Double Trouble Trail Run ((NG/NA)

The Double Trouble is either a 15K or a 30K. When you signed up you dodn’t Have to choose which at that time, so still trying to decide. Learning towards the 30K.

So I have some interchangeable lens Tifosi's, a pair of store brand Photochromatic biking glasses from performance bike, a pair of Revo's and some Maui Jims. With the Tifosi's. PB Bike, and Goodr's I got headache's when I wore them for an extended period of time. I didn't have that issue with the revo's or the maui jims. For whatever the reason the lens in those glasses didn't seem to agree with me. I liked the way the goodr's looked and I was a lot less concerned about damaging them so I found I kept them with me and wound up using them more. After a while the headaches seemed to go away.
interesting - my vision feels slightly "off" in the Goodrs compared to every other pair of running and non-running at glasses I have, and yep, If I wear them too !omg I get a headache, too. They feel like the curve of the lenses doesn't suit my vision somehow.

interesting - my vision feels slightly "off" in the Goodrs compared to every other pair of running and non-running at glasses I have, and yep, If I wear them too !omg I get a headache, too. They feel like the curve of the lenses doesn't suit my vision somehow.
Just a note on this, it may just be the pair you have. I have 4 (I think??) pairs of Goodrs, and one of them it does seem like the lenses are a little ‘wavy’ and make my vision a little weird. I don’t wear that pair very often, but the other three are just fine and I don’t have that issue.

ATYQOTD: I bet I am even farther behind than you! Other than posting on DD29's journal yesterday, I hadn't read the question of the day or posted on the Dis since 5/24/19. I am surprised that I have a minute now but I am waiting on 8 return phone calls so I am at a temporary standstill on closing out the fiscal year. If I get some free time I might go back and read a bit but not going to answer all the questions. When I go on at home I have to use my iPhone and I don't like the new format of the Dis on my phone (probably just need to get used to it) so it feels awkward?

ATTQOTD: Back to the first unread. Anything less is the equivalent of course cutting... ;)
Aint happening lol. :sad2:

I think I'm the only person on the planet who doesn't like Goodrs for running. I don't really love them for non-running, either, but I bought a pair, so I make myself use them occasionally when out and about. They're just too big: the bottoms rest on my cheeks, which drives me insane, and the tops hit my hat/visor, which pushes the bridge into my nose bone, and they don't provide any peripheral sun protection, which I really need. I got a new pair of smaller Tifosi's that I love, though!

Not just you. :) I've never even tried them for running because I don't particularly like how they look. I can tell by looking that there is no peripheral sun protection.

@IamTrike ......they make anti-fogging wipes and sprays for glasses that you could use. Instead of spending a lot of money, I just apply shaving cream and that seems to do the trick.

And so I am picturing you carrying around a can of shaving cream on your runs just in case you need to use it for this....? And then it seems like shaving cream would block the view more than the fog? LOL I am clearly missing something?

And so I am picturing you carrying around a can of shaving cream on your runs just in case you need to use it for this....? And then it seems like shaving cream would block the view more than the fog? LOL I am clearly missing something?
dab a bit on the glasses, smear it around and then rinse it off. Almost any soap/surfactant should help, we used baby shampoo for swim masks.

@avondale--that would be interesting to carry the can around. It only takes a small amount of cream to get the job done and I only apply it one or two times a week. Your mileage may vary.

I have a friend that has anti-fog spray for his car and he applies to his glasses twice a month. Works like a charm (according to him).

Last edited:
Running Etiquette question: How close do you get to other runners? I am not really sure if I am just unaccustomed to running near other people (I have a track to myself most of the winter!), or they really are unreasonable.

Background: we have a closed loop around a parking lot that is open to runners and walkers for an hour. More people have gotten out there with the warmer weather, and some people pass very close- close enough I can feel them breeze by. Yesterday I got grazed by someone and we were the only ones for 30 yards of the 2 lane path. I was surprised and yelped, and chewed him out when he was facing me on the way back, but he didn't slow down and did not think his behavior was a problem.
We have a company relay race, and for the month before it all the former college track and cross country people come out, and they also pass close enough to make me uncomfortable (and there is zero need to draft me at my 11 minute mile). I am tempted to stick my elbows out a bit more but am concerned I will just hurt myself.

Running Etiquette question: How close do you get to other runners? I am not really sure if I am just unaccustomed to running near other people (I have a track to myself most of the winter!), or they really are unreasonable.

Background: we have a closed loop around a parking lot that is open to runners and walkers for an hour. More people have gotten out there with the warmer weather, and some people pass very close- close enough I can feel them breeze by. Yesterday I got grazed by someone and we were the only ones for 30 yards of the 2 lane path. I was surprised and yelped, and chewed him out when he was facing me on the way back, but he didn't slow down and did not think his behavior was a problem.
We have a company relay race, and for the month before it all the former college track and cross country people come out, and they also pass close enough to make me uncomfortable (and there is zero need to draft me at my 11 minute mile). I am tempted to stick my elbows out a bit more but am concerned I will just hurt myself.

I'm not sure on the official etiquette, but I'm all for the more personal space, the better.

This actually reminds me of how closely Galen Rupp ran near Meb during the LA Olympic Trials a few years ago. Not on a track here... plenty of room for everyone, folks!

Out for a casual run, I would certainly leave enough space so as not to jostle someone when you pass. I also would try not to run on someone's shoulder (although if you're running the same pace for a while, it can be hard to pass) Beyond that I guess I haven't paid attention. I will say that during races, if I am trying to pass people on a crowded course, I have jostled people--not intentionally--and I make sure to say "sorry/excuse me" as I pass.

Running Etiquette question: How close do you get to other runners?

I do a couple of miles a week on a local college track. It's usually not crowded, about 10 people, mostly walkers. We don't follow standard track rules in that sometimes there are people going both directions and runners and walkers are in every lane.

If at all possible, I try to keep an empty lane between me and anyone I meet or pass. I might not be so polite if I did speed work, rather than easy days on the track.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!