Things Disney Offers But Doesn't Advertise *Summary Added Oct 08*

-the pick an oyster in japan
-changing the color of aurora's dress at castle couture
-outdoor movies at the disney resort
-contests at marketplace at dtd
-the dus driver trading cards

Talk to me about these!

I'd love to hear some current unadvertised magic options if anyone has some to share!!! we'll be at AKL in WDW this summer!

Are y'all sure that you really want to know the current unadvertised things at Disney World or Disneyland? I don't work at either park, but I have neighbors who do and a co-worker at Universal Studios who also works at Downtown Disney. I hear on a regular basis frrom Disney "cast members" how disappointed they are that they can't surprise the "guests" anymore. These employees are telling me that some of them or their co-workers remember the delight that they could inspire in customers when they were able to give them a free upgrade or another gift of some sort, but now "guests" come in expecting comped goods and services or to complain that they didn't get towel animals in their rooms if the maids had to move on fast in a hotel filled to capacity.

Are y'all sure that you really want to know the current unadvertised things at Disney World or Disneyland? I don't work at either park, but I have neighbors who do and a co-worker at Universal Studios who also works at Downtown Disney. I hear on a regular basis frrom Disney "cast members" how disappointed they are that they can't surprise the "guests" anymore. These employees are telling me that some of them or their co-workers remember the delight that they could inspire in customers when they were able to give them a free upgrade or another gift of some sort, but now "guests" come in expecting comped goods and services or to complain that they didn't get towel animals in their rooms if the maids had to move on fast in a hotel filled to capacity.

Except that most of the things listed here aren't upgrades or gifts....yes the towel animals are mentioned, but the list just a couple posts up lists many things that the average person doesn't realize are available....they're there for every guest and don't have anything to do with expecting an upgrade. Here are some that girlsmom listed:

-the pick an oyster in japan
-changing the color of aurora's dress at castle couture
-outdoor movies at the disney resort
-getting pixie dust at BBB even when we are just passing by and aren't there for a makeover
-the hair paint/gel and mickey confetti at main street barber shop-dance
-contests at marketplace at dtd
-the twist at everything pop
-pool games for kids in the afternoons at the resort
-hula hoops and games while waiting for parades

The movies are a great example......since we have never stayed at that resort we'd have never known about them if not for DIS....and we would have missed out on a very relaxing evening that really helped us refresh our energy in the middle of our first trip. I hadn't planned on going because my mind was saying "I'm spending all this money to go to WDW we are NOT going to sit and watch a movie that we have watched a million times at home." But we were all reaching serious overload, and suddenly that movie was just what the doctor ordered!

The pool games were another....we happened upon those by accident, and made a point of taking our break at the right time to come again a couple other days. They do advertise these at the resort, but it was so subtle among all the other eye-candy that we honestly didn't even see it until the CM pointed it out after I said "you guys should tell people about this". Oops.

Expecting upgrades/comps...well that's a personality issue that probably would happen with or without this thread.

FOR BONNIEC:

Here is info about pick a pearl
http://zannaland.com/pick-a-pearl-in-epcots-japan-pavilion/

at Castle Couture, the CM must have a button or something to switch the colors b/c CM asked us to waive a wand and it changed:) here is more info on that (and pics)
http://land.allears.net/blogs/jackspence/2010/04/castle_couture.html

here is info on outdoor resort movies
http://www.wdwforgrownups.com/guide/outdoor-movies-and-campfires-disney-world

at marketplace amphitheater in downtown disney each night they have a DJ and he teaches dances and then there is a dance competition -sometimes DH and I join in (one time we WON!) and other times we sit and rest and get a kick out of watching the kids cut a rug.

here is info on the bus driver trading cards:
http://www.onlywdworld.com/2008/09/transportation-trading-cards-another.html

For those that are not tall enough to ride at each attraction with a height requirement the attraction has a height card if you are Walt Disney World or height certificate if you attempt to get them at Universal/IOA. Some are really picky. Also if you are big into dining and menus most restaraunts on Disney property are very polite about letting you take a souvenier menu. At Epcot the only exceptions were Japan restaraunts, China, and France.

FOR BONNIEC:

Here is info about pick a pearl
http://zannaland.com/pick-a-pearl-in-epcots-japan-pavilion/

at Castle Couture, the CM must have a button or something to switch the colors b/c CM asked us to waive a wand and it changed:) here is more info on that (and pics)
http://land.allears.net/blogs/jackspence/2010/04/castle_couture.html

here is info on outdoor resort movies
http://www.wdwforgrownups.com/guide/outdoor-movies-and-campfires-disney-world

at marketplace amphitheater in downtown disney each night they have a DJ and he teaches dances and then there is a dance competition -sometimes DH and I join in (one time we WON!) and other times we sit and rest and get a kick out of watching the kids cut a rug.

here is info on the bus driver trading cards:
http://www.onlywdworld.com/2008/09/transportation-trading-cards-another.html

Thank you so much for this information! Looking forward to watching a movie with the kids on our first night at Disney. It will be perfect. Nice and relaxing!:thumbsup2

For those that are not tall enough to ride at each attraction with a height requirement the attraction has a height card if you are Walt Disney World or height certificate if you attempt to get them at Universal/IOA. Some are really picky. Also if you are big into dining and menus most restaraunts on Disney property are very polite about letting you take a souvenier menu. At Epcot the only exceptions were Japan restaraunts, China, and France.

A height card? Can you explain what that is? My DD3 is so close to 40 inches and hopefully will be by December so I was wondering what the height card was.... :confused3

I believe I remember seeing someone post that if a child didn't measure tall enough to ride, they might be given a special Fastpass to come back once they are. DS didn't experience that on his first attempted ride of Star Tours on his 3th birthday. But, upon being told he wasn't tall enough and bursting into tears (totally unlike him, too), the college-age male CM was mortified and needed to make him STOP!! :). Gave him (us) special seats to the Indy show. Sweet. He'll make a good dad one of these days :)

I believe I remember seeing someone post that if a child didn't measure tall enough to ride, they might be given a special Fastpass to come back once they are. DS didn't experience that on his first attempted ride of Star Tours on his 3th birthday. But, upon being told he wasn't tall enough and bursting into tears (totally unlike him, too), the college-age male CM was mortified and needed to make him STOP!! :). Gave him (us) special seats to the Indy show. Sweet. He'll make a good dad one of these days :)

That is so sweet. I can't get enough of these stories!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter