The Wonder in Alaska the last Frontier Completed 10-09-22

And Juneau what the heck!!!! :( Is there a reason for this it takes a lot of work to do these reports!

Last Night BOOO but with special guests
So sorry for the delay sometimes life gets in the way! I left off DH and I packed up our room and by now it was around 3 and it was like someone flipped a switch the seas calmed and the weather cleared up. We enjoyed some verandah time. At 4:30 I went to go get in line for Goofy little girls were supposed to meet me there from the club but I was stood up! Goofy felt bad for me and gave me a thumbs up lol. At 5 I went and picked up the girls. They were so sad to leave the club they made some nice friends this trip plus the club was not busy at all seemed like not a lot of kids in their age group mostly teens. Two of the counselors gushed over the girls and how helpful they were to younger kids and during crafts. They said they were really going to miss them. They probably tell every mom this but it made me feel good. We returned the bands and I immediately saw the credit go back on our account. They had done a ton of crafts and said they wanted to give them to the CMS. We went and said goodbye to Captain Mickey and the girls gave him a rainbow they made so cute! We then heard their were Orcas outside and we ran out to deck 4 and caught them in the last frolic away! DD1 goes my life's wish came true! Stopped by guest services one more time and no lost pin had been turned in :(.

Time for dinner. It was the Captains Gala menu not my favorite. The girls gave I'Gede and Ronald drawings and they were so happy we also found out it I'gede last night as he would be leaving to go home tomorrow. DH got the reginal inspiration salmon soup and he said it was the best soup he has ever had! The marinated tiger shrimp, lobster, and reginal inspiration strawberry bread pudding for dessert. He meal was phenomenal.
1665336784960.png

1665336804715.png
1665336819343.png
1665336831694.png
My biggest tip I can give you order the reginal menu items! I did not get an app but the snapper and it was the worst dish I've ever had! I could not eat it.
1665336942177.png
In contrast I don't think this picture posted but was from night 2 in Tianas the regninal inspration Bering sea halibut sooooo good.
1665337009367.png
Ronald saw I was sharing with the girls who had gotten the chicken fettuccini and wanted to go get me my own. I told him no I was full and I did not want to waste it. It was very very good and I'm picky about my pasta having a grandmother and mother who are from Italy.
1665337127015.png
Sorry I'Gede was so fast cutting and little girls were hungry. I will be getting this again. Then the three girls got my favorite dessert Chocolate Lava cake!!!! It did not disappoint. I wonder what brand of ice cream they get on board it's really good.
1665337296382.png
We then gave our guys their tip envelopes the girls decorated the outside of them.
1665337379286.png
We gave everyone including Steve extra cash. We wished I'Gede safe travels and then went to say goodbye to some of our other favorite CMs and give out artwork. Then the most magical thing happened outside on deck 4
1665337505318.png
I almost dropped my phone in the ocean! Then Minnie came out! Next post

1665337592926.png
This was so magical and she waved to the girls and it is something I will never forget. I snapped this quick then went to video. DH went to the hot tub and we went to Dreams the girls loved it. We also had to go to the shops because the girls had money left and heaven forbid they save it! One got a Alaska Minnie the other a Pluto hat which is adorable on her lol. They still had some Alaskan Hoodies and I'm kicking myself for not getting one now they had mediums, larger, and XL! It was such a wonderful cruise and going back to the room we were all a little sad.
1665337815429.png
This guys was so cute! We put our bags out (NEVER AGAIN) and asked Grenville if we could go to breakfast in the morning and come back and grab our carry on. He said of course. I did not sleep well this last night I always get a little nervous about traveling. I woke up at 6:00 and looked out and thought it was odd it still seemed were in the middle of the ocean. Turns out there was a little strike that was blocking things up.
1665338199858.png
We went to breakfast and I'Gede was gone and Jordan was filling in for him. Everything was good except for one of the girls Belgium waffle it was inedible according to my husband. Breakfast was sad and Ronald and Steve asked us to please if we ever cruise again to ask if they are onboard so they can be with us again. Steve also told us he would be on the Wonder when it goes to his home Country and winked lol Australia! We finished breakfast and we still had not docked yet from our verandah at 7:30
1665338354265.png
1665338389169.png
We used the bathroom one last time and checked over room obviously not good enough we left a shoe and nightlight behind! We went to wait in the atrium for our tag to be called. I was sad we did not see Greenville to say goodbye he was DHs buddy keeping the ice filled for his beer!
1665338503586.png
We waited and we waited and we waited finally at 9am our tags were called! We walked off and I got a call from KJ limo I thought they were upset since I had said a 9am pickup time but they were calling because they were running late the driver accidently went to the Pacific Rim instead of the port. All we did was hand them our custom paper and that was it we were out of the building at 9:10. When you do a pickup like we did you must go to the podium and give the person your name and then they call the car and they come and get you. KJ was 120 USD including tax and tip to drop us off at the airport. Our driver told us the day before the airport was a mess as 150 workers called in because their contract had not gone through yet. We braced ourselves. We go to the airport at 10 and were through security and US customs by 11:45. We were flying home United first class our flight was at 2pm so we went to the lounge which they share with air Canada the entrance it right before Timmys girls wanted to bring donuts home and I did not want to wait in the massive line. The lounge was really nice the best was when a random older gentleman took out his trumpet and played O Canada. Funny our neighbors at dinner were there and it turns out they were on the same flight and sitting right behind us. Our fight was a little late leaving because they could not get the 1970's hatch to the luggage to close this was a really old plane! We got lunch of chicken orzo it was pretty good the girls loved it and at everything. This worked out since we had exactly 1 hour for our connecting flight not time for food.
1665338967612.png
Of course we get to Ohare we taxi forever and then have to wait at the gate the girls were crying we weren't going to get home. Our Disney cruise friends behind us calmed them down and said yes we would. Luckily our connecting gate was right across from where we landed! When does tat ever happen! Also they let us off the plane first and we made it with 10mins to spare but only because they were waiting on a flight attendant! We landed in Syracuse and had to wait forever for our luggage! I also may or may not have backed into a cement pillar in the parking garage just a little scratch DH has not noticed. yet.... Then poor DD2 gets car sick on the way home good thing I always have zip lock bags with me! We pulled into the driveway at 3am tired but so happy and grateful for this experience.

Just so wrap up thoughts. This was a pricy vacation almost 4x what DH and I spent on our honeymoon 13 years ago. However, it was all totally worth it! These memories will last a lifetime Even DH who hates to travel and does it for me said he would go back again. I think we are in a sweet spot age wise with the girls too. They enjoyed this cruise sooooooo much more than when we went the last time. Originally we were thinking of waiting until 2024 but decided we wanted to not wait that long and booked a 5n double dip on the magic in August 2023 with our placeholder this will also allow us to do Yellowstone in June and we will hope for a good Europe itinerary for 2024. I hope this was helpful and feel free to ask questions.

Fogaugust 25 Skagway To the Puppies

We were up early this am! I got ready for our room service breakfast that was delivered promptly at 6:05am I got cereal, bagels I liked that the wrapped them in linen napkins to keep them warm and the Philadelphia cream cheese, OJ, hot chocolate for the girls which was Swiss miss packets, and a bowl of fruit. I went up to the cove at 6:25 and was first in line and got coffee and chocolate croissants. We finished this up and headed out at 6:50 we had to hunt for where to get off the ship it was not clearly marked.
View attachment 699454
View from Verandah
View attachment 699456
DH could not believe that they were using the life boats to tender people to the dock because of the rock slide
View attachment 699457
From the Verhandah not sure how much that net will hold back.
View attachment 699458
Yummy Special K girls had fruit loops.
For those that read my pre trip report I had booked a sled dog through Akaska shore excursions and the Klondike breakfast thought DCL. Well I joined an info group on another site and a lady who did the sled dogs was kind enough to post a video and photos of what the bus ride and unimog up the mountain was like. I knew my family would not be interested in this. I then contacted Sherry Corrington at Skagway Private tours and let me tell you she truly is a lover of her Alaskan land and very kind person. She was a bit more than I wanted to spend but she said rent a car trust me it’s very easy to do what you want to do. So I rented through Avis and thanks to Timon I knew right where to go when we got off the ship. The young man who grew up in Skagway informed me they did have smaller SUVs available because when I booked it just gave me one choice a 4 Runner and he could save me some money cool! I got a Jeep Cherokee I did opt for the extra insurance which probably was not need total cam to 320 USD. It was a nice car although had some scrapes on the passenger bumper that I made sure to point out while he was doing the video of it. He also warned me of rough weather through the pass and not to get to close to cars because rocks get kicked up. He gave me a print out of the car info (hint I stuffed this in my bag should have kept it handy). Girls climbed in the back and were excited heated leather seats not like Mommy’s car at home. Also the girls finally got tall enough and weighed enough to say goodbye to their boosters this spring! That’s when you know you’ve made it as a parent!

Left hand turn out of Avis and then through the rest of town and onto the highway. I did have Murrays Guide and DH was my co-piolet. Also I made a special car bingo for girls so they were eagerly looking for bears, border crossings, suspension bridges, rivers, waterfalls, and much more! We lost cell phone service pretty quick. I have AT&T and DH Verizon (I know his is through work and mine is cheap). Overall my phone was better serviced in Alaska. Let me tell you the weather was scary so foggy I could barely see anything on the road. The plan was head right to Tutshi Dog Sled camp and make stops on the way back and hope the weather cleared like I read in another report :).
We are doing this same drive with our 11 and 8 year old. Any chance you still have that bingo card you made??!!

THANK YOU!!!!
I apologize I don’t have the bingo cards saved :(. I used a free bingo template maker (google it) I put in words like waterfall, train track, welcome to Alaska sign, Alaskan puppies, desert, general store, Yukon sign, suspension bridge, brown bear, rock formation, mining equipment, lake, playground, and I added a couple others using Murray’s guide of things I knew we would see. Attached is the animal one I made. I’m going to continue to search through my files I know it’s someplace!

Attachments

• 7D7D92D3-FF1E-4DC3-B696-160ECE3EA07F.jpeg
    7D7D92D3-FF1E-4DC3-B696-160ECE3EA07F.jpeg
    44.2 KB · Views: 9
I apologize I don’t have the bingo cards saved :(. I used a free bingo template maker (google it) I put in words like waterfall, train track, welcome to Alaska sign, Alaskan puppies, desert, general store, Yukon sign, suspension bridge, brown bear, rock formation, mining equipment, lake, playground, and I added a couple others using Murray’s guide of things I knew we would see. Attached is the animal one I made. I’m going to continue to search through my files I know it’s someplace!
This alone is super helpful! I am sure I can manage to make one! Such a great idea!

Wonderful report! Thanks so much for sharing.

We sailed Alaska in 2017 and have booked to go back again next summer. Based on your report, I contacted Rum Runner Charters today to book whale watching in Juneau. Can’t wait!

Wonderful report! Thanks so much for sharing.

We sailed Alaska in 2017 and have booked to go back again next summer. Based on your report, I contacted Rum Runner Charters today to book whale watching in Juneau. Can’t wait!
Thank you! Our day with them was one of the best family memories we have. A year later we still talk about it. You will have an amazing time they are just great people!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter