Things No longer seen on DCL or Castaway Cay

We just stayed at GF at WDW and still got the bottles! It was super exciting for me. They are sitting in my closet and I am waiting for a rainy day to use them when its been a while and I am missing Disney

Good to know! I just kept thinking it looked like supergluing together a toy that broke in half! Such a weird way to build a ship.
Most large ships now are built in modules then welded once in place.

We just stayed at GF at WDW and still got the bottles! It was super exciting for me. They are sitting in my closet and I am waiting for a rainy day to use them when its been a while and I am missing Disney

We did the same when I stayed at Yacht Club in March before the closure. The Disney Resorts ones aren't quite as special to me even though I know its the same stuff. :P

We did the same when I stayed at Yacht Club in March before the closure. The Disney Resorts ones aren't quite as special to me even though I know its the same stuff. :P
For me it is all about the smell—takes me right back to Disney cruise even though it looks different! Have tried the Disney cruise scented magic candle company products and they don’t have the same effect, but the shampoo takes me right back.

Here's a YouTube video I found on the construction of the Magic.
There's been a couple of videos and shows about it. I have the book about it and there's a quote from a Fincantieri engineer, on the Magics maiden who actually came up with or signed off on the idea. He basically said if he thought for 1 second there was an issue with it, he wouldn't be on the ship. I beleive he also said the same thing that the seam is the strongest part of the ship.

Good to know! I just kept thinking it looked like supergluing together a toy that broke in half! Such a weird way to build a ship.
What ended up happening was after the decision was made to build, DCL had a specific time frame in mind to start cruising. Had they built the entire ship in Fincantieris yard in Marghera, the ship wouldn't have been ready on time. So Fincantieri came up with the idea to use 2 of there yards. Its really no different then, MW building the 5 Dream and Wish class ships. Only real difference is that the Magic has 1 straight seam where the Wonder and the Dream and Wish class has a zig zag seam in the same place. In the end the delay wouldn't have mattered as the Magic was delayed by about a year anyway I think RCCL Enchantment of the Seas has similar seam( 2 actually) where they cut the ship and inserted about 100 feet of more space.

Last edited:

I agree with the person who mentioned individual travel sized toiletries. I have booked many a cruise "after" washing my hair with the shampoos brought home from cruises... Just saying.

I miss being able to bring on unlimited amounts of beverages. I like a particular brand of wine and DCL does to sell it. I hate wasting port time trying to find "my" wine. I wish DCL would adjust their policy to match the amount you were allowed to bring on in relation to the length of the cruise. Especially for those cruises that have multiple sea days in a row.

Also, remember the little pillow that was in the staterooms. Granted, sometimes it was in the way but it was cute.

No one else going to say it?

Individual Travel Sized Toiletries.

I miss them and I miss taking a few home to remind me of vacation.

And while we're on that subject, I STILL miss the body butter. That crappy lotion is worthless, watery junk. The body butter was thick and had a nice scent that always reminded me of the Magic. I do still have one last tube. Perhaps once or twice per year, on very desperate days,I treat myself to a tiny smidge of it. Just to take in the scent and be transported for a few seconds. :teleport::cloud9:

I miss the snacks they used to have out in the afternoon and evening in the Promenade Lounge and Diversions. Even though I wasn't the least bit hungry, any time I saw those nachos, I had to grab some. They had the best salsa.
Yes! Loved the nachos while playing trivia.

It's difficult to read this and still feel good about our future prospects with Disney. Setting COVID aside, competitors have been adding and enhancing their value propositions while DCL has been on a steady pursuit of value engineering. "Because Disney" may just mean they really don't have to be the special cruise line they once were.

PrincessShmoo, do you get the feeling that each of your cruises is a game of, "Identify what is missing"?

It's difficult to read this and still feel good about our future prospects with Disney. Setting COVID aside, competitors have been adding and enhancing their value propositions while DCL has been on a steady pursuit of value engineering. "Because Disney" may just mean they really don't have to be the special cruise line they once were.

PrincessShmoo, do you get the feeling that each of your cruises is a game of, "Identify what is missing"?
Trying to keep my photos current is a challenge.

True, but you know, the one area where they do seem to be adding/improving rather than subtracting is the entertainment.

We were one of the first cruises where they replaced Wishes with Frozen and the guest response by repeat cruisers was overwhelmingly positive—the Frozen show (singing, effects, sets) was phenomenal. We were blown away by the relatively new Beauty and the Beast show on the dream. We’ve never been on the magic, but recently saw the official video of Tangled that DCL released during covid times and it was incredible—can’t wait to see it live one day.

Also the addition of the relatively new character dinner shows on the Wonder and Magic is something we are really looking forward to experiencing when things get back to post-covid normal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter