Things to see on the way from Anaheim to San Diego

Orbitron

Mouseketeer
We will stay at Disneyland in October for almost two weeks and we want to make a day trip to Sea World. We are going to rent a car for one day and we want to make a short stopover at San Juan Capistrano to see the mission. Has anybody of you been there and can tell me if it is worth a visit. Further I would like to know if there are any other things worth seeing for a tourist from Europe on the way from Anaheim to San Diego. Many thanks in advance for your help.

Sea World is a 2 hour drive each way from Disneyland. A little faster or slower depending on time of day and traffic. If you plan to spend a full day and evening at Sea World I wouldn't think you'd have much time for other stops.

If you are driving down in the morning and staying the night near Sea World then sight seeing on the way back the next day would be a great option.

We enjoy the several museums at Balboa Park. Numerous museums here to cater to almost any interest.

Wine tasting at Temecula along I-15. While not as good of wines or notable as Napa/Sonoma Valley or areas of France it is growing rapidly and offers some excellent wines and a fun day. Theres roughly 25 wineries here all located rather close to each other. Shopping in Old Town Temecula is fun, all in original 1880's-1900's western buildings.

Old Town San Diego. Lots of fun shops and great restaurants.

San Diego Harbor cruises. Great sight seeing around the harbor, some have dinner and entertainment on the boats. For a low cost version you can ride the water taxi's across the bay to Coronado Island.

@Huff: Thanks for the help! We have been to Sea World two years ago and so I know that we don't need the whole day there to see everything. I think if we leave early in the morning, we will have enought time for San Juan Capistrano and Sea World.

@GRUMPY PIRATE: We will be on vaction, so it is no problem to have a long day. We are not afraid of heavy traffic. After all we are from Europe and driving a car here is much more stressful than in the USA! ;-)

@Huff: Thanks for the help! We have been to Sea World two years ago and so I know that we don't need the whole day there to see everything. I think if we leave early in the morning, we will have enought time for San Juan Capistrano and Sea World.

@GRUMPY PIRATE: We will be on vaction, so it is no problem to have a long day. We are not afraid of heavy traffic. After all we are from Europe and driving a car here is much more stressful than in the USA! ;-)

HEHEHHEHEHEHE

have you ever SEEN Los Angeles area traffic? :lmao:

at any rate, have a good time!!

The 100 or so mile trip to San Diego can be anywhere from 90 minutes to 4 hours! Just depends on the day and time.

During the summer the shows after dark are great and worth staying late. Recently they have done daytime versions of the classic night shows but I still greatly prefer night time.

We drove down recently from LAX to San Marco (visiting my aunt for 3 nights) on a Friday afternoon. The trip took 3.5 hours; and we've done it in 1.5 before. I haven't been to visit her in about 18 months and the traffic is certainly much more heavy than I remember. It's another 45 minutes - 75 minutes to San Diego from San Marcos.

San Juan Capistrano is a nice mission to visit. I personally prefer some of the missions closer to San Francisco but I don't think you're heading that way. So, if you are looking for the old mission trail experience, then yes - definitely worth a short stop.

But as other posts have said - SeaWorld is a full day in itself. I'm not sure that you'll have time for much more. But if you've been there before and think that you will leave early, then maybe La Jolla is worth a short stop. It's really very touristy but I like it along the seashore and looking at the sea lions. And you can definitely get a reasonably good coffee here.

I would recommend a second day down towards San Diego....particularly at a weekend and heading towards Balboa Park.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter