The THYROID Thread

Looking for guidance/advice. My son just got labs back and TSH is 6.7 Is this that bad a result with normal being 5? PCP said she’d order antibody test and start him on thyroid med. is it ok to have this treated by pcp or do we need endocrinologist? Son is 20 and has been tired for years. Last TSH a few years ago was 2.

Based on my experience, that’s not terrible/awfully high. It must also be looked at in conjunction with the other thyroid hormones, and other lab tests. Good that they’re checking antibodies. Has he had an ultrasound?

If your PCP is knowledgeable, they’re definitely able to manage this for you, without an endocrinologist. If you don’t think they’re up to speed, an Endo may bw useful, but finding a good doctor is trial-and-error. 👍🏻

thank you for your help.

QUOTE="squeegee, post: 61842395, member: 397314"]
Based on my experience, that’s not terrible/awfully high. It must also be looked at in conjunction with the other thyroid hormones, and other lab tests. Good that they’re checking antibodies. Has he had an ultrasound?

If your PCP is knowledgeable, they’re definitely able to manage this for you, without an endocrinologist. If you don’t think they’re up to speed, an Endo may bw useful, but finding a good doctor is trial-and-error. 👍🏻
[/QUOTE]

Hello everyone. I can't believe I haven't looked at this thread is SO long. I guess because I was teleworking so much that when I'm done, I can't bear being on so much. I usually make a few posts on the community board and then I am done. @luvmarypoppins OMG! I'm so sorry you had to go through that and glad you made it. My coworker had this and survived also. Turns out she has some genetic issue that causes it. Both her father and brother died of this. She was in the hospital visiting her brother when she collapsed and got diagnosed with the same thing.

Just to address past posts:

I take brand name Levoxyl and have for years. I don't know why but I like it better than Synthroid. My TSH seems even more stable where with Synthroid, I tend to get too hyper and can't control it much with dose changes.

To @andersonsc, hope your son is doing okay. A TSH of 6.7 is definitely too high to be living life with (although you can). For a non-thyroid cancer person, one should aim for a 1-2 TSH level.

I've been home since March 17th. I don't do much but go to grocery stores (probably too much). For the first 6 weeks I was home, I just ate what I wanted and my weight started creeping up again (fast) so I'm back on a better plan of eating and it's nice that I've lost a few pounds. Feeling better already; although eating was the highlight of my day and I don't have that anymore. :o Weather around here is still funky. Mostly cold and rainy. I can't wait to get some HEAT!!!

My parents are down in Florida in their home at The Villages. They left right after Christmas and they generally stay through early May. They are holding off coming back because there's nothing to do here in Virginia. They have a TAD bit more freedom in Florida and the weather is better. Their restaurants are open but my parents won't go. It's kind of ridiculous anyway, my mother says. Low capacity, paper and plastic everything, masks. How do you eat a steak with a plastic knife and fork! My mom's bummed because Sweet Tomatoes is never going to reopen. It's one of her favorite places there.

Oh well, everyone enjoy the weekend and have a happy Mother's Day.

Checking in. Welcome to all the new posters
Squeegee - Sorry to hear you are dealing with these health issues
Christine - good to see you post!!
We haven't heard from @SingingMom
I had a terrible reaction to that antibiotic and was practically paralyzed for 3 days. Ds said go to the hospital. I refused.
We are locked down until at least June 6. Dh does our shopping. Getting takeout next week for my bday and our anniversary.
Went for blood tests at 6:30 am. I was the only one there then 3 people came in.
Mon. I am having phone visit with endo. They insisted with no sono, gheesh.
Had phone visit with pcp. My liver and kidney are back to normal.
I don't do the video phone just talk.
June 9 I am finally getting the neck sono and then aorta cts. They said I am suppose to be the 1st in the machine for the day.
Ds3 was doing covid patients. Very hard and emotional. He is doing surgical ICU now.
We know 4 people who have died. Saddest being our church secretary's husband. Such a great guy!
Be safe everyone.

I use the name brand. My insurance only pays for the generic. With thyroid cancer I don't want generics because you don't know what fillers are in them.
My insurance changed to "generic" and my doctor personally notified them that it was unacceptable. (been on Synthroid for almost 30 years!) They revised their ruling.

Checking in. Welcome to all the new posters
Squeegee - Sorry to hear you are dealing with these health issues
Christine - good to see you post!!
We haven't heard from @SingingMom
I had a terrible reaction to that antibiotic and was practically paralyzed for 3 days. Ds said go to the hospital. I refused.
We are locked down until at least June 6. Dh does our shopping. Getting takeout next week for my bday and our anniversary.
Went for blood tests at 6:30 am. I was the only one there then 3 people came in.
Mon. I am having phone visit with endo. They insisted with no sono, gheesh.
Had phone visit with pcp. My liver and kidney are back to normal.
I don't do the video phone just talk.
June 9 I am finally getting the neck sono and then aorta cts. They said I am suppose to be the 1st in the machine for the day.
Ds3 was doing covid patients. Very hard and emotional. He is doing surgical ICU now.
We know 4 people who have died. Saddest being our church secretary's husband. Such a great guy!
Be safe everyone.
I'm here! lol I haven't been on the DIS because we are living it. DD was furloughed April 19. After her being alone for over a month, DH and I flew down to check on her. Try telling this Mama Bear she couldn't go to Florida from NY/NJ/CT. I would have given Gov. DeSantis a piece of my mind.. :cutie:

DH stayed a week, I stayed an extra week and DD & pup returned with me. She'll probably stay another week before heading back to Florida. Thank God she has the pup. I'll probably go back when she is called back to work because the dog will have a hard time adjusting!

We have looked at some Del Webb communities and 4Seasons communities. Think we like the one in Tampa area the best. Need to get busy to sell this house and fly south!

I had my phone visit with the endo today. She said my tsh went from .1 up.to .6 and of course with thyroid cancer thats a big no no. So instead of an extra 50Mci I take on Sunday she now wants me to take an extra 150Mci and then have a blood test recheck in a month and she will have another phone visit with me. They only give her a 2 week schedule right now. Told her the vitamin d test was not ordered.
She of course wanted to know about the surgery.
Also I told her to please call after the sono.
All this medical stuff right now makes my head spin.

Celebrating National Cancer Survivor Day today!!!
It was definitely different celebrating my birthday and our anniversary this year. Nothing says romance like ds3 sitting at the table with you while blasting the tv.
Tuesday is my neck sonogram and aortic ct's.
The endo still hasn't sent my blood test script.Sigh. I am beginning to lose a little confidence in her. I will call I suppose to follow up with the office especially if she doesn't call with the sono results.

Well here are my updates. My testing was a nightmare. Sitting with a beeper in a hot van for 1 1/2 hours. Dh went in 3 times. Last time he said he wasn't leaving until they called me. They said they mixed up my testing schedule. Neck sono girl was young and unfriendly. Never going to this location again.
Endo's nurse called. Said sono looked good. Told her I never got the blood test script. Said she would mail it. Nothing, sigh. Calling again tomorrow
Saw surgeon tiday. They let dh come in with me hooray! Good and bad. One thing has healed but now I know why I am having stabbing pain in my back. My scoliosis is so bad it's pressing the aorta and graft right up against my ribs and it's causing a pool of blood behind my aorta. That is very bad.
We will do a ct in sept. And maybe surgery in Oct. Yup perfect timing because my dh is suppose to go to Germany in Oct.
Now I need to call Pcp for a follow up. Surgeon says I need to ask her for a prescription pain killer.
I am getting weary of all this medical stuff. At least he was willing to wait until after the wedding unless it turns into an emergency and I am basically not suppose to bend, stretch etc, so basically veg out lol.

I got my blood tests last week. Haven't heard from the endo yet. This Quest lab is the biggest one around here and they had 4 or 5 chairs out. The other 25 were stacked up and roped off.
Aug. 1st is dil bridal shower. I am just so done with this already. 85 people are invited:scared1:. The mom has 2 back up plans besides this restraunt. She showed me the list. My son didn't really tell me who was invited. He actually made me uninvite people to the wedding. I know 3 people invited not including other dil who is corona virus crazy and probably won't go. I told mil I will try and go and stay until I can't take the pain anymore.
Dil finally got called back to work. Future dil not until oct.
Have a great holiday and check in when you can.

Hello everyone. It's been awhile (again). Life is so boring, I just don't have much to say.

Still teleworking. My area has been pretty good with the virus, but numbers are ticking up again so I think I know what we are in for. Another rollback, I'm sure.

My parents got out of Florida back in late May some time and I think they are glad to be out of that hot mess. Not sure when/if they will return.

I spent the last few months catching up on my routine medical appointments. Dentist, GYN, mammogram and all is well. I don't have anything to do until September when I have my 6 month checkup with the endo.

I've been doing very well with my eating (after the first 6 weeks at home of eating what I want) and have managed to drop about 15 lbs. It feels good. I do miss just eating whatever, but eating right is probably very important now so I'm going to try to stick with it. I don't do much exercise AT ALL due to my ankle issue so that's a drag. I really can't even walk the dog.

Otherwise, just trying to stay safe. I probably go out to too many grocery stores but I'm all the time needing fresh fruit/produce. Thought about making a quick beach trip but then put that aside: too much money and nothing to do while there! I'll just save up for WDW and have a great trip again ONE DAY!

Stay well everyone!

Just checking in. The days blur into each other lol.

I had ds print out my lab results. I misunderstood the endo. My tsh did not go up to .6. It was 6.1 :scared1: :scared1: The added 150Mci pill on Sundays has brought it down alot.
Dil bridal shower is Saturday at a restaurant. I am masking up. The wedding situation is fluid. They are going to Niagara Falls for the honeymoon.
Ds2 wife and now ds are corona crazy. Of course she is not going to the shower.
Ds3 is at the beach alot. He has been assigned to the Covid floor alot. There are only 8 patients and he has been getting the non vent ones.
Now they are sending dh project to Virginia. He is not included. Praying he can get with another department because we really need the health insurance.
4 houses sold on our street recently so we will see some new faces.
Going to the pcp for a check up and of Aug.
Hope everyone is doing well.

Well, I guess Italy will have to wait..... Adventures by Disney cancelled our October trip. Truth be told, I'm very relieved. I couldn't possibly imagine touring each day with a mask on. Luckily, we will receive 100% refund on trip and flights.

Heading to Florida next week to celebrate DD's birthday. We're taking her to Clearwater Beach for a few days. She's been working as a trainer at Three Caballero's in EPCOT Mexico. Very uncomfortable to work with mask and face shield.

We've had all three weddings we were invited to this year put on hold. Two are rescheduled for next year, one couple got married with immediate family at church & was supposed to have reception this weekend in Baltimore, but had to cancel.

My mom is in rehab due to leg problems and she's a very difficult patient. DH has a pinched nerve in his back and is in agony. Last year was so hard for us - we were hoping 2020 would have been more pleasant. NOPE.

Stay well!

singing mom - I hope you have a great time with your dd celebrating her birthday.

I survived the bridal shower. Glad dh was with me. We were one of the few with masks on. About 60 of us squished in a room. The food was served Italian style on big platters you passed around. Everyone had to share the same serving spoon and you had to break off your own bread. Not happy with that. They did manage to take a picture with us. I took off the mask and held my breath.

Its 22 days and only 50 people allowed. They were offered a December date or postpone to next year with huge price increase.

Ds3 was tested for covid. He was assigned there alot. PTL it was negative.

My cousin and grandkids are going to Polynesian end of the month.

Went to church. Only like 66 instead of regular 180. I felt safe there. Temp check, mandatory mask and socially distanced rows.

The storm was bad in some places here. ds 2 and dil had no power for 6 days.

I was diagnosed hypothyroid this week. It came as a surprise to me as I was thinking I was dealing with a liver or gallbladder issue. I started on Levothyroxine on Wednesday. My TSH is 8.22 up from 4.02 11 months earlier.

How long did it take to get your dosage right?

I had Hashimoto's, and wound up getting my thyroid removed. It's taken two years to get my dosage right, and it's still not perfect, but close enough. I need to be at 167.5 MCG of Levothyroxine per day, but they don't make that pill size. So I skip a day every two weeks, and that levels it out. The other option is to take 175 MCG one day, and 150 MCG the next, but my insurance balked at that prescription. Liothyronine makes me incredibly shaky and paranoid, so I can't take that.

I was diagnosed hypothyroid this week. It came as a surprise to me as I was thinking I was dealing with a liver or gallbladder issue. I started on Levothyroxine on Wednesday. My TSH is 8.22 up from 4.02 11 months earlier.

How long did it take to get your dosage right?
It took about 6-7 months from the time I was diagnosed. I would go back to my endo every 6 weeks to reevaluate. I love my endo! He looks at the data, but also listens to me. Good luck DisneyChrista getting the right dosage and feeling better soon!

It's Thyroid Cancer Awareness Month
Hope everyone is doing well.
Went to my pcp. Got a script for a pain killer for the graft issues. I had to sign papers and pass a drug swab test, gheesh. Also need blood tests, mammo and she wants me to do that cologuard test, gheesh.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!