The Running Thread - 2020

Well add me to the list of those who have “tripped and ate pavement” club. Was doing my sons run club workout with him and just hit the pavement hard. Busted up my ankle pretty bad and have some awesome road rash on my knee and forearm. I was able to hobble my way back home and I’m icing it now. The adrenaline of making it home has worn off but thankful I could make it home because I didn’t bring my phone with me.

Hope everyone who is running today manages better than I did!

Well add me to the list of those who have “tripped and ate pavement” club. Was doing my sons run club workout with him and just hit the pavement hard. Busted up my ankle pretty bad and have some awesome road rash on my knee and forearm. I was able to hobble my way back home and I’m icing it now. The adrenaline of making it home has worn off but thankful I could make it home because I didn’t bring my phone with me.

Sorry to hear you fell. It’s part of the risks that go with the non-couch potato lifestyle. I haven’t fallen while running yet but did take a dive on my bike a couple of years ago. My front wheel hit sand while I was braking at the bottom of a hill and down I went. Right in front of all the traffic I was trying to avoid. I didn’t get hurt so thankfully it didn’t impact my workout.

I hope you’re back and running quickly.

I was lucky enough to find a Jeff Galloway seminar in January, 20 minutes away from where I live. It was a smallish group so there were lots of specific to individual questions. There has been a change in the walk break length to no more than 30 seconds that I wasn’t aware of. There are also new run/walk ratios for specific paces he gave us and I think are also listed on his website.

I also found out I was running long runs too fast, apparently a common problem. :rolleyes1 Since you can’t run a long run too slow, he recommended adjusting my walk/run ratios to slow down. I made his suggested changes with my new marathon training.

Today began week 3 and I’m actually starting to enjoy it. Since my maintenance runs are so short (warm up, 30 minute run, cool down), I’ve started treating the second mile as a “Magic Mile” and really pushing for speed. I’ve dropped a minute off my 1 mile pace so far! My heart rate is 90% in the “build fitness” instead of the “intense workout” zone.

I take my fastest 1 mile time for the week and run it through the “Magic Mile” calculations to get my long run pace. I’ll match that pace to Jeff’s new recommendations for run/walk times and I have my long run interval times. I normally use 30/30 seconds but for the long run I dropped to 10 sec run/ 30 sec walk. So far I’ve finished each run feeling great. I just hope when those long run miles increase I still fee the same!

Sorry for being long winded and hope everyone is healthy and getting some socially distant outside time!

ATTQOTD: Toasted tomato sandwiches. Tomato slices inside 2 pieces of toasted and buttered white bread. I think mayo or miracle whip is allowed too.
My Dad made them all the time, and I loved them as a kid. I still enjoy them now, but my husband is allergic to tomatoes, so I rarely buy them fresh anymore.

Kielbasa. It was a staple growing up but apparently in a lot of places all sausage is just sausage. It was always beef and always smoked and we generally bought it from a local Polish deli, not a supermarket.
Oh I still eat a ton of kielbasa but it is harder to come by! We have to stock up when we see it in the market. I grew up in a very Polish area and there was a store that basically just made kielbasa.

White rice with milk, butter and sugar - heated, and eaten like soup
Since we are talking about comfort non traditional food, this reminded of one of my grandma recipe. She used to do a rice pudding that was eggy and more solid than liquid. She passed away over 30 years ago but I have never found a recipe for that type of pudding. Suggestions anyone?

Kielbasa. It was a staple growing up but apparently in a lot of places all sausage is just sausage. It was always beef and always smoked and we generally bought it from a local Polish deli, not a supermarket.

I've actually been making my own recently. It is a LOT different than what you get at the store.

Since we are talking about comfort non traditional food, this reminded of one of my grandma recipe. She used to do a rice pudding that was eggy and more solid than liquid. She passed away over 30 years ago but I have never found a recipe for that type of pudding. Suggestions anyone?
Look up a few recipes for Swedish rice pudding. It is baked and more solid than liquid. Eat it warm for dinner (with lingonberries) and then eat the leftovers cold the next day.

QOTD: What's one thing that you eat now/ate as a kid that you figured everyone ate?.....until you realized that they didn't.

ATTQOTD: Growing up my grandma would make tortillas in the morning and then put a little butter and sprinkle a little sugar on it and roll it up and put it in a baggie for me to take to school. Delicious! But I heard a lot of “what is that”/“why are you eating a tortilla”. They were best when you ate them hot off the pan!

I remind myself to be extra cautious when running right now. A trip to the hospital could be very dangerous.

Stream of consciousness while out for a run today....

"Not sure I like the coconut smell of this hand lotion....remember when Sheldon on Big Bang Theory didn't like it when Penny changed her shampoo to coconut.....(musings over various BBT episodes)....and Sheldon and Amy went to NY for their honeymoon.....where does the word "honeymoon" come from......how did my kids ever make it up this hill during XC races.....why did I think hill runs was a good idea today.....20 mph wind during this run is no fun.....I want to change my answer on that QOTD awhile back---maybe warm would be better than windy.....I'm really looking forward to my 2nd cup of coffee....now what can I make with the discarded sourdough starter today....."

And so forth.

Stream of consciousness while out for a run today....
Mine was this: what am I going to eat when I get home....20 mph wind during this run is no fun....what am I going to eat when I get home....I'm really looking forward to my 6th cup of coffee....what am I going to eat when I get home....my face mask gives me 'jowls'....what am I going to eat when I get home....wow, construction workers work really hard....what am I going to eat when I get home....my hands are really dry from so much washing and sanitizer....what am I going to eat when I get home....I'm never going to make it back home....what am I going to eat when I get home....dang, I'm back home already?

And the answer was leftover lasagna.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter