The Running Thread - 2020

Well, today was supposed to be the Love Run in Philly, but that’s been postponed until 10/10/20. Nevertheless, I went ahead and ran a solo half today. When I got up this morning I really wasn’t feeling up to it and keep putting it off. Finally around 11:30 I decided I need to get it done, even if it ended up being a PW. It ended up being my second fastest Half time. Once I actually got running I felt great. Since I hadn’t been feeling it I hadn’t mapped out a route and ended up running a lot of new neighborhoods off of a whim.

i did this a few years ago when the Dallas Marathon was cancelled due to an ice storm (I was signed up for the half).

And there is no reason we can't all do this to "run" the cancelled Disney races. Get up at 3 a.m., drive around for awhile, hang out in a parking lot for an hour, then go do the run. Extra points for sticking to costume and having a shelter-in-place buddy be a character stop.

How’s everyone doing today??

I’m still hanging in a pretty solid yellow zone. Not fantastic but not terrible either!!

I’m trying to find better, social distance approved running trails in Orlando. Not a big fan of running around the neighborhood that I am currently in. Nothing wrong with it per se but I prefer to run on roads or pavement or trails before I run on sidewalks. I used to always run the trails at the Disney resorts in so sad I can’t do that right now. So I think a lot of us are having to modify our normal running experience!!

As for life, I’m trying to stay optimistic and hope this either levels out or burns out like some experts are hoping for. I’m wishing for the best case scenario!

I don’t know how long it will take for life to feel like it’s normal again or what that will even look like, but I for one have learned a lot during this experience and have decided to make a lot of changes!

Has this pandemic inspired you to make changes in your life?

I am relieved that they cancelled today the Tamarack Ottawa Race Weekend that was scheduled May 23-24th. They are turning it into a virtual race so they won’t be stuck with thousands of shirts and medals. And will provide a 50% code for those who register next year. I was really starting to question the running volume in my training plan: I did not want to go near exhausting length in the rain for example because that compromises the immune system and also, no water stations or bathrooms are opened so it was neighbouring smaller loops only.

https://www.runottawa.ca/news-item/2020-tamarack-ottawa-race-weekend-cancelled
Is there a way to provided a link to NRC results? For Virtual bragging rights, I guess.

How’s everyone doing today??

I’m still hanging in a pretty solid yellow zone. Not fantastic but not terrible either!!

I’m trying to find better, social distance approved running trails in Orlando. Not a big fan of running around the neighborhood that I am currently in. Nothing wrong with it per se but I prefer to run on roads or pavement or trails before I run on sidewalks. I used to always run the trails at the Disney resorts in so sad I can’t do that right now. So I think a lot of us are having to modify our normal running experience!!

As for life, I’m trying to stay optimistic and hope this either levels out or burns out like some experts are hoping for. I’m wishing for the best case scenario!

I don’t know how long it will take for life to feel like it’s normal again or what that will even look like, but I for one have learned a lot during this experience and have decided to make a lot of changes!

Has this pandemic inspired you to make changes in your life?
I’m one of the few people that doesn’t seem to be overly impacted by the situation. I work from home so didn’t need to make adjustments having the kids home. Well, I have to help the kids and stuff with school but work has been slow so it isn’t impacting me.

I bought a bike this past weekend. (It was curbside pick up, no judgements please 😁) the bike is meant for cross training but I am hoping to do a 1/2 Ironman next summer so I’m going to start building that base. I still need to get more consistent with my strength training but I’m getting there. I have also dialed in my diet, trying to lose the final 20-30 lbs I have wanted to lose for a few years.

I’m naturally an introvert so being in the house with just my family and being able to text my friends and chip in on this thread is perfectly fine with me.

I’m one of the few people that doesn’t seem to be overly impacted by the situation. I work from home so didn’t need to make adjustments having the kids home. Well, I have to help the kids and stuff with school but work has been slow so it isn’t impacting me.

I bought a bike this past weekend. (It was curbside pick up, no judgements please 😁) the bike is meant for cross training but I am hoping to do a 1/2 Ironman next summer so I’m going to start building that base. I still need to get more consistent with my strength training but I’m getting there. I have also dialed in my diet, trying to lose the final 20-30 lbs I have wanted to lose for a few years.

I’m naturally an introvert so being in the house with just my family and being able to text my friends and chip in on this thread is perfectly fine with me.

If you haven’t already, get a professional bike fit as you get into your 70.3 training. Being properly set up on your bike will make it much more comfortable for you and also get you positioned to save your muscles for the run.

If you haven’t already, get a professional bike fit as you get into your 70.3 training. Being properly set up on your bike will make it much more comfortable for you and also get you positioned to save your muscles for the run.
Thanks John. I had the owner of the bike shop fit me outside when I picked up the bike. He watched me ride it up and down the street before I paid him. He did the best he could from a distance and spent much more time with me than expected given the situation. He gave me a lesson on clipping into the pedals too. I have heard some of you guys talking about falling while clipping in and I’m determined to not have it happen to me. 🤣

Thanks John. I had the owner of the bike shop fit me outside when I picked up the bike. He watched me ride it up and down the street before I paid him. He did the best he could from a distance and spent much more time with me than expected given the situation. He gave me a lesson on clipping into the pedals too. I have heard some of you guys talking about falling while clipping in and I’m determined to not have it happen to me. 🤣

It’s not falling while clipping in that you really have to worry about. Falling while clipping out is the issue. I’ve had several instances where my greenway crosses a road and as I slow down to stop and check traffic I can’t manage to unclip. It usually results in a slow motion cartoony “timber!” situation as I topple over. It’s more embarrassing than painful, but I always manage to do it with other cyclists watching.

It’s not falling while clipping in that you really have to worry about. Falling while clipping out is the issue. I’ve had several instances where my greenway crosses a road and as I slow down to stop and check traffic I can’t manage to unclip. It usually results in a slow motion cartoony “timber!” situation as I topple over. It’s more embarrassing than painful, but I always manage to do it with other cyclists watching.
I’m sure I will fall over at some point. I have just told myself I won’t allow it to happen. It’s just going to make it that much more embarrassing when it does. Thankfully the area I ride doesn’t have many places I need to stop and there is nobody else around.

I’m sure I will fall over at some point. I have just told myself I won’t allow it to happen. It’s just going to make it that much more embarrassing when it does. Thankfully the area I ride doesn’t have many places I need to stop and there is nobody else around.

Yes, you will it’s a rite of passage for all cyclists. It happened to me when either I couldn’t clip out fast enough like @camaker describes above, or I manage to unclip, put one foot down, and then lean the wrong way. Embarrassing for sure, but everyone’s done it.

I second this. Spend a lot of time in a parking lot practicing and also adjusting the tension on your pedals if they are adjustable. When I first installed my look style pedals I went with too much float and it was very difficult to clip out. Going with a cleat that had less float and playing with the tension adjustment took a bit of time but made a huge difference.

My wife broke her arm when she wasn't able to unclip from her pedals so definitely practice. A fall while stopped is more likely to break a bone than a fall while riding though you are less likely to have road rash.

Yes, you will it’s a rite of passage for all cyclists. It happened to me when either I couldn’t clip out fast enough like @camaker describes above, or I manage to unclip, put one foot down, and then lean the wrong way. Embarrassing for sure, but everyone’s done it.

Yeah, this is the most embarrassing, and yes, I have done this as well (more than once!)

March Totals:

Total Miles - 121.59 mi
Total Time - 17:24:13
Average Pace - 8.35/mi
Avg HR - 143

What a month, eh? Since all the upcoming races I was looking at or had signed up for went virtual, motivation dropped like a rock. Still trying to get 4 days a week in running, but everything is at a more relaxed pace. Does not help that this was the warmest March in Houston since like 1908 (ugh). On the plus side, we are doing more bike riding and walking. I do see so many more people out and about in the evening time, where I think there might be some more fit folks at the end of all this.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter