Ther perils of a waitlist Newbie

ToddyLu

Welcome aboard explorers- I love Mr. Ray
OK DH and I have decided we want to book a standard AKV room form 11/3-11/10/18. Of course those rooms have spoty availability now on the RAT. I decided to waitlist a full week at Jambo and a full week at Kidani for those dates.

The reason I did a whole week and not a day on either side is this will be on borrowed points. So if I get the full week waitlist they will borrow 88 2018 points into a 2017 UY. Those dates are at the end of my UY ( like three weeks from the end). Right now if I book four consecutive day those points are borrowed…signed…sealed and delivered….if I don’t get a smaller waitlist on either side then I am stuck with a four night reservation…that I have to use….and I mean HAVE TOO.

I am just trying to use the 2018 points I have for the longest stay possible. I felt like if a spelled it out in writing, I could see that just trying for a week at my home resort and hoping someone cancels a whole week would be safer than piecing it together so close to the end of my UY. Of course if we can’t go, then I will live to visit next year…and the year after that… and the year after that

DH is retiring in March and I turn 50 in November. Still within my home resort booking window and gone are the days when you could build a semi spontaneous trip with a resort the size of Kidani. So I guess my safest option is to wait til 7 month booking and see what pops up? Maybe I will get it then? DH says, “ I can’t go for just four days…are you crazy?” But I think I want, what I want, when I want it.

Enough of this thinking on a Sunday morning while it rains outside. After 10 years of ownership, I am a pawn on the chessboard of DVC Reservation World. Thanks for letting me rant and preach to the choir.

Yes to those looking at this crazy post...we have a DEC UY.

Is that second weekend the Wine & Dine race? Race weekends now seem to be the toughest.

Not so much a waitlist peril, but a late-in-the-use-year peril. Borrowing points and making waitlist requests that require varying numbers of points are much less risky early in your use year.

I know...but I started a new job with different PTO 1/8/18 and we were waiting on the final go ahead for retirement for DH in March....so life got in the way of my normal 11 month booking at 8 a.m. practice. I couldn't book it in January like I wanted because we weren't sure how things would play out.

Oh, and it is a completely first world problem as we are headed down in May for a week.

That includes a race weekend which is really what makes it difficult. Wishing you luck!

If I could piece together anything, I would, even moving, and then waitlist for something whole. Celebrating your birthday seems like an excellent reason to go.

We made a decision to do Star Wars runDisney in April-like 7 weeks from now, last week.
The RAT had nothing for studios and a spotty night here and there for 1 BR.
Cash reservations were crazy, nothing value or moderate open at all.
We even considered offsite, but logistics of race weekend are difficult if not onsite.

I decided to stalk the RAT. Last Friday, the first and last night we wanted popped up at OKW, the resort we wanted since we have 4 and wanted 2 beds.
At 3:00 PM yesterday, Saturday night opened for a 1 night stay. That night had been waitlisted.

We were able to piece together a race weekend with no RAT availability over the course of about a week less than 2 months out.

Never lose hope.

In your case, I'd book what's open, then waitlist the missing day(s). Waitlisting a whole week will be tougher. I'd also stalk the RAT. I'm in the stalking beats waitlisting fan club.

I booked a Spring Break trip about 3 monts out. My original booking consisted of 7 moves in 11 days. Between stalking and two of my one day waitlists coming through, I am down to one move!

Update: Tonight a bit of stalking paid off. So for about a week there has only been 1 night available at Jambo for my dates. A few minutes ago there were four nights 11/6-11/10. I booked 'em. I then cancelled my two week long waitlists and did a waitlist for 11/4-11/6 and then 11/3 alone. I thought this would give me more chance of getting them. I posted because I knew ya'll would understand my smile.

Update: Tonight a bit of stalking paid off. So for about a week there has only been 1 night available at Jambo for my dates. A few minutes ago there were four nights 11/6-11/10. I booked 'em. I then cancelled my two week long waitlists and did a waitlist for 11/4-11/6 and then 11/3 alone. I thought this would give me more chance of getting them. I posted because I knew ya'll would understand my smile.
We do and wish you luck for the last nights you need. :)

I was able to get 11/4 a couple of nights ago around 10:30....using my cell phone....modern techno and stalking to the rescue.

Now one...more...night...and this is the toughest one yet I think. 11/3, the elusive Saturday of Jersey Week, F&W, 1/2 Marathon, etc. Let's Watch and Wait....will I get it???

Congratulations!

That 's a tough week to get via waitlist/stalking and a perfect example of the kind of stress I bought DVC to get away from, LOL. Enjoy the trip! (And Happy Birthday a few months early). :)

Congratulations!

That 's a tough week to get via waitlist/stalking and a perfect example of the kind of stress I bought DVC to get away from, LOL. Enjoy the trip! (And Happy Birthday a few months early). :)
One member's stress is another member's triumph! Congrats.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter