The Widow and the Spinster: The Search for Adventure, Enlightenment, and the Quest for Forbidden food - Bacon, Bacon, Bacon, and New TR Link! 4/2

Not really. I haven't met a lot of (straight) men who like to dress up. But I know a lot of women who really like to get dressed over the top.
Welll.... Maybe I'm not straight and just didn't notice?

;)
my fitbit says I got 6hr 51mins sleep.
Not bad... not great.
The tub was so small I couldn't even put my legs straight.
:( Unfortunate... but I suppose to be expected on a ship... especially a smaller one. (Compared to an ocean liner.)
Eventually I laid down and my torso was about 85% covered. I did have to rest my legs on the wall where the faucet was, but that was OK I was still getting the benefit of the warm water and Dead Sea Salts on my shoulders.
Better than no tub.
Did I mention that none of these boats have elevators?
Not at all surprised by that.
q23EGY1101NRC02.jpg
Like this shot. :)
Here’s what’s happening today.
I kinda laughed at that.
"Thanks. I had the okay-est day ever."
I started off with a waffle
We've already had this conversation. ;)
Now Jill and I have some pretty bougie plans coming up in 2024 which include a lot of fine dining.
Great! Can't wait to hear all about them. :)
By now the misuse of the phrase "Bon Apetit" was really starting to get on our nerves.
Yeah... I guess it'd get old.
Essentially he was removing stuff we thought was gross and saying, "Enjoy your meal!"
Right. And that's why it'd get old.

"Bon appetit"
"Actually my 'appetit' is fine... the food... not so much."
When we got back to the room I noticed my phone's resting screen was displaying local time and home time. It was 11:35PM. Oops. I was an hour early on the midnight call.
oops
Let's hope we get it. Spoiler Alert, we do!
Yuss. :)
That’s one you don’t see back home.

q23EGY1101NRC11.jpg
Camouflage. He'll sneak up on you when you're not looking and bam! You've just bought yourself a tacky souvenir.
His name was Mohammed and he was definitely our favorite of all the guides so far.
Great!
He took my hand to get me started until there was a railing to hold onto.
Very nice of him. :)
Lots of the stones were broken in places, sometimes eliminating an entire step.
Yikes! People with balance issues or limited mobility are going to get... probably hurt.
I think they see the camera with the big lens and think "rich people", when in fact the really rich people wouldn't even bother with such hassles, they'd hire a photographer if they wanted those type of pictures.
Huh. Never thought of it that way.
In Edfu the traditional means to get to the temple (for small parties like Jill and I), is to take a horse and carriage. Large groups still take buses, but our guide had a guy lined up for our trip to and from the Temple.
Fun that you got to do that. :)

Your trip reports are fantastic, you do such a wonderful job with them. I have now spent my Saturday in Egypt with you and have enjoyed it very much!

To be fair...Egypt switched from Daylight Savings time on a Thursday night 2 weeks before the US did and I think the UK switched a week before the US so our math was hard to figure it all out!

Yes, we did have that challenge, it was very confusing as to what time was what during that period.

He was the BEST guide of the trip! I wished we had him the whole time. You don't really have a lack of mobility..you did amazing! It's just hard stepping up that high on the carriage.

Yes, he was the best guide!

And unfortunately I do have slight mobility challenges, I was reminded of that going down stairs at Disneyland today. While I can walk places and do things, I need a bannister when ascending or descending stairs. I can't just go up and down them without something to hold onto, so there is that challenge. I'm just glad that I live in a one level house and may need to stay here until I can't feed and bathe myself. :laughing:

Welll.... Maybe I'm not straight and just didn't notice?

;)

Well....I always wondered..... :lmao:

:( Unfortunate... but I suppose to be expected on a ship... especially a smaller one. (Compared to an ocean liner.)

Yeah, the Disney ones are supposedly small. I'll find out in October when I stay in my first non HA room in 20+ years.

Better than no tub.

Yes it is.

Like this shot. :)

Thanks!

I kinda laughed at that.
"Thanks. I had the okay-est day ever."

Yay for Okay!

Great! Can't wait to hear all about them. :)

Well you've heard about one of them on the other TR.....

Right. And that's why it'd get old.

"Bon appetit"
"Actually my 'appetit' is fine... the food... not so much."

Yeah, but it wasn't worth explaining.

Camouflage. He'll sneak up on you when you're not looking and bam! You've just bought yourself a tacky souvenir.

I think he wasn't in the souvenir trade.... :rolleyes1

Yikes! People with balance issues or limited mobility are going to get... probably hurt.

People with mobility issues really shouldn't be traveling in Egypt. Most places are dangerous.

Huh. Never thought of it that way.

Well if you think about it, only people of average or above average means would bother taking the time become a photo geek. Super rich people can't be bothered with such idle times.

Fun that you got to do that. :)

Some places you pay for such a ride, we just had to tip the driver!

Your trip reports are fantastic, you do such a wonderful job with them. I have now spent my Saturday in Egypt with you and have enjoyed it very much!

I'm glad you enjoyed it! Check back again in about a month you can finish the trip in one weekend!

We had just rode on a horse and buggy to the Edfu Temple. We already had our tickets so all we had to do was face the gauntlet that is the bazaar.

q23EGY1101NRC23.jpg

q23EGY1101NRC24.jpg

The reason that I really don’t have pictures of the bazaar is that I just would put my head down and power through it. If I did something like take pictures while walking through it, I might give the shopkeepers the idea that I was interested in their wares, and then they would hound me relentlessly until I bought something, so I just powered through.

We escaped unscathed and proceeded through the turnstiles.

q23EGY1101NRC25.jpg

The Temple of Edfu is an Egyptian temple located on the west bank of the Nile in Edfu, Upper Egypt. It is one of the best preserved shrines in Egypt. The temple was built in the Ptolemaic Kingdom between 237 and 57 BC. The inscriptions on its walls provide important information on language, myth and religion during the Hellenistic period in Egypt.

q23EGY1101NRC26.jpg

Over the centuries, the temple became buried to a depth of 12 metres (39 ft) beneath drifting desert sand and layers of river silt deposited by the Nile. Local inhabitants built homes directly over the former temple grounds. Only the upper reaches of the temple pylons were visible by 1798, when the temple was identified by a French expedition. In 1860 Auguste Mariette, a French Egyptologist, began the work of freeing Edfu temple from the sands.

There were people living almost right on top of the temple in mud brick houses. When the discovery of the temple was made, the people were relocated so that the excavations could begin. You can see some of those mud huts that still remain in the upper right of this picture.

q23EGY1101NRC27.JPG

The creation myth of the temple of Edfu consists of several related scenes, which are found primarily, but not exclusively, on the inside of the perimeter walls of the temple. Horus is the main god who is honored here, and every year Hathor traveled South from her temple at Dendera to visit Horus at Edfu, and this event marking their sacred marriage was the occasion of a great festival and pilgrimage.

Before we actually entered the Temple Mohammed took a great deal of time to talk about the story of Isis and Osiris. How Seth killed Osiris and scattered his body parts around Egypt. And how Isis found all but his male part. There was something in there about the gods impregnating her to give birth to Horus, and this being a Temple to Horus the Falcon God. He was a God because he doesn't close his eyes, so he never sleeps and sees all, something else, and because he protects his parents. There are also "important scenes and inscriptions of the Sacred Drama which related the age-old conflict between Horus and Seth.

q23EGY1101NRC28.jpg

Notice the crowns on the Gods in the right side of the picture. That is called the Double Crown of Egypt. You will see that in a later chapter as well. The bottom part of the crown which resembles a bowl or some sort of receptacle is the Red Deshret Crown of Lower Egypt. The part that sort of resembles a bowling pin is the White Hedjet Crown of Upper Egypt.

q23EGY1101NRC29.JPG

q23EGY1101NRC30.JPG

Here is a statue of the Falcon God Horus as you enter the Temple.

q23EGY1101NRC31.JPG

This is inside the courtyard.

q23EGY1101NRC32.jpg

Here is another statue of Horus as you pass through the courtyard into the actual Temple.

q23EGY1101NRC33.jpg

Beyond the courtyard is a Hypostyle hall also known as the Court of Offerings. It is here where two black granite statues of Horus stand. One statue no longer has legs and lies on the ground. The other statue stands ten feet tall and is a popular photo opportunity for tourists.

q23EGY1101NRC34.jpg

He showed us "the first wifi".

q23EGY1101NRC35.jpg

The first air conditioning vent, I know it’s hard to see, but there is a little vent in the side of the Temple which allows the outside air into the Temple. It’s very stuffy inside and even without global warming, I’m sure it was hot most of the year back then.

q23EGY1101NRC36.JPG

I’m not sure what this boat relic is, but it shows up on the all the places when you Google Edfu.

q23EGY1101NRC38.JPG

We took some pictures of other stuff and then he took this picture of us with one of the Falcons.

q23EGY1101NRC39.jpg

Then we headed back out.

q23EGY1101NRC40.JPG

q23EGY1101NRC41.JPG

And we are back on the horse and buggy cart. Here’s some more city pictures

q23EGY1101NRC42.jpg

q23EGY1101NRC43.jpg

q23EGY1101NRC44.JPG

q23EGY1101NRC45.JPG

q23EGY1101NRC46.JPG

I took some videos so you could see and hear the sounds of the city. I believe he said it was about 700,000 people and was largely dependent on agriculture.

And then we were back to the waterfront.

q23EGY1101NRC47.JPG

q23EGY1101NRC48.JPG

We were running out of money, but there was an ATM on the dock area. Unfortunately the screen was broken. I could barely make it out, but Jill navigated her way through and was able to get me about 2000LE or about $60.

So here’s a blurry picture of the card that they gave us when we got off the ship. We had to turn it back in when we got back on, and I guess they counted the number of cards to make sure all passengers were accounted for.

q23EGY1101NRC49.jpg

Going to wrap it up here.

Up Next: The High & Dry Paradox

Hi Alison
I have been reading along and I still think about Star Gate when I see your pictures and hear about the Gods and their temples.
Looks like you had a better guide this time. Did they travel on the ship with you as you went from port to port?
I have to ask what the chairs that were all set up were for?
q23EGY1101NRC28.jpg

Notice the crowns on the Gods in the right side of the picture. That is called the Double Crown of Egypt. You will see that in a later chapter as well. The bottom part of the crown which resembles a bowl or some sort of receptacle is the Red Deshret Crown of Lower Egypt. The part that sort of resembles a bowling pin is the White Hedjet Crown of Upper Egypt.

Well....I always wondered..... :lmao:
:laughing:
Yay for Okay!
:thumbsup2
Well you've heard about one of them on the other TR.....
::yes::
Yeah, but it wasn't worth explaining.
No, I suppose not.
Well if you think about it, only people of average or above average means would bother taking the time become a photo geek. Super rich people can't be bothered with such idle times.
You think so? Then I don't wanna be super rich.

Oh, wait... yes I do.

all we had to do was face the gauntlet that is the bazaar.
Now before I read further, I thought to myself "Just keep your head down and bull your way through it."....
The reason that I really don’t have pictures of the bazaar is that I just would put my head down and power through it.
And here you did exactly that! :laughing:
It is one of the best preserved shrines in Egypt.
Cool!
I guess that's a combination of it's (relatively speaking) young age and being buried under sand to help preserve it.
The temple was built in the Ptolemaic Kingdom between 237 and 57 BC.
Relatively young... compared to some of the other sites you've seen.
Over the centuries, the temple became buried to a depth of 12 metres (39 ft) beneath drifting desert sand and layers of river silt deposited by the Nile.
That's... really amazing, isn't it? I mean... can you imagine the home you live in now being under 40 ft of sand??
You can see some of those mud huts that still remain in the upper right of this picture.
Still there!! Fascinating!
Here is a statue of the Falcon God Horus as you enter the Temple.
I found it interesting that there seems to be a smaller human figure standing between the feet.
Here is another statue of Horus as you pass through the courtyard into the actual Temple.
Was going to ask how tall it was, but saw you posed with it later. :)
He showed us "the first wifi".
First we got butt shots... now we come around to the other side of the equation...
Heh. Did you feel safe to take this shot because the vendors are on the other side of the fence?
Horses provided with shade. That's good.
I took some videos so you could see and hear the sounds of the city.
So noisy! But I guess you get used to it. That other horse drawn carriage in the 2nd video... They must've tipped to get there quick.
So here’s a blurry picture of the card that they gave us when we got off the ship. We had to turn it back in when we got back on, and I guess they counted the number of cards to make sure all passengers were accounted for.
Mentioned this before. Good way for people to get on and off. Low-tech... but works.

I have been reading along and I still think about Star Gate when I see your pictures and hear about the Gods and their temples.

That's so funny, I don't remember Star Gate having a lot of gods and such. Then again I don't remember much about Star Gate at all and I watched every episode of both versions.

Looks like you had a better guide this time. Did they travel on the ship with you as you went from port to port?

This guy was definitely our favorite. He did not travel on the ship with us. He actually lived in Kom Ombo, the next stop on our cruise. He drove up to Edfu, met us at the ship, and then drove back home to Kom Ombo. He was able to take a nap, and be completely refreshed when he met us that evening. He also said that he lived right next to the Temple where the ships docked, so it was only a 10 minute walk for him. He could see the ships from his place.

I have to ask what the chairs that were all set up were for?

Evidently they did some sort of light show on the temple at nights. Things like this would make it interesting for a return trip where we did not sail on the ships, but stayed on the cities on the banks, instead.

You think so? Then I don't wanna be super rich.

Oh, wait... yes I do.
I would be happy being comfortably rich.
Now before I read further, I thought to myself "Just keep your head down and bull your way through it."....
I was going to say, "that's exactly what we did!"
And here you did exactly that! :laughing:
But you said it here!
Cool!
I guess that's a combination of it's (relatively speaking) young age and being buried under sand to help preserve it.
Sounds about right.
Relatively young... compared to some of the other sites you've seen.
Definitely compared to some of the things that were over 2000 years older than that.
That's... really amazing, isn't it? I mean... can you imagine the home you live in now being under 40 ft of sand??
Well, yes I can. From the amount of dirt that gathers on my Tiki bar in the six months of cool weather we have between pool parties, imagine that compounded over millions of years.
Still there!! Fascinating!
I found it interesting that there seems to be a smaller human figure standing between the feet.
You see that a lot. When we get to the next day, I think I actually comment on it.
Was going to ask how tall it was, but saw you posed with it later. :)
Glad I could answer your questions before you ask them. :teeth:
First we got butt shots... now we come around to the other side of the equation...
:sad2: You would point that out.......
Heh. Did you feel safe to take this shot because the vendors are on the other side of the fence?
Yup, if they wanted to chase me they would have to either jump the fence or go all the way around it.
Horses provided with shade. That's good.
For the most part I think they treated the animals well. Especially the working ones.
So noisy! But I guess you get used to it. That other horse drawn carriage in the 2nd video... They must've tipped to get there quick.
Yeah, I got used to it. When I watched that video again, I was like, "Wow, I forgot how crazy noisy it got!" And I'm sure they did!
Mentioned this before. Good way for people to get on and off. Low-tech... but works.

Yup. There was a lot of low tech there, but it did work.

We were back on the boat by 11AM and we would sail to Kom Ombu at 11:30. Mohammed lives in Kon Ombu about 800 meters from where the boats dock, so he said he would meet us at 5PM when we docked.

When we got back on the ship, Jill and I stopped at the bar. We wanted cold water and she wanted a Coke. As soon as one of the bartenders saw me he said, "White Wine?" Uh-oh I seem to be getting a reputation around here! I told him that we needed to tour Kom Ombu later today so not right now. He prepared a tray with three glasses, the 1.5l bottle of water, and the coke, and he carried it all to our room. He said we could sign later, but we never really did. We wondered if this would all catch up to us in the end when we got our final bill. Then again large waters were like $1.50, cokes were about $2, and a glass of white wine was just under 5 bucks. Not a huge amount.

A look out our window before we left the dock.

q23EGY1101NRC50.jpg

Lunch today was at 1PM. When we got back to the room, the cabin steward had not cleaned it yet. I tried to work on the TR on my phone, but my eyelids kept drooping. After around 20 minutes of fighting it I gave up. I had a big glass of the water and climbed under the covers. Just then the cabin steward knocked on the door. Jill let him clean the room. He changed her bottom sheet, but I just stayed in the bed saying it was fine. At around 12:20 I noted the time and the next thing I knew Jill was telling me it was 1:00 and time for lunch. I must have had a power nap.

I was a bit groggy when I got to the dining room. The head waiter was trying to get me a glass of wine (I really must be getting a reputation!), but I told him that we were touring Kom Ombu this evening and needed my wits. I also told him that I'd just woken up from a nap. That seemed to get him to back off.

q23EGY1101NRC51.jpg

Lunch today was an interesting take on American style food. When we entered the dining room they had an assortment of what must have been the Egyptian take on sushi. I wasn't so sure about that.

q23EGY1101NRC52.jpg

They were serving a vegetable soup, and since all the soups previously had been good, I started with that. At least I would get my veggies for this meal.

q23EGY1101NRC53.jpg

They brought us this special juice. I tasted melon in the top part and mango in the bottom. Jill concurred.

q23EGY1101NRC54.jpg

Jill went with the burger bar and fries.

q23EGY1101NRC56.jpg

I decided to try some of the head on shrimps, a little barbecue chicken, and some plain rice. I ate one of the shrimps, but I had to cut off half of it because they didn't devein it before cooking. When I checked the second one, I just couldn't. There was way too much left inside and it just grossed me out. The chicken was good, and there weren't any strange spices in the sauce.

q23EGY1101NRC55.jpg

They had another pasta bar so I thought I'd give it another whirl. This time instead of Penne it was spaghetti. I had him put in two scoops of tomatoes and two scoops of sauce. This time the "green vegetable" was close enough to the front of the serving table that I could get a good whiff of it. Definitely parsley. The most useless of spices. I rarely use it when its called for in recipes because I don't think it adds anything to the dish flavor wise.

This time it was pretty tasty.

q23EGY1101NRC57.jpg

Jill got herself another helping of fries and they were just out of the fryer. She said they were very tasty.

We went back up to the room. By now we had several hours to kill. It wasn't even 2PM yet. I got the computer out and transferred all the pictures from Jill's phone to the computer. I'd been doing this periodically throughout the trip. A lot of times she got better photos of things than I did, or maybe a better perspective if the same shot.

Here’s a shot I took out the window of our room.

q23EGY1101NRC58.jpg

I decided this was a good time to take pictures of the bills in case you are curious about what they look like.

q23EGY1101NRC59.jpg

These were the standard bills you gave to get TP in the potty or for pictures in the tomb.

q23EGY1101NRC60.jpg

q23EGY1101NRC61.jpg

At this point we were I'm such a rural area that what little internet we'd had earlier in the day was basically non-existent. The only thing I could do was choose the pictures for the upcoming chapters and resize them.

I believe it was during this time in the room that we were texting with Fayed on her Egyptian Sim Phone. He told us that for the trip to Abu-Simbel the following day he needed our passports. No problem, Jill had both *.pdf and *.jpg versions of them on her phone.

Then we verified that on Friday after we got off the ship we would be seeing the Philae Temple.

"No, tomorrow. Abu-Simbel in the morning, Philae Temple in the afternoon."

OK. What?

So what are we doing on Friday then? They kick us off the boat at 8AM and our flight to Cairo isn't until 5PM. What the heck are we going to do from 8AM to 3PM (when we have to be at the airport)?

We had expected to put our luggage in a van from the company, drive around to see the Temple. Our itinerary said that both breakfast and lunch were to be provided, so we would hit a Cafe for lunch, and then they would take us to the airport. With this new plan, what were we supposed to do? Hitch a ride to the airport and sit there with our luggage until we could check it?

Obviously this guy moved the schedule around so he had Friday off. I'm beginning to see a pattern with these Muslim guides. They don't want to work on their "day of rest". Understandable. But don't leave us hanging like this!

Jill texted the owner of the company on WhatsApp and explained the situation. She said either find us a tour and a guide or get us a flight to Cairo. He said that the flight to Cairo would cost extra. He didn’t offer an option for another tour or guide. So we asked how much?

In my head I said a figure of $50 would totally be worth it not to be stuck in Aswan at the airport all day. Throughout the trip Jill and I had been doing this, coming up with figures in each of our heads and then when we would ask things like, "How much do you think we should tip the guide?" "Tip the driver?" We were usually within $5-$10 of each other. So when Mahmoud came back with $94 for both of us to not spend the day sitting in the Aswan airport, we were all over it.

Our hotel in Cairo is part of the Domestic terminal at the Cairo airport. It's the only non-smoking hotel in Cairo. It has a pool, and a Chinese restaurant. I'm sure it has a bar. And even if the room isn't ready when we get there, Bell Services will hold our bags so we can do something else until it is ready.

The only catch, there were only two flights with availability. Remember how many boats were sailing down the river? One flight left at 8AM and one at 4PM. The one at 4PM doesn't help us out much, so 8AM it was! There were plenty of other flights throughout the day, but they were all fully booked! What's another early morning in the scheme of things? Besides, we have to be at the International terminal at 4:15AM Saturday morning to fly home to the states, at least with the 8AM flight we can go to bed super early Friday night and hope to get some sleep!

So with this problem solved we still had plenty of time before we docked in Kom Ombo so I kept plugging away at picture editing and finished editing the pictures for update #4.

Since I had unlocked my phone, I thought it might be nice to check-in with my Mom. I was already paying for the roaming. Why not get the most of it? At 4:15 (7:15AM Pacific time) I texted mom to see if she was awake. She responded back, so I gave her a call. It was nice to chat with her after being gone so long. I ended the call just before 5PM thinking that we would be docking soon. Our side of the ship didn't show any sign of civilization so I decided to go to the bar, which has windows on both sides. I wished I'd brought my phone. The sun was just setting, and by the time I'd run back to the room and grabbed it, I pretty much missed it. There was no sign of civilization on that side of the ship.

q23EGY1101NRC62.jpg

Jill had been charting our progress on Google Maps and before I left the room she showed me a bend in the river that we were approaching. I went up to the top deck and I could indeed see the bend in the river. I sent her a message on WhatsApp (internet service had improved) that I was up top and she joined me.

q23EGY1101NRC63.jpg

q23EGY1101NRC64.jpg

q23EGY1101NRC65.jpg

All those boats beat us here…..

q23EGY1101NRC66.jpg

The sun had completely set while we were pulling into our docking spot.

q23EGY1101NRC67.jpg

I don’t think I’ve posted any pictures of the halls where the staterooms are located. Good thing they have enough fire extinguishers!

q23EGY1101NRC68.jpg

Oh good! There is another bazaar!

q23EGY1101NRC69.jpg

I think that it’s best I leave off here for now.

Up Next: Mummified Crocodiles and deified lamb …. Oh My!

Finally caught up! I just loved the temples. You got amazing pics!

I would be happy being comfortably rich.
Okay, fine. I'll settle for merely comfortably rich.
I was going to say, "that's exactly what we did!"
Well, yes I can. From the amount of dirt that gathers on my Tiki bar in the six months of cool weather we have between pool parties, imagine that compounded over millions of years.
Wait around and see!
You see that a lot. When we get to the next day, I think I actually comment on it.
Oh, yeah? Standing by... popcorn::
Glad I could answer your questions before you ask them. :teeth:
How very anticipatory of you!
:sad2: You would point that out.......
:rolleyes1
For the most part I think they treated the animals well. Especially the working ones.
If your livelihood depends on them... you'd better!
You should anyways, but...

At around 12:20 I noted the time and the next thing I knew Jill was telling me it was 1:00 and time for lunch. I must have had a power nap.
She was OUT! We both needed the sleep....our sleep had not been great and a lot of early mornings this trip!
Jill went with the burger bar and fries.
It wasn't too bad...but the McD's in Cairo was so much better!
"No, tomorrow. Abu-Simbel in the morning, Philae Temple in the afternoon."

OK. What?

So what are we doing on Friday then? They kick us off the boat at 8AM and our flight to Cairo isn't until 5PM. What the heck are we going to do from 8AM to 3PM (when we have to be at the airport)?

We had expected to put our luggage in a van from the company, drive around to see the Temple. Our itinerary said that both breakfast and lunch were to be provided, so we would hit a Cafe for lunch, and then they would take us to the airport. With this new plan, what were we supposed to do? Hitch a ride to the airport and sit there with our luggage until we could check it?

Obviously this guy moved the schedule around so he had Friday off. I'm beginning to see a pattern with these Muslim guides. They don't want to work on their "day of rest". Understandable. But don't leave us hanging like this!
I was less than pleased but we were between a rock and a hard place. Luckily the price wasn't awful so it made it an easy decision to switch flights. We would find out the Aussie couple on our combined tour was in the same boat. If Fayed hadn't been my least favorite guide at this point, he would have moved to the bottom of the list.

Jill in CO

we would sail to Kom Ombu
For some reason, this made me think of first Timbuktu and then Kathmandu.
As soon as one of the bartenders saw me he said, "White Wine?" Uh-oh I seem to be getting a reputation around here!
At around 12:20 I noted the time and the next thing I knew Jill was telling me it was 1:00 and time for lunch. I must have had a power nap.
:cat:
The head waiter was trying to get me a glass of wine (I really must be getting a reputation!)
:lmao:
Word has gotten out!
they had an assortment of what must have been the Egyptian take on sushi. I wasn't so sure about that.
Yeah... given everything you've said... I'd be a tad leery as well.
They brought us this special juice. I tasted melon in the top part and mango in the bottom. Jill concurred.
That sounds good!
I ate one of the shrimps, but I had to cut off half of it because they didn't devein it before cooking.
I wondered... since it won't hurt you, I wonder if they just don't do it in that part of the world?
parsley. The most useless of spices.
I totally agree. All it does is add a green colour splash to a plate. That's it.
This time it was pretty tasty.
It actually looks pretty good.
A lot of times she got better photos of things than I did, or maybe a better perspective if the same shot.
I have experienced that. I'll take a photo standing beside someone else and the perspective or focal point is completely different.
I decided this was a good time to take pictures of the bills in case you are curious about what they look like.
And have a good printer.

oops! Did I say that?
What the heck are we going to do from 8AM to 3PM (when we have to be at the airport)?
Skydiving?
Obviously this guy moved the schedule around so he had Friday off. I'm beginning to see a pattern with these Muslim guides.
Ah.
In my head I said a figure of $50 would totally be worth it not to be stuck in Aswan at the airport all day. Throughout the trip Jill and I had been doing this, coming up with figures in each of our heads and then when we would ask things like, "How much do you think we should tip the guide?" "Tip the driver?" We were usually within $5-$10 of each other.
That's good. I could see that it might be frustrating if you were widely different in your estimates.
I don’t think I’ve posted any pictures of the halls where the staterooms are located.
I don't know what I was expecting, but it wasn't that.
Oh good! There is another bazaar!
Going to go?

;)
If Fayed hadn't been my least favorite guide at this point, he would have moved to the bottom of the list.
:mad:

I’m all caught up, the history and the temples amazing.
The food does not look the best on the cruise, ugh!
I laughed when I saw the shrimp cocktail what was that? :rotfl:
The wine looks good, haha 😆 I would be enjoying that with the soup and bread.
Looking forward to hearing about your last few days!

She was OUT! We both needed the sleep....our sleep had not been great and a lot of early mornings this trip!

:laughing: I don't remember a thing, so I must have been out!

It wasn't too bad...but the McD's in Cairo was so much better!

I was dubious about a burger on the ship when so much of the other food was sub par.

I was less than pleased but we were between a rock and a hard place. Luckily the price wasn't awful so it made it an easy decision to switch flights.

It ended up being worth every penny.

We would find out the Aussie couple on our combined tour was in the same boat.

I mention this in the next update, I felt bad for them.

If Fayed hadn't been my least favorite guide at this point, he would have moved to the bottom of the list.

Yeah, could there be something lower than the bottom of the list?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter