The Villas at Disney's Grand Californian Owners & Lovers Group - 2.0

What are people's experience booking a one bedroom at the 7 months mark?

Almost impossible for August. I am (or was) an owner and had 5 nghts booked at 11 months and wanted 3 more at 7. We watched availability more or less go by about 9 months so we changed our 1 bed to a studio for 8 nights. Glad we did as there was nothing left at 7 months. That was for August 2019.

Most CG owners buy points to only use there.

Hi! I finally get to book Thursday morning online.

Question about reservation modifications: If I book for 5 nights but later have to change to four nights, what is the penalty? Couldn’t find the answer on the DVC website.

Thank you!

Hi! I finally get to book Thursday morning online.

Question about reservation modifications: If I book for 5 nights but later have to change to four nights, what is the penalty? Couldn’t find the answer on the DVC website.

Thank you!
I believe it would be the same as if you cancelled: points would go back where they came from if it is 31+ days ahead of time.

What do you think the best options are for grocery delivery? Especially organic choices? Do I need to be present to receive the order or does bell services hold refrigerated items? Are there fees?

What do you think the best options are for grocery delivery? Especially organic choices? Do I need to be present to receive the order or does bell services hold refrigerated items? Are there fees?
We always order from Vons. We last did in August and have never been there for delivery (and they kept items refrigerated as needed), but I don't know if new rules apply to Grand Californian. We've never paid any resort fees for the delivery.

Last edited:

We just used Amazon Fresh at VGC recently and BS held it for us. I believe it was refrigerated since everything was still cold when we got it, but Amazon also packed cold things in insulated liners and we had it brought up within an hour or two. I thought there would be a BS fee when we checked out but there wasn’t. I even asked the front desk about it specifically and she said there wasn’t a charge.

Does anyone know if the ECV rental rules that changed in WDW recently are also in effect at DLR? I always rent and ECV from an outside company and have it delivered to the Grand Californian.

Hi all! We managed to get two reservations on rented points for 6 nights in a studio in Sept 2020–I’m super excited! Had a question though: my parents will be making the trip with us, but they’re going to stay at one of the Good Neighbor hotels cause it’s cheaper. Could we add them to our VGC reservation for the early entry perks and such, even if they won’t be spending the night in the studio?

Hi all! We managed to get two reservations on rented points for 6 nights in a studio in Sept 2020–I’m super excited! Had a question though: my parents will be making the trip with us, but they’re going to stay at one of the Good Neighbor hotels cause it’s cheaper. Could we add them to our VGC reservation for the early entry perks and such, even if they won’t be spending the night in the studio?
A studio only sleeps 4, so only if there were only 4 people total. But I don't know what safety issues that could cause in an emergency if they were doing a head count type of thing.

Yes as long as you don't exceed the max number per studio which is 4 or 5 if one is an infant. They don't even put the names on the cards anymore. So if u really wanted to, it would be very easy to trick the system.

A studio only sleeps 4, so only if there were only 4 people total. But I don't know what safety issues that could cause in an emergency if they were doing a head count type of thing.
Yes as long as you don't exceed the max number per studio which is 4 or 5 if one is an infant. They don't even put the names on the cards anymore. So if u really wanted to, it would be very easy to trick the system.

Adding the two of them would be 4 people total, so no occupancy problem, but would it be tricking the system? We would so want them to have access to the room in case they want midday breaks or naps or anything without us, we just want privacy from each other at night. Is that not ok? Not trying to exploit a loophole or anything, if it’s not ok.

Adding the two of them would be 4 people total, so no occupancy problem, but would it be tricking the system? We would so want them to have access to the room in case they want midday breaks or naps or anything without us, we just want privacy from each other at night. Is that not ok? Not trying to exploit a loophole or anything, if it’s not ok.
In my opinion there is absolutely nothing wrong with what you are proposing from any standpoint, whether it be contractual or ethical. There is no loophole that you are exploiting when you are just availing yourself to what you are entitled to.

I think the prior poster that was talking about tricking the system wasn’t referring to what you are doing. They were referring to something else based on the room keys being generic now.

As the PP said you are entitled to add up to the occupancy limit. I personally have for family members that stay elsewhere if they want to go into the room for a rest (just never go over the occupancy limit) or sit by the pool. It’s something already paid for.

Does anyone know if the ECV rental rules that changed in WDW recently are also in effect at DLR? I always rent and ECV from an outside company and have it delivered to the Grand Californian.t

Not sure about ECV specifically, but I think it's the same as stroller rental. I rent strollers from City Stroller and they have new rules effective December 1st (the day we check in). They gave me an hour and a half window and told me they will text me when they arrive at VGC so they can hand off the stroller. Definitely less convenient, but I think most companies have new procedures ready.

Not sure about ECV specifically, but I think it's the same as stroller rental. I rent strollers from City Stroller and they have new rules effective December 1st (the day we check in). They gave me an hour and a half window and told me they will text me when they arrive at VGC so they can hand off the stroller. Definitely less convenient, but I think most companies have new procedures ready.
Thank you!

Just purchased resale points at GCV because as members we could never get a room at the 7 month mark ! Our points should show before the end of the year and we are planning for an August of 2020 trip . We want to stay at GCV for as long as we can with our 150 points this trip we will be in CA for the week . We want to start in San Diego and drive up to DLR has anyone done this ? Is it a far drive ?

Just purchased resale points at GCV because as members we could never get a room at the 7 month mark ! Our points should show before the end of the year and we are planning for an August of 2020 trip . We want to stay at GCV for as long as we can with our 150 points this trip we will be in CA for the week . We want to start in San Diego and drive up to DLR has anyone done this ? Is it a far drive ?
Congratulations!!! We love having VGC points! We have done a combo San Diego/ Disneyland trip before. It isn't a terrible drive as long as you aren't in a rush, because you are going to deal with traffic. Seems like around 2 hours. We usually stay in Carlsbad if we do that, because we love Legoland, and that is around an hour or so. Use the WAZE app to get help with traffic.

We frequently drive up for the day from San Diego. 1.5-2 hours depending on where you are. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter