The Running Thread - 2020

December 2020
  • Running: 73.9 mi
    • average pace: 12:36 min/mi
    • total time: 15.51 h
    • This is up a bit from last month, but I was still building up slowly after recovering from my marathon in early November.
  • Walking: 119.2 mi
    • The highest amount by far since I started tracking in September. This month once classes ended, I had more time to do a lot of walking in addition to running.
  • Tennis: 8 h
    • This is down from last month because it's finally gotten too cold to play much outside.

2020 Year-end Totals
  • Running: 1380.7 mi
    • This is a new record for me in the 4 years that I have been tracking. With the pandemic, I couldn't play as much tennis so I put that time into running.
  • Tennis: 125 h and 26 matches (plus non-match play)
    • This is way down from almost 200 h in 2019 and half the number of matches. The pandemic put a halt to tennis for quite awhile, especially league play.

7az60M3m.jpg

Hit my 3K goal despite 6 weeks injury time.

December:
Miles: 134.27
Avg Pace: 9:14

2020:
Miles: 1737.75 (only 15 miles less than 2019!)
Elevation gain: 67,240 ft
Avg Pace: 8:57

What a year. 2019 ended on a real running high followed by this year, which was... different. I had only planned on running one race which then turned virtual. I hope I'm able to run it eventually. Otherwise my goal was to just enjoy running. I've had a great time jogging with the kids or DH. I'm surprised I've only run 15 miles less than 2019 when I was training pretty heavily, but I chock it up to those 50-55 mpw that I was running for a few weeks. Also surprised that my average pace was the same as last year since I've been taking it really slow. In fact, last week I had my first tempo run in almost a year running after DS as he was riding his bike.

Anyways, wishing everyone a better 2021 full of hope, health, and happiness!

Curious to see what everyone is using for tracking.

Garmin Connect and Strava on my laptop. Watch syncs to iPhone syncs to Garmin Connect syncs to Strava. I use Garmin Conect for monthly/yearly totals/averages and Strava to see how I'm doing in our little local running club. I also track shoe miles on Garmin Connect.

December 2020 totals
Distance: 201.2km (125mi)
Average pace: 6m42s/km (10’50”/mi)

December was a juggling act: Besides end of year at work and some family events, I was trying to cover the following virtual challenges:
  • Continue to track our family running totals even if we passed our 2020km in 2020 mark,
  • Craze Glaze 5k,
  • Pumpkins Spice 10k for the last day of Fall Celebrations,
  • DopeyBadger training plan,
  • Woodsman Challenge (move ahead on a map, trying to complete this by June 2021),
  • JustMove Advent Calendar (surprise run everyday Dec 1-24),
  • Hanukkah 8x1k with DD,
  • CMTR Winter Scavenger Hunt (20 challenges in December and January) with the neighbour.

Some days were an easy fit: Running to make a food donation on a light training day or aligning the 5k Trials. Others were just too different so I had to do multiple outings to succeed. I had not planned to register to so many virtual events but others around needed encouragements and I love to participate in fun stuff.

So I now have a new set of PR (5k, 10k and half), all virtual. Speed training is progressing well. My yearly volume, both in terms of distance covered and number of runs is through the roof. I am grateful for so much, and slightly exhausted too.

Nutrition tasted:
Gu Vanilla: Subtle and pleasant. That was a surprise. And it was a good preparation for the Egg Nog Run later that day.
Gu Salted Caramel: It did not taste like homemade caramel. It should have been an easy one to manufacture since both caramel and gels are sugar! Disappointing.

So after my biggest month in terms of running (my first above 200km) I am ready to tackle 2021k in 2021 😂 and hopefully to show my improvement in a real race or two 🤞🏻
Stay healthy and enjoy the New Year!

December Totals
Distance: 51.47 mi
Time: 11:11:33
Avg Pace: 13:03 min/mi

2020 Totals
Running
Distance: 563.28 mi
Time: 126:48:53 hours (5 days, 6 hours, 48 minutes, 53 seconds)
Avg Pace: 13:30 min/mi

Walking:
Distance: 90.40 mi
Time: 29:46:46
Plus a few walks that I didn't track.

Other:
2 spin classes - both in-person (total time 1:31:28)
3 SaltDrop classes - 1 in-person, 2 Instagram (total time 2:52:48)
189 barre classes (total time 152:22:51)
  • 1 FlyBarre in-person
  • 1 Bar Method in Person
  • 187 barre3 mix of in-studio, live stream, online pre-recorded, outdoor
And a few other things sprinkled in here and there.

Overall not a bad fitness year. I learned that running doesn't have to "run" my life. I found a livestream fitness option that really works for me. I adjusted to running in a mask and learned to run in Central Park.
2020 as a whole was a dumpster fire, but ... at least I kept moving.

September Miles: 76.1
October Miles: 105.4
November Miles: 119.9
December Miles: 123.5

2020 Miles: 1,110.1
(2019 Miles: 1,215.8)

It has been a long time since I’ve posted one of these! September through December brought more of the same. Working from home and training for a Dopey Challenge that is not taking place.

I was so excited for my @DopeyBadger plan that I did not want it to go to waste! It kept me busy and I gave myself some leeway when I needed to skip a run or cut my miles short. While I struggled with my paces on speed days to start, I quickly got to the point where I could complete them as written. Success!

I have no in person races scheduled for 2021, just a virtual 15k in March to maintain my Hot Chocolate legacy status. Hopefully racecations can return by the fall!

Happy 2021 everyone!

After reading all the latest posts on this thread, you've all inspired me to make sure I keep a run diary for 2021 - kms, pace, number of runs etc. However, my new year running campaign hasn't got off to a good start as there's snow and ice on the pavements and roads so my new year's resolution will have to start a day or two late.

My goal is to run 25kms or more each week, at a pace of NOT less that 10kms an hour.

Edited to include not! I want to run faster not slower :)

Last edited:
Late 2020 totals:
September 86.4 miles
October 90 miles
November 79.3 miles
December 72.7 miles (lowest month of 2020)

2020 total:
1129.9 miles A new PR for me. Even more than 2019, when I was logging more miles in the final months of the year than I ever thought I could.

November and December were hampered by more rest days than planned. I lost an entire week in December due to a large snowstorm. If I'd made those planned runs, both months would've been around 90 miles, I think.
I did have a really pleasant Christmas Eve run in the pouring rain with my running buddy. We were drenched within minutes. My shoes took almost a week to dry. At the end of that run and yesterday's late afternoon run, we were the only 2 cars left in the lot. Back to how it was during MW training last year.
Things are busier at work than they were in March-May, which has led to a few days where I just wanted to go home.

My primary trackers are Garmin Connect and when I got over the retirement of the desktop version of SportTracks I signed up for the online version. I am actually quite happy with it. I wanted something not tied to Garmin that I also track equipment and keep notes in so I went with SportTracks.

I do sync Garmin with a bunch of other stuff but only the free versions. Training Peaks, Strava, SmashRun, and the online Elevate Chrome plug in all get my data but I don't keep any notes or make corrections in there. They just get what Garmin sends.

I was thinking I need to try the online version - I have enjoyed being able to go back in time to see what I did on the day after a race last year or year before. Like - hey stupid- don't feel bad for taking a day off...

December Training Summary

Total Miles: 160.41
Total Time: 24:36:23
Average Pace: 9:12/mi
Average HR: 127/min

Ended up 2020 with 2450 miles which is a PB. I had a shot at 2500, but had a bit of a hamstring strain that made me take a full week off and also lower miles the remainder of December. It seems to have resurfaced a bit. I actually forgot about it the last week of December and then I actually felt it again Thur/Friday. So 2021 isn't starting off that great running-wise, so I guess I need some time off to properly heal.

December: 44 miles
2020 total miles: 418.6

I ended the year on a good note. The never ending lockdown in California proved depressing when gyms temporarily reopened before being shut down again. I don't remember much about goals for the year, although I know that finishing Dopey was one of them. Which in spite of the heat and humidity, I absolutely did. So that's good. Finishing Star Wars didn't happen since that race weekend got canceled. Running through the summer was a mixed bag including consecutive weeks where the heat and/or air quality because of wildfires was so awful that you should not be walking in the stuff, let alone running.

While Dopey was the real running highlight of 2020, I would be remiss if I did not mention a positive virtual race experience for me. In September, I ran the San Francisco Giant Race Lou Seal Challenge virtually, which consists of a 10K and 5K back to back on the same day. More than anything, doing that gave my runs a purpose on that day and gave me some needed motivation. It helped contribute to signing up for the virtual marathon and virtual Princess weekends, which is doing wonders for my motivation right now. So count me as someone who almost needs virtual races. Maybe someday I'll reach a point where I do not need them, but for now they give me something to work towards.

December

73.18 miles
14:09:16 time
11:36 pace

A little under average mileage per month, but spent 9 days at Ft. Wilderness where I cut 5 runs from 6 mi/run to 4-4 1/2 (had group 4 for RotR one morning and really had to hustle!) and skipped all Christmas week runs, more because my feet and legs were hurting than because of Christmas. Still...

2020 Totals

1202.52 miles
9.8 Days
11:44 pace

After skipping some runs, I HAD to make it to 1200 for the year! Nowhere near the 1401 in 2016, but I’m feeling older and slower since I got on Medicare! :snail:

December:
Running - 303.93 mi
Cycling - 0

2020:
Running - 2621.93 mi
Cycling - 708.7 mi

Enjoying CRAW and getting ready for my first in-person race since Princess weekend last February. Currently stuck in a routine of work-run-eat-sleep that seems eternal. Very grateful that we survived this year with no issues relative to the very sad year a lot of people experienced.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter