The Walking Dead on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.

npmommie

<font color=red>Channels George Michael in her car
anyone watch the first episode last night? I think I am hooked, although it is a bit gruesome and violent.
I couldn't stop watching

I have it taped but have not watched it yet. Must watch zombie apocalypse tv series...

I will be interested to find out the source of the zombification and how they put their spin on it.

anyone watch the first episode last night? I think I am hooked, although it is a bit gruesome and violent.
I couldn't stop watching

I'm waiting awhile before I trust this series - like after it's over and all the seasons are released on DVD!

I read the comic books and they definitely hooked me. But then the story just got darker, and darker and darker to the point where it was just unbelievably ridiculous. I mean, these poor people couldn't EVER get a break. Even when they finally come across another group of survivors, well, of course those folks turn out to be murdering lunatic rapists. :headache:

The writer has a habit of dangling a teeny tiny bit of hope, allowing you to become attached to a character, before snatching it away and plunging everyone into another festering pit of despair. And killing the character you liked in the most gruesome, traumatizing way possible. Even the good characters end up doing horrific things to each other and betraying their ideals and losing their humanity.

He describes his style as "realistic", but I think he has a very grim view of humanity. He's been quoted as saying that the only possible end for every story is death, it's just a matter of how you get there (and none of his characters' deaths are good ones - at least not in the 4 or 5 collections I read!). He also says that the whole point is to show that people are worse than zombies, morally speaking.

Maybe the TV series will be more optimistic... but I'm worried they'll decide to be "groundbreaking" instead. :rolleyes:

I LIKE it when my heroes help each other walk off into the zombie-infested sunset! I need hope...

I'm waiting awhile before I trust this series - like after it's over and all the seasons are released on DVD!

I read the comic books and they definitely hooked me. But then the story just got darker, and darker and darker to the point where it was just unbelievably ridiculous. I mean, these poor people couldn't EVER get a break. Even when they finally come across another group of survivors, well, of course those folks turn out to be murdering lunatic rapists. :headache:

The writer has a habit of dangling a teeny tiny bit of hope, allowing you to become attached to a character, before snatching it away and plunging everyone into another festering pit of despair. And killing the character you liked in the most gruesome, traumatizing way possible. Even the good characters end up doing horrific things to each other and betraying their ideals and losing their humanity.

He describes his style as "realistic", but I think he has a very grim view of humanity. He's been quoted as saying that the only possible end for every story is death, it's just a matter of how you get there (and none of his characters' deaths are good ones - at least not in the 4 or 5 collections I read!). He also says that the whole point is to show that people are worse than zombies, morally speaking.

Maybe the TV series will be more optimistic... but I'm worried they'll decide to be "groundbreaking" instead. :rolleyes:

I LIKE it when my heroes help each other walk off into the zombie-infested sunset! I need hope...

ummmmm thanks for the spoilers:rolleyes1

ummmmm thanks for the spoilers:rolleyes1

I didn't give any specific spoilers! Trust me, nothing I mentioned is a "one off" event. Not even stumbling across survivors and having it all go terribly wrong. Actually, I can't think of ONE time it turns out well for them in the long (or even short) run.

Bad things happen and people die, over and over and over again.

I think the only real spoiler is, just don't get too attached to any of the characters.

I didn't give any specific spoilers! Trust me, nothing I mentioned is a "one off" event. Not even stumbling across survivors and having it all go terribly wrong. Actually, I can't think of ONE time it turns out well for them in the long (or even short) run.

Bad things happen and people die, over and over and over again.

I think the only real spoiler is, just don't get too attached to any of the characters.

ok ok :)
can I be attached to sheriff Rick?
seems like they wouldn't kill him off? is he in the comic series?
I knew it was from a comic book series but never read it

ok ok :)
can I be attached to sheriff Rick?
seems like they wouldn't kill him off? is he in the comic series?
I knew it was from a comic book series but never read it

Well... this is the cover of Issue 75! :goodvibes

wd75v.jpg

No promises for future issues, though! ;)

Now if "World War Z" by Max Brooks was made into a TV series, I would SO watch that!

In his world, the zombie apocalypse make villains of some people, heroes of others, and some folks just muddle along for better or for worse. But there's always a sense of the overall resilience and worth of the human race.

Now if "World War Z" by Max Brooks was made into a TV series, I would SO watch that!

In his world, the zombie apocalypse make villains of some people, heroes of others, and some folks just muddle along for better or for worse. But there's always a sense of the overall resilience and worth of the human race.

I enjoy most zombie stories because of the spin they put on them. Most end optimistically. Some are pessimistic. I can accept "realist" for The Walking Dead. I think if a zombie apocalypse ever did occur, it would probably end with everyone dying, if you think of it realistically.

The Walking Dead comic series is too dark for me to really *love* it. But I still enjoy it enough to keep reading, and I'll definitely watch the show for as long as it's on. If I need a light hearted zombie fix, I'll watch Shaun of the Dead or Zombieland. If I need a more optimistic one, I'll reread World War Z. ;)

Just remember the "Walking Dead" in the title does not refer to the zombies. It refers to the remaining living.

I enjoy most zombie stories because of the spin they put on them. Most end optimistically. Some are pessimistic. I can accept "realist" for The Walking Dead. I think if a zombie apocalypse ever did occur, it would probably end with everyone dying, if you think of it realistically.

The Walking Dead comic series is too dark for me to really *love* it. But I still enjoy it enough to keep reading, and I'll definitely watch the show for as long as it's on. If I need a light hearted zombie fix, I'll watch Shaun of the Dead or Zombieland. If I need a more optimistic one, I'll reread World War Z. ;)

Have you seen Fido? :thumbsup2 Excellent, lighthearted, zombie fare, with interesting social commentary.

Also, there's Flight of the Living Dead, which is absolute dreck, but highly entertaining none the less. It's got a legless zombie nun! :laughing:

Land of the Dead is probably my current favorite of the Romero oeuvre. I was rooting for "Big Daddy" all the way through!

I thought the first episode was good.

I wonder how closely the comic books will be followed?

True Blood would have lost a few excellent characters had they followed the books instead of changing it up a bit.

Finally watched it last night. I had to DVR it since ToT with the kids was a little exhausting this year.

What a great show! I love that this is a series, because in the movies they have to rush the character development so that there can be more zombie action. Since they can go week-to-week with this, we are going to be more connected to the characters. Can't wait for next week's episode.

As to the idea that a lot of the characters may, or may not, make it, well, that's the way it works during a zombie apocalypse. :thumbsup2

We watched it...like watching paint dry. The entire opening was the same as 28 Days Later(though I don't know if that movie or the comic this is based on came out first).

The show is impossibly slow. An hour and a half and almost nothing has happened. The acting is sub par. The entire first almost 7 minutes was just two dudes sitting in a car doing exposition!

As for the gore. Puh-lease. It was tame by zombie-flick standards (and yes I understand this is a cable show and NOT a movie). True Blood is WAY more over-the-top and shocking than this show.

On the plus side, it's shot well.

Nope...not for me. This has been done before and done much much better.

It did seem 28 Day-ish to me in the beginning, but I liked it.

Just checked IMDB.com and 28 Days Later came out in 2002, while the comics started in 2003.

I thought it was great! I hated the part with the horse though. :(

I love that it was filmed here (Atl) because I recognized so many places!

I watched it with DS14 and we both liked it. Although why in the world the guy would take a random horse and saddle up rather than just keep looking for another vehicle is beyond me. :confused3

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter