They have ruined Seaworld

I think its time for Sea World to stop breading both whales and dolphins, let the animals they have die naturally and stop having the whale and dolphin shows altogether. I know that people like them but to keep so many large mammels in such tiny pools is wrong, it halfs their life span for a start off then there is the problem of keeping an animal that can dive for hundreds of feet in a fish pond 27 feet down.

I think its time for Sea World to stop breading both whales and dolphins, let the animals they have die naturally and stop having the whale and dolphin shows altogether. I know that people like them but to keep so many large mammels in such tiny pools is wrong, it halfs their life span for a start off then there is the problem of keeping an animal that can dive for hundreds of feet in a fish pond 27 feet down.

Have to giggle at the breaded dolphin and whale post. Good catch.

SW doesn't actually breed any animals, it just sort of happens because the animals all seem to be content and happy in their environment.
If it weren't for parks, zoos, aquariums, etc. most of us would never see most of the animals in the world. How sad would that be not to see the beauty of a killer whale, a tiger, an octopus, etc. Pictures and reading about animals are not the same as seeing/watching and touching the real thing. Also many of these animals are almost extinct from man using them for food and other things. For some their numbers have increased since man has been their caretakers in protected environments of zoos and parks etc. . My dream job would be working with them.

It's a hard call on whether it's right to have the animals in captivity. Part of me feels sorry for them in such a small, unnatural habitat, but I remind myself that most of them were born there and don't know anything else, and they receive the best of care. You definitely have to love them and love your job to work there...DH was saying that one of the trainers has been there for something like 16 or 17 years. Apparently they work with one whale and bond with it. That has to be amazing.

I could criticize SW, but then I'd have to hang my head in shame for keeping a horse that is boarded on five acres and has to carry me around while his wild kin runs free. But if I ever released him, I guarantee you he'd be back at the barn door as soon as he realized that there's no sweet feed and treats out in the wild.

It's a hard call on whether it's right to have the animals in captivity. Part of me feels sorry for them in such a small, unnatural habitat, but I remind myself that most of them were born there and don't know anything else, and they receive the best of care. You definitely have to love them and love your job to work there...DH was saying that one of the trainers has been there for something like 16 or 17 years. Apparently they work with one whale and bond with it. That has to be amazing.

I could criticize SW, but then I'd have to hang my head in shame for keeping a horse that is boarded on five acres and has to carry me around while his wild kin runs free. But if I ever released him, I guarantee you he'd be back at the barn door as soon as he realized that there's no sweet feed and treats out in the wild.

The fact that they have been in these tanks since birth does not alter the facts they haven't enough room, they are kept in clorinated fresh water when they are designed to be in salt water, their life span is HALVED in the wild family units stay together for life. There are growing number of attacks on other whales and trainers. But that doesn't matter as long as we are happy.

IN THE WILD . . . Female orca whales are thought to live 80 years, and male orcas about 50. Both beluga whales and dolphins can live 25 to 30 years.

IN CAPTIVITY . . . Whales and dolphins frequently live only a fraction of the time they would in the wild. Many die shortly after capture, often unexpectedly, but necropsies find most die from bacterial infections. According to records, over 24 cetaceans have died at the Vancouver Aquarium. Bjossa has lost 2 mates and 3 babies.

IN THE WILD . . . Whales and dolphins are intelligent, highly social mammals who live in small family groups called "pods". Orca offspring stay with their mothers for life.

IN CAPTIVITY . . . Unrelated whales and dolphins are often forced to live together in groups that are nothing like their families in the wild. At the Vancouver Aquarium, a baby beluga whale was separated for 6 months from her mother.

IN THE WILD . . . Orca whales may travel up to 100 miles a day, reach speeds of 30 miles per hour and dive hundreds of feet below the water's surface.

IN CAPTIVITY . . . Most captive whales and dolphins can swim for only a few seconds before reaching the sides of their tanks. Bjossa would have to swim around her tank 2500 times a day to get enough exercise.

IN THE WILD . . . Whales and dolphins live in a world of sound. Orca pods have unique "dialects" containing specific sound patterns. Whales and dolphins use echolocation to locate each other and to capture live prey.

IN CAPTIVITY . . . The Vancouver Aquarium, whale tanks are many times noisier than the ocean. The glass and concrete walls frequently inhibit the natural use of sound by whales and dolphins. The water and cooling pumps are heard underwater 24 hours a day.

IN THE WILD . . . Whales and dolphins have evolved for millions of years as part of a complex web of marine life. They belong in the ocean, surrounded by other sea animals, along with the tides, waves, storms, sea floors and coastlines of their natural homes.

IN CAPTIVITY . . . Nothing in their evolution has prepared whales or dolphins for life in captivity. Everything is foreign - from the size and shape of the tanks, to the artificial social environment, to the textures, colours, sounds and lighting they experience, to the water they live in, which is often artificial sea water, chemically treated with chlorine. Sadly, the results is often abnormal behaviour, aggression, injury, illness and premature death.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LM0Zct5Wlj0

http://www.aph.gov.au/SEnate/commit...e_ctte/dolphins_whales_in_captivity/06ch6.pdf

As has been mentioned, there is something to be said for seeing these animals up close and personal. I suspect a lot of the protections that Dolphins and whales have received over the years have come by way of people being able to see for themselves what beautiful and intelligent animals they are. It is a shame that some must suffer so that many more may live under protective international laws.

I have always wanted to see a "no fish treat" whale or dolphin show, to see how much they would participate without being fed.

P.S. People are supposed to be free range too, but the internet finally ended that evolutionary trait. :)

We'd all have to hang our head in shame. <g> How many of us have never had a cat, a dog, a bird, a fish, hamster etc. as a pet? They were free roaming once upon an era too.

And my family through history who were all farmers kept chicken, cows, pigs, ducks, etc. captive and then we ate them. And I am sure a greater number of people continue to eat meat and wear leather etc. than people who totally give up eating meat and using animals in other ways.

And I almost forgot. Many of the animals at SW are rescued animals that would have died in the wild without SW caring for them. They continue to do rescues and I applaud them for it.

The fact that they have been in these tanks since birth does not alter the facts they haven't enough room, they are kept in clorinated fresh water when they are designed to be in salt water, their life span is HALVED in the wild family units stay together for life. There are growing number of attacks on other whales and trainers. But that doesn't matter as long as we are happy.>>>>>

I think you are wrong on the type of water they have in the tanks at SW. I am pretty sure that all the Saltwater animals are in saltwater because they would not survive in regular or chlorinated water. Hence the warning about cameras , watches, and anything electronic when they are going to splash the crowd . Saltwater is very corrosive on electronics. You can't just dry them out and they work like you can if you spill a drink on your keyboard, etc.

s!
The kicker was the $7 per person to enter into the dolphin area. It used to be that you could feed them or not but still get close to the tank.

That is not good to hear. That was my favorite experience at Sea World and now for a family of three to experience this will cost them $21. That is disappointing.

Jason

That is not good to hear. That was my favorite experience at Sea World and now for a family of three to experience this will cost them $21. That is disappointing.

Jason

I believe part of that change was done for the well being of the dolphins as I have seen a video of people giving dolphins all kinds of objects that could harm them,like water bottles.When you have a huge amount of people around the dolphins it was harder to prevent people from doing these things,now it's better controlled.

Ok; I agree captivity is not the primary choice, but all the animals at SW are well taken cared of and live in their proper enviroments (ie... salt water at the proper temperture) most of which were specially made for them. Most animals were also born in captivity, so the other animals they are with are their family unit.

I am by no means defending the caputure of animals for display but SW/BG do rescue animals then rehabilitate and release them back if possible.

Ok; I agree captivity is not the primary choice, but all the animals at SW are well taken cared of and live in their proper enviroments (ie... salt water at the proper temperture) most of which were specially made for them. Most animals were also born in captivity, so the other animals they are with are their family unit.

I am by no means defending the caputure of animals for display but SW/BG do rescue animals then rehabilitate and release them back if possible.

If they are being so well kept why is the life span 20 to 25 years instead of 50 to 80 years?

At Discovery Cove last week during our dolphin swim the trainer told us that the average life span for a dolphin is about 25 years and that their dolphin's life span is actually DOUBLE that!!! I seemed to me that all of the marine life at SW was given the best care possible.

BTW ... We went to every show at all the Disney parks and SW and I thought that Believe was the best one of them all. I even bought the $5 wood necklace afterwards. Just my opinion though.

If they are being so well kept why is the life span 20 to 25 years instead of 50 to 80 years?

My personal opinion is this, I believe that the average lifespan for whales or any marine animal in captivity will continue to rise in the future. I think the more we learn about them and their needs, that people who work with these animals will be able to care for them better which will increase their lifespan. If you look throughout the history of seaworld parks, at the begining, the whales only lived about 3-5 years in captivity before they died. But as time goes on and we learn how to better care for them, their life expectancy increases. There are 2 whales I believe over 30 years old, if not very close to 30 who currently live in Seaworld Orlando. Is it right? Each person has his or her own opinion. But mine is that they are living a good life at seaworld especially. With top medical care, food, and attention. Yes, its not the ocean. But 98% of the whales in capitivity were born there and thats all theyve ever known. Seaworld doesnt capture whales in the wild. The whales breed naturaly and the calves are raised in captivity.

It is my understanding that some of the whales have been at the parks since the parks opened so some do outlive the 20-25 mark and we don't know how long they will live beyond the 35-40 years they have survived yet. They seem to be doing very well and love what they do.

Have you ever been there when they are just swimming around and without command start interacting with people in the first rows or the guys selling stuff up front? Just really cute.

As for some dying at younger age in captivity, they also wash up on shores at younger ages even when they are free. I personally would rather see a shark in a tank for example than a shark on the beach with its fin cut out like I did last year while walking on the beach here. I would rather see them living in a tank instead of being someone's soup. Many of the animals you see at the park are SW rescues. They would have died if SW did not take them in and care for them. They release the ones that they think can make it on their own.

Do you own an animal of any kind? Why do they not survive longer than maybe 14 years at our homes? Same thing only the caretakers of the animals in the parks are better trained to care for the animals compared to a lot of people who own dogs and cats, horses and abuse them daily by not feeding them correctly, not providing shade, etc. like they should have. On their own our pets would not be able to survive in the world today.

Do you eat meat? Wear leather shoes? At least because of what we have learned whales etc. have a chance and aren't being fished into extinction . Animal parks have actually helped in teaching the world about these animals.
JMHO
And yes, I even wear makeup and take meds that are tested on animals. I know without the tests, I personally would not have survived past my 3rd year of life, my 17th, my 34th, and my 56th year of life so I appreciate the knowledge given to man and the animals that God gave us to help us in all ways needed.
On this I will not post more and just agree to disagree on this. <G> Arguing the point won't convince either of us. So together we make a place somewhere in the middle helping to keep animals safer in today's world, yet making it possible for people to learn about animals they would never encounter in their own neighborhoods if not for zoos, acquariums, etc. .

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter