The Snarkiest Safari That Ever Sailed! An October 2018, Food & Wine Trip! Complete 4/26/19!!

Check-out day :sad:

The worst day... unless you're checking in somewhere else. :)

We sat him up on the rock and posed him for our pic and then left him there. I was hoping his owner had just dropped him and would realize it and come back for him soon.
If not, I'm sure someone else came along to give him a good home ::yes::

That's a nice way of looking at it. And... well, if it was lost, there are plenty of others to replace it with.

We watched the Move It, Shake It Parade,

Sorry, just can't get in to this parade.

enhance

Nice shot of you guys. :)

and then went in to watch some glass blowing. This is one of Mike's favorite things to do, and truthfully, I find it fascinating too.

::yes:: I must get over there now that I know they do actual blowing and not just bending.

She was making a glass pumpkin

Cool! I'd buy that!

that I sort of wanted but didn't end up getting for some reason :confused3

Because, like me, you think "I'll come back later..." And then you forget.

Of course I don't have a good picture of the finished product. Here's a lovely, blurry pic :sad2:

Get an idea, though. :)

Afterwards, I finally caught the show on the castle stage in its entirety…Friendship Fare?

Nope. Not into the castle shows either.

Mike got bored and wandered off somewhere.

I'm with Mike on this one.

We met up again after and headed over to the HM,

Best. Ride. In. Disney.

and then BTMR

Second best ride in the park.

I'm not certain what he ended up doing, but I'm guessing they have benches in the MK too :P

:laughing:

We got into a little snit after that because when I made the FP reservations, I thought he would go on Splash Mountain with me as he had done in the past. I guess he has since decided that he doesn't like the drop of this ride either and wouldn't go on. I wouldn't really care but I wish he'd have told me before and I would have made the FP for something different.

Ah well. I guess it can't all be sunshine and roses.

Plus, for me, SM is more fun with other people.

Nice to have someone to scream with.

Plenty of elbow room, though.
I'm surprised that everyone has their hands up!

and then we went over to something I KNEW Mike would ride.

Was half expecting you to say "but he didn't".

before going back to DS and having the MOST disappointing meal of this trip.

Where, you ask? That's coming up next!

Uh, oh... Standing by!

Just after we were seated, Mike had the brilliant idea to go put our name in on the Trader Sam's wait list.
Going inside TS's was on our bucket list for this trip, so this was a smart move.
I would love to see Trader Sam's. I never have, maybe never will. I really enjoy run cocktails, but DW is not much of a drinker and probably wouldn't appreciate the atmosphere, so I think the experience would be lost on her.

Obviously the view from there is not as good as seeing them from the MK,
but with no crowds to fight and just walking back to the pool after, it's heavenly.
It's a view I would love to try out sometime!

Before we checked out of the room, we walked over to get some coffee and we found this guy all alone on the ground.
Oh no, how sad. My DD has the exact same doll at home. I hope he got back to his owner.

This was adorable and I'm glad I stopped to watch
I only saw the last two sections of that show but it did seem pretty good. It was too dang hot for us to stand out in the sun for the whole thing!

Keeping with the relaxing theme of the day, we boarded the train in Frontierland,

I really love the train actually. The past couple of times I've been at WDW it's been closed or my DD didn't want to ride it. I hope this next trip to go on.

I've never been for breakfast :sad2: We did try the Tonga Toast at Capn' Cook's last year and thought it was okay. Of course, they do not serve the strawberry sauce in there so I don't think it's as good.
I love the Kona pressed pot coffee so good. I usually get a traditional breakfast but really just go for that amazing coffee.

Do you know where the TS door is? If you walk in the Poly and walk to the left past the gift shop and bathrooms, there will be a door on the right. It's kind of hiding and doesn't look like much. If you go in, there's a hostess at a desk. She takes your name and phone number and will text when you can enter.
I've walked down that hallway so many times and can't believe I never noticed it :confused3 Thanks for the info :hug:

Very very cool

Beautiful shot

Tiana :love: and Louie

I'm not certain what he ended up doing, but I'm guessing they have benches in the MK too :P
He should have his own bench in every park lol

Despite all this, I rode by myself…wheee…
I'm glad you still rode it's so much fun

Keeping with the relaxing theme of the day, we boarded the train in Frontierland,
We love to ride the train unless it's unbearably hot

Sorry, just can't get in to this parade.

I wouldn't go out of my way to watch. We kind of bumped into it and had nowhere else to be :goodvibes

I must get over there now that I know they do actual blowing and not just bending.

I'm curious to see what a true, glass-blowing connoisseur thinks :P

Because, like me, you think "I'll come back later..." And then you forget.

Exactly :sad1:

Best. Ride. In. Disney.

I agree!

Plenty of elbow room, though.
I'm surprised that everyone has their hands up!

Except me! I'm trying to keep my hair dry :rotfl2:

I would love to see Trader Sam's. I never have, maybe never will. I really enjoy run cocktails, but DW is not much of a drinker and probably wouldn't appreciate the atmosphere, so I think the experience would be lost on her.

I'm not a big drinker either and I love TS :love: I kind of love Tiki Stuff and 70s kitsch though, so maybe that's why. Or the next time they suggest going to the outlet mall, you can just uber yourself over to the Poly and go alone :-)

I really love the train actually. The past couple of times I've been at WDW it's been closed or my DD didn't want to ride it. I hope this next trip to go on.

I love the train, both as a form of transportation or just to get off our feet and relax for a bit. :love:

I love the Kona pressed pot coffee so good. I usually get a traditional breakfast but really just go for that amazing coffee.

I really need to try this. Do they sell this at the little Kona Island? Otherwise I'll have to make it a point to get a breakfast ADR here next time.

I've walked down that hallway so many times and can't believe I never noticed it :confused3

It's really hard to miss. I think that's by design ::yes::

Tiana :love: and Louie

I :love: Princess and the Frog! I am so excited because this past week we ended up adding Starz onto our cable and that's one of the movies on-demand :cool1: I already watched it again the other night ::yes::

I wouldn't go out of my way to watch. We kind of bumped into it and had nowhere else to be :goodvibes

Like... across the street?

I'm curious to see what a true, glass-blowing connoisseur thinks :P

By "connoisseur", if you mean I look at glass and either say "I don't like it" or "ooohhh... pretty"...

Then yes. I am a connoisseur.

:hug:

We can stay friends, then.

Except me! I'm trying to keep my hair dry :rotfl2:

:laughing:

Before we checked out of the room, we walked over to get some coffee and we found this guy all alone on the ground.
enhance

We sat him up on the rock and posed him for our pic and then left him there. I was hoping his owner had just dropped him and would realize it and come back for him soon.

I'm sure someone claimed him. Adorable pic!

Not having too much planned was kind of nice and relaxing. We watched the Move It, Shake It Parade,
enhance

enhance
No plans days for us are rare, but can be some of the best times. I don't know why i don't leave more time unscheduled. I'm addicted to overplanning! My kiddos enjoy this parade. I'm good to stop for a few minutes, but then want to be on my way. It doesn't help that we go in the summer...

and then went in to watch some glass blowing. This is one of Mike's favorite things to do, and truthfully, I find it fascinating too. She was making a glass pumpkin that I sort of wanted but didn't end up getting for some reason :confused3
enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

It was really cool how she attached the stem on top.
enhance

Of course I don't have a good picture of the finished product. Here's a lovely, blurry pic :sad2:
enhance
Ok, I feel like a bad WDW fan for having no idea this was there! Where is this?? It looks so cool.

Afterwards, I finally caught the show on the castle stage in its entirety…Friendship Fare?
enhance

enhance

enhance

This was adorable and I'm glad I stopped to watch. Mike got bored and wandered off somewhere.
We were actually in MK the day this show premiered, but have never stopped to see it. Again, going in the summer means I have to be really motivated to stand in the sun for 30+ minutes in the hub to experience something. Would it be worth a try in those conditions? We are willing to do it, just choosy about what we do it for lol

We got into a little snit after that because when I made the FP reservations, I thought he would go on Splash Mountain with me as he had done in the past. I guess he has since decided that he doesn't like the drop of this ride either and wouldn't go on. I wouldn't really care but I wish he'd have told me before and I would have made the FP for something different. He said he didn't mind, but it bothered me. Plus, for me, SM is more fun with other people.
Despite all this, I rode by myself…wheee…
This would have gotten me too! I'm impressed that you went on with it by yourself and love your solo front row pic!

We had gotten the room ready text and wanted to go get checked in and settled at AKL,

Where, you ask? That's coming up next!
More disappointing than Pecos Bill's fajitas??? Kidding. ;) I'm super curious. Looking forward to more!

I really need to try this. Do they sell this at the little Kona Island?
I'm not sure but since we're staying at the WL next month I know we'll be visiting the Poly. Ill check and report back lol

I :love: Princess and the Frog! I am so excited because this past week we ended up adding Starz onto our cable and that's one of the movies on-demand :cool1: I already watched it again the other night ::yes::
I have it saved on my DVR :love: Love the music, the characters it really is the BEST! When DD and I are together we always quote from the movie lol

enhance

Oh poor Stitch, but so nice of you all to take his picture. Casey would have definitely given him a good home. It takes all we have to keep casey from trying to keep every stuffed animal, toy car, sunglasses, etc we find laying around the world.

This is one of Mike's favorite things to do, and truthfully, I find it fascinating too. She was making a glass pumpkin that I sort of wanted but didn't end up getting for some reason :confused3
enhance
I have never thought to stop in here! I see it all the time on the ME video and don't know why I never considered stopping. Will have to correct that as I'm sure Jason would be fascinated too.

What am I gonna do with you and Ariane and your ponchos come May :P

We ended up back at Pecos Bill's for lunch. I can't even remember if this was trip number 2 or 3,
:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2: You have some serious Pecos Bills love

We had gotten the room ready text and wanted to go get checked in and settled at AKL,
Oh no!!!!! Dying to know what this could be

No plans days for us are rare, but can be some of the best times. I don't know why i don't leave more time unscheduled. I'm addicted to overplanning! My kiddos enjoy this parade. I'm good to stop for a few minutes, but then want to be on my way. It doesn't help that we go in the summer...

When it's just Mike and I, it's easy to not overplan. That is much harder to do when you're with a big group because you want everyone to have a turn at doing their favorite things. Next June/July we'll be going as a group of 7 with multi-generations. I'll definitely be doing a lot of planning on that trip!

Ok, I feel like a bad WDW fan for having no idea this was there! Where is this?? It looks so cool.

Arribes Bros…the glass store on the right hand side of Main Street, as you face the castle. They have nice gifts in here too ::yes::

Would it be worth a try in those conditions?

I don't know if I would stand to watch if it was a million degrees out. Maybe early morning would be best, but I'm not sure when the first show is. It is a really cute show, though :goodvibes

More disappointing than Pecos Bill's fajitas???

Aw :sad: Am I the only one who loves me some Peco's Bills??:laughing:

I'm not sure but since we're staying at the WL next month I know we'll be visiting the Poly. Ill check and report back lol

Good luck! And good luck finding the door to TS too!
[QUOTE="wdwnut61, post: 60242541, member: 36152"]I have it saved on my DVR :love: Love the music, the characters it really is the BEST! When DD and I are together we always quote from the movie lol[/QUOTE]

I knew there was a reason I liked you! ::yes::

Casey would have definitely given him a good home. It takes all we have to keep casey from trying to keep every stuffed animal, toy car, sunglasses, etc we find laying around the world.

Oh, I'm sure he didn't last long there :goodvibes

I have never thought to stop in here! I see it all the time on the ME video and don't know why I never considered stopping. Will have to correct that as I'm sure Jason would be fascinated too.

I think we kind of stumbled upon it on a trip in 2014 and Mike has loved it ever since :lovestruc

What am I gonna do with you and Ariane and your ponchos come May :P

:laughing: You'll be trapped in our sea of plastic!

You have some serious Pecos Bills love

And it's so strange because I've eaten here in the past, I just didn't know I loved it so much :rotfl2:

Oh no!!!!! Dying to know what this could be

I have to take some of the blame for this one :sad2:

October 21, 2018
Doubly Disappointing

Let's just get this over with, shall we? I've been dragging my feet about starting this post because I usually like to write about things I enjoy and make me happy.

I wanted to love AKL, I really, really did. I had heard such amazing things about it and so many people rank it as their favorite WDW resort. And it's…fine, really. There are some very nice things about it, such as the lobby, and seeing the animals out in the Savanna. Maybe the fact that the pool area was under refurbishment came into play here, and it's not like I didn't know about that going in, so it wasn't a disappointment, per se. I just felt very underwhelmed by AKL. There. I said it. And I'm sorry if I offend anyone by my statement. That's not to say that I think AKL is trash, it's just not for us. And yes, us. Mike felt very much the same way.
I think it was even more disappointing having just come from the Poly which we LOVE :love:.

I'm not basing my review on our initial reaction to it, we were trying to be open-minded about it at first but then it was hard NOT to compare it to the Poly…

Location-not as good. Where's the monorail? Where are my fireworks from the beach?
Quick service-not as good. The Mara is basically hidden down in a dungeon and took forever to get to. Also, it's dark and dreary, and not in a good way.

Rooms-not as good. Granted, maybe we would have enjoyed it more with a Savanna view, but we had just come from a Standard View at the Poly and loved it.

I guess I'm getting ahead of myself here, but I kind of want to get that out of the way because it's hard for me to start talking about our stay here without revealing my true feelings about it.

In spite of this, we had a lovely last few days of our trip, but let's just say they were more park-going days, instead of relaxing at the resort days.
And I guess that's fine too.

I didn't even take a pic of our room number, but it was a Standard View Room with a view of the pool under refurbishment.
And it took forever to get to from the lobby.

I'll just leave these here...

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

After we got our bags in and settled, we decided to head back to Disney Springs for some dinner.
On our way out, we stopped and took some pics from one of the lookout areas in the back.

enhance

Sadly, checking into the AKL was not the most disappointing thing that happened to me this day.

We didn't have an ADR at Disney Springs, so we decided to eat at Earl of Sandwich.
Now, I have eaten here many times and have always enjoyed it but I was trying to stay away from carbs this trip and completely ordered the wrong thing.
Totally my mistake and I should have known better than to not order a sandwich at a place that specializes in sandwiches.

Behold, gross Tomato Soup and an even more disgusting Greek Salad. Now ya'll know I love my salads, but this was NOT good.
I barely ate any of either and I sat and waited for Mike to eat his Holiday Sandwich, which he really enjoyed (but I don't have a photo of).

enhance

enhance

We walked around DS for a bit after.
enhance

enhance

And that was that for this day.
I promise the next day was much better, and includes the snarky safari and one of my favorite meals of the trip!

Sorry you didn’t like AKL, I have really loved our 2 stays here. We had a standard studio and we had a partial savanna view which I loved and this January a regular resort room. I thought the regular resort room was small compared to my beloved GF. I agree the Mara is in an out of the way area.

I loved the lobby atmosphere here and I ended up spending a whole day at the resort and loved all the happenings in the lobby. I would definitely pick a monorail resort over AKL but I did enjoy it and would stay again.

Don’t you just hate when you order something that isn’t very good, so frustrating
Can you believe we have never tried Earl of Sandwich!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter