They Came With Ma & Pa to Escape Mardi Gras! A February 2020 TR * 7/1 Aulani TR Started & Link Posted

Lot's of great character interaction so far this morning. I would imagine y'all saw lots of purple, gold and green this day. My DD made a point of going to French Quarter to take picture with Louis.

What a great interaction with Minnie and Mickey!
It amazes me how much they can communicate without saying a single word!
Your kids seem to have so much fun, the pictures are adorable!! 🥰

It really is incredible how they can do that! It was one of the most fun character interactions and longest "conversations" without the characters able to say any words!!

Great updates. It looks like the family behind you may have been from New Orleans too...lots of purple green and gold on them! It is really hard to explain the parades to people that have never been. My sister makes some dated throws for a few friends in crews...lots of Zulu coconuts and Muse shoes for some reason. :)

Yes, there was SO MUCH purple green & gold happening in the parks!

We don't know anyone who makes throws, but we sure have a TON of them in our house. :rotfl: That's pretty cool though!

Omg that interaction with Mickey & Minnie sounds awesome! I love Mickey's reactions!

Sounds like the morning was off to a successful start!

It was so funny watching Mickey react! The kids really enjoyed that character interaction. They had a blast trying to explain all the stuff we catch at the parades.

Lot's of great character interaction so far this morning. I would imagine y'all saw lots of purple, gold and green this day. My DD made a point of going to French Quarter to take picture with Louis.

Yes, we sure did!! So much Louisiana love all through the week, but of course a TON of it on Tuesday!

That's a great idea to go meet Louis! Never would have even thought of that!!

Day 4 Continued: Tuesday February 25th

After a fantastic meet with Mickey & Minnie, we paused outside to put some sunscreen on now that the sun was really out full force, and DD was a bit grumpy about that.

Our next destination was over to Dinoland USA. We were all pretty excited to check out Donald’s Dino Bash, but maybe DH and I a little more than the kids since we had been looking forward to seeing Scrooge McDuck and Launchpad McQuack!

Before we could pass under the archway into the land, we spotted Kevin walking around!

DD took some coaxing, but she eventually went up to pet her feathers.

After that fun surprise, we continued on into Dinoland for the kids to get some Wilderness Explorer Badges.

While inside one of the shops getting a badge, we heard the music playing outside and saw the characters from the Dino Bash dispersing to their different meet & greet areas. The Donald & Daisy meet had a long line, but we went over to find Chip & Dale and they hardly had anyone back there.

How cute are they in their dinosaur costumes?! They loved the kids’ Mardi Gras beads and pointing out that they were wearing all the same colors.

I don’t think we meant to be, but we were definitely on a character hunt that morning. We went over next to see about meeting Launchpad & Scrooge, but they weren’t quite out yet. A couple of families had already started forming a line, so we joined in. One of those families was the one with the cute baby we had seen at the Mickey & Minnie meet, so I started chatting with her moms and telling them how much we had enjoyed watching her with the characters and how much it reminded me of ours when they were that age. She was just as cute to watch with Scrooge & Launchpad when it was their turn!

While I was chatting at them, DH, DS, and DD were exploring the meet & greet area.

Continued in Next Post...

DS had our smaller camera again and was taking some of his own photos, mostly of the same things DH was taking photos of. Learning from the master!

P2240074
by disneymom1024, on Flickr

P2240076

He did get a cute one of DD!

P2240084

P2240086

Soon, the ducks were out!

Launchpad really liked the ears on DS’s hat that reminded him of the flaps on his own hat.

After a really fun meet, as we walked off we noticed that Launchpad actually has his own little alcove for meet & greets, so maybe he doesn’t always meet with Scrooge? DH stopped to get a couple photos since Launchpad is a family favorite.

Guys, I realize we have been in AK for quite awhile already and have only done ONE attraction! But by now, after a morning full of characters, we were coming up on our first FP+ attraction and that was Dinosaur. Not gonna lie, this is NOT one of my favorites and it actually scares me quite a bit!! I was a bit nervous how DD was going to do, so I did my best to prep her as we walked over there, letting her know it would be loud and dark and possibly be a little scary but that it was just a ride and none of the dinosaurs were real. I was probably trying to remind myself of all of these things just as much as her!! :rotfl:

We were glad to have a FP, because the standby line was pretty long as you can see in the next photo.

Well, DD didn’t cry at the end of the ride, but she definitely looked a little shell shocked! She was definitely a lot braver on this trip than I had expected her to be.

There was a Wilderness Explorer kiosk near the exit, so they enjoyed doing that after, and checking out the dinosaurs that were a little less threatening than the ones inside.

We stopped over at Restaurantosaurus because the kids spotted a pressed penny machine up on the porch, and DS got a glamour shot of his Pluto hat.

Our next FP was for the Kilimanjaro Safari, so we left Dinoland and started making our way over towards Africa, stopping to do some WE kiosks along the way. We also spotted one of the 360 photo spots near the Tree of Life and stopped to do that as well.

Feb 2020 004-084

Feb 2020 004-085

Feb 2020 004-086

Feb 2020 004-087
I think they were learning about dung beetles at this one. Nothing these kids like more than talking about poop and not getting in trouble for it! Lol

Feb 2020 004-088

UP NEXT: On Safari

After a fantastic meet with Mickey & Minnie, we paused outside to put some sunscreen on now that the sun was really out full force, and DD was a bit grumpy about that.

She sure does look grumpy.

We were all pretty excited to check out Donald’s Dino Bash, but maybe DH and I a little more than the kids since we had been looking forward to seeing Scrooge McDuck and Launchpad McQuack!

I love that they have Scrooge McDuck and Lunchpad. My oldest grew up watching them and now the new generation gets to see them.

DD took some coaxing, but she eventually went up to pet her feathers.

What do they feel like? I have yet to see Kevin.

How cute are they in their dinosaur costumes?! They loved the kids’ Mardi Gras beads and pointing out that they were wearing all the same colors.

Chip and Dale are soooo cute. We enjoyed meeting them too.

I don’t think we meant to be, but we were definitely on a character hunt that morning

Our AK morning ended up being a character hunt too.

He did get a cute one of DD!

Great shot!

After a really fun meet, as we walked off we noticed that Launchpad actually has his own little alcove for meet & greets, so maybe he doesn’t always meet with Scrooge? DH stopped to get a couple photos since Launchpad is a family favorite.

I was just think this. When we went we meet Launchpad in his own area.

Well, DD didn’t cry at the end of the ride, but she definitely looked a little shell shocked! She was definitely a lot braver on this trip than I had expected her to be.

She did great! Does she want to ever ride it again? My youngest has been riding it since she was little. As long as she could plug her ears and close her eyes she was ok.

I think they were learning about dung beetles at this one. Nothing these kids like more than talking about poop and not getting in trouble for it! Lol

:rotfl2:I'm really glad they are enjoying these learning experiences so much.

Very cool picture.

Sounds like a great time in Dinoland with more character meets and a ride on Dinosaur (which also isnt one of my favorite haha)!

She sure does look grumpy.

She wears her feelings on her face!! I'm sure she gets that from me!! lol

I love that they have Scrooge McDuck and Lunchpad. My oldest grew up watching them and now the new generation gets to see them.

In our case, DH and I are the ones who grew up watching them, and now we get to share it with our kids! And with Disney+, it's great we get to share the old school shows in addition to the new version. I love that they love it as much as we did.

What do they feel like? I have yet to see Kevin.

He feels SOOOOO soft!!

Chip and Dale are soooo cute. We enjoyed meeting them too.

They really are cute all the time, but in those dinosaur outfits, cuteness overload! The kids had a blast with them.

Our AK morning ended up being a character hunt too.

It's surprisingly easy to end up that way in that park! I don't think of it as much of a character park, and yet everywhere we turned we saw more and more.

She did great! Does she want to ever ride it again? My youngest has been riding it since she was little. As long as she could plug her ears and close her eyes she was ok.

No she didn't!! LOL I was very impressed with her getting through it, but she did say emphatically she did NOT want to do it again. I'm with her on that one, it's not my favorite. DS loves it though!!

:rotfl2:I'm really glad they are enjoying these learning experiences so much.

Right?! Who needs school when you can learn about DUNG in WDW?!

Sounds like a great time in Dinoland with more character meets and a ride on Dinosaur (which also isnt one of my favorite haha)!

I will do Dinosaur for my kids, but I really really hate it! It scares me so much!! :rotfl:

After a fun morning character hunting, we were ready to go use our next FP of the day at the Kilimanjaro Safari.

We knew Mardi Gras week was going to be crowded, but we were still pretty shocked to walk up to the Safari queue and see that the standby wait was 120 minutes!! We were very happy to get into the FP line at that point.

We embarked on our Safari, which ended up being on the longer side as the trucks got a little backed up, but the animals were incredibly active!

We saw some zebras that were a bit unhappy with each other.

And there was a baby zebra!

After our awesome Safari, we were more than ready for lunch. We back tracked over to Dinoland to get Restaurantosaurus, utilizing mobile order along the way. The spotty Wi-Fi was very frustrating when trying to mobile order, but I was able to finally get the order in. The kids really wanted to eat there though to get the bucket & shovel with their meal.

The restaurant was very full & very loud, but while we were sitting there, I heard a quiet voice telling DD hello by name, and we turned to find one of her friends from her Pre-K class!

IMG_8998

DD had been a bit jealous that DS had seen someone from his class but she hadn’t seen anyone yet, so she was very excited to have seen a friend also!

After lunch, it was the time all of us had been looking forward to after rave reviews all around…it was time for our Flight of Passage FP! We packed up and headed over to Pandora. It was decided that DH and DS were going to take the first ride. We had to all go to the entrance of the ride so that we could get a rider swap for DS to be able to ride with me after. Then they jumped in the FP queue, and I thought I’d try to get DD to take a stroller nap. Despite finding the quietest corner of the land that I could and walking and walking in circles, the stroller nap was NOT successful!! Meanwhile, DH and DS were experiencing FOP together!

Continued in next post...

Last edited:

They found us when they were done and DS was RAVING about how much he loved the ride! He was very excited that he would get to ride again with me! The whole time he was in line he was bubbling to tell me all about what was going to happen next. I didn’t take any photos, but DH and DD were taking some as they explored while waiting for us to ride.

DH is hardly ever in our photos, but DD wanted to make sure he appeared so she was sure to snatch his phone and take photos of him too.

IMG_2957

While in line with DS, I had hopped on the app and booked a FP for that evening at Pirates of the Caribbean. We were planning to head to Magic Kingdom after dinner to see Happily Ever After and didn’t have our sights set on riding too many rides, but we figured if we could get a FP for something it would help.

Overall my impression was that the ride is pretty incredible. It felt very realistic and so different from anything else Disney World has to offer right now. This was the “big” new ride for me at WDW, and Hagrid’s Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure was the big new one for me at Universal, and between the two I for sure loved Hagrid’s more than FOP. However, for DS, FOP was much more his speed since Hagrid’s was just too intense for him so he disagreed with me. The wait time was INSANE at 240 minutes! I generally can’t ever imagine why someone would get in a 4 hour line for an attraction, but I quickly realized why when I overheard someone tell another person in their party that the wait time was 2 hours and 40 minutes. YIKES.

We were ready to head back to the room for a break, so we started making our way towards the entrance. We stopped to do some Wilderness Explorer stops along the way, and got some photos by the Tree of Life.

We made sure to stop at the Wilderness Explorer front kiosk so the kids could take their WE pledge.

After exiting the park, there was another cute Lion King photo op with no one waiting for it.

We got over to the bus stop around 2:20, and DS was super excited to see this transportation.

It was just before 3 when we got back to Copper Creek, and I was determined that DD needed to take a nap if we were going to stay out late for HEA that night after such an early morning. Luckily we were a lot more successful once back in the room than we had been in the park. It’s probably for the best anyway, since I’m sure the quality and length of the nap was a lot better in the room than it would have been had she taken a stroller nap.

She napped for about an hour while the rest of us relaxed, then when she got up we cooked tacos for dinner in the room. DH and I had discussed different ways to save a little money to justify spending the money on the Early Morning Magic we had scheduled for later in the trip, and one of the things we had come up with was taking advantage of our kitchen and cooking some meals to save on spending on food in the parks.

After dinner, we went down to the boat dock to take the boat over to MK. We were on the smaller watercraft this time as compared to the larger one we had taken on our first morning. The weather was beautiful, and it was a lovely ride over to MK.

IMG_8999

IMG_9002

IMG_9003

IMG_2960

IMG_9007

IMG_9009

UP NEXT: Happily Ever After

I love Chip and Dale in the dinosaur costumes and who doesn't love Launchpad! You got some really adorable pictures with them.

That 360 photo with the Tree of Life is awesome! I don't think I've seen anyone else post that.

How fun that your daughter was able to run into a classmate too! They both looked so cute in their Mardi Gras shirts.

Seeing those buckets and shovels from Restaurantosaurus reminded me of when we ate their a couple years ago with my daughter and her family. My daughter didn't want to haul the buckets home and was going to throw them away. I wouldn't hear of that and walked the buckets and shovels over to the dig site and gave them to parents for their kids. Funny how today you couldn't just hand someone something like that. What a different world we have now.

Your safari photos are great! I feel like no two safaris are the same for me and that's one of the reasons I love it.

Great Safaris animal photos. We enjoy FOP but there is no way I would wait 2 hours to ride it. Lots of beautiful photos in Pandora.

Looking forward to HEA.

So fun following along on your trip! Would like to stay at Copper Creek one day. I just love the WL area. You get so many great family photos. Not sure how you decide which ones to display. Pandora had to be a dream for your DH to photograph. Hope your evening in MK goes well. Your DD looks rested and ready to go!

Always nice to get an active safari! Love all the giraffe and zebra pics!

So cute that DD saw a friend at lunch!

I'm glad you guys finally got to ride FoP and that DS loved it so much!

Smart idea to save some money by cooking in the room when you could!

Pretty cool that Scrooge and Launchpad met together! We've met them several times but always separate.

I've never seen that 360 photopass spot at the Tree of Life before! What an awesome picture.

I love Chip and Dale in the dinosaur costumes and who doesn't love Launchpad! You got some really adorable pictures with them.

That 360 photo with the Tree of Life is awesome! I don't think I've seen anyone else post that.

How fun that your daughter was able to run into a classmate too! They both looked so cute in their Mardi Gras shirts.

Seeing those buckets and shovels from Restaurantosaurus reminded me of when we ate their a couple years ago with my daughter and her family. My daughter didn't want to haul the buckets home and was going to throw them away. I wouldn't hear of that and walked the buckets and shovels over to the dig site and gave them to parents for their kids. Funny how today you couldn't just hand someone something like that. What a different world we have now.

Your safari photos are great! I feel like no two safaris are the same for me and that's one of the reasons I love it.

Chip & Dale are always pretty cute, but put them in dino costumes, and OH MAN! So cute.

The 360 photo was really out of the way, so we totally stumbled upon it. I'm sure most people don't even know it's there. I love how it came out though. It was a great souvenir.

So true, you couldn't do that now! But what a great way to pass them on instead of hauling them all the way home. We did it this time since we drove, but had we been flying they would have been left behind I'm sure.

Yes, we love the Safari for the same reason! Always something different to see.

Great Safaris animal photos. We enjoy FOP but there is no way I would wait 2 hours to ride it. Lots of beautiful photos in Pandora.

Looking forward to HEA.

I wouldn't wait 2 hours either, and definitely NOT 4 hours! That's insane. Half the day in one ride line is crazy.

So fun following along on your trip! Would like to stay at Copper Creek one day. I just love the WL area. You get so many great family photos. Not sure how you decide which ones to display. Pandora had to be a dream for your DH to photograph. Hope your evening in MK goes well. Your DD looks rested and ready to go!

I am a big fan of WL too, so I was very excited to get to stay at CC this trip! Boulder Ridge would have been nice too (I've heard the rooms are a bit bigger), but I liked being close to the resort activity also.

Aww, thank you! It's been a tough choice to figure out which ones to print for sure.

Always nice to get an active safari! Love all the giraffe and zebra pics!

So cute that DD saw a friend at lunch!

I'm glad you guys finally got to ride FoP and that DS loved it so much!

Smart idea to save some money by cooking in the room when you could!

It really is! The giraffes were crazy active, so that was really fun. It makes for a fun safari when they are so active. I'm sure the cooler weather helps.

FOP was pretty great, despite not being very excited overall for Pandora. They did a good job with the area.

It was nice taking advantage of having a full kitchen at our disposal. We definitely don't do that enough! It's a great money saver.

Pretty cool that Scrooge and Launchpad met together! We've met them several times but always separate.

I've never seen that 360 photopass spot at the Tree of Life before! What an awesome picture.

I guess it depends on the time of day, but it was a nice bonus getting them both together. I was keeping my fingers crossed they would still be available by the time we made it back to the parks, because they are favorites of ours!

It's tucked away in the back, so I'm not surprised most people don't see it back there. I think we only found it because we were hunting down Wilderness Explorer stops.

:wave: I found this trip report today! What an amazing time you are having! I am a nurse too, and masks and all, I need a vacation!

We will be going in November, and will have a 7 and 4 year old among us, so it is great to see what type of rides your children liked and what activities they were able to do!

Thanks for sharing your adventures! I can't wait to read more! :cool1:

:wave: I found this trip report today! What an amazing time you are having! I am a nurse too, and masks and all, I need a vacation!

We will be going in November, and will have a 7 and 4 year old among us, so it is great to see what type of rides your children liked and what activities they were able to do!

Thanks for sharing your adventures! I can't wait to read more! :cool1:

Welcome!!! I totally feel that right now. I am so desperate to just go ANYWHERE right about now!!!

After a fun morning at AK, and a nice break at the resort, we had taken a boat ride over to MK for the night.

We killed some time in the Emporium before we could head over to use our FP for Pirates at 6 pm. When we headed towards the hub, we caught part of the Move It Shake It parade.

After a little fun there, we steered towards Adventureland.

As soon as we tapped in for our FP, I jumped back on the app to see if I could find another one. There were some FPs available for Journey of the Little Mermaid for 6:45 pm, but I only made them for myself and the kids because DH didn’t want to cut it too close finding a spot to set up his tripod for the fireworks.

After Pirates, we spotted S & her family again walking through Adventureland and stopped to chat with them again. DS was very excited to see his best buddy again. Then the kids were begging to walk through the Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse, so we decided now was a perfect time since the wait times were pretty long. DS was especially interested and excited to do this again after listening to a Connecting With Walt podcast about it.

After the treehouse, we headed to the hub so DH could scope out a spot to set up his camera. We found a place in the hub to the side of the castle between the entrances to Adventureland and Liberty Square. Once we had situated the stroller and bags to hold some space for me and the kids, we left DH so we could get over to use our Ariel FP. Along the way, we spotted yet another of DS’s friends from his class, so they stopped to say hello to each other.

Then the kids and I made it over to New Fantasyland to board a clamshell and head under the sea!

IMG_9011

IMG_9013

IMG_9018

IMG_9019

IMG_9021

IMG_9022

IMG_9023

Continued in Next Post...

We had to HURRY back after the ride because DH said it was filling up around him quickly, so I had to carry DD so that we could move efficiently through the crowds and get back to where he was standing. When we got back to him, he said another DIS Dad had liked the post he had shared on their FB group of the kids eating Mickey Bars at Fantasmic the other night, and had sent him a message saying the next round of Mickey Bars was on him, then sent him enough on Paypal for 4 more! How kind is that?! So since we still had a little more time before HEA, I went over to the cart and got a couple more for us to share.

IMG_2961

IMG_2964

DD took over my phone and snapped away while we waited.

IMG_9025

IMG_9026
(She took A LOT more selfies than this!)

IMG_9031

Meanwhile, this was DH’s view.

Finally, it was showtime! We had all watched this fireworks show on YouTube when it premiered in the parks, but it was the first time for all of us seeing it in person. As soon as the first firework went off, DD hugged me tight and said “WOW!” It was beautiful to experience in person, and even more so to watch my kids experience it for the first time. They were amazed and enthralled from the beginning to the end!

Feb 2020 004-180

Feb 2020 004-181

Feb 2020 004-182

Feb 2020 004-183

Feb 2020 004-184

Feb 2020 004-185

Feb 2020 004-186

Feb 2020 004-187

Feb 2020 004-188

Feb 2020 004-189

Feb 2020 004-190

Feb 2020 004-191

Feb 2020 004-192

Feb 2020 004-193

Feb 2020 004-194

Feb 2020 004-195

Feb 2020 004-196

Feb 2020 004-197

Feb 2020 004-198

Feb 2020 004-199

Feb 2020 004-200

Feb 2020 004-201

Feb 2020 004-202

Feb 2020 004-203

Feb 2020 004-204

WHEW!!! I know that was a lot of fireworks photos, but the show is a long one, and it was so hard to choose! Needless to say, we all LOVED it! DH and I were actually a bit disappointed that we hadn’t set up a second night to be able to see this again.

We waited on the curb for a few minutes before joining the shuffle down Main Street out of the park, but it had at least thinned out a little bit. There was a Photopass photographer out by the train station, so we stopped for a photo before leaving.

After discussing our two options for getting back to the resort, boat or bus, we decided to go over to the bus because there was no way of knowing how many people were waiting for either form of transportation, but we at least knew the bus could hold more people than the boats. I don’t know if the boat was any busier, but the bus was a great decision because it was only us and 3 other families, so we had plenty of room!

When we got back to Wilderness Lodge, we made a stop at the gift shop to pick up DD’s Frozen II Playset that we had gotten at Epcot and had sent to the resort. While in there, I spotted a former co-worker that I hadn’t seen in years! I was very excited to see her and chat with her a bit to catch up!

It was about 9 pm when we got up to the room, and we got baths done as quickly as possible and got the kids into bed. But soon after putting them in bed, we started hearing the music of the Electrical Water Pageant. We figured this was probably the only night the kids might be up late enough to watch, and we had a sleep-in morning coming up, so we went out to the living room to see if they wanted to watch. They enjoyed watching it for a few minutes, but then they headed off to bed when it started to move on. We followed close behind. It had been a long but fun day!

UP NEXT: A Much Needed Rest

I love the Swiss Family Treehouse. I don't think I've climbed it for at least the last few visits, but it's such a classic Disney attraction.

Your husband's HEA photos are just breathtakingly beautiful! What a talent he has!

That's cool that you ran into a former co-worker. I love when things like that happen.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!