The Running Thread - 2019

ATTQOTD: Well I’m running. It has been hot and humid here. And my runs have felt harder than they should, even after I have adjusted paces. I’m thinking I should probably go more by feel than pace, but that’s so hard for me! I like to watch my pace.
This past week we had a T+D of 151 at 5am! Thankfully the sun wasn’t out for that. I realize that’s probably normal for most of you in the south, but it was the first day of summer and I’m in Kansas! Now maybe these aren’t so unusual temps here, but I need time to acclimate. It might be a not so fun summer of running...

Attqotd: I’ve only had a handful of “summer” runs. We’ve been continuing the cold/wet trend from winter and even had snow early on this past Saturday morning. Nothing stuck, but still.

The few warm long runs I’ve had have been good educational experiences for long times in the sun and (in John Glazer)GEEEEEAAR! Preferences. Ie, hats-great, sunglasses-bad with sun at my back on trails, front hydroflasks-frozen, altra shoes-not on long runs with my running mechanics, tank tops-I’ll try again after I lose a few more pounds because inner upper arms are uncomfortable places for friction burns, garmin watches-over report distance and under report vert(which isn’t real anyway), also garmin-probably not enough battery for a 50 miler.

So far, they've been better than I expected, given how hot it's been in the past week. But last night, it was only 82 and no storms. Monday is usually a day off for me, but I wasn't passing on that kind of weather.

ATTQOTD: very little running here. It has rained so much that my favorite trails are flooded and overrun with mosquitos. Now the mayflies have hatched so that adds an extra layer of ugh to everything outside for the next few days. I’ve spent most of my time on the elliptical the last few weeks. I’m hoping we dry out enough this week to start back on outside runs.

Attqotd: I have watched a few. The only non-doc though was “Prefontaine” which was good. I’ve watched a few docs recently on ultra running, “The Source” about Courtney Dauwalter, who has won a few ultras outright, not just the women’s division; “Made to be Broken” following Karl “Speedgoat” Mentzer breaking the AT through hike speed record; and “The Barkley Marathons: The Race That Eats It’s Young.”
Yep, loved those, too! :thumbsup2

DH wants to see this movie but has a really weird fear of ventriloquist dolls. We kept seeing the Toy Story 4 monorail last week and it had not one but TWO of those dolls on it. He says he will power through but if normal people (i.e. not ventriloquist doll phobics) are calling them terrifying I better give him another trigger warning.
I share your DH's phobia and the comments in here are freaking me out and also helping me prepare lol! Oy, this may be a tough one.

ATTQOTD: It's been summer since early April here in Florida... every outdoor run is sucking a little more life out of me. :faint: And we haven't even hit the worst of summer yet. :faint::faint: I thought it was just my annual, incorrect feeling of "this year feels hotter than last year," but it turns out May actually was our hottest May on record. So that's fun. :scared:

ATTQOTD: I’ve been running on my treadmill. It’s mostly because I want the softer surface for my hip, but it’s miserably hot and humid for only being June here in FL. I ran outside once for 100m repeats and was happy to not have to go out there for another week. Well, those plans went out the window when a black bear took up residence in our neighborhood. I saw two people running this morning, but I’m still too scared.

ATTQOTD: It's been all over the map as far as running conditions go here in NC. Over the past month, I've run in T+Ds ranging from 126 to 161. I've been very cognizant of paring my pace back based on the conditions, but it's still been oppressive most of the time. The biggest thing I would like is more cloud cover. The same T+D feels very different when run under clouds versus with the sun beating down! This summer's goal has been to re-acclimate to 5 days/week running on a pre-plan before starting up training in earnest in mid-August. So far, so good.

ATTQOTD: slow & light mileage here too. I somehow don’t think the heat has been as bad this year in PA compared to previous June’s? Looking at the forecast the temp is going to jump in the coming week.

ATTQOTD regarding summer:
I have been reflecting on what I thought summer would be, and what it is or is not quite a bit the last few days. I thought I would be back to doing 5:15am runs on a trail. Zero times has this happened. My last chance for that comes tomorrow but I give it a 5% chance of happening.
I thought I would trade some of the total mileage for other summer activities and try to work on speed to feel better about a smaller total number. I have added lots of picnics and kayaking with kids, but not figured out how to work speed into my time as that is more mental effort than I can expend so I stick to my arbitrary total mile target. And not only am I not getting faster, I am slower as the humidity has been a bit rough.
I am also trying to determine if the short sleeve shirt is better than the tank as I can use less sunscreen and have less arm rub in the humidity that has set in for summer.

@Slogger
We went there several years ago. Much of that area's landscape is other worldly and just beautiful. I believe that's Mile 13 on that road. Depending on what time of day you go to that spot, there might be a lot of company. I wasn't the only one pulling over there and pretending like I was on a long run. I think a busload actually pulled up and people got out. There were a couple of speedy cars (I'm guessing people who live there) that came through quickly, but I think most drivers were used to (and accepting of) people standing in the road there. If you have the time and/or care about old Western movies (John Wayne, etc) , there's a small $2 museum at Goulding's Lodge that gives a nice history of life in that area and many films that were done there.

ATTQOTD: I technically haven't started my plan for my fall marathon yet, but I've been running 5-6 days per week and have mixed in some tougher runs. I'm pretending to like the heat/humidity this year... more like I'm trying to embrace it because I know if I can survive this summer then the fall runs should feel amazing. I mostly run in the morning when it's only 70, but humidity is usually in the 90%s. I have run some in the afternoon when it's been in the 80s, but I don't like that much even though the humidity is usually a bit lower.

@Slogger
We went there several years ago. Much of that area's landscape is other worldly and just beautiful. I believe that's Mile 13 on that road. Depending on what time of day you go to that spot, there might be a lot of company. I wasn't the only one pulling over there and pretending like I was on a long run. I think a busload actually pulled up and people got out. There were a couple of speedy cars (I'm guessing people who live there) that came through quickly, but I think most drivers were used to (and accepting of) people standing in the road there. If you have the time and/or care about old Western movies (John Wayne, etc) , there's a small $2 museum at Goulding's Lodge that gives a nice history of life in that area and many films that were done there.
If you head down the Colorado in Moab there is a winery and hotel with a movie museum for everything that has been shot in that part of the red desert. The race i’m running there in November showcases The Magnificent Seven Trail.

DH wants to see this movie but has a really weird fear of ventriloquist dolls. We kept seeing the Toy Story 4 monorail last week and it had not one but TWO of those dolls on it. He says he will power through but if normal people (i.e. not ventriloquist doll phobics) are calling them terrifying I better give him another trigger warning.
There is one part in particular that I remember from the movie where they included a jump scare with one of them. LIKE WHY PIXAR?! My 7 year old didn't mention being scared of them, though, so that's a plus. Haha.

QOTD: It's officially summer now, so I wanted to ask how is everyone enjoying their summer runs so far?

ATTQOTD: Little to no running for me currently, but I have been going out for walks with the puppy twice a day for about a mile each. Shes to young to take on any actual runs yet but shes enjoying the sights and sounds of being outside. I hope to soon take her for a walk then bring her in and I run a little bit. Puppy life is busy! lol
Hi. I love the heat so much. It's why I can live in Arizona. 🌵
I am juuuust about to the point where I am going to need to start waking up earlier, mostly because marathon training means longer runs, but also gotta run at the "coolest" part of the day, which means anywhere between 78-82 degrees. However, yesterday I slept in and had to move my run to 5pm at the hottest part of the day. It was 105 and I did my best to find the shaded routes and take water breaks. It was hot, but I survived. Definitely don't want to make that mistake all summer. 🥵

Also, I require more pictures of your new puppy thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter