The Villas at Disney's Grand Californian Owners & Lovers Group - 2.0

Congratulations!!! We love having VGC points! We have done a combo San Diego/ Disneyland trip before. It isn't a terrible drive as long as you aren't in a rush, because you are going to deal with traffic. Seems like around 2 hours. We usually stay in Carlsbad if we do that, because we love Legoland, and that is around an hour or so. Use the WAZE app to get help with traffic.

Thank You we live in NYC we are always dealing with traffic ! We also use the Waze App and have booked for July as we are going to go to WDW in August !

Very Excited...booked at our 7 month window this morning for July. I doubted that i would get in. Booked at 8:10AM

Hello ..here now for the first time. Where is the recycling? Have paper and gallon water jugs to recycle. Thx!

Hello ..here now for the first time. Where is the recycling? Have paper and gallon water jugs to recycle. Thx!
We have asked the staff there before, and were told that there wasn't any place to leave recycling but to leave it under the sink next to the garbage can.

Many communities in CA have single stream recycling (maybe all?) and I'd guess that is what you find at VGC. ie - no separating at the source.

I was a bit disappointed in how VGC handles recycling. There were no bins or different-colored bags in the room for recycled items. The CM who took my trash the first day said if you have items for recycling you have to take them to the vending/trash room yourself (where there's a separate bin). She said it was too much work for the trash/housekeeping people to do both trash and recycling.

I collected my recycling items in a separate paper bag in the kitchen and one day it disappeared, I assume taken by the trash person. My suspicion is that it ended up in trash, not recycling.

I was a bit disappointed in how VGC handles recycling. There were no bins or different-colored bags in the room for recycled items. The CM who took my trash the first day said if you have items for recycling you have to take them to the vending/trash room yourself (where there's a separate bin). She said it was too much work for the trash/housekeeping people to do both trash and recycling.

I collected my recycling items in a separate paper bag in the kitchen and one day it disappeared, I assume taken by the trash person. My suspicion is that it ended up in trash, not recycling.

As I suspected the trash at the hotels is a single stream and it is sent elsewhere to be gone thru. https://publicaffairs.disneyland.com/environment/waste-reduction/

I'm interested in the "sleepability" of a VGC 1 Bedroom unit. I've seen in videos that show a Murphy bed. Are their height restrictions for sleeping on that sucker? Also, what about comfort of both the Murphy Bed and Sleeper sofa? My DW and DS (23yo) and DD (25yo) are wondering if it's doable for 3 or 4 nights.

I'm interested in the "sleepability" of a VGC 1 Bedroom unit. I've seen in videos that show a Murphy bed. Are their height restrictions for sleeping on that sucker? Also, what about comfort of both the Murphy Bed and Sleeper sofa? My DW and DS (23yo) and DD (25yo) are wondering if it's doable for 3 or 4 nights.
I always take the mattress out of the Murphy Bed and put it on the floor. It's shorter than a twin, but I'm 5'7" and I sleep on it OK. I haven't heard any complaints from family members about the sofa bed.

The murphy bed is at least a real mattress but I wouldn't want to be any taller than myself (5'5") unless you don't move around at night. Otherwise it's comfortable enough. I've had family members sleep on the sleeper sofa and have not complained but if they did they'd probably be booking their own rooms so it may not be a fair representation of the comfortability. :laughing: Also, they tend to be able to sleep anywhere on anything.

We are one week away from our first stay at GCV - very excited! That said, we've never done the DVC/rented points thing, and I'm hoping someone can advise me on the check-in process. Is it like a regular hotel check-in? Is there a special desk? Will I need the name of the owner from whom I'm renting points? Anything else I need to be thinking about? TIA!!!

We were there for the first time too just a few weeks ago. For This location, yes checkin was at the regular hotel check in / registration desk.

I did have the paper with reservation # and DVC owners name but it wasn't needed as my name was on the reservation. Had no issues at all.

We loved our first stay and already thinking of when we can do a return visit!

Thanks so much for the prompt response! We’re moving over to GCV after two nights at Hojo - my kids don’t know about the split stay, really looking forward to surprising them!!!

We are one week away from our first stay at GCV - very excited! That said, we've never done the DVC/rented points thing, and I'm hoping someone can advise me on the check-in process. Is it like a regular hotel check-in? Is there a special desk? Will I need the name of the owner from whom I'm renting points? Anything else I need to be thinking about? TIA!!!
As VTHappyGirl noted, all you should need is your own identification as that is what will be listed on the reservation. It never hurts to have more information, such as the owner's name, etc. You walk in the main entrance doors--great spot for a picture by the way--then turn right once inside. You'll see the check-in counters there, and there will be a CM to help guide you, as well. It's a great resort in a superb location--you'll love it! Enjoy yourselves!

How many of us have booked November 12, 2020 in anticipation of a DVC Moonlight Magic event? It looks like the only November day in 2020 booked out for a studio. If this is you, welcome and see you in November.
btw, we hedged our bet and also booked the 19th 😀

Mike

How many of us have booked November 12, 2020 in anticipation of a DVC Moonlight Magic event? It looks like the only November day in 2020 booked out for a studio. If this is you, welcome and see you in November.
btw, we hedged our bet and also booked the 19th 😀

Mike
Us too! But we book 1-bedrooms so availability is still open. I wondered if there was some insider info on the moonlight magic date for 2020 when I saw that single studio night booked up... Does anyone have any new information on the date? I wonder when they will announce it? I would love to firm up our plans for November, and would hate to miss Moonlight Magic by a day or two!

Us too! But we book 1-bedrooms so availability is still open. I wondered if there was some insider info on the moonlight magic date for 2020 when I saw that single studio night booked up... Does anyone have any new information on the date? I wonder when they will announce it? I would love to firm up our plans for November, and would hate to miss Moonlight Magic by a day or two!
We booked simply on past dates, no insider info. We will cancel the other Thursday if we are correct with one of them. We await the DVC gods and their date benevolence. Hard to understand why WDW dates are know for 2020 and DLR is still a mystery. Good luck To us all 😀

Checked in yesterday. Hotel is wonderful as always. Last time we stayed, we had 5500, with amazing views of DCA. Sadly, world of color went down that trip. This trip, it’s up, but we are on the other side, with pool views. Still nice, and definitely quieter without Sky School outside our window.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter