Things to Do at WDW during race week

Diskidatheart

DIS Veteran
Hello all! This question isn't necessarily about running, but more about what types of things people do at Disney during the week at WDW while there for a race (particularly during Marathon weekend). I'm running Dopey in 2018 and my wife will be doing the 10k. It's just the two of us and we don't have kids, so it's just the two of us 50 year old adults. We love the parks and plan on going to them each day, but we're also looking for other "things" to do during the week. We will be there from 12/30/17 to 1/8/18. Last year, we noticed that the parks were extremely crowded during Marathon week and we're expecting them to be the same next year since the races are the week/weekend after NYE. We enjoy riding the rides and will get our three fast pass plus for each day we are at the park.

What we are looking for are unique things to do that don't necessarily cost money (or a lot of money), but will help pass the time. They could be inside the parks, such as a scavenger hunt type of activity, or could be outside the park, such as miniature golf or spending the evening at Jellyrolls. We both love Disney, but we're just trying to change it up a bit so that we don't get bored doing the same thing over and over each year.

Thanks in advance to all who respond with your advice. I'm looking forward to hearing about some new things that we can do during our extended marathon weekend stay.

I've never done mini golfing at Disney but a lot of people love it. That could be fun.

I would suggest some resort hopping. Say go to trader sams for a drink or port orleans riverside one night when YeeHaw Bob is there.

My wife and I go for 2 weeks around the races - the week before and the week after. The time that you are there, the parks will be jammed. We sleep in and enjoy the night life on these trips. On sunny/warmer days, we hang out by the pool.

My cousin and I go for princess. She doesn't buy park tickets anymore so I don't either. We hang out, hit trader sams, and this year will try a big fancy drink at the Wave lounge. Hoping for pool weather. Mini golf is a possibility though she's really competitive and I don't love that.

I second resort hopping and maybe mini golf & Visit Disney Springs. In the parks play the Magic Sorcerer game &/or Pirate Scavenger hunt at MK.

If the weather's nice: dinner at DS. Boat ride to POR. Walk along the river to POFQ. Beignets for dessert. Carriage ride. Boat back to DS.

Oh you could also visit Fort Wilderness they have a petting area (mostly goats) and you can visit the horses, & carriage rides there too like mentioned above at Riverside. It's really nice just to stroll around there too, visit the trading post, etc. Maybe add on Trail's End, good food for best buffet price around.

Free tours: There used to be tours of the architecture/decor of WL and also AKL. When I Googled that, this came up. It's from 2015, so who knows,.

http://www.themep@rktourist.com/features/20150311/30037/5-awesome-free-behind-scenes-tours-walt-disney-world?page=1

(Replace the @ with a)

Would be worth seeing if any of the others are still ongoing. But even if these are defunct, each resort will have something of interest.
Another tour although not free its only $20 per person. The Behind the Seeds tour at the Land Pavilion in Epcot.

if you enjoy hidden mickeys, you can buy the book which isnt very expensive and do a hidden mickey hunt.

So this probably doesn't count as "inexpensive" but if you take one day off from buying a park ticket it is cheaper than that. It is fun to rent a small boat (we did the yacht/beach club's marina) and just motor around the waterways. You will be off your feet and just seeing the sights. Then grab a snack at the closest pool bar to wherever you rent your boat and then lounge around. We did this one day of our honeymoon and it was so much more peaceful than inside the parks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter