The Wave info needed...

acarsme123

DIS Veteran
Right now we have dinner reservations at The Wave for 5pm on a Monday in March. We are actually staying at Universal but we’re doing the Magic Kingdom After Hours event and the before fireworks dessert party. I understand they start letting in for the After Hours event at 7pm. Do you all feel a 5pm reservation would give us enough time to eat and make our way to the park, or is that cutting it too close? We keep going back and forth whether to keep The Wave reservation or if it’s just better for us to eat at Citywalk, to where we wouldn’t be as rushed to complete our meal.

I tried seeing if The Wave had a 4:30pm time slot but it’s not showing anything available.

Given that it's a short walk to MK, I'd say you're probably OK if you aren't lingering a while over dessert and coffee. Especially since you'll do security on the walk over so won't have to wait in longer lines at the entrance.

Two hours is plenty of time! :) I like walking to MK from the contemporary resort because going through security/bag check along the way is so much faster than the main entrance at MK. BTW the food at The Wave is so good! :cloud9:

No dessert at The Wave for us....we are going to the fireworks dessert party!

Given that it's a short walk to MK, I'd say you're probably OK if you aren't lingering a while over dessert and coffee. Especially since you'll do security on the walk over so won't have to wait in longer lines at the entrance.

I would think that was enough time--until our last experience there. We had a 12:30 reservation for lunch. Got there at 12:15, seated at 12:30. 1:45 and just got apps (only because we had asked management, who found he had never even entered our order in the system). Our server kept disappearing for long periods. We ended up having to cancel our entrees to leave to make our 2:15 FPs at MK. If you see any signs that you may have this server--ask for a manager right away.

Yikes! Ya that’s what I’m afraid of. I’ve heard complaints of slow service here before so that’s why I created the post. Still on the fence whether to keep this reservation or cancel and just eat at Citywalk at Universal. If we are at Universal that would give us more time to enjoy a meal before we would have to drive to Magic Kingdom. The food at The Wave just sounded so good. I know it’s been getting a ton of praise lately. Plus I wanted to be able to valet so we could just walk back to the car after the AH event since it gets out so late. Hmmmm. Decisions decisions.
I would think that was enough time--until our last experience there. We had a 12:30 reservation for lunch. Got there at 12:15, seated at 12:30. 1:45 and just got apps (only because we had asked management, who found he had never even entered our order in the system). Our server kept disappearing for long periods. We ended up having to cancel our entrees to leave to make our 2:15 FPs at MK. If you see any signs that you may have this server--ask for a manager right away.

If you do the dessert party, there isn't any reason to eat dinner a few hours before. Maybe get something small at Universal before you head to the MK, but not a full dinner meal.

Yikes! Ya that’s what I’m afraid of. I’ve heard complaints of slow service here before so that’s why I created the post. Still on the fence whether to keep this reservation or cancel and just eat at Citywalk at Universal. If we are at Universal that would give us more time to enjoy a meal before we would have to drive to Magic Kingdom. The food at The Wave just sounded so good. I know it’s been getting a ton of praise lately. Plus I wanted to be able to valet so we could just walk back to the car after the AH event since it gets out so late. Hmmmm. Decisions decisions.
The food is very good. It was a man in his 50's or 60's--watch out if you get him! Though there is a server there named Eddy who fits that and is excellent. I would still go, just stay on it from the beginning. We let too much time pass before inquiring of a manager as to where our food/server was. But the food is excellent. I'm still bothered we missed out on our entrees!

I mentioned your suggestion to my wife tonight and after some consideration, we think it's probably best to cancel The Wave only from the standpoint that we are doing the "before fireworks" party. If we eat at 5pm, there is a good chance we will still be full by the time the dessert party starts at 7:30. Plus we are doing After Hours, and would want to partake in the snacks at that event as well. With as much as these two events cost, we want to make sure we will get our money's worth. I have a feeling if we go to an unlimited dessert party so close after dinner, we won't get as much out of it as we should given the cost. So now we are thinking about eating earlier at Citywalk, like around 3pm, so we have more time to let our food digest before going to the dessert party.

If you do the dessert party, there isn't any reason to eat dinner a few hours before. Maybe get something small at Universal before you head to the MK, but not a full dinner meal.

I think you would have been fine timing-wise, but I agree that it makes more sense to not eat a full dinner before the dessert party.

I would still recommend parking at the Contemporary, though! Walking back to your car (or hotel room for me, since we usually stay at Contempo) is the BEST. Last year we stayed till close at MVMCP and then walked back to our room loving life and feeling sorry for the crowds of exhausted people waiting in line for transportation. Maybe you could do appetizers at the Wave so you can still park there?

I wonder how bad the lines will be for the ferry back to TTC when the After Hours event ends? Anyone have any firsthand knowledge? This particular event ends at 1am.

We did a dessert party several years ago at the MK and it was still cheap, like $25 for adults (but no wine). We didn't eat dinner and had a great time just pigging out on all the desserts. My son and his friend were hungry later on afterwards, so they got something from the quick service at our resort. You really don't want to eat a big meal before the dessert party if you want to get your money's worth at the party. It's the one time you get to eat dessert for dinner.

Right now we have dinner reservations at The Wave for 5pm on a Monday in March. We are actually staying at Universal but we’re doing the Magic Kingdom After Hours event and the before fireworks dessert party. I understand they start letting in for the After Hours event at 7pm. Do you all feel a 5pm reservation would give us enough time to eat and make our way to the park, or is that cutting it too close? We keep going back and forth whether to keep The Wave reservation or if it’s just better for us to eat at Citywalk, to where we wouldn’t be as rushed to complete our meal.

I tried seeing if The Wave had a 4:30pm time slot but it’s not showing anything available.
Me personally, I like to have a lil extra time....True you might actually just make it, but I don't like being rushed, or hurried at a meal.*( We get enough of that @ the parks themselves ) Even if things go as planeed, you still have a 10 min. walk or so, then through the gates....But I do highly recommend the Wave, because this TS is
A W E S O M E

I have a 5:15 Wave reservation, then dessert party, then after hours in March too. I think that should be plenty of time to eat and walk over for the 7:00 entry.

If you cancel the wave ressie you cant park at the contemporary so you'll deal with the ttc. That's the one reason. We do make ressies at the monorail resort restaurants.

If you cancel the wave ressie you cant park at the contemporary so you'll deal with the ttc. That's the one reason. We do make ressies at the monorail resort restaurants.
They can always valet park at the Contemporary. I often get a beer or 2 and a sandwich at the Wave bar before parties. If they are offsite and would have to pay for parking at the TTC, valet is not much more.

Another option is just to Uber or Lyft to/from the Contemporary.

Well thanks for the input everyone. We decided to cancel The Wave. My wife and I agreed it would be better to eat dinner earlier in the day to let more time pass between the meal and the dessert party. I will just deal with the TTC I guess. I'm sure we are going to have to sleep in for our first Universal day on Tuesday, but hopefully since we have Express Pass it won't be too much of an issue. I dunno, never done this Universal thing before so we'll see.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter