Thinking of Renting Out My Points--Nervous

DisneyStarWisher

Love My DVC!!!
I am thinking of renting out some of my points through David's Rentals. I am nervous though about what happens if there are problems during the stay. Am I liable if whoever rents my points trashes the place?

The following provision is listed in a rental agreement with David's.
David's Contract said:
Renter agrees to abide by all Disney Vacation Club terms, policies and rules applicable to Disney Vacation Club owners and Disney Vacation Club membership. Renter agrees to be responsible for any unpaid charges or damages to the unit rented, including all contents and improvements, Disney Vacation Club property and Disney property during his/her stay that are assessed against the Member or his membership. Any unpaid charges or damages assessed shall be reimbursed to the Owner or the Intermediary or their assigned agents within 60 business days of notice to Renter. Sending a fax or e-mail copy of a Disney Vacation Club or other Walt Disney Company communication assessing the charges or damages shall satisfy notice to the Renter. Renter agrees to pay any and all charges to the Owner or the Intermediary or their assigned agents for any fees or charges related to the collection of any monies owing.
Contractually you're protected, so you would have grounds to pursue legal remedies. But I don't have first hand experience as to what happens should the place get trashed. I imagine you'll have to be responsible for the costs up front and that David's would help make you whole again.

I am thinking of renting out some of my points through David's Rentals. I am nervous though about what happens if there are problems during the stay. Am I liable if whoever rents my points trashes the place?
I've used them a couple of times and each time I was nervous about a renter either trashing the place or leaving an unpaid bill. I have no idea if David's has ever had to go after a renter to recover damages, but I would hope that they stand behind their owners. If word ever got out that they didn't, then it could be very hurtful to their company. Without owners, they don't have a business. If they don't offer the owners some kind of protections, then how are we better off dealing with David's (or any other middleman) than if we were to rent directly? The rental agreement does hold the renter liable for damages and unpaid charges but how they go about collecting from the renter is unclear.

I was nervous when I first rented but it went very smooth. The renter added their credit card to the room and charged on that. You can call to ensure that none of your card numbers are on file. I was very happy with the entire process.

I was nervous when I first rented but it went very smooth. The renter added their credit card to the room and charged on that. You can call to ensure that none of your card numbers are on file. I was very happy with the entire process.

I'm pretty sure even if you had a credit card on file, they can't access it as they aren't a member and the reservation is under their name, not yours.

Two-time renter here! For both of my stays, my name was on the reservation, and I was required to put my credit card on file for incidentals. The only time I saw the DVC owner's name was on the contract with David's. So Disney did have a direct way to charge ME if I trashed the place. Good thing I didn't. ;)

Being that it's DVC, I'm not sure if you would have any other consequences as an owner. However, I would be more than confident that David's would assist you with any issues. They have always been quick and thorough with their responses to me for any questions. Their customer service is top notch!

I only rent to friends and co-workers. Why give David the extra money and you avoid all risks with renting to complete strangers. You ARE the owner and therefor responsible for damages and unpaid bills. David's does not remove this liability.

I only rent to friends and co-workers. Why give David the extra money and you avoid all risks with renting to complete strangers. You ARE the owner and therefor responsible for damages and unpaid bills. David's does not remove this liability.

David's will cover you if there are damages or unpaid bills however. I don't know the exact process, but you either pay for it and get reimbursed or David pays for it and then goes after the rentees.

we have rented through davids and directly through these message boards and another with no contract.... no issues anytime. cant say that it will never happen but only offering our experience

The following provision is listed in a rental agreement with David's.

Contractually you're protected, so you would have grounds to pursue legal remedies. But I don't have first hand experience as to what happens should the place get trashed. I imagine you'll have to be responsible for the costs up front and that David's would help make you whole again.

But how does that work if a US renter rents points through a Canadian Co that is transferring points from a US owner? Don’t know much about international laws... I am in the US & rented points from David’s in the past. It was an easy transaction and we had a blast at the Poly when it first opened. No issues at all. Very happy with the service David’s provided. Then again, we’re not exactly the room trashing type. . Good luck!!

I had rented tons of points out thru them and had several in depth conversations with multiple employees about what would happen if the renter trashed the villa or left unpaid charges while using my points. They have assured me multiple times that they have never had a problem with a renter not paying or leaving damages, but if they did, they would stand behind me in working things out.

I have also inquired about what would happen if the renter asked for an upgrade and member services took more of my points without asking. I was assured that this also had never happened, but they would stand behind me if it did.

As you can see, I am a worrier. I have rented out multiple reservations with them, and everything has worked out perfectly.

Call them and tell them your fears. I did And they made me feel ok with trusting them to rent out my points :) Just rented out more points thru them this weekend!

Very good question, Hopefully. I agree the legalities could be complex since David's is in Canada.

If the renter incurs unrecovered costs, and Disney tries to recover from the owner, David's will reimburse the owner. David's will then blacklist the renter and write off the amount paid to the owner as a cost of doing business. The end.

All this is fine and dandy, but good luck collecting a judgement from someone (in a different state or country) that trashed a room and has bad to no credit.

In reality, this is extremely rare, but not totally unforseeable.

I would assume the owner of the points would be the deep pocket as they arraigned for the guest to use their points.

If the renter incurs unrecovered costs, and Disney tries to recover from the owner, David's will reimburse the owner. David's will then blacklist the renter and write off the amount paid to the owner as a cost of doing business. The end.
Did you get this from someone at David’s? Or was this from experience? I couldn’t find anything in the contract.

Because if your friends or coworkers have to cancel and you can't give them a refund because someone broke their arm the day before travel, it can put a strain on the relationship. Or if your friend or coworker asks to "pay you later" and never does. David takes care of the risks of renting to complete strangers. And I have in fifteen years here never heard of anyone getting charged for a renter (or themselves) trashing the room. In theory, you are liable. In practice, you are far more likely to have a renter who doesn't pay in full.

I'm not an owner but I've rented. I always thought, as when I booked thru Disney, by me giving them my credit card, they would hold me responsible and charge what they could on that. Is that not the process? I've never destroyed anything so I don't know

I'm not an owner but I've rented. I always thought, as when I booked thru Disney, by me giving them my credit card, they would hold me responsible and charge what they could on that. Is that not the process? I've never destroyed anything so I don't know

That is what should happen, but by contract, owners are responsible for room damage. So if they can't get satisfaction from you (say the card you put on account does not go through - or even if you refuse to put a card on account, which you can do), they may go after the owner - most likely putting a hold on the account until damages are settled. As I said, as far as I know, no one here has ever even heard of it happening. Its a risk to an owner, but apparently a small one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter