Things No longer seen on DCL or Castaway Cay

truck1

Growing older but not up.
Someone on a different thread had a good idea. Basically things that we don't see anymore on the ships or CC. Maybe a little trivia thrown in for good measure.
Heres a couple to get things going.
First is the "Secret deck or balcony"73676_453175617767_3118116_n.jpgDT2vK5mX4AAoLxz.jpgmagic2.jpg that was on deck 7 of the Magic class. It was used for weddings and for sunbathing.
The Magic was actually built in 2 pieces. The bow was built in Ancona Italy, and the stern was built in Marghera Italy about 100 miles away. The bow was floated over to join the stern in order to meet the ships original deadline. Until another ship threw the schedule out the window. (kind of sound familiar? But a virus this time?) The seam is by lifeboat 10 on the Magic. Runs all the way around the ship. Trivia. The Wonder was built in 1 piece at the same yard, in Marghera by Fincantieri also, but has the same seam welded to her hull to keep the ships looking identical. The seam on the Wonder is purely cosmetic.

That's interesting. Did they have to dry dock the two halves to weld them together?
Yes. They towed the bow over from Ancona, to the drydock the stern was in. They floated the bow in, and over the course of hours matched the 2 sections and started welding, and draining the dock to get below the waterline.

I'll have to see if I can dig up any pictures, but I miss the Midnight Dessert Buffet that they used to do. If I recall correctly there were ice sculptures, chocolate fountains along with many dessert options. On the Magic it was held in Lumiere’s.

Thanks, Truck -
Yeah, we spent a lot of time reading / daydreaming time on the secret balcony. Except for one cruise, we have had stern staterooms. Even though we had balconies of our own, there was something special about that space.
Was very disappointed when they co-opted it during the refit. Wish I had photos of us there. Not a "selfie" kinda guy.

Edit : also, did not know about the "fake" weld on WONDER. Cool !

I remember our first cruise after the refit going to look for the secret balcony and being confused about the lack of access. **Sigh** Knew about the fake seam, that's actually a totally Disney thing to do!

One of the little known facts about the ships is that they are not black - they're a patented shade of midnight blue. When the "DCL Council" was debating the ship's colors, they didn't like black or the available blues. An assistant walked into the room wearing pants in a darker shade of blue and they all had a eureka moment and that became the color of the bottom of the ships.

Something you don't see anymore? Two grand staircases on Wonder and Magic. They had 2, one from either side, but in the refit they removed the starboard staircase. Opens up the area nicely, but it was cool seeing the characters lining both stairways or the cast parading down from both sides.

The FLying Dutchmen at Castaway Cay is one thing you don't see anymore. You also don't see as much in the snorkel lagoon. It's been filled in with storms over the years so the plant life has taken a beating meaning fewer fish and stuff.

I do miss the secret deck 7 on the Magic class. We were deck 5 aft and would pop up there all the time instead of going to the pool decks.

The art gallery on the Dream class ships was replaced with Tiffany's.

Large drinks also have gone away. I remember in 1998 getting virgin strawberry daiquiris. They came in those large comical plastic 24" plastic cups that you could hold in the middle. You don't see those anymore. They also included a lanyard that you could slip over it and tie. Sadly I can't get a picture of that since it is at my mothers home.

I remember our first cruise after the refit going to look for the secret balcony and being confused about the lack of access. **Sigh** Knew about the fake seam, that's actually a totally Disney thing to do!

One of the little known facts about the ships is that they are not black - they're a patented shade of midnight blue. When the "DCL Council" was debating the ship's colors, they didn't like black or the available blues. An assistant walked into the room wearing pants in a darker shade of blue and they all had a eureka moment and that became the color of the bottom of the ships.

Something you don't see anymore? Two grand staircases on Wonder and Magic. They had 2, one from either side, but in the refit they removed the starboard staircase. Opens up the area nicely, but it was cool seeing the characters lining both stairways or the cast parading down from both sides.
We were told that the colour is called Monica blue as that was the woman's name
Michael

What happened to it?
It was never designed to be exposed to the elements and over the several years it was there, it just starting showing more and more wear so they hauled it around the corner to one of the lagoons on the island and took it apart. For a few years the barge portion was still there and you could see it in one of the pools if you knew where to look. I can't remember where though, we have a picture of it somewhere, but it is basically alot of leaves with a black barge in a small pond...

It was never designed to be exposed to the elements and over the several years it was there, it just starting showing more and more wear so they hauled it around the corner to one of the lagoons on the island and took it apart. For a few years the barge portion was still there and you could see it in one of the pools if you knew where to look. I can't remember where though, we have a picture of it somewhere, but it is basically alot of leaves with a black barge in a small pond...
Walking towards the beach from the ship or on the tram, it was over your right shoulder if you looked back after the small bridge

The FLying Dutchmen at Castaway Cay is one thing you don't see anymore. You also don't see as much in the snorkel lagoon. It's been filled in with storms over the years so the plant life has taken a beating meaning fewer fish and stuff.

I do miss the secret deck 7 on the Magic class. We were deck 5 aft and would pop up there all the time instead of going to the pool decks.

The art gallery on the Dream class ships was replaced with Tiffany's.

Large drinks also have gone away. I remember in 1998 getting virgin strawberry daiquiris. They came in those large comical plastic 24" plastic cups that you could hold in the middle. You don't see those anymore. They also included a lanyard that you could slip over it and tie. Sadly I can't get a picture of that since it is at my mothers home.
On CC there used to be bronze looking tablets that told the tale of the island and all of the items underwater. There was also a snorkeling card that had the trail on it and some of the fish that were in the lagoon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!