The Wave to turn into Incredibles Steakhouse?

Maybe just for one meal a day - like (I think?) I read they are doing at Topolino. Characters at the slower, under-performing meal (Lunch, probably), and then leave B and D alone?

Lovely romantic quiet dinner atmosphere is not really what most of us are there for though. I would hazard neither are maybe 90-95% of the other guests at Disney. If that's what I'm looking for, I get a sitter and go somewhere with my husband one of the other 355 nights I'm not at Disneyworld. If that's what you're looking for, go eat off site. Plenty of great restaurants where you won't be bothered by Disney theming.

Also these topics are also hilarious to me, when Disney tries to add more Disney to Disney.

More Disney, OH NO, how DARE THEY?

Why do y'all even GO?
I have absolutely no issue with adding characters but the MO seems to be add characters, remove food quality and / or choices, drastically raise prices.

Gotta create that Corporate synergy! Gotta cram every IP you can! Nothing can just "be" ... it needs to be tied to a movie. Maybe they can put a gift shop in the restaurant lobby !

Maybe just for one meal a day - like (I think?) I read they are doing at Topolino. Characters at the slower, under-performing meal (Lunch, probably), and then leave B and D alone?

That is not a bad idea - and can move to more of a "steakhouse" anyway, but then for conventioners I would think Dinner would be more in their wheelhouse than lunch. So have lunch be the characters for the families, and then dinner more of an upscale/corprorate vibe

Actually, when I was there a couple of weeks ago the server mentioned that this is a very strong possibility.

They're going to lose the menu at the Wave to create an IP Steakhouse. I don't think they really need another Steakhouse, but maybe thats what the masses want.
I agree, characters for breakfast and lunch would be good, but leave the menu alone for dinner (maybe its not as busy as they want it to be for dinner?)

I've always liked the bar at the Wave--not because they do anything particularly different (or even well) there, but the bar staff have always been excellent.

That said, I find the food to be just "ok" and the environment on the drab/dark side--almost institutional. I think it's been a real challenge to combine the modernist decor of the property with a windowless space.

I agree with some previous posters that steakhouses are nearly ubiquitous, but then I also tend to frequent them. They are all over the place in every city I visit, and so it stands to reason that they are a real draw. Not sure how I feel about a "character meal / steakhouse experience" -- that's an interesting combination that I don't immediately see as intuitive.

Some changes in F&B locations I have been absolutely opposed to, and disappointed in the results (i.e., Main Street Bakery and Flying Fish makeovers), and some I've really enjoyed (i.e., Trattoria al Forno and California Grill). I'm willing to see what they do with this one.

They're going to lose the menu at the Wave to create an IP Steakhouse. I don't think they really need another Steakhouse, but maybe thats what the masses want.
I agree, characters for breakfast and lunch would be good, but leave the menu alone for dinner (maybe its not as busy as they want it to be for dinner?)

One of the restaurants I miss the most is the Concourse Steakhouse. My family tends to visit steakhouses when we dine out, and WDW is no exception. We never felt the need to venture to the CR for dinner at the Wave, yet we made a point to head there ever trip to CSH.

I understand that this restaurant had what a lot of people visiting WDW wanted, an escape from the noise, crowds, and clutter that accompanies Disney vacations, but if you look at it from a business perspective, 1/2 empty restaurants that may make their patrons happy do not pay the freight. I look at space on the monorail line as prime real estate. If you want to live there you better be able to make that space pay for itself, and a restaurant that cannot turn enough tables at any given meal is not going to pay it's rent. This restaurant seems to perform in a similar way that AP did, but there times per day. I don't think closing for lunch woudl do anything but reduce a bit of overhead, when perhaps what it needs to do is increase revenue.

Personally, I think that the management can use a character lunch to boost revenue enough to keep breakfast and dinner character free. Families who use meals as a break from the parks will hop on the monorail for lunch with the Incredibles and then head back for more park fun. They likely have not been using the Wave as that break, and have gone elsewhere.

This is a good restaurant, and one I would be saddened to see it become another character experience. Also, Disney has proven it has no idea how to do a Steakhouse. There is no Steakhouse on property that comes close to the level of the major high-end chains, while charging the same or more (I mean Capital Grille, Morton's, Ruth's Chris, Sullivan's, etc, for reference).

I have no evidence or facts, but why I believe this won't happen - the convention center. The Wave is interesting to business travelers.... Decent food, drinks, bar.... A "Character" steakhouse is not. The contemporary's convention center traffic should ensure that the Wave is safe, or Disney will lose a lot of revenue to convention travelers taking Ubers to a local option... or Schula's if they don't want to leave property.

This is a good restaurant, and one I would be saddened to see it become another character experience. Also, Disney has proven it has no idea how to do a Steakhouse. There is no Steakhouse on property that comes close to the level of the major high-end chains, while charging the same or more (I mean Capital Grille, Morton's, Ruth's Chris, Sullivan's, etc, for reference).

I have no evidence or facts, but why I believe this won't happen - the convention center. The Wave is interesting to business travelers.... Decent food, drinks, bar.... A "Character" steakhouse is not. The contemporary's convention center traffic should ensure that the Wave is safe, or Disney will lose a lot of revenue to convention travelers taking Ubers to a local option... or Schula's if they don't want to leave property.
I too would be very sad to see The Wave go. :sad: Once it turns into a character meal, the food quality will go down and the prices will double, at least. Such a shame. I have no faith in disney maintaining the current quality of food. They know people will pay to eat there no matter how bad (or mediocre) the food. So why bother trying right? Ugh.

I agree that its hard to find a good steak at disney. One of the best steaks ive had was two years ago at Artist Point. I went again last year just before they closed for reno's and it wasnt as good. It had some kind of buttery foam thing on it. Which ruined it.

There’s been weak rumors from time to time of the convention center being knocked down and more rooms being added on. From what I’ve heard, and this could be off base, is that it’s kinda an outdated facility (built in the early 90s I believe) and isn’t the most trafficked spot on property.
Convention center is outdated and cavernous.

I've always liked the bar at the Wave--not because they do anything particularly different (or even well) there, but the bar staff have always been excellent.

That said, I find the food to be just "ok" and the environment on the drab/dark side--almost institutional. I think it's been a real challenge to combine the modernist decor of the property with a windowless space.

I agree with some previous posters that steakhouses are nearly ubiquitous, but then I also tend to frequent them. They are all over the place in every city I visit, and so it stands to reason that they are a real draw. Not sure how I feel about a "character meal / steakhouse experience" -- that's an interesting combination that I don't immediately see as intuitive.

Some changes in F&B locations I have been absolutely opposed to, and disappointed in the results (i.e., Main Street Bakery and Flying Fish makeovers), and some I've really enjoyed (i.e., Trattoria al Forno and California Grill). I'm willing to see what they do with this one.
I remember going to chef Mickey’s years ago when it was in downtown Disney. At the time it was a steak house and it actually worked out great if my memory serves.

The Wave sucks. Anything would be better.
I agree that the menu doesn’t jump out at you and offer gourmet fare but the food is serviceable and as a PP mentioned it’s a nice quit place to grab a cocktail at the bar. There aren’t too many such places around the 7 Seas

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter