Podcasts I listen to while running:

The Soundtrack Show
WDW Radio
WDW Today
Mousetalgia
Coffee with Kenobi
The Arkham Sessions

I have to give Garmin a little love.

I got a Garmin Venu for Christmas, by request. I really like it. Last Monday, I was changing the band on it, and I accidentally dropped it. It fell 4 feet to land perfectly face-down on my hardwood floor. It had no visible damage, but the HR LED no longer worked and the accelerometer no longer worked.

I tried rebooting, resetting, etc., with no luck. I contacted Garmin, told them I had dropped it, and asked how much it would cost to have it fixed. They had me run through some software stuff to see if it could be resuscitated, but that didn't work. They decided to give me a new one! I only paid to mail the broken one back, and I got the new one today! I was not expecting that, given that I had clearly broken it not in normal use.

@camaker i am loving the movies of Sydney and Bella playing in the snow. They are so adorable.

Thanks! We didn’t get much snow, but it was enough to see how they’d react to it. Sydney was much more engaged than Bella, though. The backflip wipeout was hilarious and I’m glad I was able to get it on video!

I must see these videos! Where are they? On Insta?

They are, indeed, on Insta. You can follow them at:
thesydney_and_bellabulldogshow

Here are a couple of teasers. As you can see, Bella likes to sit on things. Especially her sister.

54B8F2BD-706A-4801-8A9D-63B4DB6915BE.jpeg

F86503EA-53C3-4E9A-B11F-62417C8B22D7.jpeg

43A199EF-1EC1-4A7E-AB75-3175B47F6BEA.jpeg

I got a Garmin Venu for Christmas, by request. I really like it. Last Monday, I was changing the band on it, and I accidentally dropped it. It fell 4 feet to land perfectly face-down on my hardwood floor. It had no visible damage, but the HR LED no longer worked and the accelerometer no longer worked.

I tried rebooting, resetting, etc., with no luck. I contacted Garmin, told them I had dropped it, and asked how much it would cost to have it fixed. They had me run through some software stuff to see if it could be resuscitated, but that didn't work. They decided to give me a new one! I only paid to mail the broken one back, and I got the new one today! I was not expecting that, given that I had clearly broken it not in normal use.

Garmin has such great customer service that I don't think I will ever wear a different watch. They replaced my old one once when it wouldn't work, and they just replaced my 235 last year when the battery kept draining super fast. No charge! I had the watch for 4.5 years at that point! Great customer service!

Garmin has such great customer service that I don't think I will ever wear a different watch. They replaced my old one once when it wouldn't work, and they just replaced my 235 last year when the battery kept draining super fast. No charge! I had the watch for 4.5 years at that point! Great customer service!
So not quite as good as getting a watch replaced, but I ran the Garmin Marathon last year. After the race, I asked someone at their watch booth if they happened to have an extra band keeper, because mine was torn and about to come off completely. I have had friends who have emailed and had that replaced, so I thought it was worth asking about. The guy goes inside their building and after a while comes out and gives me a whole new band! I was sooo surprised and very appreciative.

Today was one of those fleetingly rare gorgeous winter days. Sunny, 30's at the start. A nice day for a mixed easy/uptempo run.

Bought myself some new shoes the other day. Going to give the Brooks Ghost 12 a try. No particular issues with my trusty Nike Pegs, rather would like to support a company that sponsors the local elite team (Hanson-Brooks), and the store itself.

Today was one of those fleetingly rare gorgeous winter days. Sunny, 30's at the start. A nice day for a mixed easy/uptempo run.

Bought myself some new shoes the other day. Going to give the Brooks Ghost 12 a try. No particular issues with my trusty Nike Pegs, rather would like to support a company that sponsors the local elite team (Hanson-Brooks), and the store itself.
We too had a rare nice sunny winter day!
I love my Brooks as well!

(Happy to start a separate thread on this if it makes sense to.) Any Peloton riders here? @MoanasPapa and I just ordered one in the name of doing better with cross training. Curious how other runners incorporate rides and runs. Bonus points if you’ve worked rides in while on a running training plan. I’m excited about it but I’m also slightly worried about avoiding fatigue/not overdoing it.

Now that I think about it, I know a number of you are Zwift-ers/ride for Tri training. Would welcome your thoughts as well - didn’t mean to make this specific to Peloton only!

(Happy to start a separate thread on this if it makes sense to.) Any Peloton riders here? @MoanasPapa and I just ordered one in the name of doing better with cross training. Curious how other runners incorporate rides and runs. Bonus points if you’ve worked rides in while on a running training plan. I’m excited about it but I’m also slightly worried about avoiding fatigue/not overdoing it.

Now that I think about it, I know a number of you are Zwift-ers/ride for Tri training. Would welcome your thoughts as well - didn’t mean to make this specific to Peloton only!
YES... Both my husband and I are both big Peloton riders. Infact we love it so much that we have 2 bikes so we can ride together. Great for cross Training.

My DH is a fairly serious cyclist (3-5k miles/year, 6-7 bikes of various types, basically our basement is his bike workshop!) He would give an enthusiastic thumbs up to Zwift. He can always find rides or races that fit his schedule and his ride preference for that day. It keeps him sane during parts of winter that he can't ride outdoors. He did not need to go crazy with equipment for it--he has a basic Kinetic trainer and was content to add an In Ride power sensor to get basic data.

He has tried Peloton, but he is not "spin" type of person.

Jumping in with a QOTD: what running condition do others find terrible that you are fine with?

Answer: I was curious about this as I went out to run at lunch on Monday and my coworker was very articulate about how my choice did not make any sense. It was dry, slightly overcast, and 34 °F. I explained I thought it was fantastic as long as it wasn't icy, but he was not buying it. Today, I am debating with myself if I would rather run now when wet, sloppy snow is falling (I run on well salted asphalt, so no ice just puddles) or tomorrow when it will be single digits, but no puddles and generally my track will be ice free. I am still happier in 7 °F than 87 °F!

Late to the party as I was fortunate enough to be at Disney World over the past week for vacation and the fairy tale challenge.
I am opposite most in that I am fine with extreme heat. Odd since I’m in New England but I work outside in winter and summer and have grown to hate the cold. I have no problem running on an afternoon in August. Even though I had to slow down for the full, I enjoyed the weather at this years marathon weekend.

Now however if I could choose the weather for running it would probably be about 50 with less than 50% humidity which leads me to this past weekends princess races. Please don’t yell at me @DopeyBadger as this was supposed to be a slow post dopey weekend in preparation for Star Wars, but it was 45 at the start of the 10k and 52 at the half. Not so good for standing around but it felt great to run and I’m self competitive so I had to push it and got a 10K PR! Should’ve held back for the half but felt the need to test a couple things out so I started with the pacers running 4:00 and walking :30. Found out that the running segment is too fast for that long, slowed a bit to recover and tried out continuous running at 8:20 pace. Not quite ready for that over a half yet so went to 3 minute intervals and came in just over 1:52. Not a PR but much better than expected. Overall I thought it was a great time, just hope I didn’t push it too hard as I’m planning on pushing harder in April.

On the not related to running side of things, the highlight of the trip aside from spending the week in Disney with my wife and daughter was we made it on Rise of the Resistance! I don’t even know how to describe it to people, just wow!

I did 5400 miles (341 hours) on an indoor cycling trainer last year (Kickr Core + TrainerRoad). I combined that with 1120 miles of running (155 hours). Some things I learned in my first year:

-Equal duration of equal effort between cycle and run does not require equal rest. You can manage to stack multiple hard workouts in a week with cycling unlike in running.
-In my experience, the equivalent workout at the same effort level for cycling takes about 1.5-2x the duration as the run. So a 90 min LT cycle is roughly equivalent to a 60 min LT run.
-On similar effort activities, my HR tended to be about 10 bpm less cycling than running. So a LT paced run would be 157 bpm and a LT paced bike would be 147 bpm.
-I highly suggest doing a Functional Threshold Power (FTP) test to help determine your "power zones". Like pacing in running, this will help setup appropriate wattages to aim for for different types of workouts. Classically there is a 20 min sustained power FTP test or TrainerRoad uses a 1 min ever increasing power test until failure (although being on Peloton prevents you from being able to use TrainerRoad or Zwift last I read).

I was doing something like this before in 2019:

Screen Shot 2020-02-04 at 10.46.57 AM.png

I was able to run less than I had in the past and still have running gains. I set a HM PR of 1:28:40 in Nov 2019 (besting a 1:30:35 from Jan 2018) and felt absolutely phenomenal during the race. Although, it required 11-16 hours of training per week (5-9 hrs cycling, 4-5 hrs running, and 2-2.5 hrs strength work) to equal performances of 7-9 hours of just run training from prior to Jan 2018. The training increased after the Nov 2019 HM up to 15-20 hrs training per week. In the end, I believe it was too much for me to handle and was at least partially to blame for my 2020 Disney Marathon performance.

Now, I have been trying this for the last few weeks instead.

Screen Shot 2020-02-04 at 10.47.04 AM.png

I dropped the brick workouts. I made Wednesday runs always easy. I made Thursday morning bike rides always easy. I've reduced the Saturday biking down from 6 hrs to 2 hrs max and slightly increased the evening run duration. I'm trying to stay in the 10-13 hrs a week range now.

So let's say you were running 4 days per week (Tues, Wed, Fri and Sat) with your harder efforts on Wed and Sat. Then you could consider adding in a hard bike on Mondays (a current off day). Consider what type of training the current hard run days do, and figure out a type of cycling workout that would supplement it. But as a fall back, sweet spot training (or something that is 85-90% FTP) is always a beneficial cycling place to be. If you wanted to add in an easy cycling ride, then I'd consider Tues or Fri in addition to the easy run days. Additionally, you could add in an easy ride prior to the Wed hard workout. Since Saturday is the long run effort, then I'd probably avoid adding in additional cycling. If you dropped one of your easy run days (going from 4 day per week down to 3 day per week), then I'd keep in mind that an equal effort cycling might need to be about 1.5-2x as long duration wise as the replaced run to receive similar (but not the same) stimulus.

I'm far from an expert on this though as I've only been doing this for 1.5 years and am definitely still learning a lot.

I ride indoors and out as part of my tri training and for prep for the 100-mile rides I do each year. The key is to make it part of your training plan and not just something you throw in when you feel like it. A recovery spin can be great for your legs the day after a long run, and a tough ride on the bike can be a good replacement for one of your weekday runs.

I take PWR Cycle classes at the gym. It's a metric based class and the instructor focuses on different profiles / drills every week. When I was looking at training plans for the Chicago Marathon last year, I knew I didn't want to give up cycling. I ended up using Higdon's Marathon 3 plan that calls for 3 days of running.

My plan was something like this:
Run on Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday.
Cycle on Wednesday (60 minutes) and Saturday (90 minutes, with the last Saturday of the month a 3 hour class).
Strength train 4 - 5 times a week.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter