The Silver Dollar City/Dollywood dis

For me, it wasn’t about the rankings, it was their response. When they listed Silver Dollar City as rounding out the top 10 they laughed and made fun of the park. One of the owners made the crack that it’s the one next to the $5 and under store.

It was very disrespectful. Craig’s comment about light theming and fair food is not what these parks are at all.

Silver Dollar City is a very clean, family friendly park with great rides, entertainment and food at a very reasonable price that’s able to be profitable without the massive up charges and without alcohol. That’s to be respected, in my opinion, not ridiculed.
I really do respect your opinion and passion for this park, but you also have to be able to step back and look at the big picture even though you do have an immense passion for the place.

Saying a place has fair food is disrespectful? Why do most people go to the fair? I don’t think it’s for the tilt-a-whirl. It was this way at least in Western PA. For the love of all that is holy, I talk about how a Disneyland corn dog is my favorite food at that park.

As for theming, I think Knott’s Ghost Town is better than Frontierland and I’m pretty sure I’d feel that same way about aspects of SDC/DW, but there is something next level about the Wizarding World of Harry Potter and Galaxy’s Edge that other parks just can’t do or they wouldn’t ever do it. Heck, Universal Studios Florida could’ve been chalked up as amusement park-esque pre-Diagon Alley with the exception of Hollywood and New York and that argument could still be made. I’m one of the first people to say that theming at Disney, specifically Magic Kingdom, is weak and has room for growth, but I think that’s part of the future of all of the parks as long as the economy and travel doesn’t get hit further.

Not everything needs to be on Disney/Universal level. That doesn’t mean everything else is less than, unclean, has bad food, etc... As for Branson, I plan on visiting one day to see Andy Williams perform in a land I’ve been told that’s like Vegas if it was run by Ned Flanders.

I have never been to Dollywood, so I can't speak on that. But I do live a few hours from Silver Dollar City and have visited several times for a vacation during my childhood and even a couple times in my adulthood. My most recent trip being July 2019. To put SDC even in the same realm as Universal and Disney parks is laughable. I appreciate SDC for what it is. It's fun for a day and I enjoy the history of the park. Branson, MO is a great tourist location as well. However, Disney and Universal blow SDC out of the water. I appreciate SDC for their recent additions (Time Traveler is awesome!) but there's no way you can spend more than two days there and not be bored out of your mind. In fact, when I went on my most recent trip in summer 2019, it was a disappointing trip. Two major rides (Powder Keg and Outlaw Run) were down the entire day. SDC is a great park for families with small children, but for a group of childless millenials, it left a lot to be desired. Meanwhile, I just got back from an 8-day trip in Universal/WDW and still feel sad there was so much we didn't get to do. I don't think the Dis was disrespectful in any way for laughing. I feel the same way.

I have never been to Dollywood, so I can't speak on that. But I do live a few hours from Silver Dollar City and have visited several times for a vacation during my childhood and even a couple times in my adulthood. My most recent trip being July 2019. To put SDC even in the same realm as Universal and Disney parks is laughable. I appreciate SDC for what it is. It's fun for a day and I enjoy the history of the park. Branson, MO is a great tourist location as well. However, Disney and Universal blow SDC out of the water. I appreciate SDC for their recent additions (Time Traveler is awesome!) but there's no way you can spend more than two days there and not be bored out of your mind. In fact, when I went on my most recent trip in summer 2019, it was a disappointing trip. Two major rides (Powder Keg and Outlaw Run) were down the entire day. SDC is a great park for families with small children, but for a group of childless millenials, it left a lot to be desired. Meanwhile, I just got back from an 8-day trip in Universal/WDW and still feel sad there was so much we didn't get to do. I don't think the Dis was disrespectful in any way for laughing. I feel the same way.
I'm 41 and before my baby came along at the end of last year would spend a full week at Cedar Point. I never run out of things to do. Where as I was at MK last year and other then the none IP based rides I was bored.

I guess I just took it as a joke , and really laughed at the five dollar joke. I don't think it was intended to be cruel at all.
I live in Mn and my brother and sisterinlaw lives in Tennessee. We always joke back and forth. For example: My SIL laughed at our state voting in a well known wrestler as governor, and I retaliated by saying that I heard that the Tn. State legislature passed a bill that made it legal to pick up road kill to eat. ( This law is really true)
We had some good laughs over it and never took it seriously.
I'm sorry some people took it as an insult. But I really think that was not intended that way. I have great respect for the dis team, and we are ALL going through stress right now.

Last edited:

but there's no way you can spend more than two days there and not be bored out of your mind.
Some people say the same thing about Universal too though (even as others make a whole week out of it). I find 3 days to be my preferred. I could do one more day more if I truly had the time but I split my time with WDW and when adding in travel, costs,etc (I already do 8 park days between the two) it's not as easy. When/if expansion occurs at Universal it's going to put the pressure on adding more days but that's where it stands for me at the present moment

Some people say the same thing about Universal too though (even as others make a whole week out of it). I find 3 days to be my preferred. I could do one more day more if I truly had the time but I split my time with WDW and when adding in travel, costs,etc (I already do 8 park days between the two) it's not as easy. When/if expansion occurs at Universal it's going to put the pressure on adding more days but that's where it stands for me at the present moment

Upon recently doing two days in Universal, I would have preferred an extra day there as well. But I definitely agree, it can be done in two days, especially if you have Express. SDC is a one and done deal, but two would be ideal if visiting the water park portion too.

Dollywood had around 5 hours of entertainment if you went to all the shows during Christmas. I would definitely consider it a two-day Park During certain times of the year. That being said when I'm looking at a vacation destination I'm not just talking about how many days can you spend in major parks. For example the Dollywood area has much higher quality dinner shows than the Orlando area. Smoky Mountain National Park is free and enormous and really awesome. I believe there are five or six Mountain coasters at this point in the region. I don't believe Orlando has any of those. There are a ton of zip line places which again Orlando does not have as much of. There are a couple of smaller parks like ober Gatling or anakeesta. And pretty much everything the International Drive has they have a copy of.

It is very easy to spend a solid week doing nothing repeated there. I personally don't look at a potential vacation destination as how many predefined parks are there and how many days can I spend in them. I look at them as how many tourist attractions are in the area would I consider closer to a parks and worth of experience.

I really wish somebody reviewed Parks like Doug demuro reviews cars

Last edited:

And yes hertamaniac one of my main points was that there are places outside of disney where you can still have a great vacation and fill the itch for a great park while getting a better value. I am sure a number of members here could offer you great tips on how to budget effectively.

Since I am in full research mode, there seems to be generally accepted positive reviews for SDC specifically at Christmas time. The videos I have seen certainly do corroborate what appeals to us. The days of thrill coasters are likely long gone for me, but the other entertainment and food offerings looks top-notch. And when I saw that they offer a campground with different tiers of cabins onsite, that draws us as fans of WDW FW and their cabins (although my personal favorite resort is OKW).

I live local to WDW for almost 20 years, so an escape to another park outside of our region is more than welcomed. It's targeting a time of year, lodging and other activities outside the park is what will make our itinerary.

I admit I rolled my eyes a little at the remarks, but I certainly wasn't offended or thought they were trying to be hateful lol. It was just a light conversation about a weird Trip Advisor list! It was clear they just hadn't been to Dollywood (which is totally fine by the way), so they don't know what a wonderful park it is. I hope everyone gets a chance to visit Dollywood if they're near the Smokies!

Since I watched Tim Tracker's videos I have been wanting the visit Silver Dollar City and Dollywood

1). Both parks look beautiful
2) They seem to so much more than a coaster parks. I see lots of crafts and entertainment (unlike Disney who has cut out some of their entertainment)
3) Specific to Dollywood, the Dolly Parton museum. I LOVE that woman. She is so fabulous:):)

Since I watched Tim Tracker's videos I have been wanting the visit Silver Dollar City and Dollywood

1). Both parks look beautiful
2) They seem to so much more than a coaster parks. I see lots of crafts and entertainment (unlike Disney who has cut out some of their entertainment)
3) Specific to Dollywood, the Dolly Parton museum. I LOVE that woman. She is so fabulous:):)

There is so much entertainment at Dollywood, plenty of rides for kids and thrills for adults, the food is great, and the atmosphere is second only to a Disney park.

I really do respect your opinion and passion for this park, but you also have to be able to step back and look at the big picture even though you do have an immense passion for the place.

Saying a place has fair food is disrespectful? Why do most people go to the fair? I don’t think it’s for the tilt-a-whirl. It was this way at least in Western PA. For the love of all that is holy, I talk about how a Disneyland corn dog is my favorite food at that park.

As for theming, I think Knott’s Ghost Town is better than Frontierland and I’m pretty sure I’d feel that same way about aspects of SDC/DW, but there is something next level about the Wizarding World of Harry Potter and Galaxy’s Edge that other parks just can’t do or they wouldn’t ever do it. Heck, Universal Studios Florida could’ve been chalked up as amusement park-esque pre-Diagon Alley with the exception of Hollywood and New York and that argument could still be made. I’m one of the first people to say that theming at Disney, specifically Magic Kingdom, is weak and has room for growth, but I think that’s part of the future of all of the parks as long as the economy and travel doesn’t get hit further.

Not everything needs to be on Disney/Universal level. That doesn’t mean everything else is less than, unclean, has bad food, etc... As for Branson, I plan on visiting one day to see Andy Williams perform in a land I’ve been told that’s like Vegas if it was run by Ned Flanders.

I guess I don't know what the big picture is here. It was a reader's poll. About people's favorite places and things. No one said that they're the same. Just because someone likes something that you might not like or might not be familiar with, it does not mean that their opinion is invalid or less valid than your opinion. In the world section of the same list, they listed Puy du Fou in France as their number 2. I'm not really familiar with the place, so my reaction was "oh, that's interesting. Maybe I should see what that place is all about," and you know what... It looks like a really cool place and I'd love to visit the next time I go to France. That's kind of the point of these lists. Not everyone is familiar with every place in the world, so a small write up along with a bunch of people's experiences is a great way to find new places to visit.

Yes, I guess I am also one of those weirdos that you mentioned in your video. I read reviews and I watch your content, most of which are also reviews. Sometimes I even do trip reports and write reviews on the boards. I was also posting operational updates when I visited a few weeks ago. I even individually reviewed and ranked the four Disney World parks in my trip report based on how I thought they did with regards to the reopening in terms of the overall experience, social distancing and mask compliance. (#1 Animal Kingdom, #2 Epcot, #3 Magic Kingdom, #4 Hollywood Studios) Why did I individually rank and review entire theme parks? It was fun and I thought someone might find it interesting given the new world that we're living in.

For all the list talk, you guys seem to have forgotten that you guys do lists all the time. Your channel had a best and worst list of the Winnie the Pooh ride a few weeks ago.

Perhaps I wasn't very clear. The "it being disrespectful" was more in reference to the laughter and the bad joke that I clearly didn't get. The next sentence was with regards to how I felt your comments were a mischaracterization of the park. Perhaps you still think that's the correct way to describe it and maybe it will change if you ever decide to visit, but maybe it won't. We'll just have to agree to disagree there. In terms of theming, I think Silver Dollar City is what Frontierland should be, but that doesn't mean that I dislike Frontierland or think it's a bad product. Magic Kingdom just could really use an old-timey blacksmith making stuff, among other things. I also think that the no alcohol thing is closer to Walt's vision and I wish Disney would eliminate it from the parks. I know that I'm in the minority here and that it makes too much money for corporate to stop now, but perhaps that is one of the benefits of Silver Dollar City being a family owned park as opposed to being a corporate run park. Sticking to principles isn't really something the Disney company can do anymore as an international conglomerate which is something they could do when Walt was building Disneyland.

If you ever decide to go to Silver Dollar City, that's totally cool. I hope you enjoy your time. If not, then that's fine too. I'll never stop finding it hilarious that Slinky Dog Dash could have been a spinning coaster that does loop-de-loops. Do what makes you happy, don't feel obligated to go someplace you're not interested in. I'll be back in Disney World in 42 days and I'm sure I'll have a blast.

The Universal thing is something that I don't get personally mainly because it has the misfortune of being right next to Disney World and I want to get the most value out of my annual pass. It's just so IP-heavy on things that I'm not really interested in. I know there are people that love Harry Potter, but I guess it's not something that's really stayed with me the same way that Disney has stayed with me over the years. Now if Super Nintendo World ever happens, I'm in. I just hope they do Nintendo Princess meet and greets. I also know that there are plenty of people who prefer Universal over Disney and their opinions are certainly valid and I can understand why they'd love it. I also know that there are people that think Animal Kingdom is just a half-day park, but it's my favorite Disney park. I don't find it necessary to laugh at or try to invalidate their opinions.

My responses weren't meant to be taken in as me saying Silver Dollar City is better than Disney World or that it's the same thing. I was just trying to point out that it's a really good park too that's gotten plenty of awards for their operations and the park is well regarded within the industry. It was meant more as a don't knock it until you try it sort of thing.

I guess that's the thing about preferences, we all like different things. I think reviews and these kind of lists are fun because they can help you find someplace new, which is why I enjoy your content. I know someone on the the show mentioned that they found a really good restaurant on yelp. I mean, that's kind of the point of these kind things, it's to find new places to enjoy.

As for Branson, I plan on visiting one day to see Andy Williams perform in a land I’ve been told that’s like Vegas if it was run by Ned Flanders.
:rotfl2: YAlthough you missed the boat on seeing Andy Williams though (by about 8 years)
SDC specifically at Christmas time.
It's a great time to go. The entire park is decorated like Mainstreet in MK or Suessland at Universal.
Also-don't miss Dolly's Stampede Christmas show!

For me, it wasn’t about the rankings, it was their response. When they listed Silver Dollar City as rounding out the top 10 they laughed and made fun of the park. One of the owners made the crack that it’s the one next to the $5 and under store.

It was very disrespectful. Craig’s comment about light theming and fair food is not what these parks are at all.

Silver Dollar City is a very clean, family friendly park with great rides, entertainment and food at a very reasonable price that’s able to be profitable without the massive up charges and without alcohol. That’s to be respected, in my opinion, not ridiculed.
We have been SDC Season Pass Holders for years. $100 (It went up a little this year) gets you unlimited visits and some free guest passes. food is very reasonable. You can barely walk 100 yards without walking by free shows. The only thing I would change is the terrain. Like Dollywood, it’s very hilly and some of the grades can be steep. You get a workout.

We live in middle TN, and we've done annual passes for Dollywood a couple times now. We usually plan that for the year we take off Disney/Universal (both of which we LOVE.) We're in the middle of the "year of Disney," so wasn't considering DW this year, However, Dollywood is SO wonderful at Halloween, Fall, and Christmas. We might just scoot over there. The kids are older, and LOVE the coasters, especially Lightning Rod and Wild Eagle. I can do a few coasters, but what I love about DW, are all the water elements, There are water streams throughout, peaceful places in the shade to rest, water wheels, ducks to watch, etc. The Dollywood resort is nice, and gives you a shuttle bus over to the parks. We enjoyed the Water park well enough. Not as much as Typhoon Lagoon, but still lots of fun for the day. I think DW gives a good balance of fun for all ages. shows for folks who are into thrill rides, a large kiddie area, thrill rides, coaster, and the food is good enough. (I"m not a fan of Disney food, unless it's something we cant' get around here,) theme park food is theme park food. Aunt Granny's was good. Gatlinburg though can get pretty tourist crazy. We've yet to really venture far into it. But the Smoky Mountains are close, if you want to go sightseeing there.

I guess I don't know what the big picture is here. It was a reader's poll. About people's favorite places and things. No one said that they're the same. Just because someone likes something that you might not like or might not be familiar with, it does not mean that their opinion is invalid or less valid than your opinion. In the world section of the same list, they listed Puy du Fou in France as their number 2. I'm not really familiar with the place, so my reaction was "oh, that's interesting. Maybe I should see what that place is all about," and you know what... It looks like a really cool place and I'd love to visit the next time I go to France. That's kind of the point of these lists. Not everyone is familiar with every place in the world, so a small write up along with a bunch of people's experiences is a great way to find new places to visit.

Yes, I guess I am also one of those weirdos that you mentioned in your video. I read reviews and I watch your content, most of which are also reviews. Sometimes I even do trip reports and write reviews on the boards. I was also posting operational updates when I visited a few weeks ago. I even individually reviewed and ranked the four Disney World parks in my trip report based on how I thought they did with regards to the reopening in terms of the overall experience, social distancing and mask compliance. (#1 Animal Kingdom, #2 Epcot, #3 Magic Kingdom, #4 Hollywood Studios) Why did I individually rank and review entire theme parks? It was fun and I thought someone might find it interesting given the new world that we're living in.

For all the list talk, you guys seem to have forgotten that you guys do lists all the time. Your channel had a best and worst list of the Winnie the Pooh ride a few weeks ago.

Perhaps I wasn't very clear. The "it being disrespectful" was more in reference to the laughter and the bad joke that I clearly didn't get. The next sentence was with regards to how I felt your comments were a mischaracterization of the park. Perhaps you still think that's the correct way to describe it and maybe it will change if you ever decide to visit, but maybe it won't. We'll just have to agree to disagree there. In terms of theming, I think Silver Dollar City is what Frontierland should be, but that doesn't mean that I dislike Frontierland or think it's a bad product. Magic Kingdom just could really use an old-timey blacksmith making stuff, among other things. I also think that the no alcohol thing is closer to Walt's vision and I wish Disney would eliminate it from the parks. I know that I'm in the minority here and that it makes too much money for corporate to stop now, but perhaps that is one of the benefits of Silver Dollar City being a family owned park as opposed to being a corporate run park. Sticking to principles isn't really something the Disney company can do anymore as an international conglomerate which is something they could do when Walt was building Disneyland.

If you ever decide to go to Silver Dollar City, that's totally cool. I hope you enjoy your time. If not, then that's fine too. I'll never stop finding it hilarious that Slinky Dog Dash could have been a spinning coaster that does loop-de-loops. Do what makes you happy, don't feel obligated to go someplace you're not interested in. I'll be back in Disney World in 42 days and I'm sure I'll have a blast.

The Universal thing is something that I don't get personally mainly because it has the misfortune of being right next to Disney World and I want to get the most value out of my annual pass. It's just so IP-heavy on things that I'm not really interested in. I know there are people that love Harry Potter, but I guess it's not something that's really stayed with me the same way that Disney has stayed with me over the years. Now if Super Nintendo World ever happens, I'm in. I just hope they do Nintendo Princess meet and greets. I also know that there are plenty of people who prefer Universal over Disney and their opinions are certainly valid and I can understand why they'd love it. I also know that there are people that think Animal Kingdom is just a half-day park, but it's my favorite Disney park. I don't find it necessary to laugh at or try to invalidate their opinions.

My responses weren't meant to be taken in as me saying Silver Dollar City is better than Disney World or that it's the same thing. I was just trying to point out that it's a really good park too that's gotten plenty of awards for their operations and the park is well regarded within the industry. It was meant more as a don't knock it until you try it sort of thing.

I guess that's the thing about preferences, we all like different things. I think reviews and these kind of lists are fun because they can help you find someplace new, which is why I enjoy your content. I know someone on the the show mentioned that they found a really good restaurant on yelp. I mean, that's kind of the point of these kind things, it's to find new places to enjoy.
I think there is a big thing on forums like these that there are a lot of people who have had more experience in more diverse Parks like you have had than the admins or mods. When those (admin/mod) people try to comment on a discussion like this they often look really out of touch or try to downplay your own experience. I mean I absolutely get it this is a fan forum we are talking about parks that aren't the primary focus and like I said there it's no reason for the mods for to promote these parks. I think some of your comments could have been worded in a better way but it also think there is a predetermined hostility to downplay your opinion based on your comments versus address your actual opinions of other parks.

As much as I respect someone like kevin he has just added fire to the flames by choosing to maintain level of ignorance. I would ask mods or admins to straight up like not comment on this thread if they don't have something from experience to add much like a normal individual would do in a thread they don't know something about. At best it is a better way to ignore the existence of this thread or the parks being good. It seems like it's been trending that way at least.

Last edited:
Bay Beach is a cute, quaint little local amusement park, I used to go as a kid growing up in WI...but I wouldn't say it's better than Busch Gardens.

This is interesting to me. I spent the first 26 years of my life in Wisconsin. I have never once heard of Bay Beach until today.

As someone who visits many other parks besides Disney's in a normal year, it is very frustrating to see people who largely don't bother to visit many places beyond Orlando dismiss all non-Disney/Universal parks out of hand because they lack IP, billions of dollars of budget, or your own personal nostalgia. Even more so when those same people turn around and show contempt for those who call them on their ignorance.

That's where the frustration is coming from in this thread. Sure, there are some smaller/local/regional parks that aren't great and couldn't stand up to Disney on their best day of their entire existence. But it's irksome to see some people who clearly don't venture much out of the WDW bubble dismiss other great places out of hand and assume that every other park is like that. When there are great parks out there that are deemed irrelevant and laughable simply because there isn't a Mickey Mouse silhouette on the sign.

Sure, they don't need a week to visit, but you don't need a week for DL or USH either (in fact, it really takes more time to do a place like Dollywood, Silver Dollar City, or Cedar Point justice than it does to visit USH). Yet somehow I don't recall ever seeing the same contempt for DLR or USH on here. It's a double standard.

Disney does a lot of things right, but so do lots of those other parks. Often for far, far less money, which makes me far more forgiving when they fail to measure up. There's less separating the WDW in-park experience and some of these other places than many on here would like to admit, so maybe we can drop the condescension some have expressed on here just a tad? I don't think that's too much to ask.

As someone who visits many other parks besides Disney's in a normal year, it is very frustrating to see people who largely don't bother to visit many places beyond Orlando dismiss all non-Disney/Universal parks out of hand because they lack IP, billions of dollars of budget, or your own personal nostalgia. Even more so when those same people turn around and show contempt for those who call them on their ignorance.

That's where the frustration is coming from in this thread. Sure, there are some smaller/local/regional parks that aren't great and couldn't stand up to Disney on their best day of their entire existence. But it's irksome to see some people who clearly don't venture much out of the WDW bubble dismiss other great places out of hand and assume that every other park is like that. When there are great parks out there that are deemed irrelevant and laughable simply because there isn't a Mickey Mouse silhouette on the sign.

Sure, they don't need a week to visit, but you don't need a week for DL or USH either (in fact, it really takes more time to do a place like Dollywood, Silver Dollar City, or Cedar Point justice than it does to visit USH). Yet somehow I don't recall ever seeing the same contempt for DLR or USH on here. It's a double standard.

Disney does a lot of things right, but so do lots of those other parks. Often for far, far less money, which makes me far more forgiving when they fail to measure up. There's less separating the WDW in-park experience and some of these other places than many on here would like to admit, so maybe we can drop the condescension some have expressed on here just a tad? I don't think that's too much to ask.
One has to remember that a lot of Disney fans are outside the realm of judging value on a vacation. There are simply straight up wealthy and they just pay for whatever it takes to get to the best places. If a park doesn't have the marketing muscle to tell them they exist and what they have they probably don't know they exist nor care to go there. I made the point about Christmas in Dollywood because there is an aspect of this assumption that those people think a "regional park" could not deliver a product that had comparisons of a major destination Disney park. I said that Disney is a great experience still but not a great value but once you make enough money a expensive cup of coffee at $5 to me is $0.05 to many of these people. If every Park including Disney is cheap because you are wealthy the rankings completely change besides the wealthy people that actually love the more coaster Centric parks

To add on the last 2 posts, majority of people will pay to travel to Disney and Universal from far distances. Many won't do the same for regional parks. I would be considered an outlier in that I have 2 parks withing an hour of me and I usually choose to drive 5 hrs to go to Cedar Point instead. Most only know their regional park and Disney/Universal. Right or wrong many have the belief that all regional parks are pretty much the same. They are parks with lots of coasters and big thrill rides. It makes me sad to when people say that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter