The Silver Dollar City/Dollywood dis

IP based lands aren't a draw for me. IMO Epcot was much better without all the IP that's being added. A great attraction is a great attraction regardless of IP attached to it. Disney's best coaster, Everest, isn't IP based. IMO some of the regional parks have some the best atmosphere. For me what makes a park is hearing the screams of people on all the rides.

I am trying pointing out a substantial difference between the park(s) model via IP. I think it would be a challenge to say that WDW/Universal doesn't have a higher consumer market penetration than the local parks, domestically. The Disney films drive park interest, especially to the <16 year olds. That same demographic then learns there is a place in Florida that has entire lands/attractions that are based on those films. That is where the dog wags the tail (although we have seen the tail can wag the dog via Pirates of the Caribbean and The Haunted Mansion movies).

ETA: I am sure there are many guests that would say Seven Dwarf's or RnR are Disney's best coaster; both being tied to IP.

Last edited:
My local park has a special place in my mind, so many wonderful memories. It is a big part of our summer days. We have chosen not to go this year since they are not requiring masks, and I miss it very, very much. We drive by it often and I look out the passenger window and pout like a little kid, haha.

So while it might not *look* like Disney, I value it just as much. I imagine others find great value in their parks as well.

Last edited:
We recently started going to Disney when my daughter was born to try it out. Our first trip since I was a kid (currently 42) was in 2018. I was completely unprepared for the planning required to visit Disney and the massive amount of crowds. I was also completely unprepared for how incredibly immersive down to the smallest details the parks were (specifically Animal Kingdom and Magic Kingdom). After we left, I would say my impression was good, but not so much that I thought I would be going back frequently. However, my wife used to go every year and stay at the Poly and has the best memories of her and her grandparents sharing that together. Long story short, we went back in 2019 and I appreciated it even more and am probably going to buy DVC now to gift the same experience my wife had to my daughter.

We had a June Poly trip planned for this year that of course got cancelled. It just so happens that Dollywood was able to re-open in June and their resort (The Dreammore) was opened and we were able to get a 2 bedroom suite. While I wouldn't necessarily make a comparison to Disney, Dollywood is an amazing place with very good theming and world class rides, albeit, more for thrill seekers than families. Although, they do have a very large collection of family attractions, but in my opinion not near the quality of Disney for smaller children. However, I did get a very Disney vibe from Dollywood that made me appreciate it quite a bit.

I listened to the podcast and didn't really take offense to any of it, but I do think some comments would probably be altered if the panel had visited Dollywood or Silver Dollar City recently. I have never been to Silver Dollar City, but I know they are the sister theme park to Dollywood and have heard very good things about it. They also have a lot in common in that there are massive investments being piled into both resulting in two parks that offer very good theming and world class rides.

Keep in mind Dollywood has as much or more entertainment than I've ever seen a park so right now with a lot of that not happening it's not exactly the same experience.

I think some of y'all are reading too much into this or making a blanket assumption about how we all feel about amusement parks. I was making fun of TripAdvisor rankings the same way I make fun of any reader polls, including the ones we do, because it is all biased based around the people who use the site or subscribe to the publication and then also take the time to rate and review and put out a good effort to go to as many parks as possible to be fair. IMO, I'll trust the opinion of one person who's been to every theme park imaginable and gives a personal ranking over reader's choice and aggregate sites that require people to try as many things as possible to be fair and balanced and also review everything and not just the things they really love or really hate. That's just me though.

As for Dollywood/Silver Dollar City - no I haven't been to either of them. They are on my list, but I barley ever have time for vacations so it might take some time for me to get there. However, if you've ever heard me talk about Kennywood, Knott's Berry Farm, Kings Island, or Hershey Park, which I believe I've probably only mentioned on Connecting with Walt or random other one-off's, then you'd know that I love a good regional amusement park. Same goes for Cedar Point. I'll even lump in Busch Gardens/SeaWorld, because they fall into that category I'm sure DW/SDC/KBF fall into where the visual theme/immersion is prevalent throughout the park, but it doesn't just quite hit the same level as WDW/DL. I love Universal, but even they still have a problem with having an amusement park feel in certain areas because of restaurant menus and boardwalk-style games. Heck, the boardwalk-style games are part of the reason why Pixar Pier/Paradise Pier was always a mess.

I'm all over the place is, but my point is that there's no hate for regional amusement parks. I agree with what many people are saying here that Epcot deserves to be lower than most of them right now in its current state. If I want a theme park experience, I want Disneyland, Magic Kingdom or Hollywood Studios. If I want coasters with light theming and fair food then I want a good regional park. Both are great, but it's almost unfair to lump them all together and compare the same way my Honda Insight shouldn't be compared to the person who lives across the street and drives a Maserati for some strange reason.

We are Disney Parks fans through and through, but after visiting both Dollywood and Silver Dollar City in the past few years, I have to say they both definitely offer a better value than Disney in terms of cost. We had the chance to stay at DreamMore at Dollywood, which is their resort hotel, and we kept saying that its just like a Disney resort, but at non-Disney prices. We stayed at Riviera Resort last month for the first time and for the price of a night there, we could've stayed a few nights at DreamMore.

That's not to say they're comparable, as both Dollywood and Silver Dollar City are both regional parks and Walt Disney World is a whole different animal.
At Disney, the Cast Members are trained to be nice. At Dollywood, the folks that work there are also trained to be nice, but the difference is at Dollywood, the niceness feels genuine and never feels forced.

Last edited:
You have to realize local parks like Silver Dollar City or Dollywood are not in the same league as Disney or Universal.
~Apologies on the long post~

I think that probably encapsulates how some may feel as far as feeling some sort of unfairness towards the descriptions of them (I mean this as a generality in comments as I haven't watched the podcast yet). The idea that they aren't in the same league. I'm not sure any other company is trying to be Disney or Universal and do they have to be in the same league (which just kinda sounds bad to be honest to use that descriptor IMO) for they to be good or worthy parks to look at? For them to have much of the same things that Disney or Universal has (like theming in areas and I think this part captures the differences in what people consider theming, attractions that people gravitate towards, to plan entire vacations around which people def. do for these parks)?

I haven't been to Dollywood yet but I have several times for Silver Dollar City. Silver Dollar City is near Table Rock Lake, it's in Branson which is a tourist mecca if you ever heard one. I'm actually quite concerned though with how Branson will shape up because it's economy is so intricately tied to tourism..which is a bit hard in a pandemic as we've seen. My in-laws actually own a time share near Branson, they own a specific lot in a campground near Branson too and take their 5th wheel with the experience being extremely similar to what Fort Wilderness would be. If anything I think the Branson/Table Rock Lake is more geared towards nature as it is very much surrounded by it much more that urban Orlando. That in itself may drive a different clientele. Pigeon Forge is also like this being in the mountains.

One thing I may delicately point out and in no way mean as an actual criticism towards Disney itself but which has been said way too many times on this Board for it to not be the case--Disney to some people is merely a rite of passage in which it has to be done (usually only for the kids) and when that happens a lot of times the repeat visitation is low. These other parks don't typically have that aspect and instead are ones people seek out purposefully as opposed to "well everyone has to take their kids to Disney because it's Disney".

**To just note I personally don't care if people like what they like. If Disney/Universal is all their are interested in totally cool or if they are much more impressed by Disney/Universal totally cool.

~Apologies on the long post~

I think that probably encapsulates how some may feel as far as feeling some sort of unfairness towards the descriptions of them (I mean this as a generality in comments as I haven't watched the podcast yet). The idea that they aren't in the same league. I'm not sure any other company is trying to be Disney or Universal and do they have to be in the same league (which just kinda sounds bad to be honest to use that descriptor IMO) for they to be good or worthy parks to look at? For them to have much of the same things that Disney or Universal has (like theming in areas and I think this part captures the differences in what people consider theming, attractions that people gravitate towards, to plan entire vacations around which people def. do for these parks)?

I haven't been to Dollywood yet but I have several times for Silver Dollar City. Silver Dollar City is near Table Rock Lake, it's in Branson which is a tourist mecca if you ever heard one. I'm actually quite concerned though with how Branson will shape up because it's economy is so intricately tied to tourism..which is a bit hard in a pandemic as we've seen. My in-laws actually own a time share near Branson, they own a specific lot in a campground near Branson too and take their 5th wheel with the experience being extremely similar to what Fort Wilderness would be. If anything I think the Branson/Table Rock Lake is more geared towards nature as it is very much surrounded by it much more that urban Orlando. That in itself may drive a different clientele. Pigeon Forge is also like this being in the mountains.

One thing I may delicately point out and in no way mean as an actual criticism towards Disney itself but which has been said way too many times on this Board for it to not be the case--Disney to some people is merely a rite of passage in which it has to be done (usually only for the kids) and when that happens a lot of times the repeat visitation is low. These other parks don't typically have that aspect and instead are ones people seek out purposefully as opposed to "well everyone has to take their kids to Disney because it's Disney".

**To just note I personally don't care if people like what they like. If Disney/Universal is all their are interested in totally cool or if they are much more impressed by Disney/Universal totally cool.
I fully agree with what you said. I have yet to go to the Branson area. I wouldn’t say I’d never go but it’s not something on top of my list either. Here in WI we have the Wisconsin Dells. Primarily water park based but it’s an entire tourist based area. Even having that I’d rather take my money and go to WDW/Universal or some place else. The major hotels in the Dells aren’t cheap either. I think everyone has their own draws and interests. This podcast is centered around Disney so of course those parks are going to be favored more so than the more regional ones.

I fully agree with what you said. I have yet to go to the Branson area. I wouldn’t say I’d never go but it’s not something on top of my list either. Here in WI we have the Wisconsin Dells. Primarily water park based but it’s an entire tourist based area. Even having that I’d rather take my money and go to WDW/Universal or some place else. The major hotels in the Dells aren’t cheap either. I think everyone has their own draws and interests. This podcast is centered around Disney so of course those parks are going to be favored more so than the more regional ones.
I have heard so many good things on this Board about Wisconsin Dells it's def. made me want to check it out! But I hear ya with respects to where you'd rather spend your money :)

I do think the regional amusement park label intentional or not often cheapens these parks and brings them down a notch or two in people's eyes automatically to the level of lesser parks. These Parks fill a gap in the market partially created by Disney's current pricing structure.Like people have said these are both major tourist destinations although they may be more usa destinations than International ones. I think in particular the significant investment in seasonal events with the food theming and entertainment is something that Regional Parks just don't really do and feels much more related Disney or Universal which is why I brought up the Dollywood Christmas event being the best in the country.

Also Wisconsin Dells just is not on the same level. The Mount Olympus owners really suck and are notoriously cheap and otherwise you really have to like water parks. The entertainment options in the area are not as good either.

I do think the regional amusement park label intentional or not often cheapens these parks and brings them down a notch or two in people's eyes automatically to the level of lesser parks. These Parks fill a gap in the market partially created by Disney's current pricing structure.Like people have said these are both major tourist destinations although they may be more usa destinations than International ones. I think in particular the significant investment in seasonal events with the food theming and entertainment is something that Regional Parks just don't really do and feels much more related Disney or Universal which is why I brought up the Dollywood Christmas event being the best in the country.

Also Wisconsin Dells just is not on the same level. The Mount Olympus owners really suck and are notoriously cheap and otherwise you really have to like water parks. The entertainment options in the area are not as good either.
That’s what these are though. They are regional parks. People for the most part don’t fly in for those parks. People fly in from all over the world for Disney and universal parks.

As for the Dells it’s much more than Mt. Olympus. I did say it’s primarily water parks. It’s billed as the water park capital of the world.

That’s what these are though. They are regional parks. People for the most part don’t fly in for those parks. People fly in from all over the world for Disney and universal parks.

As for the Dells it’s much more than Mt. Olympus. I did say it’s primarily water parks. It’s billed as the water park capital of the world.
until you actually visit these parks, I would not consider your opinion about them relevant to this discussion. You obviously have assumptions and a preferential bias.

until you actually visit these parks, I would not consider your opinion about them relevant to this discussion. You obviously have assumptions and a preferential bias.
I’ve been to the Dells a number of times so I can speak to them for sure.

It’s a fact that these other parks are regional parks. They may be theme parks yes but they are still regional. They aren’t attracting worldwide. Even Disneyland doesn’t attract on the same level as WDW. Disneyland to many is considered more regional due to its AP base.

I’ve been to the Dells a number of times so I can speak to them for sure.

It’s a fact that these other parks are regional parks. They may be theme parks yes but they are still regional. They aren’t attracting worldwide. Even Disneyland doesn’t attract on the same level as WDW. Disneyland to many is considered more regional due to its AP base.
And I told you from having been to the dells they do not compare. You can make the same point six different ways. You haven't been to these parks. You don't know a lot about them. Your judgment of what they are is not relevant.

And I told you from having been to the dells they do not compare. You can make the same point six different ways. You haven't been to these parks. You don't know a lot about them. Your judgment of what they are is not relevant.
I never said the Dells was the same. As Craig said about this whole conversation is being built up more than it should. These rankings are pointless IMO. They could’ve had all the Disney parks on top the list and I wouldn’t have read much into it. Rankings are all subjective and overall pointless in the grand scheme of things.

I never said the Dells was the same. As Craig said about this whole conversation is being built up more than it should. These rankings are pointless IMO. They could’ve had all the Disney parks on top the list and I wouldn’t have read much into it. Rankings are all subjective and overall pointless in the grand scheme of things.

For me, it wasn’t about the rankings, it was their response. When they listed Silver Dollar City as rounding out the top 10 they laughed and made fun of the park. One of the owners made the crack that it’s the one next to the $5 and under store.

It was very disrespectful. Craig’s comment about light theming and fair food is not what these parks are at all.

Silver Dollar City is a very clean, family friendly park with great rides, entertainment and food at a very reasonable price that’s able to be profitable without the massive up charges and without alcohol. That’s to be respected, in my opinion, not ridiculed.

For me, it wasn’t about the rankings, it was their response...It was very disrespectful. Craig’s comment about light theming and fair food is not what these parks are at all.

This reminds me of why I had to stop listening to the dining review show. Everyone had the same level of food authority (none). It made me uncomfortable to watch a bunch of white people failing to look up the pronunciation of basic non-American foods week in and week out.

There was a large discussion on that issue on these forums as well, and the official response was similarly dismissive. When some members of the DIS community say there is a lack of diversity and a myopia of thought among the panel and the fan community at large that goes unchecked, this is the type of behavior we’re talking about.

We‘re all in the Disney fan family. We can criticize or make negative statements about Disney because we all know deep down we share the same love. We have a shared social understanding.

But if you speak about something else, especially in a negative way on a widely dispersed public platform, and you have no idea what you’re actually talking about, maybe it’s time to let someone else speak.

Or—better yet—take a cue from Thumper and not say anything at all.

It’s all about preference. I went to Disney World, Disneyland, and Dollywood in 2019 (within a 5 month timespan). I would choose any individual Disney park (yes, even EPCOT and DCA) over Dollywood. But that’s me.

Besides, Cedar Point is where it’s at if you want coasters. ;-)

It’s all about preference. I went to Disney World, Disneyland, and Dollywood in 2019 (within a 5 month timespan). I would choose any individual Disney park (yes, even EPCOT and DCA) over Dollywood. But that’s me.

Besides, Cedar Point is where it’s at if you want coasters. ;-)
I do agree with the Cedar Point remark. Its fine you like the Disney parks. Its not necessarily you but my only issue with this whole thing is how dismissive many people are towards other parks. Its fine that you don't like them but don't hate on them if you've never been. The comment I hear a lot from a lot of Disney fans is that those parks just have a bunch of roller coasters and that's it.

@rteetz I beg to differ on people only travelling to Disney. Many people travel to Cedar Point and Dollywood and stay for multiple days. The other thing I will say is you really can't compare Wisconsin Dells and their parks to Cedar Point, Dollywood and Silver Dollar City. Have you ever been to any of those parks I listed?

I do agree with the Cedar Point remark. Its fine you like the Disney parks. Its not necessarily you but my only issue with this whole thing is how dismissive many people are towards other parks. Its fine that you don't like them but don't hate on them if you've never been. The comment I hear a lot from a lot of Disney fans is that those parks just have a bunch of roller coasters and that's it.

@rteetz I beg to differ on people only travelling to Disney. Many people travel to Cedar Point and Dollywood and stay for multiple days. The other thing I will say is you really can't compare Wisconsin Dells and their parks to Cedar Point, Dollywood and Silver Dollar City. Have you ever been to any of those parks I listed?
I didn’t say people didn’t travel to those other parks. It remains a fact though that the majority drive in and that these parks are considered regional. Like I said in a previous post even Disneyland is somewhat of a regional park. Again as I have said in previous posts I’m not comparing parks in the Dells specifically but more as a tourist destination. The Dells and Branson for example are tourist driven areas. No I have yet to go to these other regional parks. I have been to six flags and Bay Beach in Green Bay. I’m not saying I’d never go to these parks either but they don’t draw me like Universal and Disney. I’ve said that repeatedly in this thread.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter