"The Trip Itself Is Half The Battle" - Prepping for October 2018

Discussion in 'Pre-Trip Reports and Plans' started by B. Shoe, Nov 6, 2017.

1. B. Shoe

B. Shoe Earning My Ears

Welcome to what I hope is a moderately entertaining pre-trip report as I take you through booking, the "big reveal" and our planning leading up to a 4-day, 3-night trip beginning on October 23, 2018!

The Cast of Characters:

Me ::MickeyMo: My friends all call me "Shoe", so I think that will be appropriate for this thread.
    • Last Trip To Disney: 1987. Yes, at age 37, this is my first trip to Disney World in 30+ years. In full disclosure, I remember nothing from the trip other than riding Space Mountain. I fully remember getting a killer earache in the back of a Ford Bronco during our 17-hour drive to Orlando, but the trip evades me.
    • Favorite Disney Movie: The Sword In The Stone.
    • Favorite Sports Team: Pittsburgh Steelers
    • Thing I'm Looking Forward To Most: Happily Ever After, Waking up to see the Magic Kingdom from our hotel room.
    DD ::MinnieMo: The true star of our show is 9-years-old, but will be 10 when we embark on our trip next fall. While I'll make sure everything we do is logistically doable and within our budget, I'll let her take the lead when it comes to making FastPass+ selections, what rides we want to focus on, shows to see, etc.
    • Last Trip To Disney: 2016. She traveled with her mother and grandmother for a 2-day trip. There's still several things she hasn't experienced, so I'm excited to take her for another round!
    • Favorite Disney Characters (in no specific order): Moana, Aurora, Belle, Joy, Cinderella.
    • Favorite Activities: Dancing, Making slime, Reading, Playing with her new puppy.
    The Trip Details
    • When: October 23-26, 2018
    • Where: Contemporary Resort, Theme Park View, with 4-day Park Hopper tickets.
    I debated heavily between the Contemporary and Boardwalk. But I'm banking on the notion that at least two of our nights will end at the Magic Kingdom. And after a long day of touring, I'd rather simply walk 10 minutes back to our room, rather than wait on other transport.

Dining/ADRs: All meals will be paid out of pocket, as no version of the DDP seems to be financially in our favor. While we're still way out of our 180-day window to book any ADRs, my DD has a pretty simple palate and eating habits. So unless something drastic changes, we'll make a minimal amount of ADRs and our meal planning will be focused on simple sustenance and efficiency and less on "experience."
    • All breakfasts will be at Contempo Cafe, where we can quickly grab a breakfast buffet, or simple meal.
    • All lunches will be QS/CS locations that utilize mobile ordering, in hopes of saving ourselves some time of waiting in line.
    All of this, I hope, will save us a few bucks to splurge on a couple of more fun experiences listed below:
    • Fireworks Dessert Party with Plaza Garden Viewing. (Our dinner would be at Tomorrowland Terrace, leading right into this.)
    • Fantasmic! Dining Package, with dinner at Mama Melrose's Ristorante Italiano.
    • Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party, as long as it fits into the plan without too much trouble.
    (If you haven't yet figured out, I've put way too much thought into this, still 350 days out. But here we are...)

Coming Soon...the "Big Reveal"

Now comes the fun part. DD turns 10 in early January. Her birthday party will be January 14, and that's when she'll find out the news. The next part of the story is figuring out how to best surprise her. I am definitely open to ideas or unique ways that anyone else may have surprised their children that I could use!

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
    shannie102 likes this.
  2. Alexsandra

Alexsandra Ready for the next adventure

I'll follow along. I love WDW in October with all the Halloween decorations. We've been twice in the fall. Once with the kids when they were very little and once with my husband two years ago without the children for an anniversary trip. It was a blast. I loved the MNSSHP but I don't think we'll be back. Seen it, done it!
    Your 10 y.o. will love it though.

B. Shoe likes this.
  3. Avatar

Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  4. shannie102

shannie102 Mouseketeer

Following! Did all your splurges this past trip, 1-/14-10/23, and don't regret a single one! Excited for the big surprise!

B. Shoe likes this.
  5. B. Shoe

B. Shoe Earning My Ears

So happy to have you aboard for the ride, shannie102 and Alexsandra! With my schedule of work and community events that I'm involved in, late fall is the most opportune time for us to make the trip. (Thankfully, it appears to be one of the least costly times of the year, also!)

My DD loves Halloween, so I'm happy to spend a little extra on MNSSHP. The F! reservation and the Dessert Party, if anything, is more for me not wanting to feel rushed to find spots for those events towards the end of the day. Hopefully we'll get to spend a little extra time in the parks that way. These are not something I'll likely splurge on again, unless life changes. But this trip is a long time coming for the both of us and I'm trying to cram all the magic into four days that I can.:)

I'm still tossing around some ideas for our "big reveal" at her birthday party. We still have to get through Christmas, first, but I'm sure something great will come to mind to make it extra special!::MickeyMo

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
    Alexsandra likes this.
  6. B. Shoe

B. Shoe Earning My Ears

Happy new year, everyone! It's been a while, but we're anxiously gearing up for the big reveal at her birthday party on Saturday evening! The downtime between updates has been spent working away to save up cash for the trip, and there's just not much else very exciting to report ten months out. Regardless, here's what we've got to help with the big reveal:
    • Disney trading pins: Unbeknownst to me, we'd been collecting Disney pins for the better part of two years! My DD and I regularly watch all of the Disney/Pixar movies in the theater, and they always give us these character pins with our admission! So I picked up a lot from what appears to be reputable seller on eBay, and we can add the ones we've collected from the theater to the pile. And since we have duplicates of the Pixar pins from each of us getting a pin, she'll feel comfortable trading off those pins for some new ones.
    • Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom playing cards: I read about this game through the message board and thought this might be a fun things we can experience at the park beyond waiting in line for rides and shows. I found a complete set of cards 1-60 for sale online and maybe we'll snag a few of the limited edition ones from now to October on eBay.
    • Mouse ears: Self-explanatory.
    • Gift cards: Several of her family members are getting her Disney gift cards to hold onto for souvenirs at the park. And hopefully it'll help her dad save a couple of bucks along the way.
    Am I missing anything else that anyone can think of? I have a vision of this amazing reaction when she figures it all out, but I'm sure it'll be something more realistic like "This is great! Let's go hit the pinata." ::MickeyMo

7. shannie102

shannie102 Mouseketeer

I think that's enough, you hit all the big things. You have to take a photo and post please! And of the ears too, i love ears!!

8. emilyhuff

emilyhuff Mouseketeer

I am just following along today! How did the reveal go!!!