• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Thinking of Entering the Digital Camera World

We love our digital camera. We have an Olympus D-460, a 1.3 megapixel with enough memory for around 160 pictures. Plan on lugging along a laptop for storage of your pictures.

But it was very nice. The laptops come along anyway for hubby and my jobs. We'd snap photos all day without worrying about using up film or processing costs, download them in the evening, the kids would get to see them immediately, and start the next day with room for 160 more photos. We haven't had any developed into physical photos yet (my parents had their camera with them and I have copies of their photos), but when I do get my pictures developed, I'll only pick a dozen or so really good ones from the entire trip. (I develop photos once a year now and give a package out to relatives for Christmas).

I have an "older" model Kodak Digital and I just love it. While bringing a laptop on your trip is a great suggestion, I don't have one...I carry two extra chips, giving me a total of 417 photos. It is so much cheaper (in the long run, of course) than getting film developed, plus the software lets you edit and enhance your photos. Find a model that has the features you're looking for and enjoy.

crisi,

Can you post a link to some of your pictures. I would like to compare a nice digital camera to what my 35mm can do.

Thanks.

I don't have any up publically. They are of my kids and I'm a little protective of them that way.

Thanks for the comments. Anybody know anything about the zoom features and the need for megapixels. This seems to be what adds to the cost.

If you look at the specs of most digital cameras it will convert the digital zoom to the 35mm equivalent. This should give you a better understanding of the zoom. Also, take a look at the f stops at both ends of the range. The higher the maximum depth of field the more it will cost.

For example the d-460 reads...

Lens Olympus aspherical glass 3x zoomlens 7.1-21.3mm (35mm-98mm equivalent in 35mm photography), 7 elements in 5groups

Aperture Range F 2.8/4.8-f8.0 (adjustable in 1/3steps)

I buy all my eqiupment from adorama. You might want to check them out.

HTH
D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter