Thinking about purchasing DVC, Questions?

disneyfreak202

Mouseketeer
Hello all,

So this is going to be very generic. I am currently trying to talk my parents into purchasing DVC as they vacation quite often. I am not entirely familiar with DVC and reading the info I just seem to not find the answers I am looking for. I am hoping you can help me. For a family who doesn't really travel to Disney, but more international, is DVC worth it?

How much does DVC cost and is it economically efficient for us to purchase it?

Also please enlighten me on all the DVC info you can!

Thank you!

You'll find plenty of information on these boards but the answer to your question is is very simple:

For a family who doesn't really travel to Disney, but moreinternational, is DVC worth it?

No it's a horrible deal when used for anything outside of DVC resorts, so wdw Hilton Head Vero Beach aulani and the grand Californian DVC villas at Disneyland

Last edited:
For a family who doesn't really travel to Disney, but more international, is DVC worth it?
The typical answer to this is, "NO. Purchase DVC only for Disney-related travel. Use cash or other (cheaper) timeshare for international journeys."

DVC is truly "best" for Disney travels. While it *can* take you outside of Disney, it doesn't mean you *should* use it this way. There are more flexible, less costly ways to travel abroad than using DVC points.

Hello all,

So this is going to be very generic. I am currently trying to talk my parents into purchasing DVC as they vacation quite often. I am not entirely familiar with DVC and reading the info I just seem to not find the answers I am looking for. I am hoping you can help me. For a family who doesn't really travel to Disney, but more international, is DVC worth it?

How much does DVC cost and is it economically efficient for us to purchase it?

Also please enlighten me on all the DVC info you can!

Thank you!
100% a terrible idea. DVC ONLY makes sense for DVC stays not even just for other Disney options, there are a ton of other options that are better and cheaper than DVC for many options. There really are none that work better than cash for many areas though. Several timeshares have decent international coverage including Wyndham/Worldmark, Marriott and Diamond. And for areas not covered with the timeshares, there are zero timeshare options that offer a cost effective method to get things cheaper than cash on a routine basis. For example, buying DVC to use for DCL cruises is significant more expensive than just using cash 100% of the time. It may be there are good timeshare options for them but there may not be. The other issue is whether they are likely to continue this plan long term. For this situation often it's better to spend the effort, education and a few $$$ getting access to things that help them on the cash side. Scott's Cheap Flights, a really high octane travel agent, loyalty programs, being willing to travel on short notice and the like.

For timeshares I'd look at where they want to go and see who has timeshares that fit those needs. Once. you see where and who, you can then investigate those systems and see how well they fit in. Even if there's a timeshare that fits pretty well, it's unlikely to cover all of their wants/needs. For example, Marriott has a number of international timeshares but for Europe there are only 4, 3 in Spain and one in France near Disney Land there with the rest being in places like Thailand, Bali, Australia and the like.

Timeshares take a certain amount of knowledge and effort to do well, even more than cash. That you're the one investigating suggests they might not be will/able to put the time and effort into using a timeshare appropriately and that you might have to be the one to do so. The sayings "the early bird gets the worm" and "no good deed goes unpunished" are often applicable. "You get what you pay for" often doesn't apply in timeshares including DVC.

The Timeshares Users Group would be a good resource to look at other timeshares. If you want to give as more specifics for things like general locations, length of travel, travel size and travel style; I'm sure we could add some additional thoughts to point you in the right direction. A number of us are also knowledgeable with other timeshares and travel in general.

For a family who doesn't really travel to Disney, but more international, is DVC worth it?
No - the best value you get is staying at the DVC properties. There is the ability to book ABD and cruises if you buy direct, but even with that it is often better to rent your DVC points at $15 per point and then just use that cash for booking your ABD or cruise. I am sure there are better timeshares out there which provide locations internationally to use.

DVC is intended for those staying at Disney Vacation Club properties at least every couple of years. If that doesn't describe your parents, there's no reason for them to buy in.

If they're interested in timeshares for international travel, there are other timeshare companies that might be suited for their needs.

A DVC purchase has worked well for me. I have 200 points and vacation at WDW every other year. Points not used are rented out. I have completed one timeshare exchange to Hawaii, long before Disney built a timeshare there. The exchange process was easy enough, but required research and effort to make it happen.

I do a fair amount of international travel paying cash for accommodations, tours and travel expenses. DVC would not be a good financial option for anything but visits to Disney World properties and Disneyland in California in my opinion.

I agree with others here NO. If you are not staying at a DVC resort it doesn't make sense.

You CAN book a Disney Cruise using points but it's not a good use of points, you are better off renting your points and paying cash for your cruise.

Another vote no. If you are going to stay at Disney, it can make sense.
In the past, when points were cheaper, some purchased points to rent out and made some money that way or at least broke even. At todays prices, that is iffy at best.
You can use the points on a cruise, but again a bad/expensive use of the points.
You can use them at RCI, but again a bad/expensive use of points.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter