The ultimate split-stay thread

A phone CM just told my friend that Disney will provide a courtesy van to transfer you and your luggage to a second resort for a split stay. I’ve done many split stays and never heard of this. It’s not true, right?
I have never heard of this either, nor was I offered it for a split stay.

Everything I have ever heard is that Disney just treats it as two separate reservations and besides transferring luggage you are pretty much on your own lol

I have never heard of this either, nor was I offered it for a split stay.

Everything I have ever heard is that Disney just treats it as two separate reservations and besides transferring luggage you are pretty much on your own lol

I totally agree with you. I think this phone cm is just plain wrong.

Is it possible to plan a split stay in the same resort with the first night as a separate reservation with no park tickets or dining plan? (Having the extra day on the deluxe dining plan will be a lot of meals for us, so booking the first night a separate reservation will reduce the number of meals)

How early can we check out/check in? I assume that we cannot use our dining plan until we have checked in for our second reservation.

Thanks

Planning a split stay. Staying 5 nights at nondisney hotel then staying 2 nights at a Disney hotel.

I know I will be getting magic bands in the mail for the 2 days I stay at the Disney hotel, but can I still use my magic band at the Disney parks during the 5 days I’m staying at the nondisney hotel as long as I link a card to my band?

Advice please! First timer to WDW but I am a huge planner and researcher. I generally book all of our holidays piece by piece myself, so I’m no stranger to planning to make things work.

We will be renting DVC for our Nov 2019 vacation. We agreed to do at least a two resort split-stay but we are now considering a three resort stay. Is that mad?

I’ve read we can check-in online, and we tend to live out of our suitcases on holiday anyway. We were originally considering a split-stay between AKL and one of the monorail resorts (either Poly or GF) though we were not decided on which way round to do them. I’ve drafted a rough itinerary with restaurants and parks, and it became obvious that along with a good amount of resort time, we’d like to stay for longer (originally we were looking at 5 at AKL and 4 nights at the monorail). We are now considering keeping the 5 at AKL, reducing monorail to 3, and adding 3 at Boardwalk. Mostly because we want to enjoy the Epcot and Boardwalk areas. We are real foodies.

We are not likely booking dining plans as looking at how we eat, we are better off out of pocket.

So, to my questions:
1) Are we mad as first timers to split three-ways?
2) we are also going to stay three nights at Universal as we are huge HP fans (are three nights enough?!) but should we stick our US stint in the middle so we have sandwiched Disney either side and therefore can make use of Magic Express both ends, or just leave it at the end and book transport to get to the airport from US?

So excited! I’ve become Disney obsessed.

Thanks in advance.

i've done split stays and i'm not opposed to them but i think that is too much, especially for a first timer. you're not giving yourself any time to really enjoy either of the 2nd or 3rd resorts. And there is some amount of disruption on the transfer days regardless of how much you do to minimize it. i'd rather see a first-timer spending time in the parks and enjoying their resort rather than coordinating pick ups and drop offs with bell services.

Planning a split stay. Staying 5 nights at nondisney hotel then staying 2 nights at a Disney hotel.

I know I will be getting magic bands in the mail for the 2 days I stay at the Disney hotel, but can I still use my magic band at the Disney parks during the 5 days I’m staying at the nondisney hotel as long as I link a card to my band?
You can use the MBs for park entrance and FPs as long as you have tickets linked in your MDE account. You will not be able to use the MBs for room charges until you check into your Disney hotel.

Is it possible to plan a split stay in the same resort with the first night as a separate reservation with no park tickets or dining plan? (Having the extra day on the deluxe dining plan will be a lot of meals for us, so booking the first night a separate reservation will reduce the number of meals)

How early can we check out/check in? I assume that we cannot use our dining plan until we have checked in for our second reservation.

Thanks
Yes, you can but you may need to change rooms if you do. Check in time starts at 6:00 AM (rooms may not be ready until 3 PM or later). Check out is by 11:00 AM but you can check out of your room at any time.

Advice please! First timer to WDW but I am a huge planner and researcher. I generally book all of our holidays piece by piece myself, so I’m no stranger to planning to make things work.

We will be renting DVC for our Nov 2019 vacation. We agreed to do at least a two resort split-stay but we are now considering a three resort stay. Is that mad?

I’ve read we can check-in online, and we tend to live out of our suitcases on holiday anyway. We were originally considering a split-stay between AKL and one of the monorail resorts (either Poly or GF) though we were not decided on which way round to do them. I’ve drafted a rough itinerary with restaurants and parks, and it became obvious that along with a good amount of resort time, we’d like to stay for longer (originally we were looking at 5 at AKL and 4 nights at the monorail). We are now considering keeping the 5 at AKL, reducing monorail to 3, and adding 3 at Boardwalk. Mostly because we want to enjoy the Epcot and Boardwalk areas. We are real foodies.

We are not likely booking dining plans as looking at how we eat, we are better off out of pocket.

So, to my questions:
2) we are also going to stay three nights at Universal as we are huge HP fans (are three nights enough?!) but should we stick our US stint in the middle so we have sandwiched Disney either side and therefore can make use of Magic Express both ends, or just leave it at the end and book transport to get to the airport from US?

Thanks in advance.
That's so exciting!!! Yes, nothing like planning a Disney trip.. so fun!

So I just got back from our first time at Universal and yes, I think three nights is perfect. As for which way you want to do it, I think that's up to you. We took an Uber from our Universal hotel to the airport and it was very easy and affordable, so I wouldn't worry too much about Magical Express if you would rather not leave the Disney bubble! If it were me, I would probably start my trip with US and end with Disney, but that's just because I like to end with the "warm and fuzzy" feeling that Disney gives me. Universal was AWESOME... you will love the HP areas and I thought the rides were more fun in general, but Disney has that special something... anyway, no matter which way you do it you will enjoy!!

As for a three way split, plus a US (so 4 hotels total??) I don't think you are crazy, especially since you are doing at least 3 at each resort. I didn't see who you are traveling with... if its just 2 adults its very easy. With little kids it might be more difficult if you have that much more stuff to unpack, set up, etc. But yeah as long as you are doing at least 3 nights, you should be fine! Disney makes it REALLY easy to transfer resorts so as long as you don't mind losing a little time in the packing/unpacking, why not see 3 resorts? All three areas you mentioned are AMAZING.. that would be my dream split! I say go for it!

So, to my questions:

Thanks in advance.
No you are not mad LOL!
Keep in mind that transportation is very easy to two or 3 of the 4 parks with the epcot and monorail resorts. AKL will take a while to get to any park (well except Animal kingdom as that is a short bus ride).
Personally I'd shorten the AKL stay to 3 days and lengthen the monorail and Epcot stays if able
example-monorail 4 days, 3 days AKL, 3 days Boardwalk. The break in the middle to allow some down time after what may be a commando first 4 days.
Then move offsite to Universal-the Universal deluxe and moderate hotels are sooooo nice that you will also be wanting to spend some down time in those resorts. I personally wouldn't sandwich Universal in between Disney stays as that is a much more time consuming endeavor. You will also be able to choose when you leave for airport vs stuck with ME schedule. Also moving between Disney resorts is easy (just drop luggage with bell services on day of checkout to move to next Disney resort).

Our upcoming trip we are doing a 3 way split: 5 days at cabin at Fort Wilderness, weekend at Cocoa beach, then week at our Marriott timeshare resort. We will have a car so moving is easy. I've only stayed at one resort for entire trip if trip is 5 days or less LOL!

So, to my questions:

Thanks in advance.
  1. Maybe not "mad", but for a first-timer I think it is ill-advised to move about so much.
  2. Either begin or end at USO. Adding it to the middle of a the trip just complicates things even more.
I just want to add that November is during a very busy time for DVC (milder weather, holiday decorations, low point requirements). It can be very competitive for owners who want to book studios for themselves. Do not count on lowest-point villas such as the AKV value studios or BWV std. view studios. The AKV value studios are very limited in quantity (18 total) and are often booked up BEFORE the 11-month window opens for a stay. BWV std. view studios (52 total) disappear the morning that booking opens for them, if not before. VGF is a small resort with only 47 studios total and owners who are reluctant to let their points go for the small compensation that the rental agencies offer for them. You will stand a better chance at Poly where there are 360 studios, although the owners there have also paid a huge premium to purchase their contracts and may not be interested in the small remuneration they would get from a rental agency. Best chances for success will be SSR where there are 332 studios and a lot of owners who may be interested in renting out.

So, my advice would be:
  1. Limit your split stay to 2 Disney resorts and save the 3rd one for another visit.
  2. Visit USO either before or after your Disney stay but not in the middle.
  3. Choose DVC villas that you are going to have the most success in obtaining. Studios go fast. 1-bedrooms are the easiest to get. Certain resorts are high-demand because of where they are located and because they require so few points for what you get.
  4. Don't make a budget based on the "cheap" views that have limited availability.
  5. Line up an owner or contact a rental agency BEFORE the 11-month window opens for the first day of your stay. Waiting until the day that the window opens or even later is going to leave you behind the pack. I'm not kidding. Owners have dubbed the time period between mid-September-to-Marathon weekend in January "Fall Frenzy".

Thanks to everyone who answered. Looks like opinion is split (ha!). Can I ask, for those against it for a first timer, may I ask why?

Thanks for all of the advice, it’s apprexiated. I have my rental person already lined up. They have every resort as their home resort. I’m giving them my choices well in advance of the 11 month window. I’m also aware it’s a popular time. Like I said, I do my research. I’m mostly just looking for opinions on whether three splits is too much or not. But I really appreciate all of the responses and advice either way!

Keep in mind that transportation is very easy to two or 3 of the 4 parks with the epcot and monorail resorts. AKL will take a while to get to any park (well except Animal kingdom as that is a short bus ride).
Personally I'd shorten the AKL stay to 3 days and lengthen the monorail and Epcot stays if able
example-monorail 4 days, 3 days AKL, 3 days Boardwalk. The break in the middle to allow some down time after what may be a commando first 4 days.
Then move offsite to Universal-the Universal deluxe and moderate hotels are sooooo nice that you will also be wanting to spend some down time in those resorts. I personally wouldn't sandwich Universal in between Disney stays as that is a much more time consuming endeavor. You will also be able to choose when you leave for airport vs stuck with ME schedule. Also moving between Disney resorts is easy (just drop luggage with bell services on day of checkout to move to next Disney resort

Some great suggestions here, thanks. Sticking AKL in the middle if we go for three-split isn’t a bad idea either. Can’t wait to just spend some time there chilling out.

That's so exciting!!!

As for a three way split, plus a US (so 4 hotels total??) I don't think you are crazy, especially since you are doing at least 3 at each resort. I didn't see who you are traveling with... if its just 2 adults its very easy. With little kids it might be more difficult if you have that much more stuff to unpack, set up, etc. But yeah as long as you are doing at least 3 nights, you should be fine! Disney makes it REALLY easy to transfer resorts so as long as you don't mind losing a little time in the packing/unpacking, why not see 3 resorts? All three areas you mentioned are AMAZING.. that would be my dream split! I say go for it!

Just two adults. We’ve done split vacations before, with way more traveling. Just not as Disney. So I think we will be fine splitting, it’s just whether we want to go the whole hog and aim for three! Decisions, decisions. :)

Can I ask, for those against it for a first timer, may I ask why?
I say go for it-but I love split stays.
That said-it is a bit of work and planning to basically pack up and move every other day and can eat a chunk of time if you choose to let it. This thread on split stays has some helpful tips. Also the shortened time at each resort won't really let you enjoy the more deluxe aspects of them. But you will be able to get the "flavor" of each resort.

And if it is just adults I'd put the resort with longer days at Epcot resort if you can get it-being able to stroll into WS is just awesome and so many things to eat!

Just want to add-hope you do a trip report when you return next year and let us know how it went!

Thanks to everyone who answered. Looks like opinion is split (ha!). Can I ask, for those against it for a first timer, may I ask why?

Thanks for all of the advice, it’s apprexiated. I have my rental person already lined up. They have every resort as their home resort. I’m giving them my choices well in advance of the 11 month window. I’m also aware it’s a popular time. Like I said, I do my research. I’m mostly just looking for opinions on whether three splits is too much or not. But I really appreciate all of the responses and advice either way!
IMO, split stays of 3 or fewer nights do not give you sufficient time to get to enjoy your resort, whether it's your first stay or your 100th. When it's your first time, that makes it even more difficult. BWV, AKV and VGF are my home resorts and I have been to each of them multiple times. I know the "secret" back doors, the quickest route to the pools, how to find the dining locations and what my transportation options are. That didn't happen in just a day or even two days. And I'm still finding new passageways and pathways. When you check in at 4 PM (this is DVC after all) on Day #1 and out by 11 AM on Day #4, you have had only 2 full days to learn to navigate the resort. Then you're off to another resort where you will again, not be in until after 4 PM (sometimes as late as 7 or 8 PM with DVC!) and will be rousted by housekeeping beginning at 8 AM on check out day. You want to do that a 3rd time? Plus mix in a stay at USO as well? It's just too much for someone who has never been to Disney before.

So, to my questions:

Thanks in advance.
We do split stays quite a bit and the one thing I've discovered is that I will no longer do split stays if it drops me below 3 nights at one place. I felt like I was always packing up to move.
I would personally decrease the AKL stay by a day and increase the BWV stay by a day. There's so much to do in the Boardwalk area that it would be nice to have some extra time there.
I think 3 nights at US is perfect. We did a 3 night stay a couple of years ago and we felt it was the perfect amount of time. Just make sure to get a park-to-park ticket. We spent the majority of the first day in one park and the majority of the second day in the other park, and on the third day, we went to each park to go back and do some of our favorite attractions again. On the first two days, we did go switch parks a little bit too. The new waterpark wasn't open when we were there, so that wasn't a factor for us.

It sounds like a fantastic trip!!! Have fun!!

It's just a matter of how you want to spend your time. Disney makes it convenient with luggage transfer but it is still a disruption on those moving days. And, since you're planning to rent DVC points, I think you have less of a chance of a room being ready early. There is going to be so many other things that you're going to have to figure out as a first timer while also trying to do and see as much as you can. Either way, have a good time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter