The waitlist option "Do Not Borrow" doesn't notate in MS' systems?

disneyberry

Dreaming of adventure
DVC Premium
This afternoon, to my surprise, I noticed my 2021 points balance was changed. I knew I definitely hadn't made any reservations using them, so I was baffled. Then I had a horrible thought, and scrolled down to check my waitlist requests.

Sure enough, one of my waitlists had matched and gotten confirmed. This morning I'd put a hold on some rooms for a family member who hadn't made a final decision, and so I didn't quite have enough 2020 points when my waitlist match got sent to the person who confirms them. So, MS had gone ahead and borrowed some points from 2021 to confirm the waitlist!

I was extremely upset to discover this and I immediately called MS to try to get this undone.
The adviser I'm working with said that she didn't see anything in the waitlist that says to NOT borrow.
I explained what the form looks like when we set up the waitlist requests, how specifically there is an option "Do Not Borrow". (screenshot below)

DVC-Waitlist-Borrow.gif

She told me that perhaps something was wrong with the member website and the "Do Not Borrow" didn't get submitted the day I set up the waitlist.

At this point, I'm wondering if maybe the "Do Not Borrow" doesn't do anything at all?! Back many years ago when you could first set up waitlist requests online, I remember they only gave you the options of picking which home resort to borrow from. The option "Do Not Borrow" didn't even exist. When they finally added it, I remember being happy that we could now instruct them not to borrow. Now I wouldn't be surprised if some Disney developer just threw this third drop down box option into the form but it does absolutely nothing.

Has anyone else experience this problem? If so, I'm going to write to MS to ask that they have development fix the form so it actually puts a note in your waitlist request. Sigh.

I have never had it borrow but I’ve always had points to cover. Most of my waitlists are replacements too.

However, the confirmation page does show what you chose and I always screenshot it. Maybe the CM meant that it didnt show on your particular set up?

It could just be a CM made an error? Hopefully, they can reverse for you. It’s one of the reasons I started screenshots so I always have proof.

Here is a copy for one I set up awhile ago:

• Love
Reactions: ctl
Aren’t they still unborrowing points if the 2020 reservation is canceled?

I have never had it borrow but I’ve always had points to cover. Most of my waitlists are replacements too.

However, the confirmation page does show what you chose and I always screenshot it. Maybe the CM meant that it didnt show on your particular set up?

It could just be a CM made an error? Hopefully, they can reverse for you. It’s one of the reasons I started screenshots so I always have proof.

View attachment 531472
Great advice, I never thought of screenshot for proof. (I guess I'm just a Luddite lol) I'll definitely be doing this from now on.

Just curious, but why set up a waitlist if you don’t have the points to fill it and don’t want to borrow points? Seems like a waste of everyone’s time unless I am missing something?
In the past, I have transferred points from one membership to another in order to confirm a waitlist. In yesterday's case, I was prepared to shuffle around some reservations to free up points to confirm the waitlist request if needed. My instructions for reservation changes should the waitlist match would not have been possible to sum up with a simple "replace this entire other reservation".

In the past, I have transferred points from one membership to another in order to confirm a waitlist. In yesterday's case, I was prepared to shuffle around some reservations to free up points to confirm the waitlist request if needed. My instructions for reservation changes should the waitlist match would not have been possible to sum up with a simple "replace this entire other reservation".

So, were you able to get the borrowed points out back after you rearranged?

One thing I wish they would do is find a way to show that a waitlist is matched but not yet processed.

If I am going to cancel a waitlist I check before I do before changing things around.

So, were you able to get the borrowed points out back after you rearranged?

One thing I wish they would do is find a way to show that a waitlist is matched but not yet processed.

If I am going to cancel a waitlist I check before I do before changing things around.
Yes, the CM I spoke with was very understanding and made sure to get the points unborrowed for me.
It would indeed be nice if they could show us when the waitlist matches real time.

View attachment 531472
That's a very good tip, I'm going to do it too from now on. Thanks!

also happened to me last spring. I noticed it and MS put the points back. I took 48 hours.

One more question for this thread if anyone knows the answer.

If you put “do not borrow” and they do not borrow the points and do not have any remaining for in this use year, would you maybe get a call offering to buy one time use points? Only reason I am wondering is because I have a trip coming up in September and would like to waitlist to move rooms but the request would cost an extra ~20 points. I would be happy to buy OTU points but was just hoping not to borrow. Anyone had this?

One more question for this thread if anyone knows the answer.

If you put “do not borrow” and they do not borrow the points and do not have any remaining for in this use year, would you maybe get a call offering to buy one time use points? Only reason I am wondering is because I have a trip coming up in September and would like to waitlist to move rooms but the request would cost an extra ~20 points. I would be happy to buy OTU points but was just hoping not to borrow. Anyone had this?

No. If you do not have enough points to fill it, the CM will release the room. What some people will do is make a dummy reservation and buy OTU points. Then cancel so they are there for the waitlist.

If the reservation you have was made 7 months or less, you can modify it, pick up the OTU points, and free up your own for the waitlist.

This way, if it doesn’t fill you can still bank if in banking window. The only drawback is you have to buy OTU points ahead of time.

No. If you do not have enough points to fill it, the CM will release the room. What some people will do is make a dummy reservation and buy OTU points. Then cancel so they are there for the waitlist.

If the reservation you have was made 7 months or less, you can modify it, pick up the OTU points, and free up your own for the waitlist.

This way, if it doesn’t fill you can still bank if in banking window. The only drawback is you have to buy OTU points ahead of time.

Thank you!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter