The Trip That Finally Made My Wife Haul Off And Slug Me In The Face (COMPLETED 10/2)

Right. Then you hate them. Ok, strongly disapprove of them.

More like mildly miffed.

Not in my house!

(Please, Lord, not in my house)

Oh boy... just wait......

Yeah, I've read/seen stories about the Sturgis rally before. Made sure it was nowhere near the dates for our midwest trip a couple years ago. I wouldn't want any part of that, either!

Nope nope nopity nope!

Woohoo! Finally, a place with qualifications I can meet!

1. Do you have a pulse?

Ok, great, you're in!

::yes::

Sad news today. We found out that our fellow DIS Dad, CJ, passed away a few days ago. It was unexpected, and I don't know the full story. But he's gone, and there's a palpable loss in the group now. I had really enjoyed getting to know him a bit through the boards and interacting with him, listening to his scuba-diving stories and his irrational fear of bridges and trading good-natured jabs with him. I'm grateful that I got to meet him down in Biscayne National Park last summer. He brought us pie and was as good-natured and kind-hearted a man as you'd ever hope to meet. If there's a father who loved his daughter more and was more proud of her, I haven't met him. Goodbye, CJ. Rest in peace.

ztzOiyBI9Xy8tEXM3BmXUz_lHVlCYsisBFr79FDBs7rCy3WUhftdPGIJtN7bqecmKuBm0Pn73YwqizR7dzJ0U29UjSWRPM3enTIpBdWlgrXEsYccKCifIigK0wqHQ-pCD5kKew4RaTHEXqtUFfXSI9EqsD3Jfq9IcL4RwfcGJ8_z7jRt0QVK2GEJV3VHjW_ZxBXg_NxHGAuDlIAnjpPBQmPTeD12mlvJOI9YJQkOE7tQ_6dEGUTTfhI3SCQ98A96Avp9gK1F0EM6spFhdaUz_Zb8-BIj1C5snjMYJLFKF-4SG1s3g0_36LRqtmQ5lMooS_1KrRxrwoZBx3-Tu5hseOAh81yDr2ZdTjKHSuncyeF1-E5sz5loxDoi-G_tEQ2Bk6LLgWrxsnrsu6LvEpDDsUmkdZrkPJF6Iwqc5iTdtW7b6t3r_DTjANpeNVBK1AEOqfEqx9YLFmXogoxAXFVCUeQMVZaHUfLdWon2agOV91Y9KlAHPDBopWSTBG_jq1wp_yYd5YFwuK3r1IoYD2SDkzh6NJKx8z1_KZruqRHtfXNx7G3pyMRhMqkzeSyu9nqD59SO4s_L8Xd53joXJvJmKvmItuFWy2ECMa-cCmRY=w1023-h768-no

Sad news today. We found out that our fellow DIS Dad, CJ, passed away a few days ago. It was unexpected, and I don't know the full story. But he's gone, and there's a palpable loss in the group now. I had really enjoyed getting to know him a bit through the boards and interacting with him, listening to his scuba-diving stories and his irrational fear of bridges and trading good-natured jabs with him. I'm grateful that I got to meet him down in Biscayne National Park last summer. He brought us pie and was as good-natured and kind-hearted a man as you'd ever hope to meet. If there's a father who loved his daughter more and was more proud of her, I haven't met him. Goodbye, CJ. Rest in peace.
Thanks for the memory, Mark. CJ will surely be missed in our little group.

Nooooooooooo!

He was the coolest guy, and I never got to meet him. Without having ever met him, I totally loved him! I know he had a major illness a few years back and didn't talk about it in detail on the boards, but it was very serious and I always worried about him. We were going to do a Monorail pub crawl someday and now I'll never get the chance to hang out with him. While I love all of you DIS Dads, there was something about him that stood out in the land of "awesome" that I never got to meet. I really feel for his daughter having lost both her parents and being on her own now so young in life. I'm glad he got to see her become a successful shark wrangler. :sad2: I'm crying as I post this.

Nooooooooooo!

He was the coolest guy, and I never got to meet him. Without having ever met him, I totally loved him! I know he had a major illness a few years back and didn't talk about it in detail on the boards, but it was very serious and I always worried about him. We were going to do a Monorail pub crawl someday and now I'll never get the chance to hang out with him. While I love all of you DIS Dads, there was something about him that stood out in the land of "awesome" that I never got to meet. I really feel for his daughter having lost both her parents and being on her own now so young in life. I'm glad he got to see her become a successful shark wrangler. :sad2: I'm crying as I post this.
That's okay...there's been a lot of crying on the disdads board. I don't want to speak for anyone else, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't JUST me. I was looking forward to meeting him in January, but now I can't. :sad:

I am so sad to hear CJ has passed. I loved his tr's and it was very obvious his daughter was his world. My thoughts and prayers go out to her to be so young and to have lost both parents my heart is breaking for her.

So... sudden.
He posts a blurb, like always... then nothing... then we wonder where he is. Now we know.

Oh, man. Is there ever.

Thanks for the memory, Mark. CJ will surely be missed in our little group.

I appreciate you guys chiming in. The place isn't the same without him.

In some ways, the friends on here are closer than the friends "out there".

Certainly, in some ways. I think sometimes whatever you lack in the intimacy of a face-to-face friendship, you can make up for in the lack of judgment an online friendship offers.

Certainly, in some ways. I think sometimes whatever you lack in the intimacy of a face-to-face friendship, you can make up for in the lack of judgment an online friendship offers.

I also find that there is a certain amount of openness when you write that is perhaps less forthcoming orally.

Nooooooooooo!

He was a cool guy, and I feel awful for his daughter as well. Lots of tears were shed last week.

That's okay...there's been a lot of crying on the disdads board. I don't want to speak for anyone else, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't JUST me. I was looking forward to meeting him in January, but now I can't. :sad:

Nope, it wasn't just you.

I am so sad to hear CJ has passed. I loved his tr's and it was very obvious his daughter was his world. My thoughts and prayers go out to her to be so young and to have lost both parents my heart is breaking for her.

Thank you. I have every confidence that his daughter is a strong woman and will do great. But we know it's not easy.

Thanks for posting Mark. You are truly a DISDad among DISDads!

I don't know about that, but I knew some others around here had been touched by CJ even though they are not DISDads. So I wanted to get the word out.

I also find that there is a certain amount of openness when you write that is perhaps less forthcoming orally.

I think that's true, too.

The downfall is that when you do encounter judgment online, it's more harsh. And then people clam up quickly.

I think that's true, too.

The downfall is that when you do encounter judgment online, it's more harsh. And then people clam up quickly.
While true... it seems to be somewhat less here on the DIS... at least in the small corner of it that I tend to be in.

I appreciate you guys chiming in. The place isn't the same without him.
No, it isn't.

Ya know, I am following this thread, you didn't have to talk about me! Sheesh, and here I thought you liked me. Now I know the real reason you didn't stop when you were only a few miles away.

While true... it seems to be somewhat less here on the DIS... at least in the small corner of it that I tend to be in.

I think the DIS is, for the most part, a wonderful place. It's when you venture into the comments section of any other website that it gets ugly fast.

Ya know, I am following this thread, you didn't have to talk about me! Sheesh, and here I thought you liked me. Now I know the real reason you didn't stop when you were only a few miles away.

Just be thankful you avoided all that in-person judgment!:rotfl:

While the boss is away....Lisa catches up on trip reports. I was so far behind that I had to go back and read some of the other updates to refresh my memory. As always, your reports of your family's shenanigans had me laughing out loud, especially the one about the mosquitoes and the Everglades. That's pretty much how they are here in the swampy parts of North Louisiana so I felt every little blood sucking pain you were describing.

Just as I thought you were done with the tales, I saw the Bonus Anniversary posts! Yay! More to read!

I think the DIS is, for the most part, a wonderful place. It's when you venture into the comments section of any other website that it gets ugly fast.

One reason why I don't frequent other sites. Just... who needs that?

Time to catch up on a few things...

It's looking like next summer, say late July.

The current plan (subject to change, of course) would call for us to fly into Seattle and then immediately drive up to the Port Angeles area. Spend the night, then be ready to attack Olympic starting with Hurricane Ridge first thing in the morning. We'd be going counter-clockwise.
Thought one: late July might be a good time to consider the Star Gazing that should be going on at the top of the ridge the evening you arrive.

Thought two: there are three basic ways of getting up to Port Angeles from SeaTac.
A: Via Tacoma Narrows Bridge. Google will tell you this is the “quickest” route but the locals call it “the long way”. The upsides are that while you will go about forty miles out of your way, you don’t have to catch one of the ferries or pay any tolls (since the toll is only collected east-bound).

B & C: involve catching a ferry. This would be an experience that is “iconic-ly” related to the Puget Sound area, but it will cost you about $35 (16.60 for the driver and the van, 8.20 for second adult, 4.10 each for young’ens under 18 and zero for young’ens under 6). If you choose to do this, either the Bainbridge or Kingston ferries will work and they both have pros and cons. If there is no construction or severe rush hour traffic on I-5, I’d drive north to Edmonds and catch that one over to Kingston. It’s a more direct route to the upper part of the peninsula. The main ferry from downtown over to Bainbridge Island will work as well, but you’d have to deal with driving in downtown Seattle and the denser commuter traffic on that route.

Don’t know exactly when you’ll be landing out there, but here’s a few notions on either lunch or dinner… If traveling via the Edmonds-Kingston ferry and you’re looking for a local establishment that is right cheap, there’s “Dick’s Drive-in”; local chain that is a late-night legend in the area with a limited menu. There is one located a short detour away from the Edmonds Ferry terminal on SR-99. If you travel via either of the ferries, you’ll basically have to drive through (or very near) Port Gamble where you’ll find “Butcher & Baker Provisions”. That one is rather more expensive but we enjoyed it mightily (do check the menu though to make sure it’s not too far off in left field for y’all). In Port Angeles proper we also hit a place called Downriggers. It’s smack downtown, overlooking the water, right beside the Waterfront Park and had a broad menu with lots of burgers in particular (and there are a lot of other local eateries to choose from in that general area)

Another (very likely) useless notion… if for some reason you have a gracious amount of time to travel that day, and… happen to be headed up toward the Edmonds-Kingston ferry… You could go a bit farther north to the Paine Field area and take in either the “Future of Flight Aviation Center” (which is basically the Boeing Factory Tour) or the “Flying Heritage & Combat Armor Museum” (which is basically Paul Allen’s private collection built from his Microsoft bucks but open to the public).

Yes, definitely. At least one full day, maybe a day-and-a-half.
You probably already have an idea of what y’all want to do for the day you spend in Seattle so it might be best to just let you do what catches you fancy. If you tell me what you’ve currently got in mind I can kibitz a bit and offer up any cautions or caveats that I’ve learned over time. One thing I will say though is that if you are thinking about spending any time at all in the Pike Place Market, I can send you an excellent map and listing of where to find the best food without getting lost in all the madness.

Also on the agenda! So, yes--hit me with whatever you got.
As an expert explorer of National Parks, I’m sure you’ve got this figured out already as well.
That said, I’d approach Rainer from the Nisqually entrance, hit it as early as possible and try to travel the whole “Road to Paradise” from Ashford around to Packwood. Longmire Museum & Trail of the Shadows, Narada Falls, Glacier Vista, Reflection Lakes and Grove of the Patriarchs would be the point’s I’d try to catch along the way (but like I said, you probably already got that figured).

For a driving adventure, you can get from Packwood back to Ashford via the Skate Creek Rd (NF-52).

Another thought while you’re out that way (that unfortunately takes time and money) would be the Mt. Rainier Railroad and Logging Museum in Elbe.

Holy cow. How does that even happen? It's not like BWI is a huge destination.
But it is a major destination for Southwest Airlines.
A lack of competition has an outsized effect on things. Southwest only has a hand full of flights in and out of CLT, so American (who uses it as a hub and controls 85% of the gates) can charge what they please.

See? Things are never so bad that they couldn't get worse.
Story of my life…

A/C is a wonderful, wonderful invention.
And a necessary one in some places…
Like here…
So much so that I just dropped over a grand replacing the system in one of our cars.
(it was better that buying a new car, at least)

We've reached that point in life where the kids eat more than we do at every meal. It's scary.
Well there is that, but this time I was on about potential variety.
With my young’en back in school now, our cuisine options have expanded by an order of magnitude.

We go because a) we know there will probably be a Walmart, and b) we can get supplies cheaply.
And you should.
I don’t try to stop folks from going to “The Wall”; I just detest their management and destructive practices on principal. That said, there are times when it is either the best or only option, so I’m not hypocritical about refusing to patronize them under all circumstances.

Just as many circumstances as I can get away with…

I haven't stayed at a Motel 6 since I was a kid. Haven't really tried, either. I wonder if the light is still on.
If not, I’m sure the folks in the rooms on either side of you won’t mind if you read by the light of their bon fires they got going in the parking lot (so long as you prove that you ain’t under cover or any kind of government employee).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter