The Running Thread - 2019

Great race recaps and monthly mileage everyone.

My November totals:

Distance 125.8 miles
Average Pace 9:48
Total Elevation 932 ft
Running Days 15

BAD-I missed most of the first 10 days of the month due to being sick, and then spent the remainder of the month on the treadmill trying to get better and not run outside in the "elements."
GOOD-Surpassed my all time yearly mileage during the month.

November Totals

Miles: 92.83 (so close to another 100-mile month but recovering from my 11/3 marathon didn't allow that)
Time: 15:22:35
Average Pace: 10:07
Average HR: 159

I was on the treadmill way more this month than I like due to extenuating circumstances (my daycare was unexpectedly closed for two weeks, rainstorms, etc.).

And this week's 9-miler I cut to 5 because I was on the treadmill again. I should have done it on Saturday, which was a perfect morning for running (and would have put me over 100 for the month!), but I went hunting instead. And saw no bucks, so that was a waste!

But feeling good with 6(?) weeks left to Disney.

Came across something interesting. Chicago Rock N Roll 2020 has a new distance. Instead of the Sunday 10k they are replacing it with a 12k in honor of the 12th anniversary. So that would be the same morning as the half.

Tempted since it's a distance I've never seen offered around here (and automatic PR.)

My November running mileage was slim. I had a race right off the bat and then didn't run much at all rest of the month. My family did get a peleton (bike, not treadmill) and so I've been logging my miles via bike and getting used to it. Hoping to mix run & bike more this month but not training for anything in particular right now. I'll try to figure that out sometime this month.

NOTICE for those thinking about the Chicago Marathon:
The 2020 application will close at 2 p.m. (U.S. Central Time) on Tuesday, December 3.
Come join me next October :)

November miles: 39.07
Year to Date: 357.98

Positives: Have created 4 walking routes of various distances (1.7 to just under 3), two of which have either an easy hill or a not so nice hill. Completed my second 5k post back injury. Continued PT. I have two December goals: 1) making to to 400 miles for the year and 2) completing a 12k; a bit nervous about that as no distance walked since I restarted has been anywhere near that.

Not Positive: PT has managed to severely aggravate an old knee injury (there was one day were I was almost not weight bearing!). They moved PT from land to water to see if that helps, and it has to a point. However, between PT and the constant cold dampness the knee is sore more than it is not.

November miles: 99.1 (and yes that number bothers me....😜). Took a week off because I tweaked my hamstring but it’s feeling a lot better now.

Ran the Charlotte Turkey trot on thanksgiving morning with my sister in law. We did packet pickup that morning so it worked out well for us in that we got a parking spot really close to the finish line. We did the 8k option that started at 8:30. Temps were in the mid 40s and it felt nice once the sun was out. The race went pretty well for me. I’ve not run five miles straight since I tweaked my hamstring a few weeks before choosing to do intervals just to be on the safe side. I decided to run it straight since it was feeling good. My only complaint (and its a small one) is that the race felt very crowded. Usually most races spread out after the first mile but it seemed like I was running in big packs of people and just a mafia of strollers the whole time. I finished with an average pace of 9:43 which is fast for me. My biggest accomplishment of the morning was only finishing three minutes behind my sister in law. She is five months pregnant and she still smoked me. Overall it was nice to get out and run a bit beforehand headed back for a day with the in laws and family.

Came across something interesting. Chicago Rock N Roll 2020 has a new distance. Instead of the Sunday 10k they are replacing it with a 12k in honor of the 12th anniversary. So that would be the same morning as the half.

Tempted since it's a distance I've never seen offered around here (and automatic PR.)

My November running mileage was slim. I had a race right off the bat and then didn't run much at all rest of the month. My family did get a peleton (bike, not treadmill) and so I've been logging my miles via bike and getting used to it. Hoping to mix run & bike more this month but not training for anything in particular right now. I'll try to figure that out sometime this month.

The 2020 application will close at 2 p.m. (U.S. Central Time) on Tuesday, December 3.
I saw this!!! But I think I’m skipping it next summer. It was just soooo hot. I have been looking at race calendars and looking at the shamrock shuffle, soldier field 10 mile, north shore 5k, and hot chocolate for next year for my Chicago races. Maybe? Still checking them all out.

I signed up for the lottery with my running buds. Have some family issues so may have to defer if I get in, but I figured it's worth a shot.

I saw this!!! But I think I’m skipping it next summer. It was just soooo hot. I have been looking at race calendars and looking at the shamrock shuffle, soldier field 10 mile, north shore 5k, and hot chocolate for next year for my Chicago races. Maybe? Still checking them all out.

I will definitely be at the shuffle! I think I've gotten lucky on the few years I ran the RnR with the weather (never did the half, always 5k and/or 10k.) July half always seems risky with heat here.

I signed up for the lottery with my running buds. Have some family issues so may have to defer if I get in, but I figured it's worth a shot.

May the odds be in your favor!

Thank you for sending this! I have never run a Major. I have been thinking about Chicago for a few years but timing has never been good. This year I wanted to apply and then completely forgot the deadline was tomorrow! My name is now in the drawing. Thanks!

Come join me next October

Aaaahhhh! I'm torn. I can use my 2018 Dopey Marathon (or even the dreadful 2019 Boston) to qualify for Chicago. BUT, I can also time qualify--just barely--for NYC with a half I did this year. Theoretically, I could use Boston 2019 to go to Chicago in 2021, assuming they don't change the time standards. I'm just worried that if I don't get into YC, then I'm out for the year. And I'm not the kind of person who'd say "Screw it, let's do both". Guess I have 5 or so more hours to decide. No pressure!

Aaaahhhh! I'm torn. I can use my 2018 Dopey Marathon (or even the dreadful 2019 Boston) to qualify for Chicago. BUT, I can also time qualify--just barely--for NYC with a half I did this year. Theoretically, I could use Boston 2019 to go to Chicago in 2021, assuming they don't change the time standards. I'm just worried that if I don't get into YC, then I'm out for the year. And I'm not the kind of person who'd say "Screw it, let's do both". Guess I have 5 or so more hours to decide. No pressure!

I hate saying not to come to Chicago, but it seems like if you have the chance to do NYC but may not in a future year. But probably have the chance to do Chicago again. Then maybe NYC seems right.
(don't tell anyone from Chicago I said this.)
(but also if you pick Chicago that is super cool too!)

Sounds like NYC is the way to go since Boston 2019 would still be good for Chicago later. Of course that means missing out on DIS peeps. But maybe some are doing NYC.

Question of the Day:
As the last weekend in the US seems to be about being thankful and consumption, with respect to the thread topic, (a) what Disney and/or running related items are you thankful for? (b) what running and/or Disney related things did you buy on Black Friday, small business Saturday, the Sunday with no tagline, or Cyber Monday?

ATTQOTD:
(a) I got a chance to use my friend's CM discount for two extra Disney trips this year! I got to take my kids to their first Disney race, and they loved it. They asked when they can go back to run the kids mile- if it were not already sold out in January or February I would have signed them up and figured out the how to pay for a trip later. They did reflect that it was more fun than the local Turkey Trot 1k, but agreed that they wanted to do both in the future, one of these seems more attainable. The inability to move my swollen ankles during pregnancy has left many lasting marks, one of which is an immense gratitude that they work, and amazement that they have worked in concert with the rest of my body to carry me through 3 half marathons (however slow) and nearly 500 miles this year.
(b) There was no way I was heading out on Friday! Saturday I picked up some new socks (smartwool and taller Feetures) and tried to buy shoes, but I cannot bring myself to pay full price for the 2019 Adrenalines when the 2020s are already out. I have been stalking the smartwool skirt @PrincessMickey recommended about 20 pages back, but it has only been full price where I have seen it. There were new fuzzy kids PJs purchased from Disney, but that was the extent of the Mouse cash spent.

With travel to and from Florida over Thanksgiving weekend for the Space Coast Marathon, I'm a little late to the game for the November training summary. November was a bit of a dog's dinner from a training standpoint with multiple hamstring flare ups and dry needling sessions to keep things in one piece to get ready for Space Coast on December 1st. As a result, the numbers were not where I wanted them to be:

November Training Summary
Total Miles: 121.22
Average Pace: 10:32/mile
Average HR: 145 bpm
Training Time: 21:03:38

The monthly mileage should have been closer to 148, but I did what I could. Now it's time to focus on the hamstring and getting it a little rest to see if that can get it settled down in time for a comfortable Dopey here in a few weeks.

ATTQOTD: I am thankful for all my running gear, and for finding running gear that I am happy with! This includes but isn't limited to my phone, watch, earphones, running skirts, shoes, and socks. And now that I've found what I like, I have multiples of the same size and make of skirts, shoes, and socks, just in different colours or patterns!

And this isn't an item... but I am very thankful for the re-opening of my local park this year, which had been closed for over 2 years while they made some major upgrades and improvements to it. It is amazing to run through now - wide open paths with enough space for runners, walkers, and cyclists, nice scenery along the way, and even proper toilets at regular intervals throughout the park. I can easily do a 5k loop inside without needing to cross any roads. Oh, and it's also very well lit and fairly safe even before sunrise or after sunset. All in all, extremely happy with my usual outdoor running route now!

Oh and Disney wise - I am thankful I finally got to do my first WDW runDisney race weekend!

With regard to part b of QOTD - I somehow managed to avoid buying anything running-related over the weekend despite being bombarded with newspaper articles, advertisements, and emails with sales! Though this might have been because I had already gone a bit nuts at the WDW Wine and Dine Expo and bought loads of running stuff there...

For me for the Aftershokz, I put in the foam earplugs for the indoor track or treadmill or the airplane, and they work well that way for blocking out ambient noise.

Interesting, didn't realise that Aftershokz came with earplugs and that that would work to block out ambient noise! Sounds like would work well for me at the gym, but probably still not ideal for me on my outdoor running route or my commute.

Unfortunately of the Aftershokz retailers where I am, I don't remember seeing any demo units, and don't think any of them offer returns at all (return policies don't really exist here, outside of a few places like the Apple store). And don't know anyone in real life who has a pair I could try out. So they will probably just stay on my "to try" list for now until I can actually find a way to try them out - this might be a while...

(a) what Disney and/or running related items are you thankful for? (b) what running and/or Disney related things did you buy on Black Friday, small business Saturday, the Sunday with no tagline, or Cyber Monday?

ATTQOTD: a) I am most thankful for the people I've met and the actual race experiences more-so than any of the "stuff". But I will say the shoe ornaments my husband got me for two races are nice reminders during the holidays of my past successes.
b) The only disney thing I got last week was a 15 days of mickey socks advent calendar from Target. The only running thing I got was some clothes for my husband at 50% off. So I guess I'm slacking in the buying stuff for myself dept this season.

I'm thankful my husband supports me in my running even though it's not his thing. And he's agreed to do the Star Wars 10k as his first 10k :) So I've come up with a slow and gradual training plan for him and this morning was our first training run. His only request is that I stay with him during the race, which I'm more than happy to do.

I did see a lot of good sales on running clothes this past weekend and picked up a couple leggings for cold weather running.

Attqotd A: my saucony peregrine trail shoes. Out of my four pairs of trail shoes, they are my favorite. They all felt great in the stores, but most gradually revealed flaws. The Salomons are not great on pavement and I have a lot of mixed snow/cement currently; the Altras don’t work that great with my running dynamic and I tripped a lot on trails, and bled; the Hokas were crushed under the weight of my colossal bulk

F6A405C9-C04E-4909-AF06-B6236EC3A89C.jpeg

after 100 miles; and the peregrine‘S just do their thing. I should buy the GTX model for the deeper snow.

Attqotd: we bought a Minnie activity center/easel for our daughter over the weekend. That’s all.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!