The worst feeling of all in Disney

eleven24

DVC AKV 2007
So there we are, my son and I all sprayed with sunscreen & our gameplan set to get in as many things as we can. Grab something to eat, a couple bottles of water out of the refrig, and we're ready to go.

Twist the handle, open the door. Hear that familiar click followed by the sound of air rushing in and... wait, what just fluttered in my peripheral vision? What is this magical, fluttering piece of paper twirling in the breeze of the opening door?

It is in that moment, before the white envelope on a string returns to rest against the door that reality sets in. Through my head ran the images of a man dressed in a cloak who moved with the stealthiness of a ninja through the hallway to our door as we slept. My son, standing there as if every bit of air escaped his lungs almost begs me without speaking to not look at it. Ignore it.

But we both know what it is.

In an instant I slid it off the handle, took a stride into the room and left it on the counter. No need to look at the envelope's contents. No need to verify what it says. Let's just go enjoy our last day at the park.

As we walked down the hall of BLT not a word was said. It wasn't until after we heard our door latch click as it closed behind us that my 16 year old son turned to me and said "I hate that envelope".

"Me too", I say. "Me too".

So there we are, my son and I all sprayed with sunscreen & our gameplan set to get in as many things as we can. Grab something to eat, a couple bottles of water out of the refrig, and we're ready to go.

Twist the handle, open the door. Hear that familiar click followed by the sound of air rushing in and... wait, what just fluttered in my peripheral vision? What is this magical, fluttering piece of paper twirling in the breeze of the opening door?

It is in that moment, before the white envelope on a string returns to rest against the door that reality sets in. Through my head ran the images of a man dressed in a cloak who moved with the stealthiness of a ninja through the hallway to our door as we slept. My son, standing there as if every bit of air escaped his lungs almost begs me without speaking to not look at it. Ignore it.

But we both know what it is.

In an instant I slid it off the handle, took a stride into the room and left it on the counter. No need to look at the envelope's contents. No need to verify what it says. Let's just go enjoy our last day at the park.

As we walked down the hall of BLT not a word was said. It wasn't until after we heard our door latch click as it closed behind us that my 16 year old son turned to me and said "I hate that envelope".

"Me too", I say. "Me too".
Well put! That's exactly how I felt a few weeks ago when on our last day at Grand Floridian!

As to add insult to injury there's also having to see the newly arrived people rushing to the DME line filled with excitement to get on the bus we just got off of.

It's the Circle of "Disney" Life, I guess. But in that moment it's certainly not Hakuna Matata.

It's the Circle of "Disney" Life, I guess. But in that moment it's certainly not Hakuna Matata.
At the end of the trip it is never Hakuna Matata, but usually Mehava Nodollas

One of the greatest things about DVD to me is that when that day comes, instead of wondering "when will I be back", i usually have my next 2 trips booked!

I honestly thought if a lot worse reading the title , a lost child , sickness etc..
Yes it totally sucks for lack of no better word but we are all so blessed to be able to be on vacation in the first place and even more so as DVC members because we all know we will be back :)

This is how I feel too. But, I do replace my CPAP filter before I go. It absorbs the AKV smells and when I plug it in my first night back home, I close my eyes and.....Nants ingonyama bagithi baba.

Thanks for sharing! Very well written. That’s exactly how my family feels too. We call it “the dreaded envelope” and we call the bus back to MCO “unmagical depress”
At least we can start planning our next vacation......
Have a magical day

At the end of the trip it is never Hakuna Matata, but usually Mehava Nodollas

One of the greatest things about DVD to me is that when that day comes, instead of wondering "when will I be back", i usually have my next 2 trips booked!

We all share that depressing moment at the end of a perfectly good vacation. We, too, are already planning our next trip by that point. I really enjoyed the OP's phrasing; I was preparing myself for a tragic mishap, not the tragical express :) I also really like the "Mehava NoDollas" - This whole thread made me laugh - Thanks all!:goodvibes

My youngest son, age 14 and taller than Mom, actually tears up and needs a moment when that envelope is spied. WDW is in his heart ❤️

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!