The Sheraton Vistana Resort Thread (key links on p.1)

We will be staying at the Sheraton Vistana resort in a week. I have requested the north end of the Courts in the 2 story townhouse.

A few questions that came up as we are packing.

Does the resort provide pool towels? I know they had a card system that was discontinued awhile back.
How comfortable are the sofa beds?
A bit late now, but for the record, and for others, yes, pool towels are provided and are liberally available. And no, the towel card system is no longer in effect. It was an ill fated idea, and did not last long.

Can't answer on the sofa beds as we always book enough real beds. Report back and let others know!

In about 2 1/2 weeks, we'll be checking in for our first visit to SVR. I booked through SkyAuction, and I received a unit assignment at that time (Cascades section). However, after reading this thread, it sounds like I may be assigned to a different unit (which is fine). I went to make a Diamond Lane request, but I could not find any place on the form to indicate any requests (other than crib, highchair, and rollaway bed). Am I missing something, or has the form changed?

Being our first time, I'm really not too concerned about getting a specific section of the resort. But first floor or a building with an elevator would be preferred.

I checked the public form that I have linked on page one of this thread, and that version no longer has a free text area. I would suggest that you complete the form and submit. When the resort responds to your request (confirmation), try to correspond with that person with any additional requests. Several people have reported getting a call from the resort after submitting, so be sure to include your phone number information as well - getting a call back from them is a great personal touch.

When I link through from the owners reservation section, I get a different form with a free text area where I can type in requests. I can't post a link to this as it has my member id in the URL. So it appears the form is now context sensitive. Note that Vistana Resort was one of the few Vistana properties that allowed this kind of request, so it may just be standardization across the portfolio.

And as @FrankieDplus3 mentions, you can always call the resort directly if electronic communication does not appear to be getting results.

I checked the public form that I have linked on page one of this thread, and that version no longer has a free text area. I would suggest that you complete the form and submit. When the resort responds to your request (confirmation), try to correspond with that person with any additional requests. Several people have reported getting a call from the resort after submitting, so be sure to include your phone number information as well - getting a call back from them is a great personal touch.

When I link through from the owners reservation section, I get a different form with a free text area where I can type in requests. I can't post a link to this as it has my member id in the URL. So it appears the form is now context sensitive. Note that Vistana Resort was one of the few Vistana properties that allowed this kind of request, so it may just be standardization across the portfolio.

And as @FrankieDplus3 mentions, you can always call the resort directly if electronic communication does not appear to be getting results.

Thanks for the advice. I submitted the form last week. I also called today to confirm, because I didn't receive a response after submitting the form. Looking forward to my first stay at SVR.

A bit late now, but for the record, and for others, yes, pool towels are provided and are liberally available. And no, the towel card system is no longer in effect. It was an ill fated idea, and did not last long.

Can't answer on the sofa beds as we always book enough real beds. Report back and let others know!

Just got back yesterday morning from our stay at Vistana.

The pool towel are available in sheds with your room key card.

The sofa bed (at least in the Courts 2 story) in the loft was thin compared to a standard bed and noisy, but not lumpy or uncomfortable. We had a small problem with the mattress cover and had to ask for a replacement and then had to call back because we were missing sheets for the sofa bed.

Not sure if anyone posted this or not, but there was a bulletin board at the pool that listed upcoming renos for the resort. The Courts will be getting new soft items, ie linens, curtains sofa beds and other furniture. I know other sections were schedule for a refresh as well, but I don't remember those. One section was getting some exterior work done, the Casades, I think.

We stayed 2 weeks and cancelled the cleaning service while we were there.

Loved the location and amenities, bit we didn't get to explore the whole resort.

Hi!

This is my first time posting on DisBoards! We are a family of 3 and are thinking of booking a 2 bedroom unit through British Airways (flight and resort included) - we're from the UK - for next August. The 8 year old is so excited!

I have a few questions:

1) Does the Wifi work around the pool? Being from the UK we don't really want to rack up large phone bills using data roaming!! I have read some of the thread and think maybe we'll ask to be located in Fountains 1.

2) What is the housekeeping schedule like? I have been to Florida many times but have never stayed in a Condo before, so don't really know what to expect!

Hi!

This is my first time posting on DisBoards! We are a family of 3 and are thinking of booking a 2 bedroom unit through British Airways (flight and resort included) - we're from the UK - for next August. The 8 year old is so excited!

I have a few questions:

1) Does the Wifi work around the pool? Being from the UK we don't really want to rack up large phone bills using data roaming!! I have read some of the thread and think maybe we'll ask to be located in Fountains 1.

2) What is the housekeeping schedule like? I have been to Florida many times but have never stayed in a Condo before, so don't really know what to expect!

Yes, many of the WiFi receivers are located on the exteriors of the buildings, so you should have decent reception at the pool. (I've never actually taken my electronics poolside however, so can't confirm).

Since it sounds like you are booking as a vacation package, you are probably getting daily housekeeping included (check the terms of your deal to be sure). Sheraton includes daily housekeeping for "hotel" type stays, but may have a program to swap housekeeping for free breakfast instead if you like. Regular timeshare stays get a mid-week tidy and towel change only. Friday checkin dates get Monday, Saturday gets Tuesday, and Sunday gets Wednesday.

FWIW, we are happier with the mid-week tidy as I don't like worrying about cleaning staff traipsing through our villa every day. I don't really feel I need clean sheets and towels every day; I certainly don't do that at home!

I hope you have a wonderful vacation!

Anyone know if SVR has a hurricane cancellation policy?

I'm not an owner. I've booked as a hotel stay in the past, but, this year I won a Skyauction bid. I understand that I can't get a refund, but, anyone know if SVR would offer anything in the form of a rebooking or credit?

I'm following one of the Irma threads, but, I thought I'd check-in with you guys.

My travel plans have me leaving Friday morning (driving) with a one-night stay at Pop, then checking-in to SVR on Sunday. Seriously considering canceling or rebooking, if possible.

Thank you for the information @bankr63 :)

Is there a resort fee to pay on arrival?

There are no mandatory resort fees at Vistana Resort.

Parking and most amenities are free. There are individual charges for some activities that can be charged back to your room. You will be offered upgraded internet for a fee, but ever since they installed the upgraded network, the older free network became much less congested and much more usable. I would suggest starting with the free internet, and upgrading to the paid premium internet only if you are having difficulties. Free internet does have a limit of 4 connected devices per villa.

Anyone know if SVR has a hurricane cancellation policy?

I'm not an owner. I've booked as a hotel stay in the past, but, this year I won a Skyauction bid. I understand that I can't get a refund, but, anyone know if SVR would offer anything in the form of a rebooking or credit?

I'm following one of the Irma threads, but, I thought I'd check-in with you guys.

My travel plans have me leaving Friday morning (driving) with a one-night stay at Pop, then checking-in to SVR on Sunday. Seriously considering canceling or rebooking, if possible.
I don't know about Sheraton specifically, but I can relate what happened in Hilton Head Island during/after Matthew in October last year. We watched closely as we were booked into HHI for March. Most of this is from posts on the TUG bbs.

All resorts were business as usual until forced to evacuate by state authorities, the resort standard cancellation policy applied to all reservations up to that time. Once evacuation went into effect, resort policies varied considerably. Some resorts offered owners a chance to rebook, other owners just lost the use of their week. The point being that nothing in anyone's policy changed until the resorts were forced to close by order.

If you are considering cancelling now, I expect that the regular cancellation policies are in effect. Irma's current projected path might hit South Florida, a long way from Orlando. It is currently unlikely that resorts or parks would need to close unless there is a sudden change in path. There will be a couple of fairly wet days though.

Following the Florida situation during Matthew, all that happened was the parks closed for a day (for the fourth time in its history) and there was lots of rain. Remember that Orlando was much closer to Matthew's projected path, although it veered north and made landfall almost directly over HHI. Some people reported great experiences at the parks that week as crowds were incredibly low.

I would monitor carefully, but based on current information, plan to move ahead if you don't want to lose your payment.

Last edited:
Looking at Vistana site today, they have updates for the two currently impacted resorts:

Westin St John (USVI):
Important Notice about Hurricane Irma
Due to Hurricane Irma, both The Henry E. Rohlsen Airport on St. Croix and The Cyril E. King Airport on St. Thomas are closed. Additionally, the US Coast Guard has closed all ports in the USVI. We anticipate the ports will be closed 4-5 days. We will continue to provide updates on both the reopening of the ports and the airports. Owner Services will waive the cancellation fees and adjust StarOptions for The Westin St. John Resort Villas guests who depart early due to the storm.

Harborside at Atlantis (Bahamas):
We are closely monitoring Hurricane Irma. Currently, Nassau/Paradise Island (Northwestern Bahamas) is under a Hurricane Warning. Please contact your airline directly for flight updates as airports will close once conditions deteriorate and safe travel will not be possible. Currently all activities at Harborside Resort at Atlantis and Atlantis, Paradise Island are operating as normal.

Note how badly impacted the resort had to be before the resort offered concessions on bookings.

No notices for the 5 US Vistana resorts currently in the hurricane's projected path.

Latest posting on the Vistana.com website with information for guests whose bookings may be impacted:
We continue to closely monitor Hurricane Irma as the safety and well-being of our Owners, Guests and Associates are our top priority. We have established hurricane plans and our resort teams are well-trained to implement those plans. We encourage those planning to visit destinations in the projected path to check the news for the most current information and amend travel plans accordingly. For Owner reservation changes or cancellations please contact Owner Services at 800-847-8262 or visit vistana.com. For rental Guests, if you have confirmed reservations with a Starwood hotel, please call 800-325-3535 or visit sheraton.com. For rental reservations made through third-party channels, please contact your booking agency directly.

Sounds like the impacts from Irma are mostly over at SVR. MCO has reopened, and flights are slowly getting back to normal, so you can get there and back. The resort itself is reporting on Facebook that everything is back to normal except the Springs pool which remains closed until it can be cleaned up.

Sister resort SVV had some power outages and minor flooding, but was returning to normal fairly quickly as well. SVV reminded travellers to call the central Sheraton reservation number instead of the resort directly as not all associates have been able to return to work so they are working with limited staff right now. I can only imagine that the same advice applies to SVR as well.

I hope all of the wonderful staff at the resorts have come through this ordeal whole. They are a hardworking team, and I am sure are facing great trials as they try to restore both their own homes and our home away from home.

Hi!

I've been at the resort twice in the last 4 years (2013 and 2015). We stayed in the same unit both times (Lakes section). First time, I placed the reservation directly in the website. Second time, via travel agent, who requested the same room.

On my previous stays, the rooms (2 bedroom villas) were sold as "Sleeps 8" units. 1 King bed and 2 Queen beds...

Now I'm going back (late November) and my reservation was placed in a different travel agent. And it shows a "Sleeps 6" unit, with 1 King bed and 2 single beds.

So, I'm confused if I'll be able to stay in the same room again, or at least in the same kind of room. Because we loved the Queen bed sizes we had in the past.

Or are the "Queen Beds" called "Single Beds" now, in some travel agents???

I would discuss with your TA.

I noticed quite some time ago that Starwood Hotels "dumbed down" their booking system to the lowest common denominator 2BR (sleeps 6) for ease of booking. It only seems to ever list the sleeps 6 configuration, even though sleeps 8 2BR units are the more common configuration at the resort. I did a quick search on the Starwood site looking for a reservation for a party of 8, any dates, and it showed me no availability at SVR, ever! It offered to book me into the sister resort SVV instead.

So, I am fairly certain that you can get your desired configuration unless you are travelling in a very busy period, in which case they can use this loophole to place you in Falls or Courts (the only 2 sections with Singles) if they are struggling for availability. FWIW, the singles are extra-long and still "heavenly bed" class. My DS is a 6 footer and he quite enjoys the bed.

Again, discuss with your travel agent, I'll bet (s)he can only see that one configuration at the resort for all dates. Your TA may be able to confirm your proper room size separately.

I would discuss with your TA.

I noticed quite some time ago that Starwood Hotels "dumbed down" their booking system to the lowest common denominator 2BR (sleeps 6) for ease of booking. It only seems to ever list the sleeps 6 configuration, even though sleeps 8 2BR units are the more common configuration at the resort. I did a quick search on the Starwood site looking for a reservation for a party of 8, any dates, and it showed me no availability at SVR, ever! It offered to book me into the sister resort SVV instead.

So, I am fairly certain that you can get your desired configuration unless you are travelling in a very busy period, in which case they can use this loophole to place you in Falls or Courts (the only 2 sections with Singles) if they are struggling for availability. FWIW, the singles are extra-long and still "heavenly bed" class. My DS is a 6 footer and he quite enjoys the bed.

Again, discuss with your travel agent, I'll bet (s)he can only see that one configuration at the resort for all dates. Your TA may be able to confirm your proper room size separately.

Thanks for your help!

That's exactly what I thought.

You pay for a "sleeps 6" unit. If that's what you get, that's what you paid for.

But if you get a "sleeps 8" unit, with Queen beds on the second bedroom, you'll probably feel lucky and happier...

Our period is not that busy, I think. We get there on a Sunday, Nov. 26th, in the evening. Right after Black Friday...

I asked for a building with elevators, so I expect to be at Lakes or Cascades, both with Queen beds, I think.

Looking to see if anyone has any experience or insight on this?

We are scheduled to arrive on a Guest Certificate getaway through Interval International... arriving Friday and checking out Friday. We were set to then head to Daytona Beach to stay at a friend's condo for week 2. I was just informed today that the Daytona Condo suffered damage from Hurricane Irma and will not be available to us. With our flights booked and vacation time okayed, we are looking at booking a second week at SVR through Interval. I'm curious if anyone else has ever done this? My big question is, if we do this, what are the chances SVR will allow us to stay in the same villa both weeks rather than checking out and having to move villas between week 1 and week 2?

Booking two concurrent weeks is pretty common. Simply send a Diamond Lane request identifying the two bookings and they will link them and do their best to keep you in the same villa. Doesn't always work out, and there is a disclaimer that it is not guaranteed, but I have only ever seen one report where the resort could not make it happen, and many more reports where the request was honored. You can book the second week pretty much through any source and they will try to accommodate your request. For instance I have linked an RCI week booking with extra nights booked directly at Starwood Hotels and been able to stay in the same villa.

I have (7) units booked at Vistana for the same week through Interval. There are two confirmation numbers listed on the Interval Guest certificates. Does anyone know which confirmation I use for the Diamond Lane form? We're having a family reunion and we of course would all like to stay in the same building or at least in buildings near each other if possible. Do you think it would be better to call the resort directly with our requests or should we just trust the Diamond Lane process to work and hope for the best?

Booking two concurrent weeks is pretty common. Simply send a Diamond Lane request identifying the two bookings and they will link them and do their best to keep you in the same villa. Doesn't always work out, and there is a disclaimer that it is not guaranteed, but I have only ever seen one report where the resort could not make it happen, and many more reports where the request was honored. You can book the second week pretty much through any source and they will try to accommodate your request. For instance I have linked an RCI week booking with extra nights booked directly at Starwood Hotels and been able to stay in the same villa.
Thanks. Exactly what I was looking for!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!