The Troubled History of Hong Kong Disneyland

I was there a few months after it opened. It was extremely disappointing. It's getting better though and today I would be happy to spend a vacation in HKDL
Yeah the first few years after opening were a disaster, but nowadays the resort is really strong and in a few years will be up there with the best if all the expansions go well. It may become the perfect park for a first time Disney go'er as it's so accessible to do everything on offer in a day.

I remember visiting it the week it opened! Bought a day ticket here in the U.K. and travelled to Sunny Bay. The Mickey train was lovely - so clean and air conditioning cool after the heat of the city.

There were hardly any people but can’t remember ANY of the rides - just the Dim sum and mango pudding we had for lunch.

Actually planning to go next yr so will be interesting to see how the park has expanded. This time though will have my DD (who will be 9.5). Really want her to experience other cultures and if there’s a Disney park there too - result!!

After a few months of research and effort our Doumentary about the rough start of the Hong Kong Disneyland Resort is online! Would love if you guys could give us some feedback as we haven't tackled something like this before!

Interesting documentary! We lived in China for a year and almost didn't get a chance to stop by - I was so glad we did! We didn't realize what a rocky start the park had! We really loved it and had a wonderful time - I would go back in a servings. The service was exactly what you would expect, absolutely fantastic.

If I remember correctly, the opening day attractions was:

Disneyland Railroad

Jungle Cruise
Tarzan Treehouse
Festival of the Lion King

Pooh
Carousel
Dumbo
Tea Cup
Philharmagic

Space Mountain
Buzz Lightyear
Orbitron

Star Tours, Autopia and It's a Small World opened soon after.

Even though ticket price was the cheapest out of all Disney Parks, price per ride was actually the most expensive. Queue for Pooh was 2-3 hours because it's the only Fantasyland dark ride.

Last edited:
Great video!

I've been to Disneyland in California and Disney world in Orlando more than 10 times....love it!

I am super excited to visit Hong Kong Disneyland in 2 months!
I am sure we will love it just as much!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!