The Running Thread - 2020

Question: What do you do for ID and emergency contact information when running outside?

Reason for asking: Since all my training for 2020 will be outside, and mostly by myself, this is something I need to finally figure out. Especially as I was almost hit by a car yesterday when the driver decided to abort the right turn he was making and turn left as I was half way across the street. I really do not want to take my Drivers License for fear of loosing it, but will if I absolutely must.

Long time no post for me. I'm strongly considering running Star Wars next year (if I can get in) so I've wandered back onto this board for the first time in a long while!

I have a RoadID on my Apple Watch. I run with a Garmin watch but I wear both for my runs. You can put 2-3 contact numbers on your RoadID so if you become incapacitated, people will know who to contact. Pretty cool. You can get a RoadID that fits on a Garmin, but I like the look of the custom RoadID they make for Apple watches...

In other news, I ran 24 miles in May. It was an up and down month for me. I had a minor surgery mid-month so my runs were limited. I'm finally feeling (mostly) better from that and plan to slowly ramp up my mileage over the summer.

ATTQOTD: I don’t run without my RoadID. I started with one of their silicone bracelets and now have one that slips onto my Garmin band. I prefer the type that stay on the band because that makes it impossible to forget. There were plenty of times where I’d get partway through my run before realizing I’d forgotten to put the bracelet on. Not a problem any more!

My larger regret for May was not documenting what I observed while running. There were amazing flowers.

My mother lives in northwest PA while I am in the DC area, so spring comes much earlier for me. All through March and April, I would take photos of the different flowers blooming on my runs and walks and text them to her for a pick-me-up. And it made me pay attention to them more, too.

Question: What do you do for ID and emergency contact information when running outside?

ATTQOTD: I have the Road ID thingy that you velcro to your shoelaces. I only use one pair of running shoes at a time, so it's not an issue having to transfer it to different shoes. It has my name, address, and phone number for two people - in my case, my husband and my mother. I also carry my phone, which has my emergency contact info in it.

Can anyone comment on the sizing of the Brooks Ghost 12 to the Adrenaline GTS 20?

I currently have the Ghost 12 in 8.5 wide. I am thinking that I may need more support to combat overpronation, so I was looking at the Adrenalines. However, I'm not sure I want to be going into a store any time soon to try them on.

Perhaps I will order from Zappos to use the free returns, but I thought I'd ask first.

Road ID that attaches to your shoe. I have medical information on mine too. Same as @avondale, I only have one pair of shoes in play at a time, so it's not a problem about transfering. I prefer the ankle band as it's more secure, but also easy to forget. I do worry about the weight of the Road ID making me run lopsided. :)

I also carry my phone which has ICE contacts.

Thank you. This question reminded me that I need to order a new Road ID, as mine has some outdated information. Maybe I'll order 2: shoe attachment AND the ankle band to balance the weight.

Reason for asking: Since all my training for 2020 will be outside, and mostly by myself, this is something I need to finally figure out. Especially as I was almost hit by a car yesterday when the driver decided to abort the right turn he was making and turn left as I was half way across the street. I really do not want to take my Drivers License for fear of loosing it, but will if I absolutely must.

I have a RoadID but I haven't worn it in a while and it probably needs updated. My wife is listed as my girlfriend on it but the numbers are the same. I really should look into getting it out. If I get hit by a care I would be John Doe for a while.

The watch style one for Garmin isn’t something I want to worry about having slide off when not wearing it, or changing the profile of the band (narrow wrists)

add me to the list of RoadID users, I also have the band addition to the Garmin, and very small wrists, so I can sort of address your concern above. It’s elastic is super tight so doesn’t fall off the Garmin when you aren’t using it, but you can also work really hard and get it over the clasp side of the band and then you really don’t have to worry. As for changing the profile of the band I was worried that it would be too big and I wouldn’t be able to properly clasp the band anymore (which is why I put it on the “wrong side” originally) and I haven’t had any issues.

You have to do whatever works best for you, so get the shoe one if that’s what you want, but just wanted to let you know that you probably don’t need to be concerned about the watch attachment. But I’m also just a random person on the internet:confused3

That's a great idea, it's been a very unusual past few months and I'm trying to do a better job of documenting my experiences. Either writing it down or taking pictures or otherwise.
This is a lovely idea. The oddest and most striking thing I saw was a shattered pink ceramic teapot, reminiscent of the one in the center of the Mad Tea Party (no mouse!) on the sidewalk the Monday after mother's day. I wondered if someone had intended it for their mom and dropped it. The pieces got smaller as I assume people stepped on it, kicked it aside, or rolled a bike tire over it. It was finally gone this morning and I was a little sad.

I always run with my phone which has ICE contacts. Until March 13, half of my runs I carried my work badge on a semi-private road track. I tried to take state ID on daily runs, but washed it a few too many times so stopped. I considered Road ID, but they do not make one that fits my watch and I am not sure about the shoe thing as I do rotate them. DH screens calls so as discussed when I went in for an emergency c-section, someone better use my phone to call, making RoadID slightly less useful.

@rteetz posted a screen shot from a runDisney page earlier today on the runDisney Events and Registration FAQ ( https://www.disboards.com/threads/rundisney-events-and-registration-faq.3538323/post-61937864 ) thread saying that we will "soon" be able to submit times via our wearable device. I wonder if the time will still have to be from a official sanctioned race, or if any individual run will count. It would be great flexibility, but a huge opportunity for "mischief".
Someone also posted this on one of the runDisney Facebook pages. I am not sure where you are seeing anything about POT on what @rteetz posted and I personally do not think it has anything to do with POT. If I had to guess, I think it just a way to track your runs - training and/or actual races like Strava. There is some speculation on Facebook that it could be used for virtual races for if (when) Wine and Dine goes virtual.

Someone also posted this on one of the runDisney Facebook pages. I am not sure where you are seeing anything about POT on what @rteetz posted and I personally do not think it has anything to do with POT. If I had to guess, I think it just a way to track your runs - training and/or actual races like Strava. There is some speculation on Facebook that it could be used for virtual races for if (when) Wine and Dine goes virtual.
Lots of speculation regarding this. POT possibilities were one of the things floated on social media.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!