The Running Thread - 2019

Hey @roxymama , sorry about your cold and not having your best race. Thanks for sharing a race report and post a pic of the medal if you can.

When is signup for the Chicago marathon lottery?

BC9F87A6-958A-4616-8056-D5196BE51974.jpeg

53289FE9-C4E1-4A30-909C-7BE2FF81308D.jpeg

it was a dual sided medal and they gave us macaroons!!!

Chicago lottery signups start 10/21 and close 11/3. The guaranteed apps start 10/28.

I’m likely gonna hold off on next year’s so I can get back to being more consistent before biting off more than I can chew. We shall see!

Hi everyone! The weather has finally cooled off in Virginia and weather people promise no more 90 degrees days this year! Yay!
Well the change in weather means everyone in my family has come down with a cold. Wife, kids, mom, dad, and me too.

What tips do you have to minimize the effects of a cold and congestion and keep on running? Medication, hot shower, goat yoga? What works for you?
A sense of gnarliness. If I can power through work, I can power through a run. Last week though I crossed that line and missed both by throwing my flu shot on top of a cold.

What tips do you have to minimize the effects of a cold and congestion and keep on running? Medication, hot shower, goat yoga? What works for you?
If not too bad, I find that running helps fight the cold. If bad, then it becomes an opportunity for recovery.

I will take acetaminophen without hesitation if headachy or hurting: I have no energy to waste on pain.

Most of my colds start in the sinus and if that is not cleared up, degenerates in the lungs. So cleaning the sinus with some kind of salty solution two or three time a day when I have a cold is a must.

The only medicine I'll take is guaifenesin (plain Mucinex without anything else in it) and keep on running. Let's just say that the combination of guaifenesin (a mucous thinner) and a run, especially in the cold weather can cause a prodigious output. My theory is it gets all the bad stuff out of you.

I'm also suffering from a cold right now, and it is the peak week of my November 3 marathon training.

So far it's all in my sinuses without much coughing, but I didn't get my run in today because of work obligations. I'm still going to try to get all my miles in this week. But when you feel blah and can't sleep well because of the sinus pressure, it is tough.

Hi everyone! The weather has finally cooled off in Virginia and weather people promise no more 90 degrees days this year! Yay!
Well the change in weather means everyone in my family has come down with a cold. Wife, kids, mom, dad, and me too.

Benadryl tablet and a strong coffee do the trick for me. I've pretty much had to do it every 4 weeks because my toddlers started day care about the same time I took up running as a hobby.

I am VERY excited about fall! I am not very excited about fall colds, but baby goats make me smile and laugh, one of which makes me cough to clear congestion. Like @OldSlowGoofyGuy , I am a fan of guaifenesin and if upper respiratory challenges exist anything with a D after it is helpful but annoying to acquire. If I can slow down the upper snot production, the lower benefits. I am also a loud proponent of a forward fold, down dog or anything that gets your head level with or below your hind quarters to move the congestion around so it does not settle. Coupling motion with vapor, particularly in tea form, works well for me. If you are not a fan of the classic nose clearing mint tea, there are many herbal blends that may more agree with your tongue but anything that you like is helpful. I tend to go with anise tea, some forward toe touches with or without more yoga poses (because they are good for me once I start!) followed by nose blowing and a very chill run. Maybe with a cough drop.
I hope you feel better soon!

I normally get sinus infections instead of colds, and nasal spray plus Zyrtec normally do the trick for me. My husband personally believes that a shot of vodka before going to sleep clears up his colds. He is rarely ever sick and the vodka always seems to work when he is sick, so maybe he is on to something. :confused3:rotfl: Hope you feel better!

If I have no fever, and I can breath, I run. If I am coughing so bad I am having trouble breathing I don't run. But a minor cold, i find the fresh air helps clear me out. I just end up cleaning things out while on the run. Let's just say nobody would want to be running behind me. :rolleyes:

I have the full whirlwind weekend recap in my training journal https://www.disboards.com/threads/dream-believe-achieve-comments-welcome.3660447/post-61156707

The Chicago Women's 10 Mile race was my "comeback" race for the year after recovering from a broken hip and I killed it!!! I needed under 1:35 to move up to corral C for the Disney Marathon and wanted a 1:32ish time that I was on track for a race last March before my injury. I finished on Saturday with a chip time of 1:32:41!!! I am still in shock that I managed to pull that off.

I have the full whirlwind weekend recap in my training journal https://www.disboards.com/threads/dream-believe-achieve-comments-welcome.3660447/post-61156707

The Chicago Women's 10 Mile race was my "comeback" race for the year after recovering from a broken hip and I killed it!!! I needed under 1:35 to move up to corral C for the Disney Marathon and wanted a 1:32ish time that I was on track for a race last March before my injury. I finished on Saturday with a chip time of 1:32:41!!! I am still in shock that I managed to pull that off.

View attachment 442752
Awesome job. I need to do another 10 miler, great distance to race!

Question for folks that have run MCM before. I had my bib mailed to me, because at registration time I had no idea what my travel plans would be. Now that I have them nailed down, I have time to go to the expo. Is it worth it? I'm not huge on merchandise, but this is my first 50k. Do they have much in the way of race merchandise for sale?

It’s been quite some time since I’ve had time to post and since today turned into a lazy snowy day not wanting to leave the house kind of day I figured I’d hop on and do a race report for the Hot Chocolate 15k. I was definitely undertrained. Over the summer I only ran 1-2 times a week and no more than 4 miles. Labor Day came around and I figured I needed to get in gear and get some kind of plan going. I thought the race was later in the month but nope, first weekend in October it is. I knew September would be difficult to get runs in, I had a lot of OT scheduled and more came up as the month went on. I think every week I worked 6 days plus a few doubles thrown in the there so needless to say not a lot of running happened. The furthest I got in was 5 miles.

Working graveyards does not make it easy for getting sleep prior. I managed to get about 2 hours sleep in. As race day approached the weather finally started to cool down. Initial temps were predicted to be in the upper 30’s at the start. Race morning turned out to be warmer in the mid 40’s so a quick change to my outfit I was out the door. I dislike driving and parking downtown but thankfully I know of a lesser known garage near the start. As I was looking for the shortest line for the potties I saw I familiar face. One of my dads really good friends and his wife. She was running and he planned on riding his bike around the course for cheer support. Turns out her and I were in the same corral so we stuck together until the start. Without having much training in I made a loose plan to run 3-4 miles continuous and then run/walk the rest. I planned on more of an easy run pace which is 14:02. First miles as always was way too fast then I settled in. Ended up running continuous for the first 5k. I probably could have gone longer but wanted to make sure I had enough in me to finish. My dads friend was just a bit ahead of me so every time her husband stopped to cheer he would wait for me and cheer me on too. That was a great motivator and distraction to see where I would spot him next. The last mile I was done. The numbers don’t quite show it because there was a slight downhill and I pushed deep knowing there was only one more mile but I struggled a bit. I spotted an officer I knew directing traffic but knew I couldn’t stop so I just hollered and waved and kept going. I ended up finishing in 2:08 and some change. A little bit faster than easy pace and surprisingly I only finished a minute slower than last years time and I was more trained then. I guess it shows I have a better base than I thought even though the last mile was tough. Splits were 12:30, 13:10, 12:58, 14:12, 13:45, 14:01, 14:20, 13:51, 14:07, and then the last .3ish push 11:58. You can see where the slight hills were in miles 4 and 7. Overall not too bad under the circumstances! In the after race area I managed to find my dads friends again so we enjoyed some chocolate and caught up with each other. Then it was back home to get cleaned up and off to bed. Still haven’t mastered sleeping after a run especially after a race but managed a few more hours and then off to work for the night.

Next up is to get back on a plan. I need to get the structure back, I don’t do as well without it. I’m looking at doing a winter series, I thinks it’s 2 5ks, a 4 mile and then I just have to decide the final distance 10K or half for the last race in March. Then probably the colfax half and bolder Boulder in May. And maybe one of these days I’ll get back to updating my journal but baby steps. Now it’s back to enjoying the first snow of the year from inside the house.

CD81234F-6B8C-482D-95FD-11F5DE7F2244.jpeg
Sideways photo with the creepy marshmallow guys!

Question for folks that have run MCM before. I had my bib mailed to me, because at registration time I had no idea what my travel plans would be. Now that I have them nailed down, I have time to go to the expo. Is it worth it? I'm not huge on merchandise, but this is my first 50k. Do they have much in the way of race merchandise for sale?

If you're looking for race merchandise, then it does have a lot. Not sure how much of it is online. The expo is extremely crowded, like really wall-to-wall people.

If you're not staying at the convention center hotel (where the expo is), then the expo is a huge pain in the a** to get to. It is not located right at a metro stop, so they run bus shuttles from the nearest metro. If you drive (I'm local, so I drove), it's still a huge hassle and the parking is ridiculously expensive. Possibly an Uber from your hotel might be a better solution, but I would bet it would also be pretty expensive.

I did the MCM in 2017, which may have been the first year they had the expo in the convention center. (The previous years I did the 10K and the expo was in the DC Armory - so much more convenient.) I really didn't like the expo in the convention center - way too crowded, driving/parking was a hassle and expensive.

A quick question for those of you who understand your Garmin better than me...

I am setting things up for Chicago this Sunday and am planning to mark mile laps manually. I have auto-pause turned off. Am I correct in my believing that the “average lap” setting will now display the average of my double-taps for laps? And does anybody have any other settings advice?

A quick question for those of you who understand your Garmin better than me...

I am setting things up for Chicago this Sunday and am planning to mark mile laps manually. I have auto-pause turned off. Am I correct in my believing that the “average lap” setting will now display the average of my double-taps for laps? And does anybody have any other settings advice?

Some one who is good at Garmins will have a better answer for you but I had to share my Chicago data from last year bc I find it insane. For the record I wrote on my arm the total time elapsed range I should be hitting at each mile on the two ends of my “ok zone” per my coach and was more a slave to the mile marker clocks than to my watch’s pace. I did hit the lap button when I’d pass the markers but I also know I didn’t spend tons of time setting up my watch a better way. I also wasn’t so accurate at remembering to hit the button at the right times always. If you look at this quickly it almost looks like I ran an Ultra :)
E87A6E72-FD54-4E15-8B8F-929E9840BC12.png
C46F489E-F8B9-4EAF-B512-5B9A2696C86F.png

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!