The Walt Disney Family Museum

It is lovely out there at the Presidio, and I reapplied to volunteer at the Disney Museum after I got an e-mail earlier this month asking whether I was still interested. I don't assume that I am going to make it though because I had to take a drug test on Monday, and I am insulin dependent. I have had several doctors' offices refuse to treat me after learning that I am an insulin-dependent diabetic. I told my interviewer the truth, but I am discouraged about finding any kind of job once I tell people that I am diabetic because I have so often gotten "the look" and then no callback.

When I took that drug test I assumed they were looking for illegal drugs. Why would they care if you were on insulin?

Miss SD, I will answer in a private message so that we don't hijack this thread and make it all about me. I will be at Disney World by this time next week and just want to think about having a good time on a trip my doctor believes will be good for my health and not how much my condition has inconvenienced me in the job market

I would recommend the Disney Family Museum for any Disney fans visiting the San Francisco area. I heard a parent say that there wasn't enough there for little children, but any adult would love it. The location is so pretty that it is hard to believe that that land was so recently an Army base.

It is lovely out there at the Presidio, and I reapplied to volunteer at the Disney Museum after I got an e-mail earlier this month asking whether I was still interested. I don't assume that I am going to make it though because I had to take a drug test on Monday, and I am insulin dependent. I have had several doctors' offices refuse to treat me after learning that I am an insulin-dependent diabetic. I told my interviewer the truth, but I am discouraged about finding any kind of job once I tell people that I am diabetic because I have so often gotten "the look" and then no callback.

I am very surprised by this. I take medication to prevent migraines that can show up in drug tests as an illegal substance. So far, it has not prevented me from getting a job. Once the job is offered to me, I do tell them about the medication. There have been no concerns. I hope you find this to be true with the museum. Please let me know if you do become a volunteer so I can say hello when I'm there!

I am so excited!!! DH and I are visiting San Fran Sept 30-Oct 6 and we are planning a day for the museum. I never would have thought I would get my Disney fix in San Francisco!!! It was funny how I even came to find it. I love Wolfgang Puck Express breakfast so I googled it to see if I could find one to eat at in San Fran. Lo and behold popped up the The Disney Family Museum!!! I couldn't believe it! And DH is excited too. He loves trains so I can't wait for him to see the train exhibit. I'm purchasing tickets for 10am so we can spend as long as possible. WOO HOO, :cool1::cool1::cool1: Yes, I am excited!!!!!

I am planning on going to this museum when we do our 2011 trip, can anyone give me advice on hotels, transport, airport shuttle etc. I have never been to San Fransisco and the only thing I want to do is this museum and then maybe some sightseeing, thanks!

I am planning on going to this museum when we do our 2011 trip, can anyone give me advice on hotels, transport, airport shuttle etc. I have never been to San Fransisco and the only thing I want to do is this museum and then maybe some sightseeing, thanks!

Hotels: If you want to be close to most of the attractions in San Francisco, I would reccomend Union Square, there's lots of shopping and plenty of places to eat, near chinatown and little Italy. Not cheap, but safer than the perimeter of the city except for Fisherman's Wharf, or Lombard street. There are some nice boutique hotels in the downtown area.

Transportation: The transportaiton is excellent. The bus and subway station for San Francisco only are called "MUNI". Here's the link:

http://www.sfmta.com/cms/mhome/home50.htm

The other type of subway transportation that links San Francisco to other cities in the surrounding areas/cities is called "BART". Here's that link:

http://www.bart.gov/

Airport transportation to downtown San Francisco: If you don't have much luggage, you can take the BART from the airport straight to downtown San Francisco. Just remember, the "Embarcadero" is your last stop in San Francisco before you go under the bay...! :rolleyes1
The other option is the airport shuttle, here's several links to try:
http://www.supershuttle.com/
http://www.airportexpresssf.com/

Most of the attractions in San Francisco for children 3 and under are free.
The San Francisco City Pass is a good deal, here's the link:

http://www.citypass.com/san-francisco

Born and raised in SF, I highly recommend the Academy of Sciences, the Exploratorium, the Bay Cruise, and of course, don't forget the "Walt Disney Family Museum"...

Have fun and good luck! :yay::thumbsup2:banana:

As a child, I would read "The Art of Walt Disney" cover to cover and savor the story of the man, the mouse, and the creation of Disneyland. Visiting this museum is like living inside that book!

We spent 4 1/2 hours there and it was not enough. (But that was all I could ask my 5 year old to do ;) ). We arrived early, not knowing how long traffic through downtown San Francisco would be. We took a short walk down to the shore of the bay to take some piccies of the Golden Gate bridge. We entered at 10am, opening time. One tip, pictures are not allowed except for one spectacular glass hallway through which you have a great view of the Golden Gate, so do bring (but don't use) your camera.

I certainly could have spent 8 hours there and not do the same thing twice. We got to gallery 4 by lunchtime and were told we had only been to 4 out of 10 galleries. So we went downstairs to the cafe for lunch. Warning about the cafe, they only serve one sandwich, one soup, and one salad, and they really have nothing for kids (not even a bagel!). However, the food (Wolfgang Puck) was very good. I had a tuna/mustard sandwich and my husband had the chili, both excellent. My 5 year old ate a cupcake and the banana I had with me as a snack.

In the afternoon, we picked back up again in gallery 5. My son especially liked the interactive items in each gallery, such as: a moviola of Snow White that he could crank and display; the various headsets / phones / touch screens that he could hear; synchronizing sound effects to an early Mickey cartoon; and of course Disney cartoons playing around every bend.

My husband, who is not really a Disney fan, still enjoyed the historical nature of the museum and reading about a visionary such as Walt.

I loved so many things and even after being a student of many a Walt Disney autobiography and many Disneyland historical books, I learned stuff too!! Certainly something for everyone.

The top three items I really, really loved was:
  1. Seeing Walt's real miniatiure locomotive, the Lilly Belle, took my breath away. How many film clips have you seen with Disney or some movie star riding that train! and here it was right in front of you.
  2. The Disneyland of Walt Disney's imagination miniature model. This model, specially commissioned for the museum, has a miniature of many of your favorite rides! The Phantom Saucers. The Mine Train Ride. Pirates of the Caribbean, Peter Pan. Alice in Wonderland. A Disneyland that never existed at one time, but maybe the "perfect" Disneyland of Walt's dreams.
  3. The latest interactive technology on touch tables displaying scenes from all things Disney. Touch shuffle to load an entire table of new scenes. Touch a scene to find related videos, songs, piccies of that object. For instance, touching Robin Hood, brought up the trailer for the film, the film poster, etc. You get the idea. I could have spent all day just in this room!

Anyway. Go! If you are on this forum, you are probably a Disney Fan so leave yourself all day to visit! It was a dream come true!!!:cheer2: :wizard:

Hi DIS Moderator! There are several posts on this thread that would make a great sticky about the Walt Disney Family Museum! Please consider it! Especially since these are the DIS Boards... let's spread the word! :woohoo:

Hotels: If you want to be close to most of the attractions in San Francisco, I would reccomend Union Square, there's lots of shopping and plenty of places to eat, near chinatown and little Italy. Not cheap, but safer than the perimeter of the city except for Fisherman's Wharf, or Lombard street. There are some nice boutique hotels in the downtown area.

Transportation: The transportaiton is excellent. The bus and subway station for San Francisco only are called "MUNI". Here's the link:

http://www.sfmta.com/cms/mhome/home50.htm

The other type of subway transportation that links San Francisco to other cities in the surrounding areas/cities is called "BART". Here's that link:

http://www.bart.gov/

Airport transportation to downtown San Francisco: If you don't have much luggage, you can take the BART from the airport straight to downtown San Francisco. Just remember, the "Embarcadero" is your last stop in San Francisco before you go under the bay...! :rolleyes1
The other option is the airport shuttle, here's several links to try:
http://www.supershuttle.com/
http://www.airportexpresssf.com/

Most of the attractions in San Francisco for children 3 and under are free.
The San Francisco City Pass is a good deal, here's the link:

http://www.citypass.com/san-francisco

Born and raised in SF, I highly recommend the Academy of Sciences, the Exploratorium, the Bay Cruise, and of course, don't forget the "Walt Disney Family Museum"...

Have fun and good luck! :yay::thumbsup2:banana:

Ohh thanks so much! :wizard:

I like the Travellodge Golden Gate in Cow Hollow on Lombard (basic & clean with free parking and in a great neighborhood!) The rates are great and it is right down the street from the WDFM plus in a great location for everything else San Francisco.

I am very surprised by this. I take medication to prevent migraines that can show up in drug tests as an illegal substance. So far, it has not prevented me from getting a job. Once the job is offered to me, I do tell them about the medication. There have been no concerns. I hope you find this to be true with the museum. Please let me know if you do become a volunteer so I can say hello when I'm there!

I went to my orientation on Wednesday and am scheduled for my first shift on Monday. I want to do the shifts that the students can't do and save those that they can for them, and weekday mornings are when most college classes go on.

I didn't want to get too snitty about it, but I was fearful of my insulin showing in the drug test. I know that diabetics are specifically mentioned in the Americans With Disabilities Act, but I didn't want to make that much of a fuss about it either. I just want normality in my life, and normal people work.

It is lovely out there in the Presidio, and the animation inside the museum is lively. I would highly recommend it to any Disney fan visiting San Francisco. It is right there next to the Palace of Fine Arts and Golden Gate Bridge so it is right there in the thick of tourist things anyway and well worth the stop.

I'm so glad to hear you're going to be joining the museum. I hope we're there at the same time at some point, although I usually only work weekends.

Ohh thanks so much! :wizard:

You are so welcome!!!:flower3:
One of my closest friends is moving to Melbourne, Australia in December...:( and :yay: at the same time...
I hope you have a nice and safe trip to San Francisco.:wizard:

I was at the 1 year celebration of the WDFM, I saw Diane Disney Miller, she was only 6 feet away from me! I just admired her from afar, to be that close to Walt Disney's family was inspiring.:goodvibes

Miss SD or SanFranciscan,

I'm hoping one of you can answer a few questions about the activities/classes since you volunteer there? Are they for free? I'm interested in the Finger Painting for Big Kids class for adults this month and Disney Discoveries (create your own Mickey Mouse statue) in November but I can't find info on the website about costs/how to attend.

If you can, please let me know. Thanks!!

I went to my orientation on Wednesday and am scheduled for my first shift on Monday. I want to do the shifts that the students can't do and save those that they can for them, and weekday mornings are when most college classes go on.

We were there on Monday (10/4)! Maybe our paths crossed. We got there at 10am and left around 3:30 or so. The museum was fantastic and everyone there was so nice. Hope you enjoyed your first day!!!

Just returned from San Francisco and had a great time. We stayed at Union Square (St. Francis) and I agree, shopping is fantastic! The first day, before I bought our MUNI passes, I walked to Fisherman's Wharf. Wow, that was a great walk. Got a good workout and was able to enjoy the views at my own pace.

The second day, I bought our MUNI passes. We utilized the cable cars of course, the F-line (I think that's what it's called), and the buses. Cable cars were fun, but not very efficient most of the time. 5 or 6 of them would be lined up at the turn around with tons of people in line and they wouldn't be boarding or anything. They sit there 10, 15, sometimes 20 minutes then they would board people. What is the reasoning behind that? Anyway, the other transportation was very efficient and the drivers were very helpful by letting us know when to get off and to what bus to transfer to. I would recommend the MUNI passes to anyone visiting San Fran. We paid $26 each for a week. Oh and back to the cable cars... A little trick we learned that helped some was if the line is real long at the turn around, go up to the first stop as they usually held spaces open to pick people up along the way. At the turn around by Ghirardelli Square, the first stop was just a couple of blocks and there was also a bus stop right by it. Which ever one came first, we hopped on. We had it down the last couple of days :goodvibes

I'm hoping one of you can answer a few questions about the activities/classes since you volunteer there? Are they for free? I'm interested in the Finger Painting for Big Kids class for adults this month and Disney Discoveries (create your own Mickey Mouse statue) in November but I can't find info on the website about costs/how to attend.

If you can, please let me know. Thanks!![/QUOTE

I will make sure that I know what I am talking about on Monday, as I am scheduled at 10:00 a.m. It is my impression that the classes require registration but not anything like tuition. I will make sure of that though as I just started this week.

If you can, please let me know. Thanks!!

Sorry I didn't see this until I returned from the museum this afternoon. The Disney Discoveries, which are geared toward children, are free (my daughter made the Treasure Island ship yesterday) and I think the adult classes are free, although it's hard to tell. The member newsletter says "registration required" for the finger painting class, but doesn't tell you how to register or if a fee will be charged. And neither does the website, for that matter. I think SanFranciscan should be able to find out tomorrow. If not, I'll check around.

I just called the museum and found out that the finger painting classes have been canceled.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter