The Snarkiest Safari That Ever Sailed! An October 2018, Food & Wine Trip! Complete 4/26/19!!

I'm sorry you had a disappointing day. I think that resorts are like people: they have personalities. Some mesh really well and others don't. I have no desire to stay at The Contemporary because it feels cold and bland to me. Others love it. We didn't love The Boardwalk either even though it was quite beautiful and charming. It's okay that you don't love AKL. You don't need to feel guilty for that.

Sorry you didn’t like AKL, I have really loved our 2 stays here.

I feel bad even saying it! It's not a bad place at all, it just wasn't my cup of tea.

Don’t you just hate when you order something that isn’t very good, so frustrating
Can you believe we have never tried Earl of Sandwich!

I have to fully take the blame on this one. When (IF) I ever go back, carbs be damned, I'll just order a sandwich ::yes::

I'm sorry you had a disappointing day. I think that resorts are like people: they have personalities. Some mesh really well and others don't. I have no desire to stay at The Contemporary because it feels cold and bland to me. Others love it. We didn't love The Boardwalk either even though it was quite beautiful and charming. It's okay that you don't love AKL. You don't need to feel guilty for that.

Thanks!

And see, I LOVE The Contemporary :love: I could stay there all day, every day. That's why I bought my first DVC contract at BLT. And yet, yes, there are many people who don't like it at all. I'm actually fine with that, more rooms for me ::yes::

I'm all caught up! I am always surprised/excited when I see posts about the glass blowing and flameworking at Disney. I work at the Corning Museum of Glass - you may remember @pkondz came to visit me back in September :hyper: - and it's so neat for me to see when other people enjoy it!

Bummer about your intro to AKL being a bit of a disappointment. But that just goes to show that there are so many parts of Disney that appeal to a variety of interests - and that's one of the things that makes it great, no matter what, you can find your niche... and we know it's the Poly! :laughing: ;)

Oooh, can't wait to hear about the snarkiest safari! :thumbsup2

Oh my goodness, that soup looks terrible! Dare I ask, what are the chunks in it? Sorry to hear about your disappointing day but at least you've tried AKL and know it doesn't fit your needs!

Well, rats. What a bummer that you didn't love AKL. We have only stayed at POFQ and Pop, so I have no experience to draw from, but I do get what you mean about always hearing it is people's favorite resort! So, to have it not live up to the hype, must have been disappointing :(

Aww Kelly, so sorry you didn't like AKL. I've only stayed there once and I think it was back in 2008 or so...
Yep, that tomato soup looks disgusting. I wouldn't eat it either.

I feel like its hard when you go from a resort you love to one that you're unsure of! I feel like its easier to go the other way haha I've only ever stayed at Kidani with savanna view and to me the savanna view was worth it (but like the main savanna not the random other one they have!) I feel like seeing the pool under construction couldn't have helped either! But I did think the rooms were super far from the lobby, we thankfully had a car but without one I would be miserable making that walk in Disney!!

I guess now you know you don't like it and can try a different resort next time!!

I wanted to love AKL, I really, really did.

Sorry to hear that.

I just felt very underwhelmed by AKL. There. I said it. And I'm sorry if I offend anyone by my statement. That's not to say that I think AKL is trash, it's just not for us. And yes, us. Mike felt very much the same way.

Too bad, but...

I think it was even more disappointing having just come from the Poly which we LOVE :love:.

… I can certainly see that.

Location-not as good. Where's the monorail? Where are my fireworks from the beach?

Yup. That's why I personally don't think I'll ever stay there. So far from... everything.

Quick service-not as good. The Mara is basically hidden down in a dungeon and took forever to get to.

I've been there for zebra domes. I was surprised at how out of the way it was.

a view of the pool under refurbishment.

Not the best view. :(

And it took forever to get to from the lobby.

I've heard that too.
I pay extra to not walk far.

enhance

Room looks nice, though.

On our way out, we stopped and took some pics from one of the lookout areas in the back.

Then again... not many hotels you can see wildebeest and giraffes.

Sadly, checking into the AKL was not the most disappointing thing that happened to me this day.

Uh, oh...

we decided to eat at Earl of Sandwich.

This is on my to do list. I've never been.

Totally my mistake and I should have known better than to not order a sandwich at a place that specializes in sandwiches.

Yup.
I've always said "Don't order seafood at a steak place."

Behold, gross Tomato Soup and an even more disgusting Greek Salad.

ew.

pretty

I promise the next day was much better

phew! Good!

Yes, I too am sorry you didn't like AKL and I agree with everyone that some resorts just aren't for some people. I love it, think it's gorgeous and relaxing. We had a beautiful pool view room the first time we stayed and then a parking lot view lol, but overall I love being there. I love Sanaa for breakfast and the gift shop I think is one of the best. Steve on the other hand is fine if we never stay there again, as he wasn't thrilled with the Mara and is one of those that feels it's way too far from most of the parks. It's hard when we compare each resort to our favorite! When we were at the GF in Sept. and got upgraded to that amazing Roy Disney suite, we had dinner at Artist Point (RIP Artist Point). As awesome and wonderful and gorgeous as the suite AND the GF were and is, when I walked into WL, which you know is my favorite, I took a deep breath and thought, "Ah, and I'm home" :love:
The cool part is you can say you've stayed there, and now you know you don't have to book it again lol!

I am always surprised/excited when I see posts about the glass blowing and flameworking at Disney. I work at the Corning Museum of Glass - you may remember @pkondz came to visit me back in September :hyper: - and it's so neat for me to see when other people enjoy it!

Have you watched the glass blowers on Main Street? How do they compare to the "real thing?"

Bummer about your intro to AKL being a bit of a disappointment. But that just goes to show that there are so many parts of Disney that appeal to a variety of interests - and that's one of the things that makes it great, no matter what, you can find your niche...

This, exactly! :thumbsup2 I just feel bad saying I don't like something that I know so many people love. I don't want to insult anyone :goodvibes

Oh my goodness, that soup looks terrible! Dare I ask, what are the chunks in it?

It was super gross :crazy2: I think they were very soggy croutons…not that I tried them or anything :scared:

I do get what you mean about always hearing it is people's favorite resort! So, to have it not live up to the hype, must have been disappointing :(

I get it, there's a reason there are so many resorts to choose from. I am a big BLT/CR fan and there are many people who just don't like it.

Yep, that tomato soup looks disgusting. I wouldn't eat it either.

The worst :crazy2: I don't know how they can even screw up tomato soup :confused3

I feel like its easier to go the other way haha

That would have been SO MUCH better :thumbsup2

I guess now you know you don't like it and can try a different resort next time!!

Or I'll just stick to what I already know and love :rotfl:

That's why I personally don't think I'll ever stay there. So far from... everything.

Exactly:sad2:

I've been there for zebra domes.

Maybe I should have tried those. Might have improved my stay :goodvibes

Room looks nice, though.

It was…fine. Fairly standard DVC ::yes::

Then again... not many hotels you can see wildebeest and giraffes.

This is true. That was kind of fun to see :thumbsup2

This is on my to do list. I've never been.

Just stick to the sandwiches :laughing:

Yup.
I've always said "Don't order seafood at a steak place."

Good advice. Where were you in October??

I love Sanaa for breakfast

We actually had a dinner ADR at Sanaa and cancelled it. We just didn't feel like spending anymore time at this resort than necessary :laughing:

the gift shop I think is one of the best.

We actually did buy cute little plants in the gift shop. Mike ended up lugging them home on the train. I'll post a pic here after.

When we were at the GF in Sept. and got upgraded to that amazing Roy Disney suite, we had dinner at Artist Point (RIP Artist Point). As awesome and wonderful and gorgeous as the suite AND the GF were and is, when I walked into WL, which you know is my favorite, I took a deep breath and thought, "Ah, and I'm home" :love:

Well, you KNOW it's love when you actually prefer it to the Roy Suite :P

The cool part is you can say you've stayed there, and now you know you don't have to book it again lol!

Exactly. But of course, if AKL was the only place available or all I had points for, I would stay again in a second. I couldn't be disappointed a second time, could I?

Just a quick, positive note:
@ariane37 reminded me that not everything about the AKL was terrible.
We picked up these cute little plants in the gift shop and Mike lugged them home on the train.
enhance

They are super cute, and not the sort of thing I would buy when I fly because carrying them on a plane
would be a pain in the neck.

I haven't really seen these at any other gift shops, so this is definitely a point in favor of AKL :D

Maybe I should have tried those. Might have improved my stay :goodvibes

::yes::

This is true. That was kind of fun to see :thumbsup2

::yes::

Just stick to the sandwiches :laughing:

That's for sure!

Good advice. Where were you in October??

Probably in my car driving in the middle of nowhere.

not everything about the AKL was terrible.
We picked up these cute little plants in the gift shop and Mike lugged them home on the train.

enhance

I like those! And no... not great for on a plane.

October 22, 2018
The Snarkiest Safari

This was one of my favorite days from this whole trip. It was practically perfect in every way :goodvibes

We headed back to Animal Kingdom and leisurely made our way in, heading to our first FP in Africa.
enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

And this, my friends, is where we boarded the truck with the snarkiest safari driver we've ever had.
Admittedly, in the past, I have gotten a little bored with the safari. I think I even said that last year because they took out the little show about Little Red and have made it more serious and about conservation.
Not that I am against conservation, I just liked when this was more like a fun ride.

Well this particular morning our driver was a riot! He was more like a Jungle Cruise driver and had everyone on the truck laughing. We were in the front row next to two, very muscular guys and he was even teasing them, saying they'll have to get out and push us if we get stuck. I wish I had recorded it because I can't remember half of what he was saying, and I'm sure most of it was lost on the kids in the truck, but all of the adults were in stitches.

enhance

The animals were also very active this morning, making it for just a perfect ride all-around.

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

He has renewed my faith in KS and I hope to one day get on his truck again…what are the chances??

After that fun ride, we headed to Asia where I got my picture taken with…my lanyard.

enhance

I rode EE, and Mike…did not.

enhance

We then headed to Pandora,

enhance

where I rode FOP, and Mike…did not.

enhance

We grabbed a little snack,
enhance

and then headed out of the park.

We still needed to get in a couple more EPCOT trips for our APH cutting boards, so that's where we headed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter